Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
imascott
Rookie Member

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby imascott » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Tango5 wrote:RCMP vs Sheriff issues?, I don't get what the problem is as a lot of RMs don't do traffic duties.
- firstly, they are too busy.
- secondly, most don't like it.

In general that is.
Unless, you mean Provincial or City traffic services complain... Then.. *There are lots of streets and HWYs*, lots of *trouble* spots.

Just general animosity. RCMP are a proud bunch. From what I gather, some cops take issue with deputies helping them out. It's the whole hierarchical thing. "you guys are rent a cops" blah blah. I personally think deputies are just the right people to do traffic. First because "most [cops] don't like it" and secondly because it would free cops up to do more. It sucks that the public have to get tickets issued by police for MVA violations on the one day, and the next day the public are expected to give them a call if they have a break-in or have been assaulted etc. If deputies did traffic, the only other time the public would see them is if you were in cells or court. Sheriffs... hated by riff raff and speeders. Cops... loved by public, hated by the riff raff. Seems perfect.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:59 pm

Tango5 wrote:RCMP vs Sheriff issues?, I don't get what the problem is as a lot of RMs don't do traffic duties.
- firstly, they are too busy.
- secondly, most don't like it.

In general that is.
Unless, you mean Provincial or City traffic services complain... Then.. *There are lots of streets and HWYs*, lots of *trouble* spots.

The animosity that I've seen and heard of in Alberta isn't generally with regular members. It's white shirts who are worried about losing their piece of the pie (and funding, positions, territory, etc) to another agency. The vast majority of regular members I've heard of have been either happy to have Sheriffs around, or ambivalent to their presence.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:32 pm

I got an email saying to watch out for another email.. Nervous as hell but at least the ball is rolling..
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Charlie1644
Rookie Member

Postby Charlie1644 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:11 pm

noanykey wrote:I got an email saying to watch out for another email.. Nervous as hell but at least the ball is rolling..

When did you apply? I havent received anything yet still waiting
What did the email say?

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:02 pm

I applied in May.

I just advised the Inspector of an upcoming vacation I'm taking. Figured I'd do so even though I'm back before the deadline. They responded to watch out for an email in the next few weeks.
No idea what is going to be in it.. But my guessing radar is thinking SOPAT.. I'm running like the wind.

When you applied, did you get a confirmation via e-mail with your file #? I was highly recommended to NOT email my application and supporting documents. Advised to use snail mail.
SAR Member

Charlie1644
Rookie Member

Postby Charlie1644 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Yes they emailed me saying that the file is active. Still waiting...

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:12 am

We're all going to get a chance to at least run the SOPAT.
I'd give it till Sept and then reach out.

Good luck!
SAR Member

ctrl
Rookie Member

Postby ctrl » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi all,
I submitted my completed application a couple weeks back and just got an email back today saying that my

"application has been accepted and will be kept on file pending a future class. If during that time we receive approval for a Sheriff Recruitment Class, you will be notified and your file activated to begin the selection process"

Does that mean the January 2017 and all of the 75 approved hires/class spots (as mentioned earlier in the thread) are already filled ?? Or does that mean I am unfortunately not competitive enough for current classes..

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:20 pm

We all got that email. Mine said the same thing.

They're looking to hire 75 for 2017, there won't be 75 for one class. That'd be nutty. Deputies are still dropping like flies. so it's probably more now. Least that's what I'm hearing..
SAR Member

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:22 pm

noanykey wrote:We all got that email. Mine said the same thing.

They're looking to hire 75 for 2017, there won't be 75 for one class. That'd be nutty. Deputies are still dropping like flies. so it's probably more now. Least that's what I'm hearing..

That's a lot of recruits...

Having said that, I know quite a few members who are currently in the application process for other agencies - RCMP, CSC, etc.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:07 pm

4 dropped last week to go to other agencies.

Personally, i think it's a good job, with great hours and a pension. You deal with s**t... but I've been dealing with that for years and awful pay, this is definitely a step up :)
SAR Member

ctrl
Rookie Member

Postby ctrl » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:13 pm

noanykey wrote:We all got that email. Mine said the same thing.

That's a bit of relief.
Yeah I know that don't have 75 for one class. I know in Jan they are looking at 12-20 per class? Hopefully they look to fill more than 75 in 2017!

PTBC
Rookie Member

Postby PTBC » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:35 pm

The January class will have 24 spots.
BC APPLICANT

APPLICATION: May 18, 2016
SP: June 16, 2016
RMAQ: July 11, 2016
PEP: August 26, 2016
PEP REC: October 14, 2016
MED: October 31, 2016
PSYC: November 10, 2016
MED CLEARANCE : November 25, 2016
SC: December 20, 2016

Troop 29

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:09 pm

SOPAT booked, September 24th.
Unfortunately, I have to eat properly on my vacation.. :banghead:
SAR Member

Charlie1644
Rookie Member

Postby Charlie1644 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:40 pm

SOPAT booked!! September 10th!! good luck to everyone!!