GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A North

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 pm

AveyLTZ wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:09 pm
bordurrr wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 pm
can BSO's become investigators in CID? If so how long doe that typically take before they're eligible?
BSOs are the "feeder pool" for positions in the Intelligence and Enforcement (I&E) Branch. I&E Branch is made up of CID Investigators, Inland Enforcement Officers, Hearings Officers, Intelligence Officers, Intelligence Analysts, a few other less common positions and management for all those positions. The expectation is that these positions are normally filled by promoting BSOs from POEs. Combining all of those positions together results in around 1100 people across the country. I think there are around 8 thousand POE employees so there is always a ton of competition. Expect everyone you work with to apply on the same job posting as you. Sometimes 5 years as an FB03 is needed to apply to those positions, sometimes they do job postings with only a 3 year requirement. FB02 time does not count towards those time requirements.
Do you know if many MPOs who've surpassed their 5 year contracts and completed their QL-5s have had success transferring into the specialized upper positions?
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

AveyLTZ

Postby AveyLTZ » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:00 am

A North wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 pm
AveyLTZ wrote:
bordurrr wrote:
can BSO's become investigators in CID? If so how long doe that typically take before they're eligible?
BSOs are the "feeder pool" for positions in the Intelligence and Enforcement (I&E) Branch. I&E Branch is made up of CID Investigators, Inland Enforcement Officers, Hearings Officers, Intelligence Officers, Intelligence Analysts, a few other less common positions and management for all those positions. The expectation is that these positions are normally filled by promoting BSOs from POEs. Combining all of those positions together results in around 1100 people across the country. I think there are around 8 thousand POE employees so there is always a ton of competition. Expect everyone you work with to apply on the same job posting as you. Sometimes 5 years as an FB03 is needed to apply to those positions, sometimes they do job postings with only a 3 year requirement. FB02 time does not count towards those time requirements.
Do you know if many MPOs who've surpassed their 5 year contracts and completed their QL-5s have had success transferring into the specialized upper positions?
Why assume everyone understands that jargon? Is MPO a military police officer? If so, the answer is no. They are not able to transfer in.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm

A North wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 pm
AveyLTZ wrote:
bordurrr wrote:
If by “transfer” you mean complete the selection process, pass the online training and Rigaud, pass probation, work roughly 3-5 years minimum as an FB3, and be a more competitive applicant than all their FB3 coworkers who applied, then yeah I’m sure there’s been a successful “MPO” or two.

In all seriousness, why would a police officer or a “MPO” be able to just transfer into the CBSA?

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm
JEagle10 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 pm
Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
Sounds worse, who would want to pay their own pysch eval and medical? On top of the other things I’m spending close to $1000 just to see an interview.
Look at it this way : Why should CBSA interview all these people that fail the psych ?

Qualify, then they will interview you for the job. Sounds fair to me. Also you missed next posts. CBSA can reimburse all successful applicants that pass the process for their Psych/Medical expense.

Did you complain when you had to lose 3 days for PARE, CRFSC, fingerprints and the money around that ? I guess not. Same can apply for Psych.

CBSA needs less candidates, but good candidates, reduce the "noise" and make the process way more efficient.

If you wonder why these suggestions : go back and read the quote of the day , CBSA's own audit says all these things need improvement, don't kill the messenger :alright:

To be fair no I didn’t complain because the PARE for me was done within a hour, I completed the firearms courses well before even thinking I’d apply to CBSA (I love guns) why make an applicant pay $1000 just to fail an interview then? You’re down $1000 and no job. If CBSA’s process is that bad I’m not sure why 20,000 apply.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm

JEagle10 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 pm
To be fair no I didn’t complain because the PARE for me was done within a hour, I completed the firearms courses well before even thinking I’d apply to CBSA (I love guns) why make an applicant pay $1000 just to fail an interview then? You’re down $1000 and no job. If CBSA’s process is that bad I’m not sure why 20,000 apply.
Exactly my point : Why would CBSA pay the bill for the "unqualified" applicants to begin with, and on plus, waste more to Interview them ?

CBSA doesn't need 20K applicants per year, they need less, but qualified ones.

No one is forcing anyone to pay for PARE and CRFSC either, but is mandatory to be done on applicant's expense. Whoever wants to be a BSO and is sure they qualify, will pay just fine for their Psych test, then get their money back when they succeed the process.

Make it all free to apply and lower entry requirements, then even 30 000 will apply. Who needs that ?

I have another suggestion for CBSA - introduce Polygraph test. I am sure 5000 will not even apply just because of that ;)

JetMoto87
Rookie Member

Postby JetMoto87 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Does anyone think they will push back future Rigaud classes as to avoid exposing current recruits and staff to the virus? Everyone currently there is sort of isolated from the general community except for when they go home on weekends, etc.
CBSA Applicant

Applied: Jan 2019
Otee: Mar 2019 Passed
Interview: May 2019 Passed
Psych: Nov 2019 Passed
Background started: Jan 2020
Pare: Mar 2020 Passed
Security interview: Sep 2020 Passed
Medical: Nov 2020
Online: ?
Rigaud: ?

dankmb
Rookie Member

Postby dankmb » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 pm

JetMoto87 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 pm
Does anyone think they will push back future Rigaud classes as to avoid exposing current recruits and staff to the virus? Everyone currently there is sort of isolated from the general community except for when they go home on weekends, etc.

I’m more wondering how long Health Canada will take to review medicals - my sister works for them and said a legit good portion (over 50%) are being sent home and paid for the time being since they are exposed to so much unless its an emergency. Would we be considered a priority due to this?
Applied: Aug/2018
OTEE: Sept/2018
Interview: Nov/2018
Psych: Dec/2018
Medical: Mar/2019 - Expired TBD
Security Papers: Mar/2019
Integrity Interview: Aug/2019
Security Clearance: Jan/2020
PARE: TBD
Online OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member

Postby CaptainMarvel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Last edited by CaptainMarvel on Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:58 pm

JetMoto87 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 pm
Rigaud is not totally isolated. There's plenty of civilian and other staff that doesn't live there.

About the virus - if you have read about it, there's no place that can really be isolated or protected completely if outside people or products come in. All it takes is one (or an object that was handled by someone infected recently) to infect them all. And as it seems we will all get that virus sooner or later anyway. As most recruits are usually healthy without major health issues, they should be fine even if getting it.

Currently there's no tests freely available (takes 2 days to get a result now for the few people they can afford to test), there's no cure or treatment, only thing a hospital can do is pain relief and ventilator/respirator for the critical cases. Most healthy people will get it and recover in 2-3 weeks just fine.

Sadly, most airport BSOs most likely already have been exposed as there were no real travel restrictions from affected countries (thanks to Trudeau's inaction). Most will be just fine after getting it.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:02 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:38 pm
I think the agency has good reason to do testing/interviews as they do. This notion of "quality applicants" and the "most qualified" has an elitist taint. There are plenty of soft skills that make up a great candidate/BSO that aren't necessarily discerned in the tests, that comes out in interviews.

Just because someone looks good on paper does not mean that they are necessarily suited for the job, or would actually succeed or even ENJOY the job. There are so many intangibles at play that they will likely never perfect it. And skimming from only the top elite doesn't guarantee a perfect process or a perfect set of recruits.
I totally agree with that, but no one goes ahead without passing the Psych now. My suggestion is to require that as a condition to get an Interview. The qualities will still matter at the Interview, just CBSA won't have to Interview (and spend $ and time on it) these many people that fail the Psych every year.

Optimisation of the process is the goal, making CBSA evaluate the candidates that qualify, not all 20000 till the end.

We'll see the new competition rules soon enough, I assume , in next 1-2 months.

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
I think the agency has good reason to do testing/interviews as they do. This notion of "quality applicants" and the "most qualified" has an elitist taint. There are plenty of soft skills that make up a great candidate/BSO that aren't necessarily discerned in the tests, that comes out in interviews.

Just because someone looks good on paper does not mean that they are necessarily suited for the job, or would actually succeed or even ENJOY the job. There are so many intangibles at play that they will likely never perfect it. And skimming from only the top elite doesn't guarantee a perfect process or a perfect set of recruits.
I agree with what you’re saying, but the ‘elitist taint’ may be a little off. There are some qualities that may exist on paper that would give individuals a leg up on the competition so to speak.
But you’re right.... so many intangibles at play that when you’re dealing with 20k applications, they will likely never perfect it.
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:02 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:

I totally agree with that, but no one goes ahead without passing the Psych now. My suggestion is to require that as a condition to get an Interview. The qualities will still matter at the Interview, just CBSA won't have to Interview (and spend $ and time on it) these many people that fail the Psych every year.

Optimisation of the process is the goal, making CBSA evaluate the candidates that qualify, not all 20000 till the end.

We'll see the new competition rules soon enough, I assume , in next 1-2 months.
I spoke to a recently retired member who said they will be returning to ‘regional hiring.’ Thats what “he heard” and strictly a rumour at this point.
Interested to see the new competition rules when they come out though...
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:34 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 pm
...so many intangibles at play that when you’re dealing with 20k applications, they will likely never perfect it.
That's the exact reason I see reducing the number they deal with as the best way to improve the process.

Reduction of the number of Applicants that move ahead in the process :

1st wave reduction : OTEE, managed by CBSA (no expense for applicants) .

2nd wave reduction : Psych done by the applicant at a designated CBSA practitioner and reimbursed the fee if successful in the selection process.

3rd wave reduction : Medical (same condition as the Psych above)

4rd wave - Passing firearm courses or RPAL

Only then all applicants that pass to be invited to an Interview.

No "elitist" can have any advantage, as I see it. Same steps as required now to proceed. Only difference is that applicants that fail the Psych will have to cover the expense of their test themselves. CBSA will save the time and $ for useless testing of applicants that fail the Psych.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:38 pm

WSM109 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 pm
I spoke to a recently retired member who said they will be returning to ‘regional hiring.’ Thats what “he heard” and strictly a rumour at this point.
Interested to see the new competition rules when they come out though...
That would be great. And the people that really don't mind relocating should be able to select all regions in their application.

Result will be totally improved BSO/recruit engagement.

Fingers crossed.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Let me get something clear about that Relocation thing I was so much writing about here :

There's some legitimate reasons one person couldn't afford relocating (far from financial), and these do not make her/him in any way less qualified or capable to perform the BSO duties.

As the goal of CBSA / OIM is to permanently place the recruits at a POE, considering these particular cases or placement based on regional preferences will make perfect sense.

The Mobility clause can still be there in full force, only the main primary assigned POE can be in the preferred regions, then if later at any time a dispatch is needed for a limited time at another POE to meet Agency's operational needs, that's fine.

It is not about entitlement or preferential treatment.