GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 pm

As if I just got an interview invite after they previously bounced me from the process? I won't complain but can somebody make this make sense?

And as if they give me 8:15 am in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa) when I don't have a car of my own.

Does anybody know if I'd be subject to knowing my PoE in advance like other recruits are having or are supposed to be having? As a broke student who will need to pay back loans soon, the thought of not knowing until week 10 and only having 2 weeks to get out there and then not get paid for another 4-8 weeks is not a very nice one.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

JEagle10
Regular Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby JEagle10 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:21 pm

A North wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 pm
As if I just got an interview invite after they previously bounced me from the process? I won't complain but can somebody make this make sense?

And as if they give me 8:15 am in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa) when I don't have a car of my own.

Does anybody know if I'd be subject to knowing my PoE in advance like other recruits are having or are supposed to be having? As a broke student who will need to pay back loans soon, the thought of not knowing until week 10 and only having 2 weeks to get out there and then not get paid for another 4-8 weeks is not a very nice one.
What day of the week did they make your interview? PM me if you'd like. Also I haven't heard of anyone else here currently knowing their POE before Rigaud, kinda just gotta cross the fingers they change the process or you get lucky lol

IronWolf
Veteran Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm

A North wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 pm
As if I just got an interview invite after they previously bounced me from the process? I won't complain but can somebody make this make sense?

And as if they give me 8:15 am in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa) when I don't have a car of my own.

Does anybody know if I'd be subject to knowing my PoE in advance like other recruits are having or are supposed to be having? As a broke student who will need to pay back loans soon, the thought of not knowing until week 10 and only having 2 weeks to get out there and then not get paid for another 4-8 weeks is not a very nice one.
You can email them and ask for alternative location, explaining the reason (no car, no easy public transport).

If it was me, I would rent a car and go :)

I am not aware of any assurances by CBSA yet to know your PoE in advance at this time. Let us know what the officers at your interview say about that.

Good luck !

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm
A North wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 pm
As if I just got an interview invite after they previously bounced me from the process? I won't complain but can somebody make this make sense?

And as if they give me 8:15 am in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa) when I don't have a car of my own.

Does anybody know if I'd be subject to knowing my PoE in advance like other recruits are having or are supposed to be having? As a broke student who will need to pay back loans soon, the thought of not knowing until week 10 and only having 2 weeks to get out there and then not get paid for another 4-8 weeks is not a very nice one.
You can email them and ask for alternative location, explaining the reason (no car, no easy public transport).

If it was me, I would rent a car and go :)

I am not aware of any assurances by CBSA yet to know your PoE in advance at this time. Let us know what the officers at your interview say about that.

Good luck !
The challenge for me is just not having well enough funds to rent a car and book a hotel. And the e-mail from them indicates that only certain requests for alternate interviews will be permitted, none of which involve not being able to get to the interview location...
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

User avatar
CaptainMarvel
Rookie Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CaptainMarvel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:16 pm

A North wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm
A North wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 pm
As if I just got an interview invite after they previously bounced me from the process? I won't complain but can somebody make this make sense?

And as if they give me 8:15 am in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa) when I don't have a car of my own.

Does anybody know if I'd be subject to knowing my PoE in advance like other recruits are having or are supposed to be having? As a broke student who will need to pay back loans soon, the thought of not knowing until week 10 and only having 2 weeks to get out there and then not get paid for another 4-8 weeks is not a very nice one.
You can email them and ask for alternative location, explaining the reason (no car, no easy public transport).

If it was me, I would rent a car and go :)

I am not aware of any assurances by CBSA yet to know your PoE in advance at this time. Let us know what the officers at your interview say about that.

Good luck !
The challenge for me is just not having well enough funds to rent a car and book a hotel. And the e-mail from them indicates that only certain requests for alternate interviews will be permitted, none of which involve not being able to get to the interview location...
You should be able to request change of location if you can't get there, although it might push your date even further. Just email and ask, they will let you know your options.

Regarding student loans: there are plenty of Repayment Assistance Plans and Revision of Terms you can negotiate with the NSLSC if they are federal Canada loans. Usually based on income and good for 6 month intervals. You can sometimes get payments down to zero if you aren't making much. Personally, I would rcommend doing some research on these things rather than stressing about hypotheticals. Not to mention an invite may be 1-2 years away, lots of time to plan, find work, save, etc.

A North
Regular Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby A North » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:38 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:16 pm
A North wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:25 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm


You can email them and ask for alternative location, explaining the reason (no car, no easy public transport).

If it was me, I would rent a car and go :)

I am not aware of any assurances by CBSA yet to know your PoE in advance at this time. Let us know what the officers at your interview say about that.

Good luck !
The challenge for me is just not having well enough funds to rent a car and book a hotel. And the e-mail from them indicates that only certain requests for alternate interviews will be permitted, none of which involve not being able to get to the interview location...
You should be able to request change of location if you can't get there, although it might push your date even further. Just email and ask, they will let you know your options.

Regarding student loans: there are plenty of Repayment Assistance Plans and Revision of Terms you can negotiate with the NSLSC if they are federal Canada loans. Usually based on income and good for 6 month intervals. You can sometimes get payments down to zero if you aren't making much. Personally, I would rcommend doing some research on these things rather than stressing about hypotheticals. Not to mention an invite may be 1-2 years away, lots of time to plan, find work, save, etc.
Thanks for the insight, friend.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Lospollos
Rookie Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Lospollos » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:05 am

A North wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 pm
As if I just got an interview invite after they previously bounced me from the process? I won't complain but can somebody make this make sense?

And as if they give me 8:15 am in Rigaud (I live in Ottawa) when I don't have a car of my own.

Does anybody know if I'd be subject to knowing my PoE in advance like other recruits are having or are supposed to be having? As a broke student who will need to pay back loans soon, the thought of not knowing until week 10 and only having 2 weeks to get out there and then not get paid for another 4-8 weeks is not a very nice one.
You have a six month grace period before you have to start paying once u finish school. Part time job NOW to save up some money might also mitigate some of it. You really have to plan ahead.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Eastcoast_recruit
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:13 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Eastcoast_recruit » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:11 am

I graduated from Rigaud last year. I was in the hiring process since 2014. My advice would be to stay patient and positive and just know everyone has a different experience when it comes to the process. You can speculate about why security clearances take forever but there’s no cut and dry answer. And no news is good news. Just keep living your life. Hopefully those of you that pass all the steps can have a much more favourable timeline than I had lol.
BSO

User avatar
kittycat1024
Regular Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby kittycat1024 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:47 am

Eastcoast_recruit wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:11 am
I graduated from Rigaud last year. I was in the hiring process since 2014. My advice would be to stay patient and positive and just know everyone has a different experience when it comes to the process. You can speculate about why security clearances take forever but there’s no cut and dry answer. And no news is good news. Just keep living your life. Hopefully those of you that pass all the steps can have a much more favourable timeline than I had lol.
wow, it took 5 years for your timeline? So you had to re-take PARE, medical etc twice or more?

May I ask which province you applied before?
Applied: 2018
PAL: Obtained
Interview: Oct 2019 (Passed)
PARE: Feb 2020 (Passed)
MMPI: TBC
:swords:

Eastcoast_recruit
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:13 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Eastcoast_recruit » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 am

Yes I was in the process for 5 years. I applied in 2014 and wrote the 2 tests in 2015. And then it was a very long waiting game. I completed all the steps and the only thing I had to do for a second time was the medical. I waited to do the PARE last because I figured after a while it was going to be a very long process. I applied from NL.
BSO

IronWolf
Veteran Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:33 am

Eastcoast_recruit wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 am
Yes I was in the process for 5 years. I applied in 2014 and wrote the 2 tests in 2015. And then it was a very long waiting game. I completed all the steps and the only thing I had to do for a second time was the medical. I waited to do the PARE last because I figured after a while it was going to be a very long process. I applied from NL.
CBSA really should correct their official page, where they say :

============
Becoming a border services officer can take up to three years, from start to finish.

1 year - Once your application is pulled from our inventory, the selection process can take up to one year.

5.5 months - The training phase is made up of four weeks of online training followed by 4.5 months of in-residence training at our college in Rigaud, Quebec.

1 to 1.5 years - The on-the-job development phase is 1 to 1.5 years long.
============


for most takes over 1 year to finish the selection process and for most it takes over 3 years to become a full BSO, really misleading for applicants

Zepedder
Rookie Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zepedder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Has anyone that has completed the CATIII Medical received a call from Health Canada afterwards? The previous two times I completed it I wasn't contacted but I renewed it for a third time a couple of weeks ago and I received a call today to review some of my answers. I'm wondering if this is standard procedure as I didn't have any new or missing information compared to prior examinations.
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

hsinom
Regular Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:04 pm
Has anyone that has completed the CATIII Medical received a call from Health Canada afterwards? The previous two times I completed it I wasn't contacted but I renewed it for a third time a couple of weeks ago and I received a call today to review some of my answers. I'm wondering if this is standard procedure as I didn't have any new or missing information compared to prior examinations.
One of nurses called me back regarding my immunization record but that was at my request when I met in person but nothing other than this. Also I ended up calling the local occupational health and safety Human Resources team who is responsible for scheduling cat III and asked I can just do the redo my expired exam with my family doctor since they don't have a date available with health Canada and I was surprised they said yes but it's my responsibility to pay upfront and get reimbursed for the forms. Here is to hopefully a invite this year
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

hsinom
Regular Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby hsinom » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:04 pm
Has anyone that has completed the CATIII Medical received a call from Health Canada afterwards? The previous two times I completed it I wasn't contacted but I renewed it for a third time a couple of weeks ago and I received a call today to review some of my answers. I'm wondering if this is standard procedure as I didn't have any new or missing information compared to prior examinations.
One of nurses called me back regarding my immunization record but that was at my request when I met in person but nothing other than this. Also I ended up calling the local occupational health and safety Human Resources team who is responsible for scheduling cat III and asked I can just do the redo my expired exam with my family doctor since they don't have a date available with health Canada and I was surprised they said yes but it's my responsibility to pay upfront and get reimbursed for the forms. Here is to hopefully a invite this year
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Zepedder
Rookie Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zepedder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:50 pm

hsinom wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:34 pm
Zepedder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:04 pm
Has anyone that has completed the CATIII Medical received a call from Health Canada afterwards? The previous two times I completed it I wasn't contacted but I renewed it for a third time a couple of weeks ago and I received a call today to review some of my answers. I'm wondering if this is standard procedure as I didn't have any new or missing information compared to prior examinations.
One of nurses called me back regarding my immunization record but that was at my request when I met in person but nothing other than this. Also I ended up calling the local occupational health and safety Human Resources team who is responsible for scheduling cat III and asked I can just do the redo my expired exam with my family doctor since they don't have a date available with health Canada and I was surprised they said yes but it's my responsibility to pay upfront and get reimbursed for the forms. Here is to hopefully a invite this year
I appreciate the response! I just found it odd because they were the same answers I provided last May when I did the medical and I wasn't contacted. I won't worry about it then, I'm just hoping my results are received in time for the next intake but I'll just have to wait and see. Best of luck to you and hoping you get an invite as well!
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Canadianpatriot, Esquire7, Google [Bot] and 12 guests