GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
treeego
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby treeego » Thu May 21, 2020 6:09 am

Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:40 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 am
At this time there are no plans to restart training at Rigaud. There is a Initial planning for going back to the workplace, however it will be a gradual process, occurring in phases. They may start with a limited return to the workplace. To be clear, that there are no plans at this time to bring anyone back to an office setting in the near future.
It is very sad to read this as I am someone who was sent home from Rigaud in March 5 weeks in. I have been doing online training with the online staff since being sent home and based on what they have been saying which nothing was ever said about going back next year this is disappointing. I know nothing is guaranteed just wish this would have been communicated to us better and literally last week being told by 3 different people that we would most likely be back in July or August no later than September.

Thank you for the update none the less time to look for a job once the economy opens up more.
I definitely agree, although since nothing has been set in stone, it's hard to reach and definitively say that training won't be until next year. I was 2 weeks away from starting in Rigaud and had just finished my online portion, so I was definitely looking forward to getting the ball rolling. Hopefully in the next month or two we will get some news.
CBSA
Applied - Jan 2017
Interview - April 2018
Pysch - May 2018
Pare - July 2018; June 2019
Security papers sent - May 2018
Medical - May 2018; May 2019
Integrity Interview / Clearance granted - June 2019
Online: FEB2020
Rigaud: APRIL2020

Tavio06
Rookie Member

Postby Tavio06 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 am

treeego wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:09 am
Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 am
At this time there are no plans to restart training at Rigaud. There is a Initial planning for going back to the workplace, however it will be a gradual process, occurring in phases. They may start with a limited return to the workplace. To be clear, that there are no plans at this time to bring anyone back to an office setting in the near future.
It is very sad to read this as I am someone who was sent home from Rigaud in March 5 weeks in. I have been doing online training with the online staff since being sent home and based on what they have been saying which nothing was ever said about going back next year this is disappointing. I know nothing is guaranteed just wish this would have been communicated to us better and literally last week being told by 3 different people that we would most likely be back in July or August no later than September.

Thank you for the update none the less time to look for a job once the economy opens up more.
I definitely agree, although since nothing has been set in stone, it's hard to reach and definitively say that training won't be until next year. I was 2 weeks away from starting in Rigaud and had just finished my online portion, so I was definitely looking forward to getting the ball rolling. Hopefully in the next month or two we will get some news.
I totally get you, I was in the same boat with you lol, we were just 2 weeks away from starting our training.
I've also heard from a few buddies of mine that are already in the agency that the instructors are technically "off" (reassigned to other duties) until early July....in theory if everything goes ok and they green light Rigaud with some adjustments to the current reality, then they maybe might start training again in August or September...but at this point its anyone's guess and my buddies are just speculating as well. Stay strong everyone, we'll get through this and we'll all get to Rigaud one day!
Last edited by Tavio06 on Thu May 21, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quebec Applicant
Process 16-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-006

CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
Applied: AUG2017
Request for Docs: DEC2017
PARE: MAR2018/MAY2019
Interview: APR2018
Psych: MAY2018
Security Docs: MAY2018
Medical: JUN2018/JUN2019
Sec. Interview: JAN2019
Sec. Clearance: JUL2019
SLE Writ/Comp: AUG2019
SLE Oral: SEP2019
OITP 15D: FEB2020
Rigaud 15D: APR2020

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 am

Tavio06 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 am
treeego wrote:
Newrecruit1983 wrote:

I totally get you, I was in the same boat with you lol, we were just 2 weeks away from starting our training.
I've also heard from a few buddies of mine that are already in the agency that the instructors are technically off until early July....in theory if everything goes ok and they green light Rigaud with some adjustments to the current reality, then they maybe might start training again in August or September...but at this point its anyone's guess and my buddies are just speculating as well. Stay strong everyone, we'll get through this and we'll all get to Rigaud one day!
Tavio06 & Treeego

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys and all of us. It seems that everyday/week things are evolving...hang in there.
Have either of you heard if you will have to re-do your psych, or are extensions being given?
CBSA

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 18
PARE: Nov, 18 - May, 20
Interview: Nov, 18

Psych Eval, April, 19
Security papers sent April 30, 19
Medical Eval: May 19
Integrity Interview Aug 20/19
Clearance Granted: Aug 23/19

OITP:
Rigaud:

Tavio06
Rookie Member

Postby Tavio06 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 am

BoltUp wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 am
Tavio06 wrote:
treeego wrote:

I've also heard from a few buddies of mine that are already in the agency that the instructors are technically off until early July....in theory if everything goes ok and they green light Rigaud with some adjustments to the current reality, then they maybe might start training again in August or September...but at this point its anyone's guess and my buddies are just speculating as well. Stay strong everyone, we'll get through this and we'll all get to Rigaud one day!
Tavio06 & Treeego

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys and all of us. It seems that everyday/week things are evolving...hang in there.
Have either of you heard if you will have to re-do your psych, or are extensions being given?
In my case I haven't heard anything from the CBSA since mid march. As for the psych technically i would need to have it redone before i start Rigaud again ..I'm hoping they put an extension or accept us as is since this whole situation is out of anyone's control. Only time will tell at this point
Quebec Applicant

mendoza68
Rookie Member

Postby mendoza68 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 pm

Tavio06 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 am
In my case I haven't heard anything from the CBSA since mid march. As for the psych technically i would need to have it redone before i start Rigaud again ..I'm hoping they put an extension or accept us as is since this whole situation is out of anyone's control. Only time will tell at this point
Same boat as you but I'm pretty sure we will have to do the psych as they will definitely want to make sure we're still fine after all this confinement haha
Applied- Oct 2017
Interview- April 2018
Security Sent- June 2018
Psych - May 2018
Medical - June 2018/July 2019
Pare- February 2018/June 2019
Security Interview - February 2019
Security Clearance- March 2019
OITP- 15D February 2020
Rigaud ???

Tavio06
Rookie Member

Postby Tavio06 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 pm

mendoza68 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 pm
Tavio06 wrote:
Same boat as you but I'm pretty sure we will have to do the psych as they will definitely want to make sure we're still fine after all this confinement haha
Very good point hahaha.....so at this pace we'll be there in 2021 :mrgreen:
Quebec Applicant

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Thu May 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Tavio06 wrote:
BoltUp wrote:
Tavio06 wrote:

Tavio06 & Treeego

I agree. It's a situation out of everyone's control and hopefully they consider it
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Francesco.Paonessa
Rookie Member

Postby Francesco.Paonessa » Sun May 24, 2020 3:12 pm

new2this wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:15 pm
Probably a weird question but any ideas how I can practice the jump for the PARE? I am doing lots of cardio - just unsure how I can be prepared for the jump without any access to a gym.
If you are doing your running work up outside, on a sidewalk, while you run try long jumping sidewalk squares. Its about the same length (roughly. And where I'm located) as your long jump.
CFMPA Grad - 2008

CBSA Applicant
Applied:✅
Face to Face Interview:✅
Med.Test:✅
Psych.Test:✅
Psych.Interview: ✅
Sec.Doc.Sent: ✅ (07/ 2018)
Integrity Interview: (07/ 2019)
Sec. Clearance: ✅ (05/ 2020)
PARE: TBD
Offer of Employment: TBD
Training Date: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun May 24, 2020 8:05 pm

hsinom wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:05 pm
Tavio06 wrote:
BoltUp wrote:

Tavio06 & Treeego

I agree. It's a situation out of everyone's control and hopefully they consider it
If you ask me, in general nobody should repeat any testing steps in the process , unless for a fault of their own. Once done, that should be it for the whole process, it's CBSA HR's job to make sure they wrap up the process in up to 1 year, as they state on their website.

Blunt, but common sense.

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:05 pm
hsinom wrote:
Tavio06 wrote:

If you ask me, in general nobody should repeat any testing steps in the process , unless for a fault of their own. Once done, that should be it for the whole process, it's CBSA HR's job to make sure they wrap up the process in up to 1 year, as they state on their website.

Blunt, but common sense.
Yeah, I agree that's fair . Repeating steps is a waste of time and drain on resources. Hopefully they will make some concession to people who've completed all steps. Then again arguing with the federal government is a long uphill battle not worth disputing over repeating a few steps.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Pare- April 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

A North

Postby A North » Sun May 24, 2020 9:40 pm

hsinom wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 pm
IronWolf wrote:
hsinom wrote:

Blunt, but common sense.
Yeah, I agree that's fair . Repeating steps is a waste of time and drain on resources. Hopefully they will make some concession to people who've completed all steps. Then again arguing with the federal government is a long uphill battle not worth disputing over repeating a few steps.
It's definitely a mucked up situation when you're both in the process and out of the process and take a step back to observe it all. I have a pretty strong feeling we're going to see major public sector hiring freezes in the coming months as well which just adds further insult to injury.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 am

A North wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:40 pm
hsinom wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 pm
IronWolf wrote:

Blunt, but common sense.
It's definitely a mucked up situation when you're both in the process and out of the process and take a step back to observe it all. I have a pretty strong feeling we're going to see major public sector hiring freezes in the coming months as well which just adds further insult to injury.
I could see the opposite as well once borders are open there will be a flood of travel both ways in which case they will need public safety available. Considering if they were short on resources pre COVID they may be willing to put more staff out there. We will have to wait and see what 2021 brings us.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Pare- April 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 pm

hsinom wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 am

I could see the opposite as well once borders are open there will be a flood of travel both ways in which case they will need public safety available. Considering if they were short on resources pre COVID they may be willing to put more staff out there. We will have to wait and see what 2021 brings us.
Not impossible. But generally, after big spendings and big deficits, governments cut budgets. And without going political; military, LEO and border security are easy, acceptable cuts for those who vote for the current governement.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Mon May 25, 2020 4:51 pm

JDube wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 pm
hsinom wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 am

Not impossible. But generally, after big spendings and big deficits, governments cut budgets. And without going political; military, LEO and border security are easy, acceptable cuts for those who vote for the current governement.
Let's hope the best for all of us!
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Pare- April 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Mon May 25, 2020 7:06 pm

JDube wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 pm

And without going political; military, LEO and border security are easy, acceptable cuts for those who vote for the current governement.
I'm happy to get political.

Imagine cutting LEO/Border Security budget while simultaneously spending billions on a legal gun buyback :pistols: :sniper:
Correctional Peace Officer