GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
neonlights97

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby neonlights97 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:36 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:30 pm
Jumb34t wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 am

No one really said doing it early is bad. It's just that a lot of people would rather not keep paying to get it done/redone, and some may have to travel far distances and not have the means to easily do that. Hearing and seeing so many applicants having to redo their PARE because of the long wait time, I can understand why people would rather do it later on in the process instead of very early.

Then again, there's some benefits to doing it early. If you fail, there's no pressure for you to get it done asap. If you have to redo it, you already know how the test is like and you'll be more ready.

As long as it's only required before the training, it really doesn't matter imo when people want to do their PARE test.
Would it be advisable to do the PARE even if we haven't applied yet? I'm only asking because if we haven't applied, how would they know where to send it to? Or would they provide me with a document of successful completion and it would be up to me to submit it to recruitment upon their request during the selection process.
I'd wait. If you haven't even applied you're looking at at least 2 years probably. PARE will need to be redone. Also like you say, they won't have anyone to send it to. If you want to run it for practice, that's your time and money, but I would advise you to wait until you're instructed.
Fair enough, thanks for the advice :)

A North

Postby A North » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:52 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:11 pm
mendoza68 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 pm
Anyone know if having a laptop at Rigaud is recommended?
They give you a learning laptop with no wifi, the CBSA site says. You can take your own for your free time, I guess.

Laptops in the learning room (when I visited in January 2020) were pretty decent, i7, 1080P 15.6" screens.

Here's what a search in the forum brings :
yojimbojack wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:58 pm
jd123 wrote:Is it beneficial for people to have their own laptop up at Rigaud? For class purposes, not personal. Thanks.
Only personal use allowed for your own laptop. You will be provided an agency laptop for class use. You are forbidden from bringing your own laptops/media devices/phones etc into the classroom facility.

The wifi in dorms/cafeteria is definitely terrible, barely works and you are capped for data use. I used my data plan ($$$) to Skype home as the wifi made it unbearable and too annoying. The other options are the student computer room CBSA PCs with hard wired Internet or the Tim Hortons wifi if you head down for a coffee.

My suggestion - get a good data plan before you go!
Why does it not surprise me that they cap your wifi use?? 🙄 I mean it's not likely I'll ever go to Rigaud at this point but if I do, looks like Timmies will be my second home lol.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 pm

Jumb34t wrote:
No one really said doing it early is bad. It's just that a lot of people would rather not keep paying to get it done/redone, and some may have to travel far distances and not have the means to easily do that. Hearing and seeing so many applicants having to redo their PARE because of the long wait time, I can understand why people would rather do it later on in the process instead of very early.

Then again, there's some benefits to doing it early. If you fail, there's no pressure for you to get it done asap. If you have to redo it, you already know how the test is like and you'll be more ready.

As long as it's only required before the training, it really doesn't matter imo when people want to do their PARE test.
CBSA states their preference PARE to be done early in the process and to keep it active during the process, or at least that's how I read it :

In the email with successful Interview result :
"Reminder Regarding the Physical Abilities Standard:
If you have not yet completed the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (PARE), please make the necessary arrangements as soon as possible. It is important to obtain a successful PARE result as soon as possible as it is an operational requirement that must be met to successfully complete the selection process and be invited to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program. "

I agree that everyone should do what they believe is best, depending of their circumstances. Cost may be a real factor for some people.
My comment was more about that when the HR sends you emails reminding you to complete PARE, and they say "ASAP", maybe is best to do it. As it just maybe a factor in the selection process, and even if it is not, then you know you can do it later again.

JEagle10

Postby JEagle10 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 am

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 am
It always amazes me how some people say PARE is OK to postpone till the end, while CBSA reminds about doing it very early in the process, even with the email about the Interview.

I did it early and all steps and progress was fast so far, may have to redo it, but will never see it as a loss anyway. Showing dedication to the process can’t be a bad thing.
I'm not saying it's okay to postpone.. but you can for sure wait to do the PARE until after your pysch, even after the pysch you still have the medical / security clearance which can take a very long time.

Jumb34t

Postby Jumb34t » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:58 am

IronWolf wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 pm
Jumb34t wrote:

CBSA states their preference PARE to be done early in the process and to keep it active during the process, or at least that's how I read it :

If you have not yet completed the Physical Abilities Requirement Evaluation (PARE), please make the necessary arrangements as soon as possible. It is important to obtain a successful PARE result as soon as possible as it is an operational requirement that must be met to successfully complete the selection process and be invited to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program. "

I agree that everyone should do what they believe is best, depending of their circumstances. Cost may be a real factor for some people.
My comment was more about that when the HR sends you emails reminding you to complete PARE, and they say "ASAP", maybe is best to do it. As it just maybe a factor in the selection process, and even if it is not, then you know you can do it later again.
That's only because according to their website, CBSA still believe that the selection process will take only 1 year, that's why they keep mentioning to do it asap. I'm not saying it will never happen, but reality is, a lot of the applicants nowadays wait way more than that. I mean, some of these people had to renew their psych, which is valid for two years.

It is important to obtain a successful PARE result as soon as possible as it is an operational requirement that must be met to successfully complete the selection process and be invited to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program.

I look at this as the whole sentence. Maybe it does, but to me, it doesn't tell me that I need to do my PARE to get my application process go faster. Although I still did my PARE early in the process, but that's only because I wanted to get it out of the way as soon as I can. And looking at other people's timelines here, doesn't seem to matter when they did their PARE. Everyone's timeline seems to be pretty random still. I mean, either of us could be wrong, but that's what I believe. :thumbsup:
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep 18
OTEE: Oct 18 77.5%
Interview: Apr 19
PARE: Aug 19
Psych Eval: Oct 19
Psych Interview: Nov 19
Sec Doc sent: Jan 20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar 20
Med Eval: May 20
Sec Interview: TBD

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 am

Jumb34t wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:58 am
IronWolf wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 pm
Jumb34t wrote:

That's only because according to their website, CBSA still believe that the selection process will take only 1 year, that's why they keep mentioning to do it asap. I'm not saying it will never happen, but reality is, a lot of the applicants nowadays wait way more than that. I mean, some of these people had to renew their psych, which is valid for two years.

It is important to obtain a successful PARE result as soon as possible as it is an operational requirement that must be met to successfully complete the selection process and be invited to participate in the Officer Induction Training Program.

I look at this as the whole sentence. Maybe it does, but to me, it doesn't tell me that I need to do my PARE to get my application process go faster. Although I still did my PARE early in the process, but that's only because I wanted to get it out of the way as soon as I can. And looking at other people's timelines here, doesn't seem to matter when they did their PARE. Everyone's timeline seems to be pretty random still. I mean, either of us could be wrong, but that's what I believe. :thumbsup:
I'll put my perspective here as well. I have yet to complete the PARE. I've been in the "Accelerated Bridging Process" from SBSO -> BSO for over a year now. 5.5 months spent at Security Clearance, which I currently hold the same level, with the same agency btw. Why, you might ask have I not done the PARE? Simple. The PARE is offered about once a month where I live and they release the schedule 4 months at a time. I would be foolish, knowing what I do about how long CBSA/LEO application processes took to be over eager and blow $100 to run the PARE before I knew I was for sure in the home stretch. Another reason, they have not even gotten in touch to do my CAT III yet. I know the people who are in charge of scheduling it, and even they have told me nothing's booked yet. So the PARE, being that it is so expensive (at least where I am) to run, is something I'm saving for the 10th hour (not quite the 11th hour) so that I can A) be in the best possible shape I can be when I run it and B) not have to run it twice on my dime.

All that being said, if someone wants to run the PARE, doesn't care if it expires and wants to run it again, power to em. For me, I don't see the usefulness of that.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 (2020-05-04-2020-11-02)

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:58 am

Jumb34t wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:58 am

Yeah, makes sense as well. It is a complicated process with many variables. We most likely won't decode them all lol

Unless someone from HR comes here and clears that up :ponder:

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:39 pm

JEagle10 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 am
IronWolf wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:39 am
It always amazes me how some people say PARE is OK to postpone till the end, while CBSA reminds about doing it very early in the process, even with the email about the Interview.

I did it early and all steps and progress was fast so far, may have to redo it, but will never see it as a loss anyway. Showing dedication to the process can’t be a bad thing.
I'm not saying it's okay to postpone.. but you can for sure wait to do the PARE until after your pysch, even after the pysch you still have the medical / security clearance which can take a very long time.
From practical standpoint, I agree with that, for sure

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 am
... they have not even gotten in touch to do my CAT III yet. I know the people who are in charge of scheduling it, and even they have told me nothing's booked yet. ...
They may have more than enough qualified and waiting for intake candidates in the pool, that have applied from previous years.

I thought delaying the Medical past 2019 maybe either for lack of doctor's availability in the area or the HR knows we are not getting in 2020 intake anyway, so not to have to re-do and pay for it again.

You are not alone in that boat, I had my clearance granted last November and no Medical yet.

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 am

Re:PARE

-approx 60% fail OTEE
-approx 75% fail interview
-approx 75 % fail psyche

If you’re male, wait to do your PARE till after you pass Psyche. You’re in for a long wait.
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass
31 Dec - Interview pass

bordurrr
Rookie Member

Postby bordurrr » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:43 pm

Does anyone know if the gym at Rigaud has spin bikes?

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:32 pm

bordurrr wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:43 pm
Does anyone know if the gym at Rigaud has spin bikes?
yes, they do : https://youtu.be/P_O8n5qBOs4?t=145

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 am

-approx 60% fail OTEE
-approx 75 % fail psyche

If you’re male, wait to do your PARE till after you pass Psyche. You’re in for a long wait.
Out of +-20,000 applicants only about 250-275 make it as a full BSO.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:42 pm

Ulcaster555 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:07 pm
Suikoden wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:06 am

-approx 60% fail OTEE
-approx 75 % fail psyche

Out of +-20,000 applicants only about 250-275 make it as a full BSO.
Those are about the same stats as the recruiter told me, %1 of applicants get hired and due to the large numbers of those who apply.

Not sure what the chances are of getting the deployment posting you ask for, but I was told in the interview that they will “do what they can to accommodate your request”

I’m not going to hold my breath though.
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️
OITP: TBD

WSM109
Rookie Member

Postby WSM109 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Anybody know what will cause an unsuccessful medical exam?
Not sure what to expect
S.M.
Halifax applicant
Applied: Jan 2019 ☑️
OTEE: Feb 2019☑️
Interview: May 2019☑️
CFSC/CRFSC: Jun 2019☑️
Psyc: Aug 2019☑️
Medical: Feb 2020 ☑️
Sec Paper: Dec 2019☑️
Sec Clearance: Feb 2020 ☑️
Pare: Jan 2020 ☑️