CBSA - Inland Enforcement Officer - Once again

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Zugzwang
Rookie Member

CBSA - Inland Enforcement Officer - Once again

Postby Zugzwang » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:15 am

A head's up if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, the educational requirements are very specific this time around.

Applicants must demonstrate in their application that they meet the following merit criteria to be retained for further consideration.
Completion by June 2010 of ONE of the following qualifications from a recognized post-secondary institution:
Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences and Humanities with a specialization in any of the following: International Relations, Political Science, Public and Community Services, Sociology.
Bachelor's degree in Law and Protection Services with a specialization in any of the following: Court and Administrative Tribunal, Criminal Law, Law, Law and Enforcement, Law and Security Administration.
Experience

Inland Enforcement Officer

Department Name: Canada Border Services Agency
Locations: Toronto, Mississauga
Classification: FB - 03
Salary: $58,638 to $65,580
Closing Date: October 8, 2009 - 23:59, Pacific Time Useful Information
Reference Number: BSF09J-010041-000012
Selection Process Number: 09-BSF-EA-GTA-GTEC-FB-003
Employment Tenure: Permanent and temporary
Vacancies: 10
Website: For further information on the department, please visit Canada Border Services Agency

Who Can Apply:

Useful Information

Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
Citizenship

Useful Information

Preference will be given to Canadian citizens. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.

Language Proficiency

Useful Information

Various linguistic profiles:

English essential or bilingual imperative BBB/BBB(French and English)

Education

Useful Information

Applicants must demonstrate in their application that they meet the following merit criteria to be retained for further consideration.
Completion by June 2010 of ONE of the following qualifications from a recognized post-secondary institution:
Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences and Humanities with a specialization in any of the following: International Relations, Political Science, Public and Community Services, Sociology.
Bachelor's degree in Law and Protection Services with a specialization in any of the following: Court and Administrative Tribunal, Criminal Law, Law, Law and Enforcement, Law and Security Administration.
Experience

ASSET QUALIFICATION:

Education, training or *experience in a field related to the position.

*Experience can usually be demonstrated through volunteer work, student employment and or scholastic activity or achievement. Therefore candidates are encouraged to indicate on their resumé, activities and or experience related to their field that they feel may be pertinent to the types of employment they are seeking.

Depth and breadth of experience as it relates to the position being staffed.

Other Merit Criteria and Conditions of Employment

Organizational Needs which may apply for this position.
Selection may be limited to members of the following Employment Equity groups: Aboriginal persons, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, women
Statement of Merit Criteria

Applicants who meet the above criteria will also be assessed against the Statement of Merit Criteria for this position.

Test/Exam

Applicants must successfully write the following three tests:

The Situational Judgment Test (SJT- 318) and

The Graduate Recruitment Test (GRT- 316) and

The Written Communication Proficiency Test (WCPT- 351) OR the Examen de compétence en communication écrite (ECCÉ- 353).

For the Written Communication Proficiency Test (WCPT- 351) OR the “Examen de compétence en communication écrite” (ECCÉ- 353); please do not register for both tests. Although, the scoring key for these tests are different, these tests are considered equivalent. Also, the WCPT-351 and the ECCÉ-353 are not the same as the Second Language Evaluation (SLE) tests or the Written Communication Test (WCT). The WCPT-351 and the ECCÉ-353 assess the candidate’s ability to communicate in writing; these tests are multiple-choice questions. You may write the WCPT/ECCÉ in the language of your choice.

The minimal pass marks are set by the Personnel Psychology Centre and can be increased at the discretion of the hiring department depending on their recruitment needs, and the importance of the skills the tests are assessing.

Pass marks: SJT: 60/100 - GRT: 23/55 - WCPT or ECCÉ: 18/50

The clients may be using the highest composite test scores of the Situational Judgment Test (SJT), the Graduate Recruitment test (GRT) and the Written Communication Proficiency Test (WCPT) or Examen de compétence en communication écrite (ECCÉ)

Please note that test results obtained before 2001 will not be accepted. To verify if you have a valid test result, please go view “my jobs profile” within the Public Service Resourcing System at the following link: https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ ... anguage=en

You may also be assessed by the department using one (1) or more of the following tools: standardize test, a written examination, interview, simulation exercise and/or a reference check.

For further information on testing please click on this link: http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/psr-rp/index-eng.htm

Challenge

Manages and coordinates actions and activities and conducts analysis and decision making for an evolving group of enforcement related files/cases or services.

- Formulates approaches and conducts detailed research, fact-finding, interviewing and investigation, control and enforcement actions and services

- Compiles and conducts critical analysis of situational information and data, and of trends and developments and determines and takes required actions and decisions relative to the disposition of files/cases, and to addressing issues, problems, emerging trends, requirements and situations

- Counsels clients and provides information and guidance to partners and stakeholders

- Provides input and feedback on policies, programs, guidelines, directives and operational processes

- Establishes, develops and maintains collaborative relations and interaction with clients, partners and stakeholders

Additional Requirements / Comments

CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:

- Certification in "Control and Defensive Tactics" Training. A seven day course will be provided. NOTE: Successful completion is required before an offer of employment is made.

- Pass re-certification in Control and Defensive Tactics Training (every 3 years)

- Meet and maintain a physical standard to safely perform the function of the Inland Enforcement Officer position

- Obtain and maintain a Firearms Safety Certification - "Restricted and Non-restricted firearms"

- Obtain and maintain First Aid certification

- Obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance

- Obtain and maintain an Airport Restricted Access Pass

- Possession and maintain an a valid G driver's license for Ontario and capable of operating a motor vehicle

- Willingness to operate a government vehicle

- Possession of valid Canadian passport

- The duties of an Inland Enforcement Officer will require you to wear a firearm. As such, you agree to qualify and re-certify in its use and maintenance as well as other restricted and prohibited weapons; you also agree to meet and maintain any medical, physical, behavioural and psychological requirements as prescribed and required by the Canada Border Services Agency

- Willing and able to accept work assignments within the Greater Toronto Enforcement Centre and the GTA Region

- Overseas travel is required

- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally at times under very short notice

- Willing and able to work shifts, on rotation, on weekends and on statutory holidays

- Willing and able to work overtime and standby including weekends
Last edited by Zugzwang on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It doesn’t matter if the cat is black or white so long as it catches mice.”
- Chinese Proverb

"To be ideological is to preconceive reality"

mar2222
Rookie Member

Re: CBSA - Inland Enforcement Officer - Once again

Postby mar2222 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 am

yeaa..the education requirement sucks..
i have a social science degree, but not in those specialized areas..
:?

I think if this time I get interview, I would nail it. Can't be that hard being a bank teller..

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:53 am

So what exactely is inland enforcement? Running after people illegally in the country?
POLICE OFFICER

TheWeazel
Rookie Member

Postby TheWeazel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:55 am

mar2222 wrote:yeaa..the education requirement sucks..
i have a social science degree, but not in those specialized areas..
:?

I think if this time I get interview, I would nail it. Can't be that hard being a bank teller..

I can't be 100% certain, but it looks like you'll be in competition with termed IEO's already at GTEC. The rumour mill is fired up and feathers are ruffled! :twitch:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Zugzwang
Rookie Member

Postby Zugzwang » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:18 am

polarbear wrote:So what exactely is inland enforcement? Running after people illegally in the country?

Pretty much.
“It doesn’t matter if the cat is black or white so long as it catches mice.”
- Chinese Proverb

"To be ideological is to preconceive reality"

mar2222
Rookie Member

Postby mar2222 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:52 am

You think they will use same interview?
written assignment and that bank teller 'role-play'?
I don't want to bring up old stuff, but two questions and a role play shouldn't be all they use to determine if you can be a IEO.

Roconne
Rookie Member

Postby Roconne » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:26 am

I am going to have a degree in Criminology, which is a section of Sociology... I got a feeling they wont accept that since it doesn't actually say "Sociology". Really interested in this job though so that's too bad.

kelly gruber
Rookie Member

Postby kelly gruber » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:32 am

mar2222 wrote:You think they will use same interview?
I don't want to bring up old stuff, but two questions and a role play shouldn't be all they use to determine if you can be a IEO.

Uhh, that's why they use more than two questions and a role play to determine if you'll be hired as an IEO.

I would like to point out that GTEC is aiming for the best of the best this time 'round, given the following:

mar2222
Rookie Member

Postby mar2222 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:53 am

Those are the 'standard' pass marks for the test, but departments use top-down selection usually.

TheWeazel
Rookie Member

Postby TheWeazel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:37 pm

kelly gruber wrote:
mar2222 wrote:You think they will use same interview?

Uhh, that's why they use more than two questions and a role play to determine if you'll be hired as an IEO.

I would like to point out that GTEC is aiming for the best of the best this time 'round, given the following:

:bow:
Yep, best of the best ... no physical requirement, below 50% on two out of three tests ... rampin' them standards up!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

mar2222
Rookie Member

Postby mar2222 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:04 pm

what do you expect from government? anything more is uncivilized.

safe secure high paying jobs with little accountability.

kelly gruber
Rookie Member

Postby kelly gruber » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:35 pm

mar2222 wrote:what do you expect from government? anything more is uncivilized.

safe secure high paying jobs with little accountability.

Dude, on behalf of the internet: Stop typing. Or at least stop hitting the 'Submit' button. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Herky
Rookie Member

Postby Herky » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 pm

mar2222 wrote:
You think they will use same interview?

You are not supposed to talk about the interview process for CBSA mar2222, it was said at the interview.

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Agreed. This thread should be heavily edited, or deleted.

Way to go there, Mr. Integrity. I sure do hope GTEC gets wind of your capacity for secrecy.
"One more thing..."

Westerly

Postby Westerly » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:39 pm

So, i don't get it...why would a political science degree help you in this job any more then say a business degree or an english degree for that matter. I joined this agency (CBSA) as a way to get into inland enforcement but it seems that every time one of the openings comes up they change the requirments. Next post will be for those who only speak french, live in Alberta and have a masters degree in cultural anthropology. Maybe some of you CBSA people who have been around for a while can help me to understand why I have never seen an Inland enforcement position on the internal job postings on atlas? I thought one of the best reasons to join the public service was the fast track to the sweet jobs. :ponder:
A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.