Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Ask the CBSA!

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:16 pm

OK, guys, this thread will be stickied. All inquiries about Rigaud, the CBSA application process or anything else relative to this agency can be posted here. There seems to be a lot of posts with a common theme here, so let's keep all CBSA related inquiries to this post. Off topic replies will be deleted.

Thanks for your cooperation.

CO

Denver76
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Denver76 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Hi

Whats the Passing score to sucessfuly graduate Rigaud??

Delley
Veteran Member

Postby Delley » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:21 pm

never mind I found the answers on another post. !!

pauluz
Rookie Member

Postby pauluz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:03 pm

Hi Guys,

I got my interview a week ago for the GTA CBSA competition, and Im just in that darn waiting period to get my interview result :D Any suggestions about things I can do to prepare myself for Rigaud? I just wanted to get familiar with the acts and regulations that we need to study. I have started reading the D-memos 88)
Applied to CBSA - September 2006
Took BSOT - July 2007
Took SLE - August 2007
Interviewed - October 2007

IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby IrishCanadian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:19 pm

pauluz wrote:Hi Guys,

I got my interview a week ago for the GTA CBSA competition, and Im just in that darn waiting period to get my interview result :D Any suggestions about things I can do to prepare myself for Rigaud? I just wanted to get familiar with the acts and regulations that we need to study. I have started reading the D-memos 88)
Just relax and enjoy your time before Rigaud. IF you get sent to Rigaud they will teach you everything you need to know.... to pass Rigaud.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev

El Conejo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby El Conejo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:34 am

Dude, don't waste your time with the D-demos now. Of the 22 of them most officers know 3 or 4 pretty well and probably haven't looked at some of them in their whole career. If you are really adamant I recommend you begin with D7-4-3 and 1-16-1.

the1captain
Grand Poobah

Postby the1captain » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:51 am

I have a question. It's about the job bank one enters if successful at the interview. I've heard different versions of it. Depending on my overall score, do I jump ahead of others that have been on in the bank longer? Is that why some seem to take longer to get off the list than others? Or do I go into a different bank that they draw from after the previous bank is empty?

Like I've said, I've gotten different types of information. I'm interested in hearing from those already working for the CBSA rather than other applicants. No offense to my fellow applicants. Just looking for some solid answers. Does each region run their job bank differently?
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

El Conejo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby El Conejo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:24 pm

the1captain wrote: Does each region run their job bank differently?
Sort of. They all follow the same basic proceedures. However, it is up to the invidual managers (usually the Chief or the port or an Admin Supt) to decide how they want to pull people from the pool of qualified applicants. Candidates can be selected by their highest cumulative score (a pretty common method) or by any single competency or cluster of competencies. It is up to local management to decide which skills (compentencies) their port currently need most.

For example, lets say you were in a pool with 25 candidates and you were assessed on 4 competencies (call them A, B, C, and D). Lets say your ranking was:

Overall - 1st
Competency A - 1st
Competency B - 1st
Competency C - 17th
Competency D - 1st

If management wanted to pull candidates from the pool based solely on their ability at Competency C you would be waiting a while. If they went by Overall score, you'd be first to go.

That help?

the1captain
Grand Poobah

Postby the1captain » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:34 pm

Thanks for the input El Conjo. From what I've heard in the Windsor region, it is your overall score that determines where one goes on the list.

Guess what I'm asking is if there are a list of 100 that have been waiting for a year and (let's pretend) I just recieved an overall score that is higher than those 100. Do I jump to the head of the line? Or am I put on a separate job bank list to be used after those 100 are offered a chance to go to Riguad?

Anyone in the WIndsor/Sarnia region hear anything about how many they hope to hire from this newest recruitment process?
I know they are interviewing just over 300 between now and the end of the year. They say I will not be notified whether I was successful or not in the interview until at least the end of january. But considering they checked my references the morning after my interview, I'm trying to think positive.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

loaf

Postby loaf » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Do they tell you where you stand in the pool?

NorthernProtector
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby NorthernProtector » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:58 pm

It is a pool...not an eligibility list...you are either qualified or you are not.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

Gamble
Sage Member

-

Postby Gamble » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 am

-
Last edited by Gamble on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Conejo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby El Conejo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:33 am

the1captain,

The two hiring processes (often know as "boards") are not mingled. Usually one must expire or be exhausted before selecting candidates from another. The exception would occur if there was a significant difference in the qualification requirements between the boards. This is happening a lot with all the changes in pre-requisites over the last 2 years.

And Geoff, I believe that the CFSC and CRFSC are only required before you are sent to Rigaud not before you apply - that may not be the situation nation-wide though.

pauluz
Rookie Member

Postby pauluz » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:26 pm

regarding PAL, will it increase your chance of getting hired if you already have it at the time of interview? They didnt ask for a copy of my PAL but I gave my interviewer a copy and she seem happy with it.
Applied to CBSA - September 2006
Took BSOT - July 2007
Took SLE - August 2007
Interviewed - October 2007

lukas
Rookie Member

Postby lukas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:17 am

Anyone else write the exam in Richmond today? There were around 200 people there... interviews, if u pass, are to be called to set up in approx. 3 weeks from what we were told.