**Alberta Correctional Services - HIRING**

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Sierra Tango22

**Alberta Correctional Services - HIRING**

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:34 am

Information on hiring can be located on the link below.

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/newerc/pages/Home.htm
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Sierra Tango22

Re: **Alberta Correctional Services - HIRING**

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Also on a side note, You will recieve a 4% wage increase in April 2012 as our contarct was settled.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Stix

Postby Stix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Last edited by Stix on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
You, you and you.....panic. The rest of you come with me.

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Stix wrote:Do they have an exact date for when the new ERC will be completed? It says 2012 but I'm just wondering spring/summer/winter so we'd have an idea of when the new jobs will become available.

I'm pretty sure they are hiring now! i believe it is the fall, but don't quote me on that.

Maybe if there is a Alberta Correctional Peace Officer on here they could assist in that.

Stix

Postby Stix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Last edited by Stix on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Stix wrote:Ah OK. I saw that they had a Full Time position in Peace River advertised and casual/wage positions advertised for other locations. Edmonton looks like a better opportunity career wise than the institution I'm at now but I'm hesitant to pack the pregnant wife up and move a few provinces over for a casual position with no guarantee of hours. Thanks for the quick response.

You would be working full time hours. They are short staffed and if you have some sort of exp, I'm sure it wouldn't be long before your considered for full time.

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:54 pm

AB CPO to the rescue! :wounded: There is classes going through this sept class, but for permanent staff, I might be going to the NERC, so they told me full time staff who transfer will be going to either the current ERC, EYOC or FSCC to cover off staff training, then april 2012 i believe you will be posted at the current ERC in till 2013 when the NERC is up...they are hiring wage staff that WILL be given fulltime at the NERC when its ready. but it wont be for a bit..
:wave:

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Code44 wrote:AB CPO to the rescue! :wounded: There is classes going through this sept class, but for permanent staff, I might be going to the NERC, so they told me full time staff who transfer will be going to either the current ERC, EYOC or FSCC to cover off staff training, then april 2012 i believe you will be posted at the current ERC in till 2013 when the NERC is up...they are hiring wage staff that WILL be given fulltime at the NERC when its ready. but it wont be for a bit..

Thanks brother, yor're a good resource to have on here!

Stix

Postby Stix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Last edited by Stix on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stix

Postby Stix » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Last edited by Stix on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Tango22

Postby Sierra Tango22 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Stix wrote:This might be a dumb question but; who handles the Municipal Police and RCMP lock-ups in Alberta? Is it corrections or do they do it themselves or is it a different set up for each?

The City Police and RCMP man the cell blocks in their respective areas.

Once they are placed on remand status, the Sheriffs will pick them up, and take them to a remand centre.

Silver
Rookie Member

Postby Silver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi there, I am currently going through the application process for the Edmonton Remand Center posting. I have passed nearly everything, now I am on to the 4 day, unpaid orientation. Can someone tell me what this orientation consist of? I know I need to pass this stage before I move onto being hired, but what is it that I need to "pass"? :ponder:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Silver wrote:Hi there, I am currently going through the application process for the Edmonton Remand Center posting. I have passed nearly everything, now I am on to the 4 day, unpaid orientation. Can someone tell me what this orientation consist of? I know I need to pass this stage before I move onto being hired, but what is it that I need to "pass"? :ponder:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

It is just in class paper type of orientation, do a tour of the jail, learn the codes and emergency situations etc. basic stuff.
CX

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Anyone hear of when the "New Edmonton Remand Centre" will be hiring?
I heard possibly April 2012.
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:25 pm

tbell33 wrote:Anyone hear of when the "New Edmonton Remand Centre" will be hiring?
I heard possibly April 2012.

It is an ongoing hiring process. If you are applying from outside the SolGen. You will apply for wage/hourly/casual position for now until NERC actually opens it's doors.
How it works (to my knowledge):
1. apply as casual
2. run COPAT/Interview etc
3. get hired
4. you will work casual work on/off probably close to fulltime hours at ERC, EYOC and FSCC until NERC is close to opening then be sent for training as a full timer and will work NERC when it is open.

Or just apply to any open application for casual position at an centre near you and work casual until closer to the date of NERC and transfer as a full time employee.
CX