OPP chooses new sidearm: Glock 17

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
FedCO
King Poobah

OPP chooses new sidearm: Glock 17

Postby FedCO » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8987760592

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/ontari ... z4k1eKPXy0
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

AmmolandAmmoland

Advertisement
MENU
Home » Firearm News

Ontario Provincial Police Replaces its Sig Pistols with GLOCK Pistols

Posted on June 12, 2017 by AmmoLand Editor Duncan Johnson

Glock 17 Gen 4 FS Pistol
GLOCK, Inc.SMYRNA, Ga. –-(Ammoland.com)-GLOCK has been chosen as the next generation pistol by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and will be replacing their current Sig Sauer pistol. The contract will be fulfilled through GLOCK’s Canadian law enforcement distributor, Rampart Corp.

GLOCK’s safe and reliable design is the number one choice of Canadian law enforcement. GLOCK provides the highest level of customer support and its pistols are extremely cost effective to maintain, which are both critical issues for any law enforcement agency. “We are excited to be working with the OPP, which is one of Canada’s premier law enforcement agencies, and look forward to a long relationship with it,” said James Cassells, GLOCK Canadian Sales Manager.

The OPP is one of North America's largest law enforcement agencies with more than 6,200 uniformed officers, 3,100 civilian employees, and 800 Auxiliary officers. It provides essential services that ensure the safety and security of the people of the Province of Ontario and is responsible for policing over one million square kilometers of land and waterways. The OPP further provides frontline policing services to more than 320 Ontario municipalities and patrols over 126,000 kilometers of provincial roadways. It has many specialized units, including drug enforcement, aviation, explosive disposal, search and rescue, canine, and emergency response.

About GLOCK, Inc.

GLOCK is a leading global manufacturer of firearms. The simple, safe design of GLOCK’s polymer-based pistols revolutionized the firearms industry and made GLOCK pistols a favorite of military and law enforcement agencies worldwide and among pistol owners. In 2017, GLOCK celebrates its 31st Anniversary in the United States. Renowned for featuring three safeties, GLOCK pistols offer users of every lifestyle confidence they can rely on. GLOCK, Inc. is based in Smyrna, Georgia. For more information, please visit us.glock.com.

Advertisement

Tagged: Canada, contract, Glock, Handguns, Law Enforcement, Sig Sauer8 Comments

8 thoughts on “Ontario Provincial Police Replaces its Sig Pistols with GLOCK Pistols”

Steve says:
June 14, 2017 at 3:55 PM
CPS is in the same process going from .40 Cal Glock 22’s to 9mm 17’s, but no anticipated roll out date set yet. Cost savings is likely the biggest reason for the savings and the fact that .40 is getting harder to obtain in bulk. Secondly is for the ergonomics. I’ll let you read whatever you want into that one. Ballistically I like both…..If i have a full magazine of either, I know I’m safe.

Brian says:
June 13, 2017 at 9:56 PM
The Province of Ontario mandated all police forces switch from .40 cal to 9 mm. We carry the Sig P229 in the OPP presently. Its a fine pistol but we have had it since 1995. Glock was chosen as the next firearm. What the other police forces go to in Ontario (City and Regional Forces) is unknown.

Rinaldo says:
June 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM
The Boston Transit Police are also switching from SIG 45 to GLOCK 9MM.. THE SIG 45 WORKED FLAWLESSLY IN THE SHOOTOUT WITH THE MARATHON BOMBERS but, the glock offers higher capaciity.

Charles Watts says:
June 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM
I carried a Glock 19 on the job for twenty years. Never an issue that she didn’t handle. I still own a gen 3 19, a gen 4 17 and a 43 in my pocket. Love Gloçks or not, the do the job like a tool should, flawless.

Bover says:
June 13, 2017 at 3:03 PM
Good choice OPP, Glock are amazing and reliable non expansive guns!

KSG says:
June 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Glocks are awesome! 1/2 the price of the sig. They go bang every time. Light weight. They dont have all that mumbo jumbo saftey stuff. Whats not to like, point and shoot. I bought a sig firearm, it only shot the expensive ammo. Nothing worse than a finakey firearm! For your average working man who doesn’t get free (tax payer bought, high cost) ammo, i want a gun that will eat anything. I sent it to sig to see if they could do somthing with its unreliability, when i got it back it looked like my 12 year old nephew had done the gunsmithing on it. Scratches and careless markes on it. After that no more sig for me. My only complaint with glock is they wont shoot lead round nose, non jacketed bullets without a barrell change. They’ve shoot everything I’ve fed them.

eric says:
June 13, 2017 at 8:44 AM
Would be curious at to the reasons for the change?
Replacement of outdated firearms, true upgrade of firearms or political reasons?

Adam says:
June 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM
From what I understand, OPP is planning to transition to 9mm for, among other reasons, cost savings and easy availability of ammo. To that end, new firearms had to be acquired and when the tenders went out, Glock was the successful bidder.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail

Name *

Email *

POST COMMENT
You may also like:
How Are Gun Rights God-Given And Inalienable?
Mesa Tactical Dramatically Expands Stock Options for the FN SCAR Rifle
GRNC Greensboro Gun Show Table Needs Volunteers
Kimber Continues to Support the USA Shooting Team
Home Page | Recent Posts | Most Popular
Copyright 2017 AmmoLand.com Shooting Sports News | Sitemap | Μολὼν λαβέ
[ammoland-next-post]
You May Also Like
James Comey
Comey Invalidates Special Counsel ~ VIDEO

MC07
Rookie Member

Re: OPP chooses new sidearm: Glock 17

Postby MC07 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 pm

Is that comment in the article claiming that all Ontario police services are mandated by the province to switch to 9mm correct?

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:31 am

MC07 wrote:Is that comment in the article claiming that all Ontario police services are mandated by the province to switch to 9mm correct?

It does appear that way and would make sense. Kingston Police about year and half ago dropped Sig P229 for Glock 17's. If a agency has the ability to switch it will be 9mm.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Everywhere in our region has switched or is switching to Glock 17
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:Everywhere in our region has switched or is switching to Glock 17

Where you located?

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Good move, in my opinion. Glocks are excellent service pistols, and the newest generation with interchangeable grips have been great for fitting officers. 9mm is a good choice as well. Nearly equivalent terminal ballistics to other calibers, more capacity, lower recoil. All around, a good call for the OPP.

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:20 pm

FedCO wrote:
MC07 wrote:Is that comment in the article claiming that all Ontario police services are mandated by the province to switch to 9mm correct?

It does appear that way and would make sense. Kingston Police about year and half ago dropped Sig P229 for Glock 17's. If a agency has the ability to switch it will be 9mm.

If its a mandate for the province we certainly haven't received the all chiefs memo... I know a lot of services are switching because of cost issues with the SIGS and the continual budget crunching that goes on in this province.

This and our Sig's were aging out is the reason we made the switch, however our ERT members will still carry the P226 . Alot of services are still carrying the .40 cal. I believe aside from cost there have been many studies that indicate the 9mm is just as effective if not a better round for law enforcement. So far I've carried the 9mm S&W , 9mm Glock 17, .40 cal Glock 22 , Sig P229 and now back to the Glock 17. Glock 17 being my favourite weapon !

To add to that if you take the price of a P229 and compare it to the price of a Glock 17 and throw on a weapon light the Glock is still the cheaper option.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:00 am

The Glock is a better overall firearm in terms of shootability and easier to service as well as the ability to change back straps to fit also
We took the folks in this region that have a hard time qualifying on the range and had them shoot the g17
Course of fire was the qualification course of fire and everyone passed with no misses on the course of fire.
In competition the Glock 17 is very popular
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:The Glock is a better overall firearm in terms of shootability and easier to service as well as the ability to change back straps to fit also
We took the folks in this region that have a hard time qualifying on the range and had them shoot the g17
Course of fire was the qualification course of fire and everyone passed with no misses on the course of fire.

Wow, that is impressive.

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:The Glock is a better overall firearm in terms of shootability and easier to service as well as the ability to change back straps to fit also

We had the same here in Eastern ON. Even our worst shooters passed the qual , we even shot at 50m and our worst shooters still hit the paper silhouette... these are people who had only ever shot the sig...

The only downside is Ontario Regulations dictate the use of the NY trigger (8lb) ... rather than the standard glock 5lb

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Bomani wrote:

We had the same here in Eastern ON. Even our worst shooters passed the qual , we even shot at 50m and our worst shooters still hit the paper silhouette... these are people who had only ever shot the sig...

The only downside is Ontario Regulations dictate the use of the NY trigger (8lb) ... rather than the standard glock 5lb

I have shot NY1 G17 gen 3. I hated it lol. I wish they would just allow the 5.5lb...

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:08 am

Anyone know if theres any truth to the rumour they are going with a lighted pistol ?

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:51 am

Bomani wrote:Anyone know if theres any truth to the rumour they are going with a lighted pistol ?

My friend is OPP in Napanee and he was told it will have a Tac light.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:16 am

Grassynarrows wrote:In competition the Glock 17 is very popular

Probably only because as handguns go they are relatively inexpensive.
Many new shooters buy Glock because of their budget.
I know very few long in the tooth shooters who shoot Glock regularly. There are so many better guns out there more suited for competition.
There's nothing wrong with glock... They're probably close to if not "the" perfect duty gun.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 am

Bitterman wrote:
Grassynarrows wrote:In competition the Glock 17 is very popular

Probably only because as handguns go they are relatively inexpensive.
Many new shooters buy Glock because of their budget.
I know very few long in the tooth shooters who shoot Glock regularly. There are so many better guns out there more suited for competition.
There's nothing wrong with glock... They're probably close to if not "the" perfect duty gun.

Soo should I get a Glock, Sig P320 or HK sfp9? I've heard amazing things about the HK Sfp9. Glock really the only company that has amazing parts and accessories within Canada.