Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:36 pm

Dk94 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:30 pm
I even remember the managers running the sjt were encouraging applicants to seeks training ahead of loading on course. More knowledge isn't a bad thing in any way as long as you can shut up and do how they want it done.

Are you a CSC trained firearms instructor?
Have you ever been on CTP?
Have you ever been on any CSC course?

If you answered no to any of the following above answers. Please stop.

This isn’t a pissing match or anything. I’m letting you know that you are wrong and you do not know what CSC firearm instructors want or need from recruits. You need to stop. And you are not any of the above.
No need to continue this conversation.
CX

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:36 pm
Dk94 wrote:
I even remember the managers running the sjt were encouraging applicants to seeks training ahead of loading on course. More knowledge isn't a bad thing in any way as long as you can shut up and do how they want it done.

This isn’t a pissing match or anything. I’m letting you know that you are wrong and you do not know what CSC firearm instructors want or need from recruits. You need to stop. And you are not any of the above.
It seems like you're trying to make it one though. I don't see why you got so offended by my remarks. I apologize.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Dk94 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:00 pm
noanykey wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:22 am
striker wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:18 pm

do not take any type of firearms training prior to going on ctp. CSC has a specific course of fire, specific IA's and stoppages and the instructors don't have time to undo habits you learned from "training" you took before hand.
If you've never fired a rifle or handgun and want to get that out of the way before you go then go to a range and fire a few rounds down range and leave it at that.

A good chunk of recruits in my core never fired a gun before. They had zero issues on the firing range.
Do not walk in there with the "I know" mentality.
My thing was I get into my own head during tests and I screw up. The firearms instruction is excellent. Save your money.
Didn't you get booted off course for a firearms safety issue?
Sure did!
However, I liked my wording on it.
You're that "I know" guy aren't ya?

Your attitude towards Melanie will get you sent right back home with your PER full of behavioral issues. I was invited back in 2 weeks, the dude with the PER full of negative stuff had to wait a year.
I got released from the program with advice to go immediately back into it. I chose not to as I wanted to explore alternative options (that and the round trip to my institution is 3 hours).
You can take this advice however you want.. And have a wonderful time at CTP3!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Has anyone received an invitation for CTP 2/3 for Feb or Mar?
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

conjuringdreams
Rookie Member

Postby conjuringdreams » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:51 am

Wondering if anyone would be able to help me with something that I have been wondering about lately. One of my roommates used to deal marijuana years ago and hung around people that obviously were not the greatest, but has stopped and hasn't since about 2016, this was before I knew him and he is living a 100% law-abiding life now, working a legit job and staying away from that stuff. I also made it clear to him before I moved in with him that I wish to work in law enforcement one day and that we would not be able to live together if he were to start hanging around with those people again and started to deal again.

I'm wondering if this is something that will hurt me once I get to the security screening phase of the process? Or will it be a non-issue in CSC's eyes since he is no longer doing it? I'm hoping I'm worrying about nothing here

greenpea19
Rookie Member

Postby greenpea19 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 pm

JACX wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:40 pm
I'll be starting CTP 3 Feb 5th. I got in to Warkworth Institution.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:38 pm

greenpea19 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 pm
JACX wrote:
Congrats!
We toured Warkworth in our core. It's really neatly laid out. We also saw the new SHU area. Just walking around with the inmates. It honestly looks like a small city.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

greenpea19
Rookie Member

Postby greenpea19 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 pm

noanykey wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:38 pm
greenpea19 wrote:
JACX wrote:
Congrats!
We toured Warkworth in our core. It's really neatly laid out. We also saw the new SHU area. Just walking around with the inmates. It honestly looks like a small city.
I am honestly so excited. Warkworth is only a twenty minute drive from my cottage, so we are moving the whole family up there. It all worked out nice.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:26 pm

conjuringdreams wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:51 am
Wondering if anyone would be able to help me with something that I have been wondering about lately. One of my roommates used to deal marijuana years ago and hung around people that obviously were not the greatest, but has stopped and hasn't since about 2016, this was before I knew him and he is living a 100% law-abiding life now, working a legit job and staying away from that stuff. I also made it clear to him before I moved in with him that I wish to work in law enforcement one day and that we would not be able to live together if he were to start hanging around with those people again and started to deal again.

I'm wondering if this is something that will hurt me once I get to the security screening phase of the process? Or will it be a non-issue in CSC's eyes since he is no longer doing it? I'm hoping I'm worrying about nothing here
Apply and find out.

There is no one in here who can advise you on this. Every situation is decided on by a case-by-case basis.

Will this affect your security screening process? Of course. Will they be asking a lot of questions about why you chose to roommate with a known drug dealer? You can depend on it. You had better prepare how you are going to best explain what appears to be a serious error in judgement on your part.

After all, how are they going to know FOR CERTAIN that your roommate is not still involved in dealing drugs? In fact, how do YOU know for certain that the person is not still dealing drugs? The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. It will be entirely up to them if they want to take that chance. There is no way to tell until you apply and find out.

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:49 am

greenpea19 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 pm
noanykey wrote:
greenpea19 wrote:

Congrats!
I am honestly so excited. Warkworth is only a twenty minute drive from my cottage, so we are moving the whole family up there. It all worked out nice.

That is so exciting! Congrats. Hope it all goes well. Keep us posted.

My fingers are still crossed for April or even May. Would be ideal.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:19 am

greenpea19 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 pm
noanykey wrote:
greenpea19 wrote:

Congrats!
Congrats, I will graduate from CPT3 in Jan. You will eventually enjoy the training, very supportive trainers, lots of interesting knowledge and job related stories. The best part for you is that by the time you start taking your firearm training (Riffle, Pistol, shot gun and impact munition) test (most likely in Apr), weather would be much warmer, so your hands and finger won't be frozen. I could not feel my fingers when I squeeze the trigger during the firearm accuracy evaluation in Dec (the shooting range is outdoor and you are not allowed to wear gloves when shoot).
Welcome on board :-)
MB Correctional Officer 2014-2018
Ontario Correctional Officer 2018-2019
Federal Correctional officer 2019-present

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:20 am

Is there a SIU unit in PI at Abbotsford? Thanks in advanced for your reply.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Dk94 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:05 pm
Melanie1 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:36 pm
Dk94 wrote:

It seems like you're trying to make it one though. I don't see why you got so offended by my remarks. I apologize.
Hi, DK4,
I am not trying to take side between you and Melanie1, but I have to say Melanie1 is right in this case. I appreciate that you give advise and opinion to help other applicants/recruits, and your military experience is very valuable. But there is a huge difference between CAF's firearm protocol and CSC's. In our class, we have several CSC recruits with many years of military firearm experience, they had to do lots of UNLEARNING to remove their CAF shooting habit from their muscle memory and then they can build their CSC muscle memory.
It would be a good idea to let the CSC applicants learn from their future CSC instructor rather than let them overwhelmed between CAF and CSC training.
Still, I give you credit for trying to help other applicants/recruits, appreciate that.
And good luck to your CSC application. CSC is a good place to work with.

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 pm

Napa123 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:03 pm
JWilson23 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 am
Napa123 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Received an invitation for the 22nd of Jan
I received my invitation for the 22nd of Jan in Kingston as well.
Have you received anything yet in regards to CTP2?
Congrats! I will see you at Kingston. My graduation date is Jan 23, so I can at least say hi to you :-)

ygu31

Postby ygu31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 pm

JWilson23 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 pm
Napa123 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:03 pm
JWilson23 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 am

I received my invitation for the 22nd of Jan in Kingston as well.
Have you received anything yet in regards to CTP2?
I haven’t heard anything yet, I just received my offer this morning so I’m assuming maybe later today or perhaps this week we’ll get something for it.
Hi, Jwilson,
Congrats for your success. I will see you at Kingston, My graduation date is Jan 23, and I can at least say hi and welcome on board to you few days before the graduation. I assume you will indeed start on Jan 21st as your day 0 (orientation, and Jan 22 would be your day 1). It is joyful training and you will enjoy it.
PS, it seems we both work for Ontario Public Service as well :-)