RCMP auxiliary officers furious with proposed changes

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

RCMP auxiliary officers furious with proposed changes

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:47 pm

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/26/rc ... ed-changes

Proposed changes to RCMP auxiliary constable program:

• Ride-alongs and firearms familiarization training will be discontinued

• A National Activity Matrix outlining the duties of Auxiliary Constables will be created

• A National Training Standard will be instituted

• National Policy will be updated

• Uniform options will be reviewed

Seems like after the major Alberta incident some higher ups decided to make some changes stat. Now while I never worked as an aux (and i'm from Ontario) I have co-workers that do O dot aux duties also and they would feel like shit if this were to happen to them.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP auxiliary officers furious with proposed changes

Postby Tango5 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Especially that RCMP doesn't "own" the program just manages it.
The program is financed by the very municipalities, and in some areas, the Provinces, where the auxiliary members serve. The locals pay with taxes for it.

Them having the urge to control, just about everything they have a connection to makes me not wonder why RMD wants out. Nothing is controlled or negotiated locally.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 pm

It's certainly a complicated issue given that each province in which the RCMP operates has different laws & regulations on auxiliaries; makes it hard to have any national standards.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Excuse me if someone gets offended reading this thread but yes, majority if not all of us are frustrated and disappointed. After putting in all these years and thousands of hours it feels like we were given a slap on the face.

Taking to account that the force even considers providing us with Civilian clothing uniforms, the training part will be very easy, <Here boy, here is a lollipop, go feed that kid"

If they take the uniform away, which they will or the least change it to something rediculous, take the tools away then... Why need any substantial training at all?, it won't be needed.

[sarcasm]The whole friggen thing with the program last couple of years looks like a Domestic Abuse, where I get slapped around, told what to or not to do, where and when I can go and where not to, what I should wear and when...then, being told the next day it is out of love and care. Where I receive a note that it has to be that way > I Love U.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:35 pm

If the RCMP doesn't want the liability of unequipped members running around, why don't the RCMP just change the mandate so that all facets of the Auxiliary program are funded and ran on a federal level instead of provincially and put the same amount of effort American police departments go through when hiring, training and equipping reserve deputies and officers. Then just reign in their use with proper logic and reasonable policy so that they're not being used to replace regular members.

Considering the history of the RMCP Auxiliary and the thousands of members who have served their local communities with pride over the years across Canada, I find this rather frustrating and I am not even a member.
Last edited by Rareform on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Or.. Why can VPD CSO exist but we are liability? What's the difference really between the both of us?

Oh, yes. They get paid so apparently can take the risk to get shot at.
Our downgrade to zero isn't about our safety, there are still "somewhat operational" volunteer units operating within RCMP.
Crime Watch, Our great retaitrees on bike patrols, Citizens on Patrol to name a few. Those supposedly aren't at risk neither.

Let's not kid ourselves.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Tango5 wrote:Or.. Why can VPD CSO exist but we are liability? What's the difference really between the both of us?

Our downgrade to zero isn't about our safety, there are still "somewhat operational" volunteer units operating within RCMP.
Crime Watch, Our great retaitrees on bike patrols, Citizens on Patrol to name a few. Those supposedly aren't at risk neither.

Let's not kid ourselves.

Well, to draw even more of a comparison, what about OPP Auxiliary or Delta and New Westminster Reserves who have the same UOF training and equipment RCMP A/Csts have, yet continue to operate like business as usual.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:05 pm

Yeah, brother, you tell me.

Mind you, if RCMP forces BC Provincial Policy change, the reserves will be affected too.
For now it is only the RCMP Operational Policy.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:09 pm

Tango5 wrote:Yeah, brother, you tell me.

Mind you, if RCMP forces BC Provincial Policy change, the reserves will be affected too.
For now it is only the RCMP Operational Policy.

I wish I could.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...
Special Constable

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Simplimatics wrote:If the RCMP doesn't want the liability of unequipped members running around, why RCMP just change the mandate so that all facets of the Auxiliary program are funded and ran on a federal level instead of provincially and put the same amount of effort American police departments go through when hiring, training and equipping reserve deputies and officers. Then just reign in their use with proper logic and reasonable policy so that they're not being used to replace regular members.

I didn't want to comment on this as it is an irritating "open wound"' to some but I can't hold back.

There are ways to coexist, it's is proven. Unfortunately, there has to be a will and support. When it comes to most, not ALL, higher-ups, we don't have that.
To those against Auxiliary Constables, we are a scub and we are viewed as untrained wannabes that have no place within the ranks. However, to a lot of members on the beat we are as valuable as a regular member. Not sure what the % is but I would say 50%. If this wasn't the case, I wouldn't be receiving weekly texts from members to get me out on road.

To support that a mutual existence is possible, on unarmed or armed basis, look here. It's simple.

LAPD - http://www.lapdonline.org/join_the_team ... c_view/542

UK Specials - http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/special-constables/

BST
Rookie Member

Postby BST » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:23 pm

/\ Great links, and as you said, RM's and "Reserves" or here Auxiliaries can co exist..... just not in the RCMP

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:22 am

Simplimatics wrote:
Tango5 wrote:Or.. Why can VPD CSO exist but we are liability? What's the difference really between the both of us?

Let's not kid ourselves.

Well, to draw even more of a comparison, what about OPP Auxiliary or Delta and New Westminster Reserves who have the same UOF training and equipment RCMP A/Csts have, yet continue to operate like business as usual.

Not to nitpick (nor is this the most important issue at hand) but OPP aux also lack OC
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:45 pm

i was a Member of the Citizens on Patrol, and while it was nice, there was almost 0 interaction with RCMP (except to pickup our vehicle at the station) and there was almost 0 training too, we just drove around looking for trouble, and we reported it when it happened. there was 0 confrontation. also after the local RCMP got plate scanners, we didn't even run plates anymore. all we were really good for was getting donuts and coffee for the RCMP when they did roadblocks
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Fair enough.

Maybe the CoP program was a wrong example.
But the others do exist and do interact. Especially the volunteer bike patrols and Speed Watch units. They literally wear lime jackets with RCMP wording on them.
The Crime Watch is plain cloth with radios and a lot of times actuall unmarked cars. Done that. Somec auxiliaries volunteer at that unit.

The reason for shut down of the program is the possibility of being Targeted. Each of the above can be targeted if someone wants to target LE, no matter what they do or wether they are or are not under direct supervision.

Just saying.

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:03 pm

could this partially have to do with what happened in NB with the targeting of LE units?
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016