What Certifications Should I Look Into?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BenjaminLauder
Rookie Member

What Certifications Should I Look Into?

Postby BenjaminLauder » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:20 am

This is my first post on the forum, so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered...

I'm currently enrolled in a college police program, and I'm pursuing Criminology next year in university. While I'm in the process of going to school, I'd like to continue to build my resume by volunteering and gaining new certifications because I really want to stand out against other applicants.
To get to my question, what certifications should I get going into the application process i.e. languages, first aid, and so on...

Thank you!

cbmcmsa

Re: What Certifications Should I Look Into?

Postby cbmcmsa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:45 am

Read the general chit chat forums, utilize the search function, etc. These questions have been answered several times.

First Aid and CPR are just generally good things to have, and I think more people should get certified regardless of occupation.

If you're really serious about law enforcement, you're going to have to get used to doing your own research and not just asking for answers. Most of the application pages for agencies will have exactly what you need in terms of certificates.

Volunteering is great, but it depends what you do, and how long you do it for. Look for something that involves vulnerable persons (children, mental health, etc.) or law enforcement related vs. walking dogs at the animal shelter. <- That's important, but not really applicable.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 - 2020/05/04 (On hold for COVID)

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:12 am

BenjaminLauder wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:20 am
This is my first post on the forum, so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered...

I'm currently enrolled in a college police program, and I'm pursuing Criminology next year in university. While I'm in the process of going to school, I'd like to continue to build my resume by volunteering and gaining new certifications because I really want to stand out against other applicants.
To get to my question, what certifications should I get going into the application process i.e. languages, first aid, and so on...

Thank you!
I did Criminology as one of my majors. I would highly recommend not enrolling into that program if you're doing a college police program as it will give you practical information and insight into our legal system. It will be redundant in some courses but you will be more focused on the theoretical aspects of it and there will be alot of anti-police lectures, lectures on the relationship between police and the community, case law, security vs liberty laws, punitive vs restorative punishments, indigenous relation, (I can go on). Study something more business/science related. You will learn whatever you need to learn when you get trained. The rest is practical knowledge and the nature of policing is changing rapidly.

I would recommend applying to your local hospital or community center. There are many volunteer opportunities for younger adults/teenagers. I personally worked with special-need children and got my face punched, got bitten, literally got shit and pissed on but with that said, it was fun since we did alot of cool things lol. That experience alone speaks volumes on my tolerance towards children which is excellent on your application.

For first-aid, usually your work place should provide training for it. If you need to pay out of pocket, just apply to an accredited first-aid trainer that is tied with the Canadian Red Cross, a simple google search will suffice.

GL
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Highland2012
Rookie Member

Postby Highland2012 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 pm

I enjoyed my criminology education. learning the sociological and psychological explanations of crime that can directly relate to front line policing. Might even make you look like an all star if you able to capitalize on that with your superiors; However, as stated before there is a lot of B.S that you have to wade though. There is a lot of anti-police rhetoric but it's also a good way to see both sides of the coin which can lead to a good balanced officer.

The practicums I got gave me my first good look inside a prison working with offenders and ultimately ended up leading to employment.

For volunteering I'd highly recommend volunteering with your local police dept, either municipal or federal and look into the Auxiliary / Reserve Police program.

With the criminal justice degree, and reserve police experience, its clear what you are looking to do for a career, and you'd look golden on any police application.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

A.blackburn
Rookie Member

Postby A.blackburn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Tbh do what you like. I enjoyed criminology even if sometimes i had a different opinion. It sure did open my mind and I don’t regret doing it before the academy.

In the end they hire a person, not an education. If you can articulate why you chose either this or that and what you gained from it, you can pretty much study anything. Same goes for volunteering.
Police Officer

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 pm

People get hired from fast food and delivery drivers with a degree in nothing but life. Some get hired with a number of degrees etc.

Don't over think it. Present well and answer the interview questions well, don't "neglect" to mention stuff on your background, have some life experience, check a few right boxes. They will teach you the rest in training.

As mentioned above. Read the other dozen forums dealing with the same issues.