RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Eagles1992
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Eagles1992 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Fallenwas wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:59 pm
I will probably wait about 4 years to do anything. I want to be free of my younger stupidity before I apply. I will say I’m not exactly proud of what I’ve done (been in trouble with police but nothing huge). I’m only early 20’s but I also have a baby that will be born soon. I have a much bigger thing on my plate to take care of for the next couple years. I’m just concerned that I might not be able to return to school...
I am sure you can take an online/night courses here and there. Take something you can fall back on. Also, no one is a saint. Just play the hand you're dealt. Good luck.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon May 18, 2020 9:23 am

Fallenwas wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:15 pm
MattBlue wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm
Fallenwas wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm
Quick question guys, I’m not here to ask the same questions that are usually asked but maybe ask some new ones that haven’t been asked before, so here we go.
How did you guys know that you were a good fit for law enforcement? Where did you start? How did you prepare yourself for the process?
A great place to start would be joining a Reserve Constable program, either with a municipal department or the RCMP. It's a great way to see what it's like to be a police officer, and it's also a great way to volunteer your time. I was able to develop a lot of my competencies with the Reserve Program I was with. I had essentially the same authorities as a regular member when I went on ride-alongs, which allowed me to get into the action and conduct arrests. It was a great experience.
That’s the same as auxiliary right? I have one near me but I’m probably a couple months away from joining. I may put in my application and then see what happens. I have to get into a bit better shape
RCMP Reserve Constable Program IS NOT THE SAME as our Auxiliary Cst Program. To become an RCMP R/Cst you MUST have had previous RCMP or other Police Officer full-time service.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Fallenwas
Rookie Member

Postby Fallenwas » Mon May 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:23 am
Fallenwas wrote:
MattBlue wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm

A great place to start would be joining a Reserve Constable program, either with a municipal department or the RCMP. It's a great way to see what it's like to be a police officer, and it's also a great way to volunteer your time. I was able to develop a lot of my competencies with the Reserve Program I was with. I had essentially the same authorities as a regular member when I went on ride-alongs, which allowed me to get into the action and conduct arrests. It was a great experience.
That’s the same as auxiliary right? I have one near me but I’m probably a couple months away from joining. I may put in my application and then see what happens. I have to get into a bit better shape
RCMP Reserve Constable Program IS NOT THE SAME as our Auxiliary Cst Program. To become an RCMP R/Cst you MUST have had previous RCMP or other Police Officer full-time service.
Oh okay, makes sense. Is it easier to get in with rcmp than it is for provincial or municipal?

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Mon May 18, 2020 4:48 pm

Fallenwas wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:58 pm
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:23 am
Fallenwas wrote:

Oh okay, makes sense. Is it easier to get in with rcmp than it is for provincial or municipal?
Are you asking if it is easier to get hired by the RCMP as a RM or reserve constable?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Fallenwas wrote:
You need to do a WHOLE LOT of reading on these forums! Getting into the RCMP is only the first hurdle.

Fallenwas
Rookie Member

Postby Fallenwas » Mon May 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 pm
Fallenwas wrote:
You need to do a WHOLE LOT of reading on these forums! Getting into the RCMP is only the first hurdle.
I’ve been all over this forum and the search button has been mighty useful, where do you suggest I start?

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon May 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Fallenwas wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:31 pm
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Fallenwas wrote:
I’ve been all over this forum and the search button has been mighty useful, where do you suggest I start?
Page 1, each services specific thread.
K division.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 am

Fallenwas wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Fallenwas wrote:
For the RCMP, this thread, PLUS "Ask on Ont. RCMP Recruiter", PLUS whichever specific Province you are from the specific old threads for applicants from your Prov, from page 1 to now.
Same thing for EVERY AND ANY other Municipal, or Aboriginal / First Nations, PS, and any other Police (OPP), Law Enforcement (CBSA, etc), and Peace Officer (CSC, Prov Corrections, Traffic Sheriff, whichever) Agency you wish to flock-shoot apply for all at once.
Remember to NOT send an unsolicited PM to ANY Administrator or Moderator of these forums, or recruiter, other active-duty, or retired, member of ANY Agency represented on here. The others may not give the hind-quarters of a diseased rodent, but I will copy it and post it back on the pertinent area for the information and entertainment of all.

Fallenwas
Rookie Member

Postby Fallenwas » Tue May 19, 2020 11:00 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 am
Fallenwas wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:

For the RCMP, this thread, PLUS "Ask on Ont. RCMP Recruiter", PLUS whichever specific Province you are from the specific old threads for applicants from your Prov, from page 1 to now.
Same thing for EVERY AND ANY other Municipal, or Aboriginal / First Nations, PS, and any other Police (OPP), Law Enforcement (CBSA, etc), and Peace Officer (CSC, Prov Corrections, Traffic Sheriff, whichever) Agency you wish to flock-shoot apply for all at once.
Remember to NOT send an unsolicited PM to ANY Administrator or Moderator of these forums, or recruiter, other active-duty, or retired, member of ANY Agency represented on here. The others may not give the hind-quarters of a diseased rodent, but I will copy it and post it back on the pertinent area for the information and entertainment of all.
Ah okay, I’m talking to an rcmp recruiter but only because they pm’d me first.

JR0194
Rookie Member

Postby JR0194 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi all!

I'm currently employed with CBSA and am wanting to apply to RCMP within the next couple weeks. I saw that the application process has changed. With regards to the entrance exam it seems now every applicant has to successfully pass this. Just want to confirm that detail as I have two college diplomas and a university degree. I know previously if you had post-secondary you skipped this step..

Also any update as when they will be scheduling the recruiting events, I know Covid-19 is interfering everything right now just looking to see if there is some insight.

Thanks in advance!

oxlemar
Rookie Member

Postby oxlemar » Thu May 21, 2020 6:45 pm

JR0194 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:49 pm
Hi all!

I'm currently employed with CBSA and am wanting to apply to RCMP within the next couple weeks. I saw that the application process has changed. With regards to the entrance exam it seems now every applicant has to successfully pass this. Just want to confirm that detail as I have two college diplomas and a university degree. I know previously if you had post-secondary you skipped this step..

Also any update as when they will be scheduling the recruiting events, I know Covid-19 is interfering everything right now just looking to see if there is some insight.

Thanks in advance!
Indeed the process has changed. I'm not a member nor a public servant within the RCMP, but there is a post by Ont. RCMP Recruiter on page 2361 where a overview of the process is provided. Everyone does the RPAB now based on his post.

Good luck!

test100001
Rookie Member

Postby test100001 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Just saw all the changes they made to the process and I'm left speechless. I was expecting they would radically shorten and simplify both the recruitment and training, but instead they made it even longer and more cumbersome.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/how-to-apply

The key point is that going forward they added mandatory in person steps for the career presentation and the RCMP entrance exam. These will be impossible to do anytime soon due to the social distancing guidelines. Then in the fall as social distancing restrictions ease you will see a second wave of COVID at the same time as a surge in seasonal flu cases (which are difficult to differentiate from COVID symptoms). It basically means those mandatory in person initial steps won’t be happening much in 2020 or winter 2021.

The other change where all the paperwork (all forms and documents) are to be submitted within 2 business days is comical at best when they make applicants wait for literally years. Previously they would give you a week or two to send everything in. The amount of background information, nosy questions, and documents they ask for is well above and beyond what is asked for in positions requiring Top Secret Enhanced clearances in other agencies, even though most likely you’ll end up policing a small town or city dealing with nothing particularly sensitive.

Then for the people already in the process nothing is happing for any in-person appointments. Basically nothing moving forward from the phone interview steps onwards anytime soon. Then once those things start moving forward eventually very slowly, Depot will never return to anywhere near pre-COVID full capacity since social distancing measures will be the new normal in 2020 and 2021. Online training and remote work will also be the new normal everywhere else in government.

This means if you’re in the process not much will happen this year, and if you’re not in the process definitely not much will happen this year.

As for anyone who was deferred, declined an offer, quit training, or is a returning applicant, there is no such thing as a “re-insertion”. They will make you apply from the very beginning again and go through all the regular steps starting from zero.

Going forward RCMP will have big staffing shortages from here on and exponentially increasing staffing gaps in the next few years. I suspect there will be a big shift to more specialized civilian positions as a solution to reduce the amount of positions required for RMs. This civilianization has already happened in the recruiting units and in some HQ units. As for the mobility policy, you’ll probably end up in the worst possible places because that’s where the biggest staff shortages happen to be.

Hopefully you hopefuls have made other career plans for the next year or two or three.

Just keeping it real.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm

test100001 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:13 pm
Just saw all the changes they made to the process and I'm left speechless. I was expecting they would radically shorten and simplify both the recruitment and training, but instead they made it even longer and more cumbersome.

The key point is that going forward they added mandatory in person steps for the career presentation and the RCMP entrance exam. These will be impossible to do anytime soon due to the social distancing guidelines. Then in the fall as social distancing restrictions ease you will see a second wave of COVID at the same time as a surge in seasonal flu cases (which are difficult to differentiate from COVID symptoms). It basically means those mandatory in person initial steps won’t be happening much in 2020 or winter 2021.

The other change where all the paperwork (all forms and documents) are to be submitted within 2 business days is comical at best when they make applicants wait for literally years. Previously they would give you a week or two to send everything in. The amount of background information, nosy questions, and documents they ask for is well above and beyond what is asked for in positions requiring Top Secret Enhanced clearances in other agencies, even though most likely you’ll end up policing a small town or city dealing with nothing particularly sensitive.

Then for the people already in the process nothing is happing for any in-person appointments. Basically nothing moving forward from the phone interview steps onwards anytime soon. Then once those things start moving forward eventually very slowly, Depot will never return to anywhere near pre-COVID full capacity since social distancing measures will be the new normal in 2020 and 2021. Online training and remote work will also be the new normal everywhere else in government.

This means if you’re in the process not much will happen this year, and if you’re not in the process definitely not much will happen this year.

As for anyone who was deferred, declined an offer, quit training, or is a returning applicant, there is no such thing as a “re-insertion”. They will make you apply from the very beginning again and go through all the regular steps starting from zero.

Going forward RCMP will have big staffing shortages from here on and exponentially increasing staffing gaps in the next few years. I suspect there will be a big shift to more specialized civilian positions as a solution to reduce the amount of positions required for RMs. This civilianization has already happened in the recruiting units and in some HQ units. As for the mobility policy, you’ll probably end up in the worst possible places because that’s where the biggest staff shortages happen to be.

Hopefully you hopefuls have made other career plans for the next year or two or three.

Just keeping it real.
Then don't apply. You sound like exactly the candidate they DON'T want.

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:23 pm

test100001 wrote:

Just keeping it real.
I'm a little confused.

Does the RCMP owe you a job or something? If you don't like it, go do something else.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 pm

test100001 wrote:

Just keeping it real.
If you think that getting all these forms done in a couple of days is too tough, then you are not prepared for a short turn around trying to get a court pack ready for someone's first appearance in court.

You want to question the "nosy" questions, which are the same more or less for any police force in the country, then go on to speak about how you'll just be policing in a small town anyways - perhaps this job isn't for you after all. You have no idea what I have access to.
K division.