Man dies after being tasered at Vancouver Customs

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Man dies after being tasered by police at Vancouver airport

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:39 pm

Man dies after being Tasered by police at Vancouver airport

Last Updated: Sunday, October 14, 2007 | 5:04 PM ET
CBC News
Story Tools: E-MAIL | PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK

A man in his 40s died early Sunday morning after RCMP jolted him with a Taser at the Vancouver International Airport, police said.

Airport security called the Mounties for assistance after an unidentified man began pounding on windows and throwing chairs and computer equipment in the customs area shortly after arriving on an international flight at 1:30 a.m., Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre told CBC News.

Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre, above, said the man was enraged, pounding on windows and throwing chairs and computer equipment, and refused to calm down.Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre, above, said the man was enraged, pounding on windows and throwing chairs and computer equipment, and refused to calm down.
(CBC)

"We arrived and tried to calm the man," Lemaitre said. "We tried through gestures to get him to put his hands down on the desk … to no avail."

When he ignored orders to calm down, police used a stun gun on the man.

The man dropped to the floor and police said it took three officers to handcuff him. He then lost consciousness and appeared to go into cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at the airport, the CBC's Chris Brown reported.

Few other details have been disclosed other than the man spoke an Eastern European language and a flight from Poland touched down about an hour before the incident, Brown said.

Taser devices are controversial because of the dozen North American deaths resulting from their use. There has been debate about how safe these devices are when dealing with certain kinds of people who are delirious or wound up, Brown said.

Police are investigating and a toxicology report will be done to determine whether there were drugs in the man's system. They will be interviewing customs officers and flight attendants, Brown reported.

International arrivals were rerouted but there were no delays in flight schedules.
With files from the Canadian Press

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... taser.html

Watch the video here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada

This guy was probably on something. He continued to struggle even after struck.

I think it's a great tool for police, but Amnesty International is persistent in arguing that in most cases, the taser was deployed when subjects were unarmed (I'd like to see those statistics). It sad that the public doesn't always understand why police do the things they do. Let's see some of the skeptics put in a situation like this. Frankly, the subjects who've been tasered are lucky that this tool was available to police, otherwise, they may have very likely have been shot.

Hopefully It's just a matter of time before all front line officers are equipped.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Re: Man dies after being tasered at Vancouver Customs

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:49 pm

Typical head line. Maybe if it was "Man Dies After Rampage" A man began pounding on windows and throwing chairs and computer equipment in the customs area shortly after arriving on an international flight at 1:30 a.m .......it might not even be noticed. Once again some idiot trashing a place and then dies and it turns into a taser good/bad issue. Maybe they should have given him a cup of tea and some cookies in stead! :banghead:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Re: Man dies after being tasered by police at Vancouver airport

Postby IMthePheonix » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:56 pm

I think it's a great tool for police, but Amnesty International is persistent in arguing that in most cases, the taser was deployed when subjects were unarmed

If they were armed they wouldn't be tasered, they be shot. I wonder how AI would like them apples.
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:00 pm

I don't have any details about this other than what the CBC and CTV have provided and I don't want to critisize or armchair quarterback without all the facts. However, I'm curious why the CBSA didn't deal with this themselves? Provided there was no threat of grevious bodily harm or death, the BSO's at VIA have all of the tools, training and authority to deal with this. Then again, considering the quality of reporting I have witnessed on other occasions, this event probably happened at pre-board screening for a departing domestic flight.

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Autopsy and toxicology will likely show the subject had ingested (intentionally or otherwise) large quantities of a narcotic substance (cocaine or possibly heroin). His actions and the symptoms he displayed are similar to those that are suffering from cocaine or heroin toxicity. I suspect that tests will show that the subject was found to be suffering from drug toxicity, and was going to die, regardless of any actions taken by the police or the medical team.

Typical of the media to jump to the conclusion that the subject died as a result of the Taser. I also saw one report in which they interviewed a woman from Amnesty International where she stated that the Taser was intended to be a replacement for the firearm and should only be used in the most serious of situations. :taser:
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:23 pm

El Conejo wrote:I don't have any details about this other than what the CBC and CTV have provided and I don't want to critisize or armchair quarterback without all the facts. However, I'm curious why the CBSA didn't deal with this themselves? Provided there was no threat of grevious bodily harm or death, the BSO's at VIA have all of the tools, training and authority to deal with this. Then again, considering the quality of reporting I have witnessed on other occasions, this event probably happened at pre-board screening for a departing domestic flight.

As an example and correct me if I'm wrong, BSO's deal with duties related to Customs and the police stationed at the airport deal with policing and security issues. Not sure about other jurisdictions but when a BSO makes and arrest at my city airport, the police take over the investigation and lay the criminal charges not the CBSA. The CBSA will then assist the police as required.

There is a reason why jurisdictional police are stationed at airports throughout Canada.

AuxHorseman
Rookie Member

Postby AuxHorseman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Richmond RCMP Sgt. Pierre Lemaitre, above, said the man was enraged, pounding on windows and throwing chairs and computer equipment, and refused to calm down...The man dropped to the floor and police said it took three officers to handcuff him. He then lost consciousness and appeared to go into cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at the airport, the CBC's Chris Brown reported.

Gotta agree with Rob. It's probably gonna turn out to be narcotic toxicity. It also sounds like textbook Excited Delirium.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:04 pm

Quick!! Someone died from excited delerium when tased!! Canadian Blue!! Hurry.. throw some money at Amnesty International!!!

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Bald Man wrote:
As an example and correct me if I'm wrong, BSO's deal with duties related to Customs and the police stationed at the airport deal with policing and security issues. Not sure about other jurisdictions but when a BSO makes and arrest at my city airport, the police take over the investigation and lay the criminal charges not the CBSA. The CBSA will then assist the police as required.

There is a reason why jurisdictional police are stationed at airports throughout Canada.

Without splitting hairs, you are generally correct. However, when at a designated port (such as VIA and all major airports) and in performance of their duties under the Customs Act (such as questioning travellers, examining their baggage and so forth) BSOs (well most of them) have the authority to, and are expected to, enforce all sections of the Criminal Code. They are authorized to use force to do so and are provided with training and equipment (OC, Baton and handcuffs) to complete their duties. IF this guy went squirrely in the Customs area there is no reason or need to request the assistance of the police unless the BSOs can not handle the situation. The only situations we are not currently trained or equiped for are those involving the risk of grevous bodily harm or death.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the involvment of the RCMP in the matter. I have just witnessed too many occasions as a BSO when some dude gets pissed off and squares up and everyone boots it for the telephone. I am not saying this happened in this case, the RCMP could have just been patrolling through the customs area when this guy went off and instictvely moved in. Once again, i'm still waiting for all the facts.

Jib
Seasoned Member

Postby Jib » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 am

It's less lethal, not non-lethal....and the general public and media should be a aware that a taser can be deployed on a person who is displaying 'resistant behaviour' (pushing, pulling away) up to combative (eg fist fight).
dura lex sed lex

AuxHorseman
Rookie Member

Postby AuxHorseman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:37 am

You know, I've often thought that Police Use of Force models / issues should be taught in highschool, since most 'experts without portfolio' (aka reporters) can't be bothered to understand them.

veritas_aequitas
Rookie Member

Postby veritas_aequitas » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:02 am

Don't fight the cops. Problem solved.
va

Let the tard pass. ~ Jason Barr

Footpad
Rookie Member

Postby Footpad » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:50 pm

:aye:

Ban tasers...shoot the pricks

Gard said it best in the other thread
Stress: the suppression of the urge to choke the living shit out of someone who desperately needs it.

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm

I read, in another article, that he had possibly already cleared the Customs/Immigration booth. I'm guessing he was in the area between the booth and the entrance to the terminal (still a Customs area because you usually pick up your checked luggage after clearing the booth and then go through a second officer to leave the area, at least at airports I've been to.) If he was in that area, it's possible CBSA wasn't involved at all (airlines have computers in that area too to handle lost baggage claims.... hmm maybe that's what set him off.)

veritas_aequitas
Rookie Member

Postby veritas_aequitas » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:59 pm

El Conejo wrote:everyone boots it for the telephone.

Don't know about you, but that would result in a quiet chat in the parking lot afterwards. I'm not taking issue with calling for backup, but you don't leave your partner alone to do it. Two on one right now is better than ten on one in four minutes. IMO
va

Let the tard pass. ~ Jason Barr