GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
bordurrr
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby bordurrr » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 pm

can BSO's become investigators in CID? If so how long doe that typically take before they're eligible?

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:09 am

bordurrr wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 pm
can BSO's become investigators in CID? If so how long doe that typically take before they're eligible?
CID (Criminal Investigation Division), yes you can become a criminal investigator. Depending on the competition, it can be 5 years experience as a BSO but competitions change all the time and its been a while since the last one.

C.I are FB-05 just like a supervisor, there is also Regional Intelligence Officers RIO's and Intelligence Analysts both are FB-04.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

dankmb
Rookie Member

Postby dankmb » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:26 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 pm
Kevlar wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:24 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm

I received this same email verbatim back in November (they had only sent out the January invites at the time). The only difference was it had no mention of summer. Two months later I received an email asking me to recertify my PARE and then a month after that received an email asking to recertify my medical. Around and around we go! :)
Same here. Back in Nov. And again end of Feb. But here we are lol.
c'est la vie
Samesies

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Hey everyone,

I just received this email today:

"As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Invitations for the summer intakes will be sent between April 2020 and May 2020. As spaces are limited, it’s difficult to confirm a training date at this time. Therefore, kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences."
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm

This is the response I got :

As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Invitations for the summer intakes will be sent between April 2020 and May 2020. As spaces are limited, it’s difficult to confirm a training date at this time. Therefore, kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences.

Thank you for your patience and continued interest in Canada Border Service Agency.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:41 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:36 pm
Hey everyone,

"As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Invitations for the summer intakes will be sent between April 2020 and May 2020. As spaces are limited, it’s difficult to confirm a training date at this time. Therefore, kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences."
It seems like we'll likely be together in the same batch of recruitment! At least we know that a invite is imminent . Fingers crossed for all of us.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 pm

hsinom wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:41 pm
Zepedder wrote:
Hey everyone,

It seems like we'll likely be together in the same batch of recruitment! At least we know that a invite is imminent . Fingers crossed for all of us.
Let's hope so! It'll be interesting to see what the coming months bring!
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 pm
hsinom wrote:
Zepedder wrote:
Hey everyone,

Let's hope so! It'll be interesting to see what the coming months bring!
Looking forward to it. I’ve had a couple of strong job offers but I have my mind set on this, and I’m going to hold out for it as long as I can. Hope to see you all in Rigaud.
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

somethingsomething
Rookie Member

Postby somethingsomething » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Here's what I got!

"Thank you for your email. As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Therefore kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences regarding this selection process. Candidates that are selected to begin training get 4 weeks notice for the online portion of the courses and between 6 and 8 weeks for the in residence training."

Didn't have the information included regarding an invite being sent between April and May, but I did get the additional note that candidates will get 4 and 6-8 weeks of advanced notice!

kellylihomes

Postby kellylihomes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:06 pm

somethingsomething wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:31 pm
Here's what I got!

"Thank you for your email. As you have successfully passed all the assessment stages within the selection process, you will be sent a formal invitation from the Officer Recruitment Program to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program (OITP) once a date has been secured. Therefore kindly continue to check your emails frequently for further correspondences regarding this selection process. Candidates that are selected to begin training get 4 weeks notice for the online portion of the courses and between 6 and 8 weeks for the in residence training."

Didn't have the information included regarding an invite being sent between April and May, but I did get the additional note that candidates will get 4 and 6-8 weeks of advanced notice!
I got the exactly same email as yours yesterday. Lol.
CBSA Applicant
Applied: Aug 2018
OTEE: Sep 2018 (passes)
Interview: December 2018 (passed)
PARE: January 2019 (passed)
Psy Evaluation: April 2019 (passed)
Security paper: May 2019
Medical: July 2019 (passed)
Security clearance: December 2019
OITP:
Rigaud:

AveyLTZ

Postby AveyLTZ » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:09 pm

bordurrr wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 pm
BSOs are the "feeder pool" for positions in the Intelligence and Enforcement (I&E) Branch. I&E Branch is made up of CID Investigators, Inland Enforcement Officers, Hearings Officers, Intelligence Officers, Intelligence Analysts, a few other less common positions and management for all those positions. The expectation is that these positions are normally filled by promoting BSOs from POEs. Combining all of those positions together results in around 1100 people across the country. I think there are around 8 thousand POE employees so there is always a ton of competition. Expect everyone you work with to apply on the same job posting as you. Sometimes 5 years as an FB03 is needed to apply to those positions, sometimes they do job postings with only a 3 year requirement. FB02 time does not count towards those time requirements.

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:07 pm

hsinom wrote:
Zepedder wrote:
Hey everyone,

All depends really, some people that have had clearance since June 2019 still haven’t been invited yet and I’m sure some might have been waiting longer, theres hundreds in the stage where they are done everything just waiting for an invite and a full wave is roughly 70-80 people at a time. Fingers crossed for you but I’ve heard some horror stories

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:15 am
How about a quote of the day ?

"The Officer Allowance at the College and the mobility clause could be limiting the ability of the CBSA to remain competitive and to effectively place Officer Trainees where they are needed. Other organizations, some of which are competing with the CBSA for applicants (such as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the Ontario Provincial Police), are providing higher compensation/stipend during training. The training stipend and the process used by the CBSA to recruit and place officers in regions across Canada have had negative impacts on the Recruits and Officer Trainees, which could result in a less than desirable image of the Agency. Since word of mouth was the most frequently cited mechanism through which applicants have been made aware of career opportunities at the CBSA, improving the experience of Recruits and Officer Trainees could help attract quality applicants while ensuring that the needs of the Agency are met."

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... a-eng.html
I wish I had a dollar for everytime you posted this lol every agency isn’t perfect. The RCMP has 1200 openings while CBSA I think only has a couple hundred more - yet RCMP pays more during training.. but with CBSA you will actually make more during your first 12 months than RCMP will. The “downsides” with a federal agency is you have to work everywhere in Canada and most places CBSA will put you are generally more desirable than where RCMP may place you (to start)

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am
Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am

Wow, that's a pretty substantial increase. It's not an issue for myself either, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't appreciate it regardless. With receiving over 20,000 applicants per posting (I think that number is correct?), I just find it hard to believe they would need to make it any more attractive for applicants.
Quality over quantity, I say.
It's not surprising they get that many, with such low entry requirements and a salary range impossible to achieve for many with secondary degree elsewhere.

If I was making the decisions at HR, I would require applicants to do their OTEE first, then whoever passes to be required to do PARE, RPAL, Psych and Medical at their own expense before being invited to an Interview, then Security clearance stage covered by CBSA and then Rigaud with Mobility clause applied that takes under consideration Applicant preferences.

That will save so much time and $ for the agency and the # of the applicants that HR will directly process will be way lower.
Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
Sounds worse, who would want to pay their own pysch eval and medical? On top of the other things I’m spending close to $1000 just to see an interview.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:31 pm

JEagle10 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 pm
Lospollos wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am

Quality over quantity, I say.
It's not surprising they get that many, with such low entry requirements and a salary range impossible to achieve for many with secondary degree elsewhere.

If I was making the decisions at HR, I would require applicants to do their OTEE first, then whoever passes to be required to do PARE, RPAL, Psych and Medical at their own expense before being invited to an Interview, then Security clearance stage covered by CBSA and then Rigaud with Mobility clause applied that takes under consideration Applicant preferences.

That will save so much time and $ for the agency and the # of the applicants that HR will directly process will be way lower.
Good thing you aren't HR because no way in hell would I apply if that was the deal. It's almost as dumb as the ATS most Ontario polices services have.
Sounds worse, who would want to pay their own pysch eval and medical? On top of the other things I’m spending close to $1000 just to see an interview.
Look at it this way : Why should CBSA interview all these people that fail the psych ?

Qualify, then they will interview you for the job. Sounds fair to me. Also you missed next posts. CBSA can reimburse all successful applicants that pass the process for their Psych/Medical expense.

Did you complain when you had to lose 3 days for PARE, CRFSC, fingerprints and the money around that ? I guess not. Same can apply for Psych.

CBSA needs less candidates, but good candidates, reduce the "noise" and make the process way more efficient.

If you wonder why these suggestions : go back and read the quote of the day , CBSA's own audit says all these things need improvement, don't kill the messenger :alright: