Occupy Canada

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Sly
Rookie Member

Occupy Canada

Postby Sly » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:27 am

Well seeing as how this is the rant forum....anyone else really annoyed with the "Occupy Canada" rallies/protests that are happening. I don't think people in Canada even know what they are protesting about. This image I found pretty much shares my view of it as I can relate to most of it, just that my GPA isn't nearly as good ;)

My personal favorite is how the rallies are against "corporate greed" how the rich get richer and the poor poorer but they still are using there BlackBerry, iPhones that they are paying a large corporation a monthly fee to use

/end rant.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Re: Occupy Canada

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am

I'm not protesting but I certainly don't think what there is anything wrong with what they are doing. Everyone in a democracy has the right to be heard (peaceful assembly and more importantly voting).

I have some issue with the banks, and their executives (part of the 1%), the fact that they turned the economy into a dog's breakfast because they were negligent in their lending, and essentially printing money, caused this entire economic crisis and the fact that the people who didn't make the mess were left to clean up and pay the bills (deal with the toxic debt).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:43 am

gotchya wrote:I have some issue with the banks, and their executives (part of the 1%), the fact that they turned the economy into a dog's breakfast because they were negligent in their lending, and essentially printing money, caused this entire economic crisis and the fact that the people who didn't make the mess were left to clean up and pay the bills (deal with the toxic debt).

People are (in theory) responsible for their own decisions. If you're making $40,000 per year, there's no way in hell you should be living in a 4000 square foot home and driving a Lexus. If you're dumb enough to take out enough loans to indebt your family for the next 10,000 generations, you don't get to complain.

And yes, I'm exagerating to make a point. But I'm fairly certain y'all understand where I'm coming from.

Read this in the Sun today:

Great news, America’s Occupy Wall Street movement is about to open branch plants in Canada. Soon, large groups of people will be playing hacky sack and urinating in your favourite park as part of their protest against Wall Street.

The protesters are blaming bankers, and wealthy people in general, for things not going their way, and I totally get that. When things go well, it’s because I’m brilliant. When they go badly, it’s because rich people are out to screw the little guy. Obviously many people on Wall Street did their part to wreck the economy. Some were outright crooks and went to jail. Please, throw away the key.

Others bundled together shaky mortgages, bad car loans and overdue credit card balances into collateralized debt obligations. Then others, including big banks, right down to small retail investors, bought those CDOs because the returns on them were unbelievable. No, I mean they were literally unbelievable, which should have been their first clue.

But people get dollar signs in their eyes and they make dumb decisions. I’ve been there too, but the point is we reap what we sow.

Of course, this also raises uncomfortable questions like, where did all that bad debt come from? Did those bad bankers force people to buy houses they couldn’t afford? Did the bankers make them run up their credit card bills? Maybe the Occupy Wall Street protesters should take their signs to the lawns of the houses they used to own and protest their own bad decisions. The same thing applies to those who are carrying too much student debt and can’t get a job with that degree in cultural studies. Sorry, but you made the decision to spend four or six years studying something that was never going to lead to gainful employment.

See, Dad was right: The world doesn’t owe you a living. In fact, it’s the other way around. Give the world what it’s willing to pay for and you’ll be just fine.

Then there’s the role of congressmen, senators, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, regulators and the Federal Reserve Bank. They encouraged more and bigger homes with artificially low interest rates, low credit standards and mortgage deductibility while failing in their duties to oversee the financial system.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has declared her support for the protesters. If she really wanted to be helpful she should actually picket Congress with a sign saying, “Down with Pelosi.”

Except for maybe Ron Paul, the Republicans should also take to the streets to protest themselves.

The problem isn’t just that returns diminish as more and more government support goes into trying to “help.” The problem is, at some point government support goes from helping to hurting faster than you can say “welfare dependency.”

The Wall Street protesters like to claim their movement is leaderless, which I won’t dispute. What they have yet to acknowledge is their movement is also pointless, at least until they acknowledge they are responsible for their own fate, as much as anyone else.

If their movement had some leadership, they would already know that.

- Monte Solberg, QMI agency

Food for thought. And yes - I believe that the protestors have the "right" to do so. What I'm not convinced of is that they actually have a reason.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Rugger
Rookie Member

Postby Rugger » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 am

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:44 am

"Speculators" and "trader" buying and selling fictional monetary commodities and artificially raising prices on commodities via fictional "maybes" threw our economy down the tubes.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 am

I could be driving the brand new FX4 F-150 that I want, but I didn't pull the trigger on it. Why? Because I don't like debt. I could have done it, but didn't feel comfortable at this point in my life doing so, in the event unforeseen financial events/commitments popped up, as they tend to do. It's not rocket science. Shit ain't free, and life throws curve balls from time to time. Make sure you can't deal with it. These people evidently can't and are choosing to blame life's problems on others.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:26 am

Did people reckless buy houses they couldn't afford. ABSOLUTELY. But at the end of the day the BANKS gave them the money, and the banks foreclose on the mortgage and get the property. Its not my fault the property prices have tumbled, they took on the debt knowing what the property was "worth", they took the risk, we (the 99%) should be left to bear the damage of that risk.

The banks (the 1%) rolled the dice on a risky game, now there bookie wants his money...but the taxpayers (99%) are left footing the bill.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:41 am

My $0.02 in all this is that corporations should be paying their fair share of taxes instead of the government handing out credits and tax cuts, then turning to us, hat in hand, and saying we're broke. THAT pisses me off and must change. We already have some of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world. Even without raising the rates, billions could be made just by eliminating the credits.

Anyone know the status on the amount of bailout money that's been paid back to the Feds? Only numbers I can find are for the US. I know Chrysler paid back theirs, but more curious to see the banks' numbers. Quite honestly, it should work both ways. If corporations are going to payback their bailout (welfare) money, I want to see every individiual payback their welfare money once they get a job.

Oh, right, what am I thinking, people on welfare in Canada don't even look for jobs. :drinking:

Protesters in Vancouver will slowly turn this into a housing issue. The old "I was born here, I have the RIGHT to live here" argument. No, you brain-dead marxist, you don't have the RIGHT to live in any given city. But, you have the right and freedom of mobility to find your lazy ass a job in a city you can afford to live in. Try Surrey. It's cheap and has a SkyTrain to take your reluctant, self-entitled ass downtown.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 am

gotchya wrote:Did people reckless buy houses they couldn't afford. ABSOLUTELY. But at the end of the day the BANKS gave them the money, and the banks foreclose on the mortgage and get the property. Its not my fault the property prices have tumbled, they took on the debt knowing what the property was "worth", they took the risk, we (the 99%) should be left to bear the damage of that risk.

The banks (the 1%) rolled the dice on a risky game, now there bookie wants his money...but the taxpayers (99%) are left footing the bill.

But we in Canada aren't footing the bill. Our banks did not get gov't bailouts in fact they have weathered this better then all the banks in the world. We did some bailing out of the auto sector, and what's rich to see is the CAW and it members joining in these protests, and no one is batting an eye.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 pm

48highlander wrote:But we in Canada aren't footing the bill. Our banks did not get gov't bailouts in fact they have weathered this better then all the banks in the world. We did some bailing out of the auto sector, and what's rich to see is the CAW and it members joining in these protests, and no one is batting an eye.

I know I was talking more globally as "we". Banks in Canada didn't get any bailouts.
ImageImage

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 pm

gotchya wrote:
48highlander wrote:But we in Canada aren't footing the bill. Our banks did not get gov't bailouts in fact they have weathered this better then all the banks in the world. We did some bailing out of the auto sector, and what's rich to see is the CAW and it members joining in these protests, and no one is batting an eye.

I know I was talking more globally as "we". Banks in Canada didn't get any bailouts.

So then whats the problem, as far I as I can tell there has NEVER been a society were everyone was equal, either in terms of monetary wealth, or power and influence. There has ALWAYS been that 1%, that has it better than the rest of us. At least in the last century or so, if not the last 50 or 60 years, the impediments (ie things like family lineage, aristocracy etc.) to becoming part of that 1% have erroded away IF you had some talent AND you were willing to put in the HARD WORD AND EFFORT to succeed.

Hell you don't even need to be a part of the 1% to really be successful in life, and by that I mean not living paycheque to paycheque, mired in all sorts of bad debt most accumulated to service peoples "wants" for all the latest toys. The problem is it seems that a VERY large % of people seem quite unwilling to actually put in hard work and effort, and they couple that with a weak will and undisciplined credit use and no savings.

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:26 pm

gotchya wrote:

Banks in Canada didn't get any bailouts.

My mistake, it had been a while since I read into the details of the backstop (bought securities, not in arrears, sold at a profit).

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:23 pm

I wonder what the reaction from some of these protestors would be if the so called "fat cats" came down from their office towers and started offering them jobs...

As for the students complaining about not having money/jobs.. 'Just goes to show tha just 'cause your educated doesn't mean you're smart.

You majored in art history or philosophy... And you're surprized and bitter that there's no work out there for you..?

Parents... Send your children this link... It may save them from themselves.

http://www.holytaco.com/the-10-most-wor ... ge-majors/
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

MBCO1
Rookie Member

Postby MBCO1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Bitterman wrote:I wonder what the reaction from some of these protestors would be if the so called "fat cats" came down from their office towers and started offering them jobs...

As for the students complaining about not having money/jobs.. 'Just goes to show tha just 'cause your educated doesn't mean you're smart.

You majored in art history or philosophy... And you're surprized and bitter that there's no work out there for you..?

Parents... Send your children this link... It may save them from themselves.

http://www.holytaco.com/the-10-most-wor ... ge-majors/

:thumbsup:
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Bitterman wrote:You majored in art history or philosophy... And you're surprized and bitter that there's no work out there for you..?

Equally as useless.
ImageImage