GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Boomboom72
Regular Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Boomboom72 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:13 pm

Boomboom72 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:12 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:59 pm
BoltUp wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:26 pm
Here’s my dilemma...PARE expires in May and CBSA sent me an email last month saying, “As we are inviting for the next intake in early April 2020, in order to be considered for the summer training you will need valid PARE results by April 3, 2020.”
I’m booked to re-do my PARE on March 25 but they just closed all the schools in Alberta!! Keeping my fingers crossed that the college will still be running it 😖
Hopefully it works for you. In my area, where the schools are closed - no other activities in the school take place - like events during weekend in the Gym.
The whole school system is closed - even the kids or parents are not allowed to go and pick up items they have in the lockers.

Now may be the perfect time CBSA to show flexibility and accept PARE tests as valid, even if they are + 1,2 3 months over the 18. Especially if the test centers are closed now for a long time.
Funny you say that, I was thinking the same thing for those with expiring medicals as well!! Mine is literally expiring the month before the next invites. With the impact on Health Canada concerning the coronavirus I am positive that there will be additional delays with processing medical clearances for the foreseeable future! In The National capital region it’s pretty much all hands on deck right now regarding the virus. But if you look at it another way might in fact be even more reason to have everyone freshly examined and healthy !!
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:44 am

Just as expected ... and I bet it's not just one ... CBSA seems to be doing damage control now, but with the zero protection on the agents, this was just waiting to happen.

"The Canada Border Services Agency says an employee at Toronto Pearson International Airport has tested positive for COVID-19."

"“We can assure you that the employee is in isolation at home and following direction from local health officials,” Ashley Lemire of the CBSA said in a statement to CP24.
Lemire said the location and time of infection are unknown at this time. She said the agency is proactively notifying all employees who have had contact with the individual.

“Employees who may have been in contact with the infected individual have been asked to self-monitor for symptoms and to contact public health for direction. These employees may also be instructed by public health to self-isolate and remain at home for the recommended period.”

CBSA is also taking steps to clean the location where the officer worked, Lemire said.

She said the agency is working in close cooperation with federal health agencies, its employees and the union to ensure appropriate measures are in place.

The union representing customs and immigration officers had said they had called on the government repeatedly to improve measures to ensure proper screening.

"While our working relationship with CBSA regarding the current pandemic remains fair, we are disappointed in the lack of overall information and guidance provided by other parts of the federal government," the Customs and Immigration Union said in a statement on Friday. "At this time, all members should follow established safety protocols.""

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/cbsa-officer ... -1.4854299

hsinom
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:54 am

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 am
Hi everyone,

there is a possibility that all type of interviews will be postponed, i do not know if the next intake will also be postponed, however it remains a possibility.

More info coming at the beginning of next week. CBSA will make a decision soon. Obviously i cannot answer questions i don't have the answers too.

Please be patient, I'll try or maybe H.R will provide information as it comes in.

Hopefully next intakes are not affected. This would really suck for people like me waiting for years to get a offer for training . Then again it’s the government :ponder:. Please do keep us updated.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

User avatar
kittycat1024
Regular Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kittycat1024 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:49 am

A Canada Border Services Agency officer at Toronto Pearson airport has tested positive for COVID-19, the agency says.
“We can assure you that the employee is in isolation at home and following direction from local health officials,” Ashley Lemire of the CBSA said in a statement to CP24.
88)
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

dankmb
Rookie Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby dankmb » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:02 am

As i have friends and family that currently work for Health Canada (although this is just an assumption here) i believe everything will be delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although we might consider ourselves overall healthy in general, it is a HUGE risk for the entire college to take that on if an outbreak were to occur there. There are instructors, teachers, administrative workers, cafeteria, house keeping etc. that still have to go home to their families and the college cannot run without half their staff.

Health Canada is also seeing a large influx in testing and as said above 'all hands are on deck.' Even though recruiting is obviously a priority, so is keeping everyone safe. (and by everyone, again I don't mean the general healthy people like most of us who wouldn't even be affected, but those potentially around us.)

I read earlier about a job posting - they might still be posting the job even though their recruitment events are cancelled (large crowds) but WHEN they'll get back to you after you apply is another question.

My PARE test is re-scheduled for Wednesday, colleges in Ontario haven't closed yet but who knows after this afternoon - I don't think there will be any give on "extending" the expiration on these. At the end of the day, there are facilities that do these tests that are not in college campus', although they might be far away from you, that's just another obstacle in the application unfortunately. However HR would be better suited to answer that question.

This is obviously not 100% right but given the facts I've been told and making common sense of things - it seems quite obvious that a majority of our applications will be affected. However, silver lining is to take this time to take care of yourself and get in the best shapes of ya lives !!

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:21 am

dankmb wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:02 am
As i have friends and family that currently work for Health Canada (although this is just an assumption here) i believe everything will be delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although we might consider ourselves overall healthy in general, it is a HUGE risk for the entire college to take that on if an outbreak were to occur there. There are instructors, teachers, administrative workers, cafeteria, house keeping etc. that still have to go home to their families and the college cannot run without half their staff.

Health Canada is also seeing a large influx in testing and as said above 'all hands are on deck.' Even though recruiting is obviously a priority, so is keeping everyone safe. (and by everyone, again I don't mean the general healthy people like most of us who wouldn't even be affected, but those potentially around us.)

I read earlier about a job posting - they might still be posting the job even though their recruitment events are cancelled (large crowds) but WHEN they'll get back to you after you apply is another question.

My PARE test is re-scheduled for Wednesday, colleges in Ontario haven't closed yet but who knows after this afternoon - I don't think there will be any give on "extending" the expiration on these. At the end of the day, there are facilities that do these tests that are not in college campus', although they might be far away from you, that's just another obstacle in the application unfortunately. However HR would be better suited to answer that question.

This is obviously not 100% right but given the facts I've been told and making common sense of things - it seems quite obvious that a majority of our applications will be affected. However, silver lining is to take this time to take care of yourself and get in the best shapes of ya lives !!
"Get in the best shapes of your lives"

Gyms everywhere: closed 😭😡
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

hsinom
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 am

A North wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:21 am
dankmb wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:02 am
As i have friends and family that currently work for Health Canada (although this is just an assumption here) i believe everything will be delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although we might consider ourselves overall healthy in general, it is a HUGE risk for the entire college to take that on if an outbreak were to occur there. There are instructors, teachers, administrative workers, cafeteria, house keeping etc. that still have to go home to their families and the college cannot run without half their staff.

Health Canada is also seeing a large influx in testing and as said above 'all hands are on deck.' Even though recruiting is obviously a priority, so is keeping everyone safe. (and by everyone, again I don't mean the general healthy people like most of us who wouldn't even be affected, but those potentially around us.)

I read earlier about a job posting - they might still be posting the job even though their recruitment events are cancelled (large crowds) but WHEN they'll get back to you after you apply is another question.

My PARE test is re-scheduled for Wednesday, colleges in Ontario haven't closed yet but who knows after this afternoon - I don't think there will be any give on "extending" the expiration on these. At the end of the day, there are facilities that do these tests that are not in college campus', although they might be far away from you, that's just another obstacle in the application unfortunately. However HR would be better suited to answer that question.

This is obviously not 100% right but given the facts I've been told and making common sense of things - it seems quite obvious that a majority of our applications will be affected. However, silver lining is to take this time to take care of yourself and get in the best shapes of ya lives !!
"Get in the best shapes of your lives"

Gyms everywhere: closed 😭😡
Yeah, hard to do if you have to quarantine and have a family . But I'm thinking once most people's quarantine periods are over things may start moving back to somewhat normal since this can't go forever. We recently did the swab test for covid -19 just to be sure with our doctors but we try to avoid outside contact too much.

Not sure if they're doing anything for people already in rigaud now but my best guess is they may postpone intakes
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Ulcaster555
Regular Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Ulcaster555 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 am
Hi everyone,

there is a possibility that all type of interviews will be postponed, i do not know if the next intake will also be postponed, however it remains a possibility.

More info coming at the beginning of next week. CBSA will make a decision soon. Obviously i cannot answer questions i don't have the answers too.

Please be patient, I'll try or maybe H.R will provide information as it comes in.
UPDATE:

In accordance with the latest guidance provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada, we are asking that CBSA employees and managers not working in critical program or service positions start to work from home (i.e. move to telework). This change is effective immediately and until further notice.

Positions that deliver Critical Services to Canadians and to Government Operations and which require on-site presence to be performed include:

• Border Services Officers;
• Certain client service and critical business related jobs (physical security officers, real property, clerical, dealing with daily enquiries, attending to “walk in” clients etc.);
• Jobs that require access to restricted or sensitive CBSA information, software, applications and/or databases; and
• Specific CBSA functions, including strategic leadership, relating to upholding the safety and security of Canadians.


Local updates coming soon as to interviews and other requirements.

Stay tuned, stay positive.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

Zepedder
Regular Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zepedder » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 am
Hi everyone,

there is a possibility that all type of interviews will be postponed, i do not know if the next intake will also be postponed, however it remains a possibility.

More info coming at the beginning of next week. CBSA will make a decision soon. Obviously i cannot answer questions i don't have the answers too.

Please be patient, I'll try or maybe H.R will provide information as it comes in.
UPDATE:

In accordance with the latest guidance provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada, we are asking that CBSA employees and managers not working in critical program or service positions start to work from home (i.e. move to telework). This change is effective immediately and until further notice.

Positions that deliver Critical Services to Canadians and to Government Operations and which require on-site presence to be performed include:

• Border Services Officers;
• Certain client service and critical business related jobs (physical security officers, real property, clerical, dealing with daily enquiries, attending to “walk in” clients etc.);
• Jobs that require access to restricted or sensitive CBSA information, software, applications and/or databases; and
• Specific CBSA functions, including strategic leadership, relating to upholding the safety and security of Canadians.


Local updates coming soon as to interviews and other requirements.

Stay tuned, stay positive.
Thank you for the updates. I'm sure everyone here greatly appreciates them through this time of uncertainty.
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

jwlong
Rookie Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby jwlong » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 pm
Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 am
Hi everyone,

there is a possibility that all type of interviews will be postponed, i do not know if the next intake will also be postponed, however it remains a possibility.

More info coming at the beginning of next week. CBSA will make a decision soon. Obviously i cannot answer questions i don't have the answers too.

Please be patient, I'll try or maybe H.R will provide information as it comes in.
UPDATE:

In accordance with the latest guidance provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada, we are asking that CBSA employees and managers not working in critical program or service positions start to work from home (i.e. move to telework). This change is effective immediately and until further notice.

Positions that deliver Critical Services to Canadians and to Government Operations and which require on-site presence to be performed include:

• Border Services Officers;
• Certain client service and critical business related jobs (physical security officers, real property, clerical, dealing with daily enquiries, attending to “walk in” clients etc.);
• Jobs that require access to restricted or sensitive CBSA information, software, applications and/or databases; and
• Specific CBSA functions, including strategic leadership, relating to upholding the safety and security of Canadians.


Local updates coming soon as to interviews and other requirements.

Stay tuned, stay positive.
Thank you very much for the update Ulcaster. Always a great help. Staying positive
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018
Interview: Feb 2019
Psy Eval & Interview - April 2019
Med Eval: February 2020
Sec Clearance: Granted Dec 9/19
PARE March 2019:
RPAL: March 2019
OITP:

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby PrairieFire31 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Hello, I have a question for recruits who may be at Rigaud now. Are you aware of anyone currently at Rigaud who applied as part of the Small Communities postings? If so, have they shared any information on how these recruits will be assigned to their ports? Thanks!
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

hsinom
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Not sure if this is true but I heard from a friend that all recruits at rigaud currently are being sent home. If anyone who is there can chime in please feel free.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

jadeyorke123
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby jadeyorke123 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:20 pm

I spoke to my friend yesterday who is currently at Rigaud and he said that they were told that their classes are continuing, however they were advised that the next wave was being delayed. Unless things have changed since yesterday.

jadeyorke123
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby jadeyorke123 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Just contacted him, it’s true. They’re all being sent home tomorrow.

User avatar
kittycat1024
Regular Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kittycat1024 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:37 pm

It’s tough.....no income if being sent home until further notice? :cry:
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alexgue89, Eagles1992, LobsterCop, sam89, SemrushBot, TLalor and 17 guests