RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Hello All,

Finally able to post some good news here. The new job poster has been put up on the www.jobs.gc.ca website. There have been a couple of changes to the process so I encourage those that are "lurking", thinking about applying etc to read through www.rcmpcareers.ca carefully.

Of note:
1) the need for the vision/hearing testing to be completed first has been put on hold. You will have to get them done somewhere along in the process whoever. So, my suggestion is to at least look at requirements, and with the vision standard, vision being something you've likely had tested, reach out to your eye doctors and at least ask if based on your last test if you would have passed our standards. It's worth at least trying that, especially if you have concerns.

2) everyone will write the RCMP Entrance Battery (RPAB) period. So prepare yourself in advance. We have sample questions on our website and there are some good books on Police Exam Prep at your local library or for purchase at a book store. Preparing for the RPAB is not necessarily about studying similar questions. It's about being prepared to do timed testing. So using your time wisely and not spending 10 minutes to answer 2 questions, where you could have moved on and answered 6 questions instead, then gone back to the 2 you didn't know.

3) everyone will have to attend a career presentation period. The presentations, put on by Regular members provide a lot of critical information about the basic requirements, application process and life as a Mountie. You will get an understanding of our mobility requirements, what postings and transfers look like etc. It's important for you to understand this. Plus you'll meet an actual regular member and be able to ask your questions too.

4) The residency requirement for permanent residents of Canada has also changed. You must have lived in Canada for 3 of the last 5 years. The longer you've lived in Canada, the better and easier it will be to get a security check done and a clearance. Also, units, jobs and security clearances require you to be a Canadian citizen, so something to keep in mind. If you have not lived in Canada for an extended period of time you will have to account for yourself wherever you have been. So think about what that might look like for you.

Currently we are not running RPAB sessions, so we will take your application and start a que for when we begin running test sessions again. So be patient, and in the meantime start completing the selection package. Do the best you can in terms of completion for the time being.

Good luck everyone
Imran

Tornelco
Rookie Member

Postby Tornelco » Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm

RCMP is well on the way to requiring applicants pass the PARE as a condition for a depot invite, good to see.

Wingman19

Postby Wingman19 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:15 pm

Ont. RCMP Recruiter wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 pm
Hello All,

Finally able to post some good news here. The new job poster has been put up on the www.jobs.gc.ca website. There have been a couple of changes to the process so I encourage those that are "lurking", thinking about applying etc to read through www.rcmpcareers.ca carefully.

Of note:
1) the need for the vision/hearing testing to be completed first has been put on hold. You will have to get them done somewhere along in the process whoever. So, my suggestion is to at least look at requirements, and with the vision standard, vision being something you've likely had tested, reach out to your eye doctors and at least ask if based on your last test if you would have passed our standards. It's worth at least trying that, especially if you have concerns.

2) everyone will write the RCMP Entrance Battery (RPAB) period. So prepare yourself in advance. We have sample questions on our website and there are some good books on Police Exam Prep at your local library or for purchase at a book store. Preparing for the RPAB is not necessarily about studying similar questions. It's about being prepared to do timed testing. So using your time wisely and not spending 10 minutes to answer 2 questions, where you could have moved on and answered 6 questions instead, then gone back to the 2 you didn't know.

3) everyone will have to attend a career presentation period. The presentations, put on by Regular members provide a lot of critical information about the basic requirements, application process and life as a Mountie. You will get an understanding of our mobility requirements, what postings and transfers look like etc. It's important for you to understand this. Plus you'll meet an actual regular member and be able to ask your questions too.

4) The residency requirement for permanent residents of Canada has also changed. You must have lived in Canada for 3 of the last 5 years. The longer you've lived in Canada, the better and easier it will be to get a security check done and a clearance. Also, units, jobs and security clearances require you to be a Canadian citizen, so something to keep in mind. If you have not lived in Canada for an extended period of time you will have to account for yourself wherever you have been. So think about what that might look like for you.

Currently we are not running RPAB sessions, so we will take your application and start a que for when we begin running test sessions again. So be patient, and in the meantime start completing the selection package. Do the best you can in terms of completion for the time being.

Good luck everyone
Imran
Good afternoon Cst Imran,

I am wondering if there are polygraph examiners currently active within Ontario or is everything put on hold until further notice. I know my information has been passed to an examiner and patiently awaiting as the province slowly re-opens.

Thanks.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Fri May 15, 2020 5:35 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:15 pm
Ont. RCMP Recruiter wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 pm
Hello All,

Of note:

Good luck everyone
Imran
Good afternoon Cst Imran,

I am wondering if there are polygraph examiners currently active within Ontario or is everything put on hold until further notice. I know my information has been passed to an examiner and patiently awaiting as the province slowly re-opens.

Thanks.
Hi Wingman and everyone reading, unfortunately any of the face to face processes are not actively being done. So no poly's, psych's, medical's. If you are at this stage please continue to be patient.

Imran

Glasgow
Rookie Member

Postby Glasgow » Sat May 16, 2020 3:57 am

Good Day Cst,

I am wondering if the security clearance is still being carried out as I am just waiting on this portion.

Thanks

My timeline as follows

SP sent——01 August 2019
Sp accepted—09 August 2019
Security — 14 August missing info sent.
Sp— accepted 15 August 2019
Rmqa—27 September 2019
RFI—-03 October 2019-recommended
Field investigation—04 October 2019
Field investigation— recommended 22 Oct 2019
PEP—-12 November 2019
Pep Rec—16 November 2019
Medical—25 October 2019
Psych—05 December 2019
Medical recommended—-31 December 2019
Security clearance—
Troop—-

DanyD92

Postby DanyD92 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Glasgow wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:57 am
Good Day Cst,

I am wondering if the security clearance is still being carried out as I am just waiting on this portion.

Thanks

My timeline as follows

SP sent——01 August 2019
Sp accepted—09 August 2019
Security — 14 August missing info sent.
Sp— accepted 15 August 2019
Rmqa—27 September 2019
RFI—-03 October 2019-recommended
Field investigation—04 October 2019
Field investigation— recommended 22 Oct 2019
PEP—-12 November 2019
Pep Rec—16 November 2019
Medical—25 October 2019
Psych—05 December 2019
Medical recommended—-31 December 2019
Security clearance—
Troop—-
Im in security clearance and my file is being worked on as I was contacted by the person working my file to submit a few additional documents. Hope that helps.
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP submitted:20/12/18
Quality Assurance:15/01/19
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
Field investigation:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med:03/10/19
Psych:16/10/19
Final med:25/10/19
Medical Clearance: 16/01/20
SC:
Troop:

Fallenwas
Rookie Member

Postby Fallenwas » Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Quick question guys, I’m not here to ask the same questions that are usually asked but maybe ask some new ones that haven’t been asked before, so here we go.

How did you guys know that you were a good fit for law enforcement? Where did you start? How did you prepare yourself for the process?

Pho-fo-Sho
Rookie Member

Postby Pho-fo-Sho » Sun May 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Fallenwas wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm
How did you guys know that you were a good fit for law enforcement? Where did you start? How did you prepare yourself for the process?
To be honest, nobody thinks they are going to be a good fit for law enforcement in the beginning as there are a lot of uncertainties. Nobody wakes up one day and say, "I am going to make a damn fine officer, I should apply because I am God's gift to this agency and they should hire me."

However, people get into this career because they think they can make a positive difference in their community and want to serve to that benefit. It is also a very rewarding career that gives you a different experience everyday.

All my experiences are non-LEO related - I worked and volunteered at places where it had no connection with policing because I believe that you need to bring different skill sets to be a well rounded individual.

Preparing for the process? There's no guide that you can read to be ready, all you can do is go on a ride a long (Good luck for that right now), go to a career presentation, be PHYSICALLY FIT, don't do anything stupid during/before/after the process etc...

I will preface that Depot is not suited for everyone - that being said, everyone at Depot wants you succeed, unless you are the quitter or you bring disgrace to the Force (or any police agency) by violating HIPCAR.

Wingman19

Postby Wingman19 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Fallenwas wrote:
Quick question guys, I’m not here to ask the same questions that are usually asked but maybe ask some new ones that haven’t been asked before, so here we go.

I woke up one day and said I would be a damn fine officer.

I started by applying to services after months of watching live PD.

I went to information sessions, spoke to police officers, and started running 3x a week.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Fallenwas wrote:

A year in my supervisor told me that I normally make good decisions.
K division.

MattBlue
Rookie Member

Postby MattBlue » Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm

Fallenwas wrote:

A great place to start would be joining a Reserve Constable program, either with a municipal department or the RCMP. It's a great way to see what it's like to be a police officer, and it's also a great way to volunteer your time. I was able to develop a lot of my competencies with the Reserve Program I was with. I had essentially the same authorities as a regular member when I went on ride-alongs, which allowed me to get into the action and conduct arrests. It was a great experience.

Fallenwas
Rookie Member

Postby Fallenwas » Sun May 17, 2020 6:15 pm

MattBlue wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm
Fallenwas wrote:

A great place to start would be joining a Reserve Constable program, either with a municipal department or the RCMP. It's a great way to see what it's like to be a police officer, and it's also a great way to volunteer your time. I was able to develop a lot of my competencies with the Reserve Program I was with. I had essentially the same authorities as a regular member when I went on ride-alongs, which allowed me to get into the action and conduct arrests. It was a great experience.

That’s the same as auxiliary right? I have one near me but I’m probably a couple months away from joining. I may put in my application and then see what happens. I have to get into a bit better shape

MattBlue
Rookie Member

Postby MattBlue » Sun May 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Yes, it's the same as auxiliary. If you choose to get into law enforcement, you essentially loose the right to be unfit, so definitely work on that. I also highly recommend getting into some kind of martial art. Its a great way to stay in shape and it will give you skills that will help with the job. I wish I did more BJJ before applying.

Eagles1992
Rookie Member

Postby Eagles1992 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 pm

For me I have also wanted to be part a team, and help people. it's also nice having a career that you can branch of to different career paths. In weird way I think you kind of know, it's like a calling to action.

To add to fitness. 80 percent of your progress will be direct result of you do in the kitchen. Find out your caloric maintenance requirement to keep your current weight. Then adjust accordingly on whether you want to lose weight or add muscle.

Fallenwas
Rookie Member

Postby Fallenwas » Sun May 17, 2020 8:59 pm

I will probably wait about 4 years to do anything. I want to be free of my younger stupidity before I apply. I will say I’m not exactly proud of what I’ve done (been in trouble with police but nothing huge). I’m only early 20’s but I also have a baby that will be born soon. I have a much bigger thing on my plate to take care of for the next couple years. I’m just concerned that I might not be able to return to school...