GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Galadriel0718 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:49 pm

bordurrr wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:26 pm
Galadriel0718 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:51 pm
bordurrr wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Awesome, thank you for this information. I train hard as a cyclist/lift weights etc...what are the gym hours like? How is the food?
Gym you can go to anytime - it is small though, most people went before class - after classes, you'll have PT (physical training) 3x a week for an hour, varying between strength, cardio and HIIT. The food is..... :ponder: questionable at best - just don't rely on it, stock up on snacks and protein foods you can have before PT and during classes. Bring along whatever supplements you want as well, I ended up ordering some while in Rigaud.
Very helpful, thank you...so as far as additional fitness testing goes, there are no more required standards to meet?
Correct - as long as you're relatively in shape, you're solid. Even if you're not though, PT will help you to get into peak shape. Cardio is not my friend but I survived.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

Kobi1
Rookie Member

Postby Kobi1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:37 am

kittycat1024 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:34 pm
Just did my PARE, 4:52” :( it’s not easy! ! :roll:
I failed the first time I did it. Gassed out on the run and struggled with the push/pull. I ended up taking over 5 minutes. Went to the gym and worked on cardio and a little upper body/ core strength and went pack 2 months later and finished in 4:05. I think regular cardio was what made the difference. By the time I had finished the 6 laps in the first one I had made good time but was spent. On the second one after the run I was good to go.
Applied: June 17
OTEE: January 18 - PASS
Interview: October 18 - PASS
Psych Evaluation: November 18 - PASS
Security papers: Sent February 19
PARE: March 19- PASS
Medical Evaluation: April 19 - PASS
Security Clearance: September 19 - PASS
Med redo: Apr 20

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:00 pm

A North wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 pm

What do you want to know exactly?
Specifically how long it took for the bridging to happen. What was the length of time that it took to get an offer to go to Rigaud? Was there any additional steps you had to take in order to bridge? Thanks.
I know that SBSOs don't have the same recruitment process as normal BSOs do. The OTEE should carry over I would think, but you might need to do another interview. You'll definitely need to do the psych which includes two exams and a face to face with a psychologist "scheduled close together".

It wouldn't surprise me if you need to redo security as it would make sense SBSOs get a lower level clearance or less intensive clearance. PARE and CAT-III Medical would probably need to be redone due to expiration.

You'll also need to make sure you have your full unrestricted driver's licence for your province of residence BEFORE applying and then get your CFSC and CRFSC before going to Rigaud.

I don't know exactly how the bridging process works but if I'm not mistaken you just apply to the process like anyone else except you'll get to skip a couple steps.
Mostly correct, but with a few alterations.

SBSOs do not go through a different process, just a Theoretically faster one. You can apply once you've done one full term as a SBSO and you don't have to wait for a poster on Jobs.gc.ca to apply. If you do apply on that one and indicate you have SBSO experience you will be placed on the "accelerated track".

So why do I keep quoting the "accelerated Process"? Because I applied a year ago and I'm still waiting for my security clearance. Yes, the exact same one that I had as a SBSO. Enhanced Secret. Why do I have to redo my security clearance for the exact same agency at the same level? I don't know. Can I complain about it, sure but who would listen. I would venture a guess that you've made it through one summer and one fall, and are now in the thick of charter season. I would recommend talking to your supt or chief and discussing your want to bridge so they can give you the paperwork. Have you done your 3 SBSO competencies for assessment purposes? Great! Now do 5 more. This is to replace the interview to explain what you have done on the job that qualifies you as experienced enough to go to Rigaud and become a full BSO. Supt and Chief have to approve and recommend it, so I hope you've been a good worker :twisted: :twisted:

All jokes aside, I would do it if you're thinking about it, but if you don't have competencies then you're going to be hooped.

So far I submitted my competencies which were approved by my Supt and Chief, then again by a reviewing body in Ottawa. Then I went for my Psych. Now I'm at the Security clearance. It has been 5 Months here. I'm waiting to do my medical and PARE for two reasons, 1 they haven't given me any paperwork. 2 I know first hand how long this stuff takes, and I'm not wasting my money just to do them and have them expire. I know a few students that have gone before me and have not been successful in bridging, so good luck, but know that it's not easier, just "shorter".

Also you still have no guarantee at where you end up, so I hope you like all of Canada!
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 - 2020/05/04 (On hold for COVID)

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:11 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:00 pm
A North wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm
thomasr15 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Specifically how long it took for the bridging to happen. What was the length of time that it took to get an offer to go to Rigaud? Was there any additional steps you had to take in order to bridge? Thanks.
I know that SBSOs don't have the same recruitment process as normal BSOs do. The OTEE should carry over I would think, but you might need to do another interview. You'll definitely need to do the psych which includes two exams and a face to face with a psychologist "scheduled close together".

It wouldn't surprise me if you need to redo security as it would make sense SBSOs get a lower level clearance or less intensive clearance. PARE and CAT-III Medical would probably need to be redone due to expiration.

You'll also need to make sure you have your full unrestricted driver's licence for your province of residence BEFORE applying and then get your CFSC and CRFSC before going to Rigaud.

I don't know exactly how the bridging process works but if I'm not mistaken you just apply to the process like anyone else except you'll get to skip a couple steps.
Mostly correct, but with a few alterations.

SBSOs do not go through a different process, just a Theoretically faster one. You can apply once you've done one full term as a SBSO and you don't have to wait for a poster on Jobs.gc.ca to apply. If you do apply on that one and indicate you have SBSO experience you will be placed on the "accelerated track".

So why do I keep quoting the "accelerated Process"? Because I applied a year ago and I'm still waiting for my security clearance. Yes, the exact same one that I had as a SBSO. Enhanced Secret. Why do I have to redo my security clearance for the exact same agency at the same level? I don't know. Can I complain about it, sure but who would listen. I would venture a guess that you've made it through one summer and one fall, and are now in the thick of charter season. I would recommend talking to your supt or chief and discussing your want to bridge so they can give you the paperwork. Have you done your 3 SBSO competencies for assessment purposes? Great! Now do 5 more. This is to replace the interview to explain what you have done on the job that qualifies you as experienced enough to go to Rigaud and become a full BSO. Supt and Chief have to approve and recommend it, so I hope you've been a good worker :twisted: :twisted:

All jokes aside, I would do it if you're thinking about it, but if you don't have competencies then you're going to be hooped.

So far I submitted my competencies which were approved by my Supt and Chief, then again by a reviewing body in Ottawa. Then I went for my Psych. Now I'm at the Security clearance. It has been 5 Months here. I'm waiting to do my medical and PARE for two reasons, 1 they haven't given me any paperwork. 2 I know first hand how long this stuff takes, and I'm not wasting my money just to do them and have them expire. I know a few students that have gone before me and have not been successful in bridging, so good luck, but know that it's not easier, just "shorter".

Also you still have no guarantee at where you end up, so I hope you like all of Canada!
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I have my competencies written out so I will put them in soon. I have 1.5 years left in school so it looks like I should put them in now since it might take longer than a year like they suggest.

Again, I appreciate the feedback!
SBSO PRA 05/2019 - Present

Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Postby Galadriel0718 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:16 pm

treeego wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:07 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:56 pm
bordurrr wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm
Does anybody know what the fitness component of Rigaud is like? Is there additional fitness testing?
You'll do classes twice a week. They start off with assessments. Pare, plank, push ups, etc. to see where your baseline is.

To be quite honest, most people with any fitness experience tend to take their classes lightly because for anyone with a lot of experience in the gym, they don't find them effective classes. They seem to be more geared towards people with lower levels of fitness. That's one aspect I wouldn't worry about. The most fitness intensive part of your course is the CDT portion on the mats. 8 hours of that in a day will take the wind out of your sails pretty quickly.
What exactly is CDT? I've heard people mention it a few times but nothing more than it just being extremely tiring and exhausting
CDT is control and defensive tactics - so use of force training which includes your takedowns and defensive material with your weapons on the mats. It's not that bad physically if you're semi-athletic, you're also required to recertify in it every 3 years.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

raasan
Rookie Member

Postby raasan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi,

First time poster. I had a question regarding the bilingual position. I noticed some saying that it may not be worth it due to troubles getting a transfer down the road. I was wondering what the benefits of being a bilingual officer would be?
Applied: September 18
OTEE: October 18
Interview: December 18
Psych Evaluation: January 19
Medical Evaluation: April 19
Security papers: May 19
Security Clearance: October 19
PARE: Feb 20
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:57 pm

raasan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi,

First time poster. I had a question regarding the bilingual position. I noticed some saying that it may not be worth it due to troubles getting a transfer down the road. I was wondering what the benefits of being a bilingual officer would be?
$800 annually and lots of heavily requested OT.

Might be able to get a better port... MIGHT
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 - 2020/05/04 (On hold for COVID)

Chicken111
Rookie Member

Postby Chicken111 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:12 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:57 pm
raasan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi,

$800 annually and lots of heavily requested OT.

Might be able to get a better port... MIGHT
Thanks for the info, it's giving me a boost of motivation as I really like OT. I was afraid of being stuck to a regular schedule and not having possibilities to work extra hours (single, no kids, workaholic)
CBSA Mtl applicant
Applied Sept.18 ✅
OTEE: Oct.18 ✅
Interview Mar.19 ✅
MMPI: Sept.19 ✅
Psych Interview: Oct.19 ✅
Sec.Docs. Oct19/Dec19 (2x)
PARE: Feb.20 ✅
Int. Interview: May 20
Sec clearance: June 20 ✅
SLE:
CatIII med:
OITP:

A North

Postby A North » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:32 pm

I just got bounced from my application process for not having a full G licence, which was NEVER a requirement when I applied, even though they're claiming it always was! They told me to apply to the next posting but there hasn't been a posting in a year if not more and I've already been waiting almost a year for an interview with zero communication from them...am I going to be waiting ANOTHER year after whatever supposed process opens up? Has this happened to anybody else here?

For the record I also literally passed my G road test today but they wouldn't hear it at all.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm

A North wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:32 pm
I just got bounced from my application process for not having a full G licence, which was NEVER a requirement when I applied, even though they're claiming it always was! They told me to apply to the next posting but there hasn't been a posting in a year if not more and I've already been waiting almost a year for an interview with zero communication from them...am I going to be waiting ANOTHER year after whatever supposed process opens up? Has this happened to anybody else here?

For the record I also literally passed my G road test today but they wouldn't hear it at all.
Sounds like federal government shenanigans. Sorry to hear that, I guess you need your license to drive those airport carts.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

hashimshah
Rookie Member

Postby hashimshah » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Given my timeline, does anyone know when I should roughly expect the OITP and call to Rigaud?

Do you suggest I do the gun course now or when I get the call?
OTEE: Oct 2018
Interview: May 2019
Psyc Test & int: Jul 2019 & Aug 2019, resp
Sec Cl Sub: Sep 2019
Med: Oct 2019
PARE: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Interview: Dec 2019
Secret Clearance Granted: Jan 2020
CRFC: Pending
OITP: Pending
Rigaud: Pending

IronWolf
Veteran Member

Postby IronWolf » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:49 pm

hashimshah wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:33 pm
Given my timeline, does anyone know when I should roughly expect the OITP and call to Rigaud?

If you are waiting for an invite without CFSC and CRFSC courses done and tests passed, you may wait for a while. I believe passing these is a condition to get an invite.

A North

Postby A North » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:02 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:49 pm
hashimshah wrote:

If you are waiting for an invite without CFSC and CRFSC courses done and tests passed, you may wait for a while. I believe passing these is a condition to get an invite.
I believe so, in addition to (now) requiring a full G licence or equivalent.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:59 am

A North wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:02 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:49 pm
hashimshah wrote:

I believe so, in addition to (now) requiring a full G licence or equivalent.
All pre-requisites should be done prior to your integrity interview. If you don't, and get the go for your security clearance everything will be put on hold until all pre-requisites are done. It really slows everything if you don't.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

Hannay08
Rookie Member

Postby Hannay08 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 am

Zedlinka wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:22 am
diyanich wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:13 pm
Hi,

Good question.
Hannay08 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 am
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has any idea how difficult it is to get posted in Atlantic Canada? I’m from New Brunswick and there doesn’t seem to be many recruits from this area on the forum, I’m hoping to get an idea if many seats are available in NS, NB or pei..
Also if hoping for a job in New Brunswick (one day) is it mandatory to be bilingual or are there also English essential in NB as well!
You'll be told from day one that you're not getting back to Atlantic Canada. There were a few lucky ones, myself included, who managed to get back, but the chances are extremely low. Granted; there are a lot of older members in this region and I'm suspecting a mass exodus eventually by way of retirement. So if you're early on in the process, there may be hope. But at the current time, I wouldn't bank on it. I assumed I'd be going out west and this post sort of fell into my lap.

It is not mandatory to be Bilingual here, thank god, because I'm the most Anglo of anglophones.
There are a lot of recruits from the Atlantic regions, but you're right, there aren't many on this forum and I'm not sure why. There were about 8-10 in my wave in Rigaud from Atlantic. Which is a pretty good number considering there's about 70 recruits per wave.

PEI won't have any seats. NFLD seats are pretty limited as well. Your best chance of any is New Brunswick because of the land borders. There's so many between big ports and small ones that your chances are OK of at least Woodstock or St. Stephen being on the list.

Halifax/NS is a no-go. I saw someone get the Airport and another get Marine right out of Rigaud this past year, which shocked and angered a LOT of people who had pending transfer requests in for NS. There's an 8ish year waitlist to get to NS because apparently we east-coasters just want to go home.

If you have any other questions about the region I'd be happy to answer.
Wow thanks so much for the response! I am hoping for New Brunswick, but I do realize I may end up else where. Hoping that I am able to get lucky like you did. I did hear that there is a shortage of BSO’s in New Brunswick, so if i am posted somewhere else maybe a transfer In a couple of years won’t be impossible. I am quite far along in the process, just waiting on my integrity interview.
Applied: December 2018
OTEE: February 2019 - Passed
CRFSC: March 2019 - Passed
Interview: June 2019 - Passed
Psych: Nov 2019 - Passed
Background started - Jan 2020
Security Interview- n/a
Medical- Scheduled Feb 24th 2020
Pare- N/a
Online- N/a
Rigaud- N/a