Peel Regional Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Batman10
Rookie Member

Re: Peel Regional Police

Postby Batman10 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:55 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:26 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:59 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:27 pm

That is truly pathetic.
That's average lol. Hitting 9 is hard
We shouldn't be hiring average people. Anything lower than 8.5 IMO is unacceptable. Wasn't the minimum a 7 with ATS not long ago? How can people show up and only make it to 7 or 7.5? Come on now.
What if you fail the pin by a small margine afew times. Do they deffer the applicant to the next class sometimes instead of rejection? I always end up dying by stage 8 I really am gonna start running every day. I have afew months

Slovak4188

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 pm

Batman10 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:55 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Wingman19 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:59 pm

That's average lol. Hitting 9 is hard
We shouldn't be hiring average people. Anything lower than 8.5 IMO is unacceptable. Wasn't the minimum a 7 with ATS not long ago? How can people show up and only make it to 7 or 7.5? Come on now.
What if you fail the pin by a small margine afew times. Do they deffer the applicant to the next class sometimes instead of rejection? I always end up dying by stage 8 I really am gonna start running every day. I have afew months
No one can answer that. In my personal opinion, failing is unacceptable and you should be sent home immediately. It is not difficult to pass, it's only slightly more difficult to do well. Realistically if you aren't scoring in the mid 80's or higher, this probably isn't the career for you.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Batman10
Rookie Member

Postby Batman10 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:15 am

Slovak4188 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 pm
Batman10 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:55 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:

No one can answer that. In my personal opinion, failing is unacceptable and you should be sent home immediately. It is not difficult to pass, it's only slightly more difficult to do well. Realistically if you aren't scoring in the mid 80's or higher, this probably isn't the career for you.
Appreciate the truth! When I attended, most people I ran with couldn't even get to a 7.5 on the shuttle. Only 2 people lasted till 8.5 including myself. I know a friend who attempted the pin didn't make it 2-3 times. They ended up making him do it the next class and he finally got 75 lol. Would you know if peel only does the shuttle in the gym or do they make you run outdoors during the warmer months?

yamaz
Rookie Member

Postby yamaz » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:00 pm

I did the physical part of the testing during my LFA on February 12th. I highly suggest everyone work on their cardio. I think out of 18 people that did it that day it was only myself and another guy who ran past level 9 with multiple people not even reaching 7.5. All the recruiter officers were watching us run for the duration of the physical component.
Correctional Officer 2
-----
PRP Appl;
01/01/20: Sent app
02/12/20: LFA
04/22/20: in-depth Interview
05/21/2020: Psych
06/19/20: BGI
06/30/20: Pre-Board physical
07/08/20: Board Interview
07/23/20: Medical
08/07/20: Pending Letter of hire signing date

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:29 pm

yamaz wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:00 pm
I did the physical part of the testing during my LFA on February 12th. I highly suggest everyone work on their cardio. I think out of 18 people that did it that day it was only myself and another guy who ran past level 9 with multiple people not even reaching 7.5. All the recruiter officers were watching us run for the duration of the physical component.
Many people have moved forward with Peel reaching 7.5 or 7. Its not the end of the world and they re-test candidates for the PIN. Becoming a PO is not just about running. Yes, they want fit people but that is one trait. I feel like we're setting a precedent that if you don't hit 9, you're done.

Good on your process!
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

SP: Dec16 2019
QA: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suit: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP invite: Sept/20
PEP rec: Sept/20
Psych: Nov/20
Med:
Municipal apps: On-Going

SElizabeth84
Rookie Member

Postby SElizabeth84 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:37 pm

There is always room to improve, but I highly disagree with a blanket statement that anything under 8.5 is unacceptable. My cardiovascular health is above average regardless of my running 8.5-9s or not. If I scored 8.5 on the shuttle I would be off the PIN test charts for a 35 y.o. woman. My PIN test score averages above 95%. I think police should be fit and fitness is not as simple as a single isolated variable on a chart.

raptorsfan
Rookie Member

Postby raptorsfan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:29 pm
yamaz wrote:
Many people have moved forward with Peel reaching 7.5 or 7. Its not the end of the world and they re-test candidates for the PIN. Becoming a PO is not just about running. Yes, they want fit people but that is one trait. I feel like we're setting a precedent that if you don't hit 9, you're done.

Good on your process!
I'd take the words of a serving Peel police officer over an applicant's but that's just me.
POLICE OFFICER

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:41 pm

raptorsfan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:52 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:29 pm
yamaz wrote:

Good on your process!
I'd take the words of a serving Peel police officer over an applicant's but that's just me.
Those were words from a member of the Peel Police Recruiting unit.
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

RFI April/20
Med:

Slovak4188

Postby Slovak4188 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:04 pm

SElizabeth84 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:37 pm
There is always room to improve, but I highly disagree with a blanket statement that anything under 8.5 is unacceptable. My cardiovascular health is above average regardless of my running 8.5-9s or not. If I scored 8.5 on the shuttle I would be off the PIN test charts for a 35 y.o. woman. My PIN test score averages above 95%. I think police should be fit and fitness is not as simple as a single isolated variable on a chart.
Tell me that when you have to chase an 18 year old kid whom just robbed someone with a hunting knife running through backyards and if you lose him, he could potentially kill someone and then you're liable.

Also a 36 year old in my hiring year scored a 15 on the shuttle run.

Trust me, a lot of you have no clue what it's like out there. Just because you get in doesn't mean you are qualified to do this job. Many people look decent on paper and don't even make it through training.

SElizabeth84
Rookie Member

Postby SElizabeth84 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:24 am

Slovak4188 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:04 pm
SElizabeth84 wrote:
Tell me that when you have to chase an 18 year old kid whom just robbed someone with a hunting knife running through backyards and if you lose him, he could potentially kill someone and then you're liable.

Trust me, a lot of you have no clue what it's like out there. Just because you get in doesn't mean you are qualified to do this job. Many people look decent on paper and don't even make it through training.

What matters is being fit (psychologically and physically) and that depends on multiple variables. Also, I’ve seen people that score high on the shuttle run, but not on flexibility and end up out of work for extended periods after “pulling” their backs on the job. The measurement of physical fitness is more science than anecdotal and/or subjective statements. There are reasons why there are particular standards based on the best available evidence.

Ultimately, policing is more than chasing someone through backyards and we all have different skills to bring to the table, which is why policing involves teamwork.

Slovak4188

Postby Slovak4188 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:01 pm

SElizabeth84 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:24 am
Slovak4188 wrote:
SElizabeth84 wrote:

What matters is being fit (psychologically and physically) and that depends on multiple variables. Also, I’ve seen people that score high on the shuttle run, but not on flexibility and end up out of work for extended periods after “pulling” their backs on the job. The measurement of physical fitness is more science than anecdotal and/or subjective statements. There are reasons why there are particular standards based on the best available evidence.

Ultimately, policing is more than chasing someone through backyards and we all have different skills to bring to the table, which is why policing involves teamwork.
This response is confusing.

nothof60
Rookie Member

Postby nothof60 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm going to throw fuel on the fire here; With all do respect, Slovac, what is your opinion on female officers, people that haven't taken jujitsu or ground fighting techniques, males who can not bench press 315 for 10 and do 20+ body weight pull ups?

EVERYBODY has a unique skill set that they bring this profession. Everyone should be asking themselves: What is mine and what makes me stand apart?
Last edited by nothof60 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:01 pm
SElizabeth84 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:24 am
Slovak4188 wrote:

This response is confusing.
Can you come to my LFA and give me your endorsement if I hit 9. As one Baratheon brotha to anotha.
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

RFI April/20
Med:

Slovak4188

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:38 am

nothof60 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:04 pm
I'm going to throw fuel on the fire here; With all do respect, Slovac, what is your opinion on female officers, people that haven't taken jujitsu or ground fighting techniques, males who can not bench press 315 for 10 and do 20+ body weight pull ups?

EVERYBODY has a unique skill set that they bring this profession. Everyone should be asking themselves: What is mine and what makes me stand apart?
I work with many fine female officers. What does this have to do with anything :ponder: ?

To those who have never been in a fight in their life and have no training, I've had partners freeze in the middle of a tense situation. People with sparring/rolling/fight experience have such a huge advantage over those whom do not, especially for optics when dealing with a physical situation and just general effectiveness. The bench pressing 315 and pull ups comment I'm not even going to dignify with a response.

No. Not everyone has something to offer this profession. That's why most people never get in. To those who do get in, there are occasions where recruiting has made an error; that person has nothing to offer, cannot meet the minimum standard and/or becomes a liability on their shift. Trust me. It happens. No one in this job is infallible. Recruiting has a very difficult job trying to feel out candidates in only a handful of hours and are under immense political pressure regarding whom they hire., particularly the Inspector of Recruiting, whom is my old boss and one of the hardest working/fairest/most intelligent people I've ever met in my life.

You guys are giving such naive answers that sound like they're out of a textbook. If you honestly think you are the authority on this topic, particularly with Peel AS AN APPLICANT, kudos to you. Seeing as none of you here work for us (with the exception of Raptorsfan, who seems to agree with what I'm saying because he has seen it himself and has real life experience) I would heavily recommend you revisit your posts if you are lucky enough to get hired somewhere. You will kick yourself with the naivety of some of the statements you've made.

SElizabeth84
Rookie Member

Postby SElizabeth84 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:05 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:38 am
nothof60 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:04 pm

I work with many fine female officers. What does this have to do with anything :ponder: ?

To those who have never been in a fight in their life and have no training, I've had partners freeze in the middle of a tense situation. People with sparring/rolling/fight experience have such a huge advantage over those whom do not, especially for optics when dealing with a physical situation and just general effectiveness. The bench pressing 315 and pull ups comment I'm not even going to dignify with a response.

No. Not everyone has something to offer this profession. That's why most people never get in. To those who do get in, there are occasions where recruiting has made an error; that person has nothing to offer, cannot meet the minimum standard and/or becomes a liability on their shift. Trust me. It happens. No one in this job is infallible. Recruiting has a very difficult job trying to feel out candidates in only a handful of hours and are under immense political pressure regarding whom they hire., particularly the Inspector of Recruiting, whom is my old boss and one of the hardest working/fairest/most intelligent people I've ever met in my life.

You guys are giving such naive answers that sound like they're out of a textbook. If you honestly think you are the authority on this topic, particularly with Peel AS AN APPLICANT, kudos to you. Seeing as none of you here work for us (with the exception of Raptorsfan, who seems to agree with what I'm saying because he has seen it himself and has real life experience) I would heavily recommend you revisit your posts if you are lucky enough to get hired somewhere. You will kick yourself with the naivety of some of the statements you've made.
To bring this conversation back around, you initially were insinuating that people were unqualified and pathetic for their shuttle run scores being at (or even above) the standard requirements. The ability to run past 8, as an example, is not a good representation of overall fitness and suitability. That is why fitness evaluations involve much more than a single variable on a shuttle run. This is not a matter of opinion; there is a whole scientific realm that deals with fitness.

On the matter of authority, why do you believe you have the authority to tell potential Peel applicants whether they are qualified or not? Are you in recruiting currently? I did link this thread to a member of the recruiting unit and the advice back to me was not to put much stock into these threads. Do you think you might be undermining their recruiting efforts with your posts? You very well could be (either intentionally or non intentionally).