A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Chuk750

A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Postby Chuk750 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 am

Can anyone recommend some good duty knives? I currently carry a CRKT "MY TIGHE" but I am looking to replace it.
I am leaning towards a boot knife as well, anyone carry one? If you do, do you have any suggestions on a good one?
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu

Pete Broccolo

Re: Duty Knives

Postby Pete Broccolo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 am

Casey Jones wrote:i carry the CRKT M16 special forces for my all around cutter, CRKT sting in my boot and CRKT bear claw under my vest.

really dig the spiderco police knife, though. probably going to be my next purchase after a new flashlight.

You were losing me until the end comment!

A lot of hand-to-hand your way, or what? :swords:
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Casey Jones wrote:i carry the CRKT M16 special forces for my all around cutter, CRKT sting in my boot and CRKT bear claw under my vest.

What the heck? :ponder: I've never carried a knife for work. What do you use them for?

CO

Chuk750

Postby Chuk750 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:What the heck? :ponder: I've never carried a knife for work. What do you use them for?

CO

Many, many uses...
I use my duty knife on an almost everyday basis for alot of mundane tasks. Comes in very handy if you ever need to cut a seat belt.

Also, heaven forbid, if shit ever hits the fan and I can't access or use anything else I can usually access my knife...
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu

mpirooz
Rookie Member

Postby mpirooz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:12 pm

Casey Jones is ready for war :!: :!:

I personally like the 5.11 C.U.B. JOURNEYMAN KNIFE, 51009, but its pretty expensive.
"be the change you wish to see in the world"
-m.gandi

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:36 pm

I dont have a knife.

I do have a nice multi-tool with a sharp knife. I bought it because I was seizing plates, etc. Needed the screwdriver handy. Wouldn't you know it... since I purchased it, I haven't needed it once. Go figure.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:54 pm

I'm a fan of Spyderco too. They use good steel in all their product. Go for an Endura- look at the "waved" version- it deploys faster that a switchbalde. warriorsandwonders has some of the best prices and service in canada.

endura on the bottom, police in the middle gunting on top (discontinued)

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:51 pm

WorkingOnIt wrote:I dont have a knife.

I do have a nice multi-tool with a sharp knife. I bought it because I was seizing plates, etc. Needed the screwdriver handy. Wouldn't you know it... since I purchased it, I haven't needed it once. Go figure.

Someone's probably showed you this already, but if not... If you grab a licence plate and rip it back and forth and back and forth, it'll usually pop off.

CO

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:28 pm

haha.....that's stealthy.

I've always got the tow truck driver to do it. I have an old Leatherman Wave but it gets cold outside. ;)
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Well I've been to a lot of accidents in the last two years, and I've yet to have to cut a seatbelt. The Fire Department and EMS are always there first, but I don't even know if they've had to.

I do have a blade on my leatherman that I use, mostly for opening packages and stuff, and for breaking into places.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?