GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
DrancsCDN
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby DrancsCDN » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:40 pm

hsinom wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:51 pm
Has anyone emailed recruitment and not responded. I sent out my email on dec 21st.
I had sent an email back in October of 2019 with no reply, then sent a follow up email in December of 2019 and got a response two weeks after the last email sent.

Sometimes it takes longer than others but I always received replies from them some seemed more generic then others.
Applied: 04/18
Interview: 12/18 ✅
Psych: 02/19 ✅
Sec. Papers: 02/19 ✅
SLE Comp./Writing: 03/19 ✅
PARE: 05/19 ✅
Medical: 06/19 ✅ 03/20 in progress
Sec. Interview: 08/19✅
Clear. Granted: 08/19✅
SLE Oral Prof.:10/19✅
OITP: ?
Rigaud: ?

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56 pm

So, word on the street for cbsa is. There is a hiring freeze ?
Correctional Officer, CO2

Tornelco
Rookie Member

Postby Tornelco » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:40 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56 pm
All their social media kept pushing back the next opening. Pretty weird time for a freeze, didn't they just get a bunch of funding to combat firearms smuggling? I figured recruitment would be included in that funding.

Oh well, I'm on my 2-year deferral for psych so this doesn't bother me at all! My deferral might be done in time for the next opening!
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

5pointoh
Rookie Member

Postby 5pointoh » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:18 pm

Fonthill wrote:
I checked the website, and they are performing about 6 recruitment events across Canada until end March 2020, I hope those of us in the process wont be disrupted if true. Perhaps a future freeze?

For those who recently received OITP invites, does your medical need to be valid for OITP invite start date, or start date at Rigaud?

Thank you

neonlights97
Rookie Member

Postby neonlights97 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Fonthill wrote:
If memory serves me right, around this time last year (2019), they opened up a posting for only one month, until the first week of February/2019.

When I went for a PARE test run in mid-December 2019, a fellow participant who worked as a SBSO in the past told me that they haven't listed a Officer Trainee Developmental Program job posting in awhile, but couldn't elaborate further as she didn't have much info.

Patience is a virtue guys... I myself am waiting to apply; slow and steady wins the race.

Newrecruit1983
Rookie Member

Postby Newrecruit1983 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:08 am

ajc196 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:46 pm
JGR1991 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:37 pm
Just a question for those in the January intake, was there any mention of boot purchase prior to heading to Rigaud? As far as I’m aware there’s an annual allowance for boots (somewhere around $225-$250) I’m just curious if they give you instructions/list and if your suppose to arrive with your own boots ready to accept the allowance. I’m not heading to Rigaud until March but starting to make purchases along the way instead of all at once in the last week or two. Thanks in advance for any help!
You should receive instructions closer to your start date.

In the past officers were given instructions via email regarding specific requirements for the boots and then sent to purchase them on their own dollar. Once in Rigaud you would be reimbursed up to the maximum boot allowance before tax. I have not heard of this changing.

I can't say exactly what the specific $ value allowed is as this changed recently and I haven't had to get a new pair of boots yet this year but it is in the $200 - $300 range

I believe it’s 225 before tax.

blueline95
Rookie Member

Postby blueline95 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm

After 2.5 years of completing the application process, i am leaving for the college this Sunday.

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

I have been nothing but a bundle of nerves and been studying tons (they give you material you need to know verbatim and a "good understanding" for other things before showing up at the college). I'm trying to be excited but im more so nervous. Have i studied enough? Am i fit enough? Will i understand the material quick enough? Will i pass the gun range even though i never shot a gun before?
It sucks knowing ive been so excited to finally get to this point, only to be leaving in less than a week and all im doing is questioning myself. Hoping im not the only one feeling this way!

Cheers to this new adventure and hoping i can pass this final step to get my dream job!

(rant over haha)
CBSA:
Applied- Dec 2017
Interview- April 2018
Security Sent- June 2018
Psych - July 2018
Pare- July 2018
Medical - Aug 2018/ renewal July 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- July 2019
OITP- November 25th 2019
Rigaud- January 13th 2020

oliveyoo01
Rookie Member

Postby oliveyoo01 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:38 pm

blueline95 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm
After 2.5 years of completing the application process, i am leaving for the college this Sunday.

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

I have been nothing but a bundle of nerves and been studying tons (they give you material you need to know verbatim and a "good understanding" for other things before showing up at the college). I'm trying to be excited but im more so nervous. Have i studied enough? Am i fit enough? Will i understand the material quick enough? Will i pass the gun range even though i never shot a gun before?
It sucks knowing ive been so excited to finally get to this point, only to be leaving in less than a week and all im doing is questioning myself. Hoping im not the only one feeling this way!

Cheers to this new adventure and hoping i can pass this final step to get my dream job!

(rant over haha)
Just embrace it.

Don't worry about tomorrow. Be the best version of yourself, today!
BC Applicant :D

IronWolf

Postby IronWolf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:48 pm

blueline95 wrote:

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

(rant over haha)
I believe most people will have some level of doubt when going in, at the same time the fact is that most people that get to Rigaud, do graduate.

My advice is to embrace it, be excited, not nervous, repeat to yourself that you can do it, and make sure you don’t allow your doubts and nervousness to affect your abilities to learn.

Good luck !

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:18 pm

blueline95 wrote:

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

(rant over haha)
Love this post! Give 'em hell Blueline95!!!
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE: SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 pm

blueline95 wrote:

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

(rant over haha)
You got this! You're almost there!
CBSA BC applicant:
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for documents- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019
Pare- April 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pm

blueline95 wrote:

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

(rant over haha)
Hi blueline95,
I cant even imagine all the emotions that are running through you right now and I wish all the best in Rigaud. Know that there is plan and a purpose for you and you have been preparing for over two years for this very moment. Enjoy it , stay positive, and wish you a very successful training. You have many of us cheering for you!
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 2nd TBA
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 2nd TBA
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Emak wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pm
blueline95 wrote:

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

(rant over haha)
Hi blueline95,
I cant even imagine all the emotions that are running through you right now and I wish all the best in Rigaud. Know that there is plan and a purpose for you and you have been preparing for over two years for this very moment. Enjoy it , stay positive, and wish you a very successful training. You have many of us cheering for you!
Off topic maybe have you gotten a oitp email yet since your psych is coming up for renewal.
CBSA BC applicant:
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for documents- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019
Pare- April 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Emak
Rookie Member

Postby Emak » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:29 pm

hsinom wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 pm
Emak wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pm
blueline95 wrote:

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

(rant over haha)
Hi blueline95,
Off topic maybe have you gotten a oitp email yet since your psych is coming up for renewal.
No OITP email for me yet.... I know my psych is coming up to two years in Feb 2020. All other steps are fulfilled at this point. Not sure if I should bug recruitment about it....
GTA applicant
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Docs: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/2018 ✔
MMPI Test: 01/18 ✔ + 2nd TBA
Psych Int: 02/18 ✔ + 2nd TBA
PARE: 04/18 ✔ + 10/2019 ✔
SEC docs: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 ✔+ 09/19 ✔
Sec Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

avee905
Rookie Member

Postby avee905 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:56 pm

blueline95 wrote:

This. SUNDAY.
CRAZY.

(rant over haha)
Congrats and best of luck!!
Applied - Aug. 2018
OTEE - Sept. 2018
Interview - February 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019
Psych: Oct. 2019
Psych Interview: Nov. 2019