GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Kevlar
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Kevlar » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:21 pm

I think y'all missed the point of what I wrote. Which is quite unfortunate.

We can stand around and talk about the hiring process and how it should be and how it would be more fair and how it would save tax payers money til the next passing of Haleys Comet. And there are very valid points and Im sure nothing that the recruitment department hasnt heard before.

The point I made was looking at the process as it stands right this moment. As it stands right now. Sometimes you get dealt a less than favorable hand. And if you want it bad enough youll play that hand like a boss.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:50 am

Kevlar wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:21 pm
I think y'all missed the point of what I wrote. Which is quite unfortunate.

We can stand around and talk about the hiring process and how it should be and how it would be more fair and how it would save tax payers money til the next passing of Haleys Comet. And there are very valid points and Im sure nothing that the recruitment department hasnt heard before.

The point I made was looking at the process as it stands right this moment. As it stands right now. Sometimes you get dealt a less than favorable hand. And if you want it bad enough youll play that hand like a boss.
I got it the first time , and I can also see the time we live in, full of entitled, overly sensitive and easily offended people , sad , but we have to adapt to the environment.

These small inconveniences of the process - travel , any related expense never really bothered me one bit. Nor does the living at Rigaud for 4 months on tiny allowance. Heck, I will go at Rigaud without allowance at all if they give me some assurance of a region where I will be posted up front, before the training.

About playing like a BOSS the bad hand of a bad POE, it’s not such clear cut in all cases. I have read some horror stories how BSOs can’t get out of a POE once assigned. That’s a hand not easy to play for some category of people.

That’s the only thing I don’t like about this process , And I firmly believe CBSA can do hiring for specific POEs if they decide to. Not an impossible task. Any other GOC department hires local staff under same selection process nationwide. It’s not a rocket science if there’s will to make it.

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:08 am

Well yes you are correct on the above. Yet people still apply knowing the terms and conditions and then piss and moan when the terms and conditions dont come out in their favor.

We all signed on the dotted line when we had our interview, and I would hope we all read the posting in its entirety before applying, not hoping to get through the process and then break their crayons when its not all it was cracked up to bein their mind.

Does it suck? Yep. But thats life.

I live in a major city, where they could have done every single aspect of my process and yet I had to drive all over the province, livein hotels, fuel the car numerous times, take time off work, to fulfill the requirements they asked for. And I did it because I know the potential end result.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:03 am

Tucker wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 pm
Stone. wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:59 pm
I can’t see the CBSA changing the way ports are selected. There might be slight changes but it’ll still be a luck of the draw. No one wants to work at the Lyleton Manitoba POE.
I personally see that as a desirable spot. Low cost of living for equal pay... hmmmm
If that’s your only pro to working there or similar POEs in that region, I couldn’t disagree with you more. No one volunteers to go to these POEs when there’s others available.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:14 am

Let’s say hypothetically in the early 2000s the CBSA use to hire recruits regionally. Hypothetically it was great for Southern Ontario Region, Greater Toronto Area Region, Quebec Region, Pacific Region, and even possibly Northern Ontario Region. But, hypothetically, it was terrible for Prairie Region and Atlantic Region.

How would you individuals plan to hire recruits regionally, and staff the POEs in the Prairie and Atlantic Region? Hypothetically, of course.

JDube
Rookie Member

Postby JDube » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:05 am

Stone. wrote:
I can’t see the CBSA changing the way ports are selected. There might be slight changes but it’ll still be a luck of the draw. No one wants to work at the Lyleton Manitoba POE.
The process I applied to is different. It was confirmed at interview that those in my process would know their potential POE before starting the formation in Rigaud.

They also did a small communities process before, which was quite specific on the POE that would need to be filled. I don't know how successful it was but what I see is that Recruitment is ready to make some serious changes to the process.
Quebec CBSA applicant timeline
Applied: Jan 16th 2019
OTEE: Feb 21-25th 2019 - Results March, Pass
Interview: May 27th 2019 - Results June Pass
Psych eval: September 2019 - Pass
Security papers - Sent November 2019
Integrity interview - March 2020

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:37 am

Stone. wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:14 am
Let’s say hypothetically in the early 2000s the CBSA use to hire recruits regionally. Hypothetically it was great for Southern Ontario Region, Greater Toronto Area Region, Quebec Region, Pacific Region, and even possibly Northern Ontario Region. But, hypothetically, it was terrible for Prairie Region and Atlantic Region.

How would you individuals plan to hire recruits regionally, and staff the POEs in the Prairie and Atlantic Region? Hypothetically, of course.
One possible way I see to implement this is :
The 2019 process we could have selected every possible POE in Canada as desired.
I have selected a few in my region that are in 100 km around my home
If a top down system for selection is used, when my turn comes to go to Rigaud, HR checks if there’s vacancies in my desired locations, if not, I am informed by email and given chance to accept posting at another place or loose my spot in line and may be given one more chance on a later intake.
The POEs can be required to declare their need of staff a year or more in advance. That way HR can plan for it.
Some recruits will face a choice - get their specific desired location or when not available decline the offer for another POE before the training.
I believe even now we can decline the offer to go to Rigaud, si not much will change.

The people that select all POEs in Canada will be guaranteed a spot in any available POE at invite time, and the ones that selected only a few will know their chance is way lower. So the ones that select all, will have an advantage to get in training faster.

To avoid the expenses for CBSA for repetitive tests for people that wait for a spot on their desired region, pools will expire yearly nand CBSA HR will only test a number of applicants required to fill the spots available. You decline all offers during the all yearly intakes, game over, as you choose it that way. And not all applicants will be invited for testing, only the ones selected for further testing will be contacted from the over 20 000 that apply yearly.

That’s one of the Hypothetical scenarios I see.

Many other GOC departments get hundreds or thousands of applicants for a few regional postings and they handle it fine. Applicants will know their chance is smaller and only the ones that really mind relocating will select their local regions.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:09 am

JDube wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:05 am
Stone. wrote:
The process I applied to is different. It was confirmed at interview that those in my process would know their potential POE before starting the formation in Rigaud.

They also did a small communities process before, which was quite specific on the POE that would need to be filled. I don't know how successful it was but what I see is that Recruitment is ready to make some serious changes to the process.
Hopefully that's what they are planning !
Fingers crossed.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 pm

JDube wrote:
Stone. wrote:

That doesn’t change how POEs are selected. That only changes when POEs are selected. If I had to bet it’s the same exact process as it is now, the only difference being it’s done before Rigaud.

I remember the small communities post which did have some applicants but if I had to guess it wasn’t much of a success. No matter what the CBSA does, working a small remote POE in the Prairies is not preferable to most applicants.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm

Stone. wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:00 pm
JDube wrote:
Stone. wrote:

That doesn’t change how POEs are selected. That only changes when POEs are selected. If I had to bet it’s the same exact process as it is now, the only difference being it’s done before Rigaud.

I remember the small communities post which did have some applicants but if I had to guess it wasn’t much of a success. No matter what the CBSA does, working a small remote POE in the Prairies is not preferable to most applicants.
If they make it that way, I see it way better than the current system as that will remove the anxiety in applicants for the number of weeks they wait for that POE lottery.

And the ones that really mind relocating will have the chance to decline the offer, saving the CBSA the expense and leaving the spot for someone else.

Win-win

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:43 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:37 am
Stone. wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:14 am

One possible way I see to implement this is :
The 2019 process we could have selected every possible POE in Canada as desired.
I have selected a few in my region that are in 100 km around my home
If a top down system for selection is used, when my turn comes to go to Rigaud, HR checks if there’s vacancies in my desired locations, if not, I am informed by email and given chance to accept posting at another place or loose my spot in line and may be given one more chance on a later intake.
The POEs can be required to declare their need of staff a year or more in advance. That way HR can plan for it.
Some recruits will face a choice - get their specific desired location or when not available decline the offer for another POE before the training.
I believe even now we can decline the offer to go to Rigaud, si not much will change.

The people that select all POEs in Canada will be guaranteed a spot in any available POE at invite time, and the ones that selected only a few will know their chance is way lower. So the ones that select all, will have an advantage to get in training faster.

To avoid the expenses for CBSA for repetitive tests for people that wait for a spot on their desired region, pools will expire yearly nand CBSA HR will only test a number of applicants required to fill the spots available. You decline all offers during the all yearly intakes, game over, as you choose it that way. And not all applicants will be invited for testing, only the ones selected for further testing will be contacted from the over 20 000 that apply yearly.

That’s one of the Hypothetical scenarios I see.

Many other GOC departments get hundreds or thousands of applicants for a few regional postings and they handle it fine. Applicants will know their chance is smaller and only the ones that really mind relocating will select their local regions.
So during the application where you are required to selected which POEs you want to work at, that’s strictly for stats. It has no effect on your application or where you are placed. I was told this in Rigaud by the managers in charge of placing recruits at POEs.

As for your scenario, the only advantage is being hired faster. Your scenario doesn’t help recruits get to their desired POEs after Rigaud.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:48 pm

A North wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:48 pm
Is recruitment always this much of a joke?
CBSA is not for you. Move on and save yourself and them a lot of time. Someone else would be GLAD to have your spot and would WELCOME a chance find a way to drive 1 1/2 hours to an interview. It's called initiative, and you don't have it.

Bottom line. This is not a job for entitled millennials. You will not get paid until long after your training. You WILL have to serve in any location they send you for operational needs. You will not be able to transfer out of that location for many years. CBSA has to staff EVERY POE, not just the popular ones. They may make some changes but they will not be giving new recruits their choices of the best ports when experienced officers have been staffing those small town remote ports most of their careers, and would love to transfer to a more desirable location.

On the up side, every dime you spend on travel to interviews, CFSC courses, medical tests, living with no income in Rigaud, etc. will be returned to you five fold in your first year of working just in overtime. You will have an important career doing what you love to do, and will graduate from Rigaud with zero student loans. How many others can say the same? Grow up, stop your whining and either change your attitude, or move on to another job where they will hire entitled whiners. Lots of successful people went through FAR FAR more in order to get the job they wanted.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:53 pm

hashimshah wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:25 pm
Hi guys, I need advice. My CRFSC and CFSC will end tomorrow. CBSA has given me till April 3 to provide proof of completion. RCMP takes 4 to 6 weeks to mail a stamped copywhich means I may not have a copy of my results by then.
In the spirit of "International Tell-It-Like-It-Is Day," perhaps you should have done this course a LONG time ago ... just like we HAVE BEEN ADVISING PEOPLE TO DO ON THIS FORUM FOR YEARS.

Honestly, it is getting very frustrating trying to moderate this forum when no one reads past posts and no one listens to good advice.

If you are not getting your forms back from the instructor when you complete the course, maybe you took the wrong course. Maybe you should have asked before you signed up for it.

The CFSC and CRFSC does not expire. It is good training and it lasts for a lifetime. IT SAVES LIVES.

Don't leave it for the last minute!!

DrancsCDN
Rookie Member

Postby DrancsCDN » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm
Stone. wrote:
JDube wrote:

If they make it that way, I see it way better than the current system as that will remove the anxiety in applicants for the number of weeks they wait for that POE lottery.

And the ones that really mind relocating will have the chance to decline the offer, saving the CBSA the expense and leaving the spot for someone else.

Win-win
I applied to the small communities posting and it actually closed earlier because it had been extremely successful with applicants.

Once my file got pulled from the inventory I received an email stating this.

Attached you will find a Port of Entry (POE) catalogue. It provides a description of all the bilingual imperative POEs which are being staffed through selection process # 16-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-006-A

Once you have reviewed the port of entry, you will have the opportunity to select up to 3 districts of your choice.

Please note that each of your 3 selections will be weighted the same and they will not be considered in a preferential order.

Your response will be returned to the Officer Recruitment Program.

Should you be successful in the selection process, will be confirmed before your training begins at the CBSA College in Rigaud, QC.

So if read this correctly I basically chose 3 Regions/Districts with some having lots of different small POE’s and others having 1. The regions/Districts were from N.L to Northern Ontario, Prairies and all the way to the Yukon.

That was done even before getting an interview.
Applied: 04/18
Interview: 12/18 ✅
Psych: 02/19 ✅
Sec. Papers: 02/19 ✅
SLE Comp./Writing: 03/19 ✅
PARE: 05/19 ✅
Medical: 06/19 ✅ 03/20 in progress
Sec. Interview: 08/19✅
Clear. Granted: 08/19✅
SLE Oral Prof.:10/19✅
OITP: ?
Rigaud: ?

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:24 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 pm
Stone. wrote:
JDube wrote:

Win-win
I agree, it’s definitely better for recruits to find out where they’re going before they get to Rigaud.

The point I’m trying to make is the CBSA has tried to accommodate recruits and place them at the POEs they want; however, the CBSA quickly found out the remote POEs weren’t getting more officers. This is why we have the double lottery system we have now and why I don’t think it’ll change.