tahoe for police... Restricted

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
badbrad
Regular Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:44 am
Contact:

tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby badbrad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Heard word that the PPV Police Tahoe is discontinued or no longer avialable for Police/Fleet. At least in Canada

The incresae demand for the civilian model means GM will concentrate all Tahoe production to Civilian use... where the profit is. PPV Tahoe no longer avialble for Canada.

User avatar
Lights
Seasoned Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby Lights » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:09 pm

That's incorrect....we started getting the new ones with awd...same with yrp
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

User avatar
mark y
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby mark y » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Tahoe PPV's are still available in Canada. But, GM raised the price (by about $10K) last fall, and the lead times are 4-6 months to get them.

I was at CopsWest trade show in Long Beach a few months ago and talked with a GM guy. He said that their production plants are so busy with civilian Tahoes that they don't have any capacity to make police tahoes. He said "if gas in the US goes back to $4/gallon, then we'll have lots of room to make PPV's". Gas is under $2/gal there currently so lots of people are still buying the civi Tahoes.

We have a few clients who have Tahoe PPV's coming in the next few months, so they are definitely still available.

BST
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:35 am
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby BST » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:15 pm

I know here in AB the RCMP "K" post garage has several new Tahoes on the ground being upfitted. Calgary Police Service is still taking delivery for the K9 guys as well. The CPS Tac Team has gone away from the Suburbans and are now using Ford F-350's.

Queen's Cowboy
Regular Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Leduc, Alberta
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby Queen's Cowboy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:19 pm

BST wrote:I know here in AB the RCMP "K" post garage has several new Tahoes on the ground being upfitted. Calgary Police Service is still taking delivery for the K9 guys as well. The CPS Tac Team has gone away from the Suburbans and are now using Ford F-350's.


I was at Mega-Tech in Edmonton a couple weeks ago, there 5 of the 2015 Tahoes being outfitted. ALL were the 2wd pursuit rated, none were the AWD.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a soldier.

BST
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:35 am
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby BST » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:06 pm

/\ Mega-Tech has an awesome operation. I go there often, I am an emergency lighting mfg rep..

User avatar
Alberta Blue
Sage Member
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:22 pm
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Queen's Cowboy wrote:
BST wrote:I know here in AB the RCMP "K" post garage has several new Tahoes on the ground being upfitted. Calgary Police Service is still taking delivery for the K9 guys as well. The CPS Tac Team has gone away from the Suburbans and are now using Ford F-350's.


I was at Mega-Tech in Edmonton a couple weeks ago, there 5 of the 2015 Tahoes being outfitted. ALL were the 2wd pursuit rated, none were the AWD.


I believe its the 2016 that the first year to be AWD.

And, as was mentioned, GM has jacked up the price significantly. I wouldn't be surprised to see more agencies jump over to the Explorer.

badbrad
Regular Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby badbrad » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Apparenlty you guys all know more than Doug Reimer of GM Fleet does. His response today to our order "we are built out for the 2016 model year due to extremely high demand"

Yes there are plenty of New Old Stock 2014 & 2015 PPV Tahoes in RCMP inventory. K & F Div have about 200 stock in Regina.

The RCMP & other Police agencies like us are out of luck for the 2016 model.

User avatar
mark y
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby mark y » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Alberta Blue wrote:I believe its the 2016 that the first year to be AWD.

And, as was mentioned, GM has jacked up the price significantly. I wouldn't be surprised to see more agencies jump over to the Explorer.


You could get an AWD PPV in 2015 as well (2015 was the first year for AWD PPV). When we bought our demo vehicle (we ordered it last Feb, received it in May) , we had the option of AWD/4WD but it was an extra $4000 so I skipped it.

We are seeing a lot of agencies out west going to Ford Utility Interceptors (Explorers) just for the cost and the delivery time. The market seems pretty well split up between the Ford UI and the Charger. GM has pretty much eliminated themselves from the pursuit-rated vehicle market in Canada; Tahoes hard to get, Impalas going away in May, Caprice not available in Canada. The Ford sedan is just too small inside.

We've had a number of complaints about lack of room in the Ford UI when equipped with a prisoner partition. If you use the 'regular' partition from the usual manufacturer (I'm trying not to mention name brands here) then that's the case, but if you use a different brand of partition that mounts their partitions more rearward, you get a ton of room up front. That makes the Ford UI just about as roomy as a Tahoe in terms of driver leg room if nothing else.

That said, I still really like my Tahoe over the Ford. I find the visibility much better as well as a number of other minor things.

Image

Image

badbrad
Regular Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby badbrad » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Nice looking unit Mark.

We need full size suv as we are cve agency , the pi utility will not work to haul the portable scales.
We may have to hold off and order 2017 ppv tahoes in june or july for delivery in late September. Our 2015 ppv tahoes are working out well.

Safety Guy
Regular Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 pm
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby Safety Guy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:42 am

badbrad wrote:Nice looking unit Mark.

We need full size suv as we are cve agency , the pi utility will not work to haul the portable scales.
We may have to hold off and order 2017 ppv tahoes in june or july for delivery in late September. Our 2015 ppv tahoes are working out well.


How many scales do you normally carry at once and are you using the Haenni WL101?
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

User avatar
mark y
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby mark y » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:03 pm

badbrad wrote:Apparenlty you guys all know more than Doug Reimer of GM Fleet does. His response today to our order "we are built out for the 2016 model year due to extremely high demand"


I talked to someone at GM and they told me that "availability is extremely limited" and that "you can place an order but there is no guarantee you will receive it" (really?).

Interestingly, that's almost verbatim what they told me last year at this time, right before we ordered our demo tahoe, and we got it in 3 months.

Doug's comment above about the 2016 MY vehicles are in extremely high demand is true, but it's the civilian tahoe that is in high demand and GM is building those as fast as they can, not the PPV version.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby FedCO » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:01 pm

mark y wrote:
Alberta Blue wrote:I believe its the 2016 that the first year to be AWD.

And, as was mentioned, GM has jacked up the price significantly. I wouldn't be surprised to see more agencies jump over to the Explorer.


You could get an AWD PPV in 2015 as well (2015 was the first year for AWD PPV). When we bought our demo vehicle (we ordered it last Feb, received it in May) , we had the option of AWD/4WD but it was an extra $4000 so I skipped it.

We are seeing a lot of agencies out west going to Ford Utility Interceptors (Explorers) just for the cost and the delivery time. The market seems pretty well split up between the Ford UI and the Charger. GM has pretty much eliminated themselves from the pursuit-rated vehicle market in Canada; Tahoes hard to get, Impalas going away in May, Caprice not available in Canada. The Ford sedan is just too small inside.

We've had a number of complaints about lack of room in the Ford UI when equipped with a prisoner partition. If you use the 'regular' partition from the usual manufacturer (I'm trying not to mention name brands here) then that's the case, but if you use a different brand of partition that mounts their partitions more rearward, you get a ton of room up front. That makes the Ford UI just about as roomy as a Tahoe in terms of driver leg room if nothing else.

That said, I still really like my Tahoe over the Ford. I find the visibility much better as well as a number of other minor things.

Image

Image


How did you get a Tahoe PPV?

User avatar
mark y
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby mark y » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm

GM has a 'demo vehicle' program for businesses that sell vehicle equipment.

We had a Crown Vic Police Interceptor before this vehicle. The Ford rep said that they don't like civilians having fast vehicles like the Crown Vic. When I told him that CVPIs aren't what anyone would classify as 'fast', he kind of backed off.

There is nothing really special about the vehicles that make them illegal to own. Basically just some different suspension/wheels and more muted exterior trim. We have our company logo prominently displayed on the vehicle so it's not easily confused with a law enforcement vehicle.

It's funny that the police folks never give me any problems about driving it. I only ever hear comments from the Fire guys, and even then only very infrequently. We also have a master disconnect switch located in the rear area of the vehicle that disables all the emergency lights/sirens unless I'm stopped doing a demo.

User avatar
FedCO
King Poobah
Posts: 1600
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:

Re: tahoe for police... Restricted

Postby FedCO » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:13 pm

mark y wrote:GM has a 'demo vehicle' program for businesses that sell vehicle equipment.

We had a Crown Vic Police Interceptor before this vehicle. The Ford rep said that they don't like civilians having fast vehicles like the Crown Vic. When I told him that CVPIs aren't what anyone would classify as 'fast', he kind of backed off.

There is nothing really special about the vehicles that make them illegal to own. Basically just some different suspension/wheels and more muted exterior trim. We have our company logo prominently displayed on the vehicle so it's not easily confused with a law enforcement vehicle.

It's funny that the police folks never give me any problems about driving it. I only ever hear comments from the Fire guys, and even then only very infrequently. We also have a master disconnect switch located in the rear area of the vehicle that disables all the emergency lights/sirens unless I'm stopped doing a demo.


I'd just love to own one new. Better setup than the civilian one. Hd parts etc. Better cooling. Wish they build this into the civilian ones.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests