PTSD and you.

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Loadie
Grand Poobah

Re: PTSD and you.

Postby Loadie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 am

Man, I read that and it tore me up inside!

I know that feeling all to well, been so very close so many times too!

Rest In Peace! I hope and pray your pain is gone! The only one true thing I have learned about suicide, the pain shifts from the person who took their own life to those that loved them so very much! Thank god for a loving and supportive family! After reading the pain transfer comment somewhere else it hit home to me, I just couldn’t do it to hurt my family even more than I already have! The guilt one has for hurting their family members because of PTSI and the anger that comes with it sucks balls!

Another thing I have learned is NEVER SAY SORRY, SAY THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING ME!

Just my $.00000000002 worth

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 am

Striker wrote:well said Loadie. How are you doing?

Still alive and kicking!

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 am

devilwoman wrote:It's mandatory for Ontario services. I'm an instructor for it at our college and we are working to get the staff who didn't receive it at OPC (around 5000) trained within the next 2 years. We run 2/3 classes a week.

It's good to see even senior constables taking it seriously. I'm a huge proponent of it and felt very grateful to get one of the instructor spots.

:thumbsup:

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Sadly most days it’s one hour at a time!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Loadie wrote:Sadly most days it’s one hour at a time!

Same brother.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:48 am

devilwoman wrote:It's mandatory for Ontario services. I'm an instructor for it at our college and we are working to get the staff who didn't receive it at OPC (around 5000) trained within the next 2 years. We run 2/3 classes a week.

It's good to see even senior constables taking it seriously. I'm a huge proponent of it and felt very grateful to get one of the instructor spots.

Do you find that it helps other in your service?

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:19 pm

Time willl determine that. We still have quite a large number of the service to get through so if it's effectiveness won't be truly determined for years to come.

The problem is, even though supervisory staff all the way up to Saunders have received the supervisor version, many still aren't great at providing support. They are either uncomfortable, forgetful or "box checkers".

That's why the frontline version is so necessary, so that everyone can look out for each other.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:34 pm

devilwoman wrote:

Time willl determine that. We still have quite a large number of the service to get through so if it's effectiveness won't be truly determined for years to come.

The problem is, even though supervisory staff all the way up to Saunders have received the supervisor version, many still aren't great at providing support. They are either uncomfortable, forgetful or "box checkers".

That's why the frontline version is so necessary, so that everyone can look out for each other.

Where is the like button!

It’s truly sad that some supervisors just don’t believe in PTSD, some Chiefs don’t either, even though they claim to! Won’t go any further with that one at this point!

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:09 am

devilwoman wrote:

I absolutely could not agree more with that. I found that overall Mac (as in union and HR and even the command staff) were very very supportive of my health issues. While I did not find the frontline staff bad, I found some were not very comfortable in me explaining some of my issues, but most were actually interested in listening and learning because it helps me work smoother with people.

striker

Postby striker » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:22 am

We lost 2 more Correctional Officers in the last few days. RIP bothers..
I've got an inch a half guard rail nut on a length of 550 cord. it's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's colouring books for Christmas.