*** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Re: *** ASK AN ONTARIO RCMP RECRUITER ***

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 am

Morning,

In response to EastCoast1, first good for you for turning your life around and doing the positive things you have done. In order to apply to the RCMP you must not have any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted. Having said that we take into account all the things in your life when determining suitability and issuing a security clearance. Neither myself nor any other RCMP member or recruiter can tell you with certainty what will come of your application, but know that you will have to lay out all the negative things you've done, as pointed out, including the things you may not have been caught doing. Have an honest discussion with yourself about the things you've done in the past and think about if a Police service would reasonably be able to look past it.

Imran

EastCoast1
Rookie Member

Postby EastCoast1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Ont. RCMP Recruiter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 am
Morning,

In response to EastCoast1, first good for you for turning your life around and doing the positive things you have done. In order to apply to the RCMP you must not have any criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted. Having said that we take into account all the things in your life when determining suitability and issuing a security clearance. Neither myself nor any other RCMP member or recruiter can tell you with certainty what will come of your application, but know that you will have to lay out all the negative things you've done, as pointed out, including the things you may not have been caught doing. Have an honest discussion with yourself about the things you've done in the past and think about if a Police service would reasonably be able to look past it.

Imran
Not skeleton in closet except those 6 months 15 years ago . Not proud of it but will be upfront about it and completely honest . Would be taking a huge pay cut but if I can make a difference in someone’s life like a cop did for me 15 years ago then all worth it .

Thanks for your advice and your time . No need to add to this subject .

Stay safe !

N_McKenna
Rookie Member

Postby N_McKenna » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Can anyone comment on the length of days at depot? Wake up time to when we are done training and have our personal time ?

Pho-fo-Sho

Postby Pho-fo-Sho » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 am

N_McKenna wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Can anyone comment on the length of days at depot? Wake up time to when we are done training and have our personal time ?
"Working days" are from 800 - 1630 but you're waking up at 530 and you don't stop working after 1630. There is always something to do.

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:56 am

Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 am
N_McKenna wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 pm
"Working days" are from 800 - 1630 but you're waking up at 530 and you don't stop working after 1630. There is always something to do.
Is the Wifi Yay or Nay?
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Pho-fo-Sho

Postby Pho-fo-Sho » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:37 am

Yay. I heard the wifi at the trailers are a bit spotty though...

N_McKenna
Rookie Member

Postby N_McKenna » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:37 am
Time to hit the gym with 530 wake up?

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:10 pm

N_McKenna wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:29 pm
Pho-fo-Sho wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:37 am
Time to hit the gym with 530 wake up?
At 7pm.

It’s quiet hours til 5am, and pending on the day you either have morning parade at 630ish or breakfast at that time. Plus you need your pit ready for possible inspections.
K division.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:17 am

EastCoast1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:36 pm
Morning,

Imran
Not skeleton in closet except those 6 months 15 years ago . Not proud of it but will be upfront about it and completely honest . Would be taking a huge pay cut but if I can make a difference in someone’s life like a cop did for me 15 years ago then all worth it .

Stay safe !
"Security clearance
Sent: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:48 pm
Recipient: Pete Broccolo

Since I have been pardon it should not be an issue ?"

NO UNSOLICITED PM OR EMAILS TO ANY OF THE MODERATORS OR RECRUITERS, WHETHER ACTIVE-DUTY OR CRANKY-RETIRED.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:17 am
EastCoast1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:36 pm
Morning,

Imran

Stay safe !
"Security clearance
Sent: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:48 pm
Recipient: Pete Broccolo

Since I have been pardon it should not be an issue ?"

NO UNSOLICITED PM OR EMAILS TO ANY OF THE MODERATORS OR RECRUITERS, WHETHER ACTIVE-DUTY OR CRANKY-RETIRED.
Wow. This person is baiting persons now to get a response.

EastCoast1
Rookie Member

Postby EastCoast1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:35 pm

Apologies Mr Broccolo and that was about something else . No intent to “ bait “ or what ever . Was not aware of that rule .

All my questions were answered so no need to stir more shit .

solidsnake
Rookie Member

Postby solidsnake » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:50 pm

Hello, I am an aspiring RCMP officer currently still in high school. On the RCMP website it states that one must be 18 to apply to the RCMP and 19 years of age at the time of engagement, or in other words your technically allowed to start training at Depot when your 18 but must be 19 by the time you'll be allowed to hit the road. My question is if I apply to the RCMP right as I turn of age, will the RCMP hire me considering I pass all the required tests or rather turn me away and prefer a more older candidate. If they advertise that they hire at 18/19 I assume they will have no reason not to hire me whereas a municipal agency would take an older applicant who they see as having more life experience over me. So does applying right after high school make sense or is it mandatory I do some post-secondary education even though the RCMP says those that do not have a post-secondary education must complete the entrance exam and pass as the only requirement. Does anyone know of any 19/20ish year old RCMP officers?

Thanks for the info and advice!

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 am

canadianpolice wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:50 pm
Hello, I am an aspiring RCMP officer currently still in high school. On the RCMP website it states that one must be 18 to apply to the RCMP and 19 years of age at the time of engagement, or in other words your technically allowed to start training at Depot when your 18 but must be 19 by the time you'll be allowed to hit the road. My question is if I apply to the RCMP right as I turn of age, will the RCMP hire me considering I pass all the required tests or rather turn me away and prefer a more older candidate. If they advertise that they hire at 18/19 I assume they will have no reason not to hire me whereas a municipal agency would take an older applicant who they see as having more life experience over me. So does applying right after high school make sense or is it mandatory I do some post-secondary education even though the RCMP says those that do not have a post-secondary education must complete the entrance exam and pass as the only requirement. Does anyone know of any 19/20ish year old RCMP officers?

Thanks for the info and advice!
Enroll in post-secondary. Don't miss that component in your life, you will regret it. Municipal services are only hiring people with post-secondary education. The standard is rising and there are thousands of young men and women with post-secondary education looking into Law Enforcement. If you want to apply, go ahead and apply. It will take a minimum of one year. Focus on your education, improve your marks and enroll in something you are interested in. I would not consider tossing all your eggs into RCMP. You might make it through and get posted to Nunavut to guard polar bears up there.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Ont. RCMP Recruiter
Rookie Member

Postby Ont. RCMP Recruiter » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi All,

You can apply to the RCMP when you are 18 and go to Depot for training, but you will have to turn 19 before you graduate. So, yes can you apply directly after high school. We look at an applicant individually and that includes their maturity level, life experience etc. There are 18-19 year old's who have more maturity and life experience then people in their 20's and even 30's so it really depends on you. I did not have any 19 year old's in my troop but some of my coworkers have. I tell applicants at whatever age, to ask themselves honestly if they are ready to carry and potentially use a firearm in defence of themselves or a member of the public, and if the answer is yes then apply. You really lose nothing but applying and if nothing else the process is a maturity building exercise.

Post-secondary education is always beneficial both looking good on a resume, building your maturity/life experience and also as a backup plan, should you not get hired in the first instance.

Imran

VanSmack
Rookie Member

Postby VanSmack » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 am
. You might make it through and get posted to Nunavut to guard polar bears up there.
First, if you aren’t a Moderator or a recruiter you shouldn’t be responding to questions in here.

Second, as someone who spent a significant number of years policing in Nunavut as well as three other divisions, the above quoted line is not only ignorant and insulting, but is completely out to lunch. Some of the busiest and best places to learn the job are places in Nunavut, and to make it sound like going to Nunavut is something hokey like guarding polar bears (something I’ve never heard of an RCMP officer in Nunavut ever actually have to do) or is somehow less desirable than somewhere else is flat out wrong. I know way more people who worked in the Arctic, left to wherever it was that they thought was their dream posting close to their hometown or whatever, only to realize they missed more about working in the north than they believed they gained when they transferred out.
Don't call it a comeback...