Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Re: Just joined wanting to apply

Postby Kharlvp » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:56 pm
Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:18 am
Hey guys, I’m new here and I only joined to read the CBSA related subjects. I’m going to applying this Feb when they start the new hiring process. I can’t wait but I’m scared. I’ve been wanting this job since I was 11, ever since I arrived to Canada. I just need pointers. What am I expecting in the entrance exam and how can I study for it? What is expected in the interview? How long will the process take? What other tests do I need to do and how do I pass them?
Kharlvp, curious minds would like to know, how are you aware that a new hiring process will begin this February?
I spoke to an Superintendent last year when they were hiring and he said next year around January or February. I met the superintendent at networking day at my college I have his personal email.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:18 am
Hey guys, I’m new here and I only joined to read the CBSA related subjects. I’m going to applying this Feb when they start the new hiring process. I can’t wait but I’m scared. I’ve been wanting this job since I was 11, ever since I arrived to Canada. I just need pointers. What am I expecting in the entrance exam and how can I study for it? What is expected in the interview? How long will the process take? What other tests do I need to do and how do I pass them?
Kharlvp, curious minds would like to know, how are you aware that a new hiring process will begin this February?
I spoke to an Superintendent last year when they were hiring and he said next year around January or February. I met the superintendent at networking day at my college I have his personal email.
Now here’s something that you don’t hear everyday! Thanks for the info fellow future applicant, good luck throughout the process! 🙂

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:52 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:35 pm
Kharlvp wrote:
neonlights97 wrote:

Now here’s something that you don’t hear everyday! Thanks for the info fellow future applicant, good luck throughout the process! 🙂
Good luck mate!

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:08 am

Kharlvp wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:52 pm
neonlights97 wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:

Good luck mate!
Is this a superintendent that is with the recruiting division, or was it just a Supt from a port doing a recruiting event. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and while they may have an idea of when the next one MIGHT be, I guarantee you they wouldn't have this kind of insight a year out with 100% certainty. More than likely, they gave you their best approximation of when it would be based on trends they've seen. I'm not saying it's wrong or that it won't be Feb. Just don't get your hopes up until they actually post something. From what I have seen, they usually do late Jan-Early Feb because it's the last quarter of the Government's Fiscal year which allows them to get a pool of applicants and see what their budget for new fiscal will allow for hiring.

^^ My two cents as a fed.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 - 2020/05/04 (On hold for COVID)

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 am

cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:08 am
Kharlvp wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:52 pm
neonlights97 wrote:

Good luck mate!
Is this a superintendent that is with the recruiting division, or was it just a Supt from a port doing a recruiting event. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and while they may have an idea of when the next one MIGHT be, I guarantee you they wouldn't have this kind of insight a year out with 100% certainty. More than likely, they gave you their best approximation of when it would be based on trends they've seen. I'm not saying it's wrong or that it won't be Feb. Just don't get your hopes up until they actually post something. From what I have seen, they usually do late Jan-Early Feb because it's the last quarter of the Government's Fiscal year which allows them to get a pool of applicants and see what their budget for new fiscal will allow for hiring.

^^ My two cents as a fed.
With so many recruitment events going on from Coast to Coast, it's hard to believe that they won't be listing a job posting sooner rather than later...

We just need to learn to take things as they come and with a grain of salt; eventually, it will open up.

Highland2012

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Highland2012 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Hey guys,

This seems like a really dumb question but does the CBSA actually do border patrol along the border? or does the CBSA just do POE's and inland stuff? I was browsing job listings and saw that a Border Services Officer and a Border Patrol Officer were paid differently.I never seem to see CBSA vehicles along the border either which I drive along side of regularly to avoid highway traffic. I do see lots of US Border Patrol, but never once seen a CBSA Vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
RCMP
July19 Re-Inserted
July19 Psy- Done
Aug19 Med Exam- Pass
Oct19 Psy Int- Pass
Nov19 Med Clearance- pass
Nov19 SC submitted
Dec19 SP submitted
Feb20 Phone Int- pass
Feb20 Rit Int- pass
Mar 20 Poly- pass
May 20 BG- pass
SC in process
Troop:TBD

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

New info about recruiting process!

Postby Kharlvp » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 am

Hello friends,

Just to answer someone’s question and an update on the news the superintendent told me. The superintendent I speak to is in charge of a southern section in Alberta. So I did email him again about a week ago about when the hiring process was. He was told by a superintendent from the recruiting team that the process could be in April now. He told me this is the most recent news his gotten from the recruiting team. He recommends to just keep checking the website or set up an alert on the GC jobs website. This is the best I can do for you guys I’ll keep in touch with my superintendent for you boys!

neonlights97

Re: New info about recruiting process!

Postby neonlights97 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 am
Hello friends,

Just to answer someone’s question and an update on the news the superintendent told me. The superintendent I speak to is in charge of a southern section in Alberta. So I did email him again about a week ago about when the hiring process was. He was told by a superintendent from the recruiting team that the process could be in April now. He told me this is the most recent news his gotten from the recruiting team. He recommends to just keep checking the website or set up an alert on the GC jobs website. This is the best I can do for you guys I’ll keep in touch with my superintendent for you boys!
April would make sense... after all the recruitment events have taken place.

Ulcaster555

Postby Ulcaster555 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm
Hey guys,

This seems like a really dumb question but does the CBSA actually do border patrol along the border? or does the CBSA just do POE's and inland stuff? I was browsing job listings and saw that a Border Services Officer and a Border Patrol Officer were paid differently.I never seem to see CBSA vehicles along the border either which I drive along side of regularly to avoid highway traffic. I do see lots of US Border Patrol, but never once seen a CBSA Vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
At this time the CBSA does not have Border Patrol, that job is for the RCMP. The union is pushing for a proper Border Patrol, don't expect it anytime soon.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

Ulcaster555

Re: New info about recruiting process!

Postby Ulcaster555 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:35 pm

neonlights97 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Kharlvp wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 am
Hello friends,

April would make sense... after all the recruitment events have taken place.
I would even say maybe after April, its all a question of Budgets. Budgets are usually approved around mid-April, and by the time it goes down it could be in May, all depending on the department.
CBSA/ASFC

Here to correct false and/or inaccurate information.
Ici pour corriger les informations fausses et/ou inexactes.

I do not speak on behalf of the CBSA.
Je ne parle pas au nom de l'ASFC.

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Highland2012 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
You most likely got this information from a article that was posted recently right? The one about Border Patrol Officers making $99,000 and being fine gentlemen or whatever. Forget everything you learned from that article.

neggo
Rookie Member

Postby neggo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 am

Forgive me for my ignorance, but does the CBSA, during the application process, ask about other law enforcement applications that an applicant has active? Does getting a deferral in the RCMP, for example, have any bearing on the CBSA application process?

hsinom

Postby hsinom » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 am

neggo wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 am
Forgive me for my ignorance, but does the CBSA, during the application process, ask about other law enforcement applications that an applicant has active? Does getting a deferral in the RCMP, for example, have any bearing on the CBSA application process?
It does and doesn’t in my experience. But I’d suggest apply and let them decide.
CBSA BC
Applied- Aug 2017
Inventory/Request for Docs- Dec 2017
Interview- Sept 2018
Security Sent- Sept 2018
Psych - Oct 2018
Medical - Feb 2019/Mar 2020 Renewal
Pare- April 2019
Security Interview - May 2019
Security Clearance- Dec 2019
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:12 am

Does anyone know if the entrance exam is taken in a classroom or online at your home now? As well as what are the questions like? Does it include math because I can’t even do basic numbers I have a little bit of learning issue with math lol

neggo
Rookie Member

Postby neggo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:13 am

hsinom wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 am
[quote=neggo post_id=845243 time=<a href="tel:1580365511">1580365511</a> user_id=38932]
It does and doesn’t in my experience. But I’d suggest apply and let them decide.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. So to confirm if I am understanding this correctly, they may or may not ask about whether or not an applicant has applied to different law enforcement agencies?