GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
WSM109
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby WSM109 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 pm
Let me get something clear about that Relocation thing I was so much writing about here :

There's some legitimate reasons one person couldn't afford relocating (far from financial), and these do not make her/him in any way less qualified or capable to perform the BSO duties.

As the goal of CBSA / OIM is to permanently place the recruits at a POE, considering these particular cases or placement based on regional preferences will make perfect sense.

The Mobility clause can still be there in full force, only the main primary assigned POE can be in the preferred regions, then if later at any time a dispatch is needed for a limited time at another POE to meet Agency's operational needs, that's fine.

It is not about entitlement or preferential treatment.
I know a person who works at the Halifax waterfront in marine inspection. He stated that the shortages at the Halifax international airport results in overtime work being offered to those who work at marine inspections and vice versa. Different POE, just happen to be close by. Like you say, dispatch to different spots when required.
For instance, the border crossing at Woodstock NB and Houlton ME is only 5 hours away. A week or two at that distance wouldn’t be too bad either...
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:07 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:34 pm
WSM109 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 pm
...so many intangibles at play that when you’re dealing with 20k applications, they will likely never perfect it.
That's the exact reason I see reducing the number they deal with as the best way to improve the process.

Reduction of the number of Applicants that move ahead in the process :

1st wave reduction : OTEE, managed by CBSA (no expense for applicants) .

2nd wave reduction : Psych done by the applicant at a designated CBSA practitioner and reimbursed the fee if successful in the selection process.

3rd wave reduction : Medical (same condition as the Psych above)

4rd wave - Passing firearm courses or RPAL

Only then all applicants that pass to be invited to an Interview.

No "elitist" can have any advantage, as I see it. Same steps as required now to proceed. Only difference is that applicants that fail the Psych will have to cover the expense of their test themselves. CBSA will save the time and $ for useless testing of applicants that fail the Psych.
Hell, if your so worried about saving CBSA money, why don’t you volunteer to pay for the whole recruitment process? Why dont you pay for your whole 18 weeks training as well as room and board in Rigaud? Shouldn’t be a problem right? Why is this still being talked about? The process is what it is. The CBSA will make changes as it sees fit. The number of applicants isn’t a problem for them......sounds like it is to you though. That’s the great thing about CBSA. They’re very inclusive and give large volumes of people fair shots at the job. I do agree with you that the process isn’t perfect, maybe far from it but really it comes down to if you don’t like the process don’t apply, and if you do apply, then deal with it. This horse was beat to death long ago..... or maybe go start a “I hate CBSA hiring process” thread. It seems like that’s all this thread has turned into.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:15 pm

Hopeful-1 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:07 pm
IronWolf wrote:
WSM109 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 pm
...so many intangibles at play that when you’re dealing with 20k applications, they will likely never perfect it.
That's the exact reason I see reducing the number they deal with as the best way to improve the process.

2nd wave reduction : Psych done by the applicant at a designated CBSA practitioner and reimbursed the fee if successful in the selection process.

No "elitist" can have any advantage, as I see it. Same steps as required now to proceed. Only difference is that applicants that fail the Psych will have to cover the expense of their test themselves. CBSA will save the time and $ for useless testing of applicants that fail the Psych.
Hell, if your so worried about saving CBSA money, why don’t you volunteer to pay for the whole recruitment process? Why dont you pay for your whole 18 weeks training as well as room and board in Rigaud? Shouldn’t be a problem right? Why is this still being talked about? The process is what it is. The CBSA will make changes as it sees fit. The number of applicants isn’t a problem for them......sounds like it is to you though. That’s the great thing about CBSA. They’re very inclusive and give large volumes of people fair shots at the job. I do agree with you that the process isn’t perfect, maybe far from it but really it comes down to if you don’t like the process don’t apply, and if you do apply, then deal with it. This horse was beat to death long ago..... or maybe go start a “I hate CBSA hiring process” thread. It seems like that’s all this thread has turned into.

I get it can be frustrating and it’s a long process, I’ve done my share of complaining too but it’s worth it in the end. Channel your frustration into something productive instead of just complaining about something 100% out of your control. CBSA officers do monitor these threads.........are your posts really the picture you want to paint of yourselves
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Hopeful-1 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:15 pm
Hopeful-1 wrote:
IronWolf wrote:

I get it can be frustrating and it’s a long process, I’ve done my share of complaining too but it’s worth it in the end. Channel your frustration into something productive instead of just complaining about something 100% out of your control. CBSA officers do monitor these threads.........are your posts really the picture you want to paint of yourselves
I don’t know what you are speaking of, I don’t find anybody here frustrated or complaining in an overly negative context. Simply a chat group with people sharing ideas. If anything, you’re the most sour individual I’ve read on this forum so far. Relax man, it’s not that bad.
S.M.
Halifax applicant

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 am

WSM109 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Hopeful-1 wrote:
Hopeful-1 wrote:

I don’t know what you are speaking of, I don’t find anybody here frustrated or complaining in an overly negative context. Simply a chat group with people sharing ideas. If anything, you’re the most sour individual I’ve read on this forum so far. Relax man, it’s not that bad.
I think the main issue that the above poster is getting at is that there are a small handful (2-3) posters that have nothing else to contribute than anecdotally quoting things they don't have first hand knowledge about. It's derailing this topic and drowning out questions from others (potentially) because if you go back the last like 5 pages that's all that's been discussed. Hell last Sunday alone there were like 2.5 pages created alone, all to do with the opinions of one or two posters. This is a place for GENERAL chit chat, not the same tired, broken, beaten dead horse. Some people don't know when to drop the subject, even when people who have actual inside knowledge explain it to them. I appreciate all points of view and other perspectives, but when all you can do is not agree or find something potentially valid or even concede that someone might have made a good point, then constructive discussion is done.

I'm also very done discussing this issue, but I won't stand idly by as one or two posters dominate this thread with unnecessary, anecdotes about what they think the Agency should do.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:22 am

cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 am
...quoting things...
cbmcmsa, Have you ever thought about creating a forum yourself and allow only subjects you approve to be posted in it ?

If you have , don't call it "forum", or even less - "chit-chat"

:ponder:

The things you said don't even deserve a comment.

kittycat1024

Postby kittycat1024 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:27 am

I started to think these days since the Covid-19, would all the hiring process slow down or delay............. 88)
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 am

kittycat1024 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:27 am
I started to think these days since the Covid-19, would all the hiring process slow down or delay............. 88)
Most likely some small delays for group testing like the Psych.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:48 pm

kittycat1024 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:27 am
May delay it a bit eventually.

I still believe (and that's what facts from early affected countries show) the most healthy people will be just fine, the recruits are in good health overall should recover just fine with light or no symptoms.

The risk is most for people with weak immune system or other health conditions.

If this was Ebola like thing, I wouldn't have been so optimistic, but COVID-19 is a light thing, not that serious for most people.

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 am
WSM109 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Hopeful-1 wrote:
I think the main issue that the above poster is getting at is that there are a small handful (2-3) posters that have nothing else to contribute than anecdotally quoting things they don't have first hand knowledge about. It's derailing this topic and drowning out questions from others (potentially) because if you go back the last like 5 pages that's all that's been discussed. Hell last Sunday alone there were like 2.5 pages created alone, all to do with the opinions of one or two posters. This is a place for GENERAL chit chat, not the same tired, broken, beaten dead horse. Some people don't know when to drop the subject, even when people who have actual inside knowledge explain it to them. I appreciate all points of view and other perspectives, but when all you can do is not agree or find something potentially valid or even concede that someone might have made a good point, then constructive discussion is done.

I'm also very done discussing this issue, but I won't stand idly by as one or two posters dominate this thread with unnecessary, anecdotes about what they think the Agency should do.
Well said, thank you.
Best of luck in Rigaud. I hope you have a great career.
S.M.
Halifax applicant

Emak

Postby Emak » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi all,
Hope all are are having a good Friday and are taking care with this Covid situation.
Just a quick update that my 2nd psych assessment was successfully passed. I guess that would put me olback in line for a potential invite.
I wonder how are the recruits coping with this at Rigaud.
Hope all is fine.
GTA
Applied: 04/2017
Educ Doc: 06/17 ✔
Interview: 01/18 ✔
MMPI: 01/18 + 02/20 ✔
Psych: 02/18 + 03/20 ✔
PARE: 04/18 + 10/19 (Ext 04/21)
SEC doc: sent 03/18 - 09/19 ✔
Medical: 09/18 + 09/19 (Ext 09/21)
SEC Int: 09/19 ✔
OITP: TBA
Rigaud: TBA

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm

here's some "Corona" themed fun to cheer people up : https://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow/v ... 4017384664

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:48 pm

With Parliament being suspended until April 20 and the Federal budget date getting pushed back, do you guys think this would also delay the launch of the new job posting?

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:48 pm
With Parliament being suspended until April 20 and the Federal budget date getting pushed back, do you guys think this would also delay the launch of the new job posting?
That’s a great question. I wish I knew the answer. I would assume that they already have their recruitment targets, and unlikely a reduction in the amount of money and new recruits that are required. Having said that, it’s just a guess. I hope for the sake of all the applicants they get a chance to go to Rigaud without delays.
S.M.
Halifax applicant

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:52 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:48 pm
That’s a great question. I wish I knew the answer. I would assume that they already have their recruitment targets, and unlikely a reduction in the amount of money and new recruits that are required. Having said that, it’s just a guess. I hope for the sake of all the applicants they get a chance to go to Rigaud without delays.
If nothing else, and I’m going to be thinking super positively here considering everything that’s going on, maybe stock piling up on more recruits would also be something to maybe consider, because when this virus comes and all barriers/bans get lifted, people might flock back and forth to and from Canada, especially during the F1 Grand Prix in the summer.