Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jumb34t

Re: Just joined wanting to apply

Postby Jumb34t » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:30 am

Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 am
Jumb34t wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:42 am
JEagle10 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:09 am

No reason to be scared. I’d read this link and familiarize yourself with the process - https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/ ... g.html#_s2

The entrance exam in my opinion was easy, but I took some practice tests before I took the real thing, just google OTEE practice exams / questions.

I can’t speak on the interview much but make sure you understand the 6 competencies listed in that link above and you’ll be fine.

Process could take anywhere from 1 year (or less) to 2-3 years all depends on the person.
Just wanted to add the fact that nowhere during the whole process requires you to have prior security/sbso experience or knowledge. Everything is either common sense or just something you understand through life experience. And maybe a tiny bit of math for the OTEE, lol.
I’m doing security right now and I studied Criminal Justice in school will that help in the Exam? Is it taken at home? Is there math questions in the entrance exam? Cause I suck at math lol
That's going to give you a better understanding to some of the questions for sure. I'd say the math involved were probably high school level math so they're not bad. The test can be done anywhere, just make sure you have a really good internet that won't disconnect on you.
CBSA Applicant - GTA
Applied: Sep/18
OTEE: Oct/18 77.5%
Interview: Apr/19
PARE: Aug/19
Psych Eval: Oct/19
Psych Interview: Nov/19
Sec Doc sent: Jan/20
CFSC & CRFSC: Mar/20
Med Eval: May/20
Sec Interview & Clearance: July/20
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 am

Jumb34t wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:30 am
Kharlvp wrote:
Jumb34t wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:42 am

Just wanted to add the fact that nowhere during the whole process requires you to have prior security/sbso experience or knowledge. Everything is either common sense or just something you understand through life experience. And maybe a tiny bit of math for the OTEE, lol.
I’m doing security right now and I studied Criminal Justice in school will that help in the Exam? Is it taken at home? Is there math questions in the entrance exam? Cause I suck at math lol
That's going to give you a better understanding to some of the questions for sure. I'd say the math involved were probably high school level math so they're not bad. The test can be done anywhere, just make sure you have a really good internet that won't disconnect on you.
Thanks guys I really appreciate it, this gave me a lot more confidence for the hiring process. Thanks again and good luck to everyone else and maybe see you on the road! :D

A North

Postby A North » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 am
Jumb34t wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, this gave me a lot more confidence for the hiring process. Thanks again and good luck to everyone else and maybe see you on the road! :D
Another thing to consider is having a solid grasp of each of the main OTEE competencies as 60% on each section is needed to pass.

If you haven't applied yet then you may be in better timelines as some of us as there supposedly is a bunch of process and PoE selection reform going on.
CBSA
CFSC/CRFSC: 04/16; Sent 01/20
GCT2/WCPT: Exempt (Police Foundations 06/17)
Applied: 12/18
Contacted: 02/19
OTEE: 03/19
G Licence: 02/20

Interview: Postponed (CoVid-19)
PARE: TBD
Psych: TBD
Medical: TBD
Security: TBD
Online: TBD

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:42 pm

A North wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm
Kharlvp wrote:
Jumb34t wrote:

Did you apply last December?
Another thing to consider is having a solid grasp of each of the main OTEE competencies as 60% on each section is needed to pass.

If you haven't applied yet then you may be in better timelines as some of us as there supposedly is a bunch of process and PoE selection reform going on.

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:51 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:42 pm
A North wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:

Did you apply last December?

Did you apply Dec 2019? What’s PoE?

A North

Postby A North » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:51 pm
Kharlvp wrote:
A North wrote:

PoE refers to Point of Entry, which is any place frontline Border Services trainees work at, so airports, marine ports, train stations and land border crossings, as well as postal facilities. With CBSA you have only one force posting to a PoE after you graduate from Rigaud, whereas RCMP/military will oftentimes make you move every few years. IIRC the current system for selecting what PoE you go to is a double blind lottery taking place in Week 10 where recruits pick their PoE in the order they were selected for the region they selected. However this is a hard process for many as you only have 14 days from graduation to get moved out to your PoE, regardless of whether or not you have a family and how far you need to travel. The rumour is that new applicant waves such as yours could be subject to a new selection process where your PoE is given to you BEFORE you even head to Rigaud, though I have no clue how they'll dole out the ports.

I applied in December 2018 and still am waiting on an interview invite, sadly.
CBSA

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:54 pm

A North wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:43 pm
Kharlvp wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:
PoE refers to Point of Entry, which is any place frontline Border Services trainees work at, so airports, marine ports, train stations and land border crossings, as well as postal facilities. With CBSA you have only one force posting to a PoE after you graduate from Rigaud, whereas RCMP/military will oftentimes make you move every few years. IIRC the current system for selecting what PoE you go to is a double blind lottery taking place in Week 10 where recruits pick their PoE in the order they were selected for the region they selected. However this is a hard process for many as you only have 14 days from graduation to get moved out to your PoE, regardless of whether or not you have a family and how far you need to travel. The rumour is that new applicant waves such as yours could be subject to a new selection process where your PoE is given to you BEFORE you even head to Rigaud, though I have no clue how they'll dole out the ports.

Jesus man it’s been a long time. But I guess that’s all part of it. How did you get exempted from taking the WCPT?

A North

Postby A North » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:22 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:54 pm
A North wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:

Jesus man it’s been a long time. But I guess that’s all part of it. How did you get exempted from taking the WCPT?
Applicants with Police Foundations diplomas such as myself are exempt, or at least were when I first applied, from certain tests within the application process for CBSA, CSC and RCMP.
CBSA

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm

A North wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:22 pm
Kharlvp wrote:
A North wrote:

Applicants with Police Foundations diplomas such as myself are exempt, or at least were when I first applied, from certain tests within the application process for CBSA, CSC and RCMP.
Hmm I’ll check mine

Stone.
Rookie Member

Postby Stone. » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:19 pm

A North wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:
A North wrote:

This is no longer done. Everyone must write the OTEE now.

Kharlvp
Rookie Member

Postby Kharlvp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Stone. wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:19 pm
A North wrote:
Kharlvp wrote:

Yea i know that. But North has done his OTEE and it says we was exempted from the WCPT

A North

Postby A North » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:05 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:53 pm
Stone. wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:19 pm
A North wrote:

Yea i know that. But North has done his OTEE and it says we was exempted from the WCPT
Yup, that is true. I believe that they may have been phasing between the tests back when I applied? I know that the RCMP process has since changed to exempt everyone from what PF grads were exempt from, which frustrated myself and many other people in my graduating class.

One of the only things that truly set you apart and could speed up your application was rendered almost useless.
CBSA

Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Galadriel0718 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Danny95 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:21 pm
Hello guys and gals,

I hope November is going well for all of you.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know where you got posted after training in Rigaud? Did you end up close to home?

Thank you
I was posted 3500 kms away, nowhere near to home. This was due to the double blind lottery method, however, I know Rigaud has flip-flopped with it's Port of Entry (POE) selection process so I'm not sure what the current is. Transfers are HARD in this Agency, possible, but don't expect them to care about your personal circumstances.
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

Galadriel0718
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Galadriel0718 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Borderwatchman wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:56 am
NSMike wrote:Good morning folks,

I had inquired about this before, but I'm gonna try again.

I got my invite for the next OITP. Assuming all goes well, i leave in January and probably finish somewhere towards the end of May if I'm not mistaken.

I'm getting married in August of next year, in my home province of Nova Scotia, which means I'm going to need at least a few days off.
Given that this is so close to the start of my training, does anyone know if this is something I should expect to be granted?

Someone told me that federal employees get a week off for their wedding (I couldn't find it in the CBSA Union contract) so I'm just looking for clarification.

When I asked before, someone said they couldn't see it being rejected, but as the time gets closer I'm getting a little more nervous.

Side note, this wedding has been planned since before I knew I was going anywhere, so it isn't a matter of poor planning, just odd timing.

Thanks all.

Mike-

From the new Collective, just signe, that expired in June! :lol: :lol:

An employee shall be credited a one-time entitlement of thirty-seven decimal five (37.5) hours of vacation leave with pay on the first (1st) day of the month following the employee’s second (2nd) anniversary of service, as defined in clause 34.03.
The vacation leave credits provided in paragraph 34.18(a) above shall be excluded from the application of clause 34.11, dealing with the carry-over and/or liquidation of vacation leave.

From what you've written it would appear that you don't qualify. You also have to work 75hrs/month in order to accrue your vacation leave. In your case it would be 9.375hrs of leave per 75hrs worked. When you do the math (assuming you've worked 3mo) you'll have 3 "days" of vacation. That's three 7.5hr days. I'm going to assume that you're going to be a shift worker. So that won't be much time.

The other option would be for your mgt to allow you to use "Family Related" leave. You get that automatically but it's not meant for marriage leave. It's meant to care for family members. But more than likely they'd turn a blind eye because of your circumstances.
You will have a 37.5 hour "one-time" leave that can be used. You'll also get a variety of other leave allowances, however, I can't remember if you have access to them right away but you'll have 37.5 for FRR (family related responsibility) and sick leave which cannot be denied as well. The one-time leave has to be approved - I can't see them denying it based on the circumstances.. if they do, best of luck with your port....
:drinking:
Former SBSO turned full-time BSO. I've been through it all and happy to share my experiences with others looking to get into CSBA as a temporary or full-time career.

neonlights97

Postby neonlights97 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:56 pm

Kharlvp wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:18 am
Hey guys, I’m new here and I only joined to read the CBSA related subjects. I’m going to applying this Feb when they start the new hiring process. I can’t wait but I’m scared. I’ve been wanting this job since I was 11, ever since I arrived to Canada. I just need pointers. What am I expecting in the entrance exam and how can I study for it? What is expected in the interview? How long will the process take? What other tests do I need to do and how do I pass them?
Kharlvp, curious minds would like to know, how are you aware that a new hiring process will begin this February?