Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Tornelco

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Tornelco » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Jframer7 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:09 pm
The 2019 police budget was 362 million. So while it’s not good to lose any funding that’s only about 1%.

Since the new chief started the service has been looking at a massive overhaul to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. These recommendations are to start in 2020.

I do not believe this the amount from the government alone will affect much at this point. What will be more telling is the next time the city makes its police budget. I think the current budget is set already to 2022. But like all things there probably is an escape clause to back out based on certain factors.
Hey, Jframer7!!

Thanks for clarifying everything! I should've known better than to take Global News at face value. Obviously a police service with around 2,000 officers would have more than a $15 million budget... Just them click baiting with misleading news as usual!

Are you an EPS member by chance!? I look forward to using this thread in the coming months.
Correctional Peace Officer

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 pm
Jframer7 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:09 pm
The 2019 police budget was 362 million. So while it’s not good to lose any funding that’s only about 1%.

Since the new chief started the service has been looking at a massive overhaul to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. These recommendations are to start in 2020.

I do not believe this the amount from the government alone will affect much at this point. What will be more telling is the next time the city makes its police budget. I think the current budget is set already to 2022. But like all things there probably is an escape clause to back out based on certain factors.
Hey, Jframer7!!

Thanks for clarifying everything! I should've known better than to take Global News at face value. Obviously a police service with around 2,000 officers would have more than a $15 million budget... Just them click baiting with misleading news as usual!

Are you an EPS member by chance!? I look forward to using this thread in the coming months.
I would recommend applying! I just finished my week in Edmonton completing the process and it felt very good. Anyone I met from EPS was super friendly and welcoming.

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm

JEagle10 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I would recommend applying! I just finished my week in Edmonton completing the process and it felt very good. Anyone I met from EPS was super friendly and welcoming.
I was actually waiting until I got my results to reply to this but I've somewhat "started" the process. I did the APCAT/ACT in October and received passing results today. How did you find the APREP and the BDI interview?

Also don't you already have a CBSA security clearence? You're just waiting for an invite now, which agency are you going to choose?
Correctional Peace Officer

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm
JEagle10 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I was actually waiting until I got my results to reply to this but I've somewhat "started" the process. I did the APCAT/ACT in October and received passing results today. How did you find the APREP and the BDI interview?

Also don't you already have a CBSA security clearence? You're just waiting for an invite now, which agency are you going to choose?
I’ll private message you

LalaLand
Rookie Member

Postby LalaLand » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the deferral period can only be 1,2 or 5 years? I have never heard of anyone being deferred for only 1 month for example. Any info would be appreciated! Thank you :)

litedream
Rookie Member

Postby litedream » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:49 am

LalaLand wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 pm
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the deferral period can only be 1,2 or 5 years? I have never heard of anyone being deferred for only 1 month for example. Any info would be appreciated! Thank you :)
Hello and happy new years!!

From what I’ve seen and heard, it is usually a 1-5 year range. However, I think there are some people who pass the 8 stages but still don’t get on. Some people along those lines would get an opportunity to be mentored by a constable for couple months. I think it’s an opportunity to get a little help/push to become a potential RTC member. I think if you’re successful, you are picked and put into an RTC. That’s what happened to buddy I met at RWR.

privatryan1
Rookie Member

Postby privatryan1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm

First time poster here, I have my PDI in a few weeks and I need to have my reference letters done asap. Is there criteria the references should follow, certain points needing to be covered? I went through a file manager swap so there seems to be a few things missing and out of place.

Thanks!

BluelineAlberta
Rookie Member

Postby BluelineAlberta » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 am

privatryan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm
First time poster here, I have my PDI in a few weeks and I need to have my reference letters done asap. Is there criteria the references should follow, certain points needing to be covered? I went through a file manager swap so there seems to be a few things missing and out of place.

Thanks!
I just submitted my application, they ask for reference letters? From whom do they ask to get them from? I ask because i don't want to have my current supervisor knowing i'm looking for other work until i'm near the end of the process and the likely hood of me actually leaving his high.
Application Package - 2020/02/05
ACT and APCAT - Passed 2020/02/08
A-PREP -
BDI -
Polygraph -
Psychological -
Medical -
Background -

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 am

BluelineAlberta wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 am
privatryan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm

Thanks!
I just submitted my application, they ask for reference letters? From whom do they ask to get them from? I ask because i don't want to have my current supervisor knowing i'm looking for other work until i'm near the end of the process and the likely hood of me actually leaving his high.
If I recall you need 8 references and then 5 reference letters. Although the 5 letters can’t be from the 8 references initially put on the application.

kody102
Rookie Member

Postby kody102 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know how long my file will be at the EPS (Pre Screen) - Selection Committee Review
and how soon A-Prep will be?

My timeline is:

ACT and APCAT - Passed 2019-11-02
Application date - 2020/02/06
Admin Review - 2020-02-20
Background Check - 2020-03-05
Pre Screen - 2020-03-11
A-PREP -
BDI -
Polygraph -
Psychological -
Medical -
Background

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:28 pm

I would expect delays in all processes right now due to the covid-19 outbreak. All focus will be on maintaining continuity of operations, part of that obviously includes avoiding all unnecessary social contacts to ensure membership stays healthy.

kody102
Rookie Member

Postby kody102 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Jframer7 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:28 pm
I would expect delays in all processes right now due to the covid-19 outbreak. All focus will be on maintaining continuity of operations, part of that obviously includes avoiding all unnecessary social contacts to ensure membership stays healthy.
thank you

kody102
Rookie Member

Postby kody102 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 am

Just got a message that I was deferred till next year march. Sounds very devastating. Any ideas on what to do next guys?

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:56 pm

kody102 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 am
Just got a message that I was deferred till next year march. Sounds very devastating. Any ideas on what to do next guys?
Ya, improve your resume and reapply if this is actually what you want to do.

You may have better fortunes next time, or you may get deferred again.

What stage did you make it to?
"Hard truths cut both ways"

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:53 am

Yeah a year deferral is somewhat normal. EPS is known for lifetime deferrals, so I wouldn't take it as a "choose a different career" type thing. They just want you to grow from something they took issue to and prove your commitment.