BC Corrections Hiring Process

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
AMC48
Rookie Member

Re: BC Corrections

Postby AMC48 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:49 am

So from watching the BC Corrections ad, it sounds like there is also an option to work Monday - Friday [“some officers like to work 4 on and 4 off, where as others like to work Monday - Friday”]. However, I assume there is a catch to this and that M-F is probably reserved for senior / administrative roles, not regular officers (or officers higher in seniority).

Also, I know some agencies like CBSA allow their officers to switch to Part-time employment. Just wondering if BC Corrections does that too?

Wondering if anyone could confirm any of the two? Just curious.

Canucks2142
Rookie Member

Postby Canucks2142 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:55 pm

I just got an email from recruitment. I guess they are just getting clearances now to see if we passed or not. I guess even though we got to the medical doesnt mean we 100% passed the clearance. Suspense is killing me. Almost across the finish line!

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:40 pm

Comment removed
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 am

AMC48 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:49 am
So from watching the BC Corrections ad, it sounds like there is also an option to work Monday - Friday [“some officers like to work 4 on and 4 off, where as others like to work Monday - Friday”]. However, I assume there is a catch to this and that M-F is probably reserved for senior / administrative roles, not regular officers (or officers higher in seniority).

Also, I know some agencies like CBSA allow their officers to switch to Part-time employment. Just wondering if BC Corrections does that too?

Wondering if anyone could confirm any of the two? Just curious.
Monday to Friday shift pattern is for certain Records and Programs officers, which is a 5 on 2 pattern. Most Operations officers are in 4 on 4, with a few exception in 4 on 2.
BC Corrections Member

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Anyone else get a confirmation yet? I have Jan 04 training date, but no Official Letter as yet. Hoping to get by this coming Tuesday.

Canucks2142
Rookie Member

Postby Canucks2142 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm

OJ Cartonne wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:45 pm
Anyone else get a confirmation yet? I have Jan 04 training date, but no Official Letter as yet. Hoping to get by this coming Tuesday.
Yea I got my email this morning, saying I passed the Enhanced Security Screening and the Medical, just waiting for my placement. My training date is also January 4, 20201. I am also waiting for the confirmation letter.

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:42 pm

What? Yours said you passed? I will read my letter again, but was sure it said they were waiting to receive most or all ESS files from Victoria and then would let everyone know. To be followed by introductions to the supervisors for further details on uniform fitting, training, etc. I know for sure I passed the medical, but was concerned over silence from ESS side since their phone confirmation. All I know so far is that IF I pass both the medical (which I did) and the ESS (no clue on status there), a confirmation for the Jan 04 start is coming soon. (No idea what soon means.) If others are getting confirmation letters then I am nervous. I will email on Tuesday afternoon if I don't hear by then. Anyone else get same or different experience?

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:54 pm

Medical booked for first week of December! Last step then a whole bunch-o-waiting..
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

redemptionmaster
Rookie Member

Postby redemptionmaster » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:30 pm

My Bride to Be got the same date for January 4 she told me. Nothing about the confirmation letter. She said it’s a waiting game for confirmation, COVID19 has really caused mishap for everyone. Hand in there everyone, your going to training.

spoiledgoods
Rookie Member

Postby spoiledgoods » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:25 am

What does the medical consist of? Is it pretty in-depth? I consider myself in good shape, eat healthy, not overweight, and no health complications. I think mine should be coming up soon.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:19 am

spoiledgoods wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:25 am
What does the medical consist of? Is it pretty in-depth? I consider myself in good shape, eat healthy, not overweight, and no health complications. I think mine should be coming up soon.
Mine is on the 7th
Vision, blood pressure, hearing, body check.

Need to get a tb test prior as well
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Jump on the TB test now. It is a 2 part test and getting appointments can be an issue. Medical is a 2 part nurse review and then Dr followup: eyesight, range of motion, vertigo/balance, blood pressure, ear visual and sound check, peripheral awareness, lung/breathing and heart rate check. I think that was it. If you have existing issues they will dig a bit deeper on that of course. Parking is a cow and the building is having construction done on the outside so bring plenty of parking coinage and come 20 minutes early for traffic, construction, finding parking, etc delays.

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:47 am

spoiledgoods wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:25 am
It is more like a general body check-up, such as vision, hearing, family history, reflection, etc, in the purpose to check if you are fit for duty. It is pretty straight forward.
BC Corrections Member

AMC48
Rookie Member

Postby AMC48 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 pm

When did you do the medical and CVSA? I only got the email saying IF I passed, I would start training January 4th.

I did my CVSA September 27th and medical October 26th (Submitted TB Results November 6th) and still haven’t gotten a confirmation letter...

I know I passed the medical so I hope I pass the ESS...
Canucks2142 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm
[quote="OJ Cartonne" post_id=851775 time=<a href="tel:1605203153">1605203153</a> user_id=51365]
Yea I got my email this morning, saying I passed the Enhanced Security Screening and the Medical, just waiting for my placement. My training date is also January 4, 20201. I am also waiting for the confirmation letter.
[/quote]

spoiledgoods
Rookie Member

Postby spoiledgoods » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Is the call from PSSO part of the ESS? If so I’m waiting to complete that. Then medical in December....fingers crossed.