GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
cbsayyyyyy
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby cbsayyyyyy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:44 pm

Hey Guys!

It's my first time posting on here but I was hoping you all could give me some advice!
I completed my interview a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if I should send recruitment an email with my updated resume. A lot has changed since I applied. Does this seem like a good idea or should I just hold back?

Thank you and good luck to everyone at any stage!!!

jwlong
Rookie Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:40 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby jwlong » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 pm

SC_07 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:54 pm
jwlong wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm
Finally got the email. Integrity interview December 10
That's awesome! :) almost there
Thanks. I really hope so.
Applied: August 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018
Interview: Feb 2019
Psy Eval & Interview - April 2019
Med Eval: February 2020
Sec Clearance: Granted Dec 9/19
PARE March 2019:
RPAL: March 2019
OITP:

User avatar
JeanFrancois
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby JeanFrancois » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 am

Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:22 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am


Come on ? Lol

I’m pretty sure you are allowed days off as you are a paid employee

If they do not allow. Go to Doctors and get s sick note
Yeah, no. You're not a paid employee. You get an allowance at training. Only days off you get are weekends, a holiday (if they can make it work in the schedule) or a sick day, in which you are spending it in your room. There's no doctors note. If you require a doctors note for something, it's probably bad enough that you shouldn't be at training.
Wow, I can see you will be management. I would hate to be your partner.
:thumbsup:
CBSA:
Deferral Sept 2019

Zedlinka
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 am

JeanFrancois wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 am
Fonthill wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:22 pm
Zedlinka wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am


Yeah, no. You're not a paid employee. You get an allowance at training. Only days off you get are weekends, a holiday (if they can make it work in the schedule) or a sick day, in which you are spending it in your room. There's no doctors note. If you require a doctors note for something, it's probably bad enough that you shouldn't be at training.
Wow, I can see you will be management. I would hate to be your partner.
:thumbsup:
Super mature.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO


"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Zedlinka
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:26 am

cbsayyyyyy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:44 pm
Hey Guys!

It's my first time posting on here but I was hoping you all could give me some advice!
I completed my interview a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if I should send recruitment an email with my updated resume. A lot has changed since I applied. Does this seem like a good idea or should I just hold back?

Thank you and good luck to everyone at any stage!!!
It doesn't hurt, of course.
I found that you really only need to update your mailing address. That's the only thing that seems to matter. I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again; I changed jobs quite often in my run up to becoming an officer, and I don't think I ever notified them. Not because I was trying to hide anything, I just never thought about it that much.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO


"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Zedlinka
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:41 am

Highland2012 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm
I got a pretty generic e-mail today saying they are still in the process of arranging classes and to keep patient.

Anyone know if the March OITP class spots are filled or when the invite is supposed to go out? Assuming Feb is full already.

Cheers all,

:wave:
I imagine they have people in mind, but invites likely won't come out until probably mid-January if I recall correctly. You won't hear much (if anything) until after the holidays.
That pretty well goes for most of those in the Jan-Feb intakes as well. The ones waiting for January will likely hear more, because they need the information. I believe I got my flight information on boxing day, but I could be wrong. Starting to have trouble remembering this stuff.

But yeah, likely have people in mind, but won't hear anything for a bit for March.
Hope that helps.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO


"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

Newrecruit1983
Rookie Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 5:31 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Newrecruit1983 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am

If I live in the Niagara region am I allowed to drive to Rigaud or is it something they make you fly or train or something because it’s over a certain distance. Just curious thanks in advance

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am

Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am
If I live in the Niagara region am I allowed to drive to Rigaud or is it something they make you fly or train or something because it’s over a certain distance. Just curious thanks in advance
You are free to go there any way you like. Having your car there will be a nice convenience plus for sure.

Most likely you will get paid in some form (gas money) that 2 way trip to Rigaud and back home. I would ask HR for the details.

Zedlinka
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:49 am

IronWolf wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am
Newrecruit1983 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am
If I live in the Niagara region am I allowed to drive to Rigaud or is it something they make you fly or train or something because it’s over a certain distance. Just curious thanks in advance
You are free to go there any way you like. Having your car there will be a nice convenience plus for sure.

Most likely you will get paid in some form (gas money) that 2 way trip to Rigaud and back home. I would ask HR for the details.
Most people flew from Niagra, but they'd end up going back to get their cars because they're very useful in terms of getting out for a weekend.

I believe the cut off for milage is 400km return. I cant be positive on that though as I flew.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO


"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

User avatar
Kevlar
Rookie Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:08 am
Location: PRA
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Kevlar » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm

I plan on driving from Alberta. I dont care about the distance or the cost, having my vehicle there will be great. I havent spent any time out east other than a few weekends in Montreal but I want to go and see things on the weekend. So much history so much scenery so much culture that varies from my home town.

Hopefully they have an April intake if I dont get March but if not whatever. Hurry up and wait. Might be a nice drive rather than mid winter through the great lakes haha.

As for the personal days while on training comments? Wow... Thats all I have to say.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

User avatar
Kevlar
Rookie Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:08 am
Location: PRA
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Kevlar » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Again, I cannot stress that PARE enough. Dont underestimate it. When I did mine, class of 12, more than half failed. Not one female passed. All died on the push pull. All were very petite. Where a heavier person with poor core thrength could just force their way through the push these very lean and very fit ladies could barely push the plunger in and keep it there for one pass. Do Not LeaveYour Pare For The Last Minute. I inadvertantly did because my timeline bumped ahead unexpectedly and there were a number of people there in the same boat. Holy the stress they had after failing and there were no more tests available within a 300km radius before the deadline.

Start preparing when you put your application in, Get it done when you get your request for medical after you complete your psych. This should give you plenty of time to retake if you have to since a) its valid for 18 months and b) you put your security paperwork in at the same time as the medical and that takes on average 4 to 12 months. Best advice I can give.
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

Zedlinka
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Zedlinka » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 pm
I plan on driving from Alberta. I dont care about the distance or the cost, having my vehicle there will be great. I havent spent any time out east other than a few weekends in Montreal but I want to go and see things on the weekend. So much history so much scenery so much culture that varies from my home town.

Hopefully they have an April intake if I dont get March but if not whatever. Hurry up and wait. Might be a nice drive rather than mid winter through the great lakes haha.

As for the personal days while on training comments? Wow... Thats all I have to say.
There were a few from out west who made the drive. Not one of them regretted it. Getting out of Rigaud for a weekend here and there is a necessity. There was an April intake last year and I think they're gonna keep up with them because of short staffing.
The opinions expressed by me do not represent the Canada Border Services Agency or the Government of Canada

BSO


"Take your job seriously, but not yourself"

ConnorBay
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:22 am
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby ConnorBay » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Hey guys new to this thread but I am currently in my second year of a CUSB course and I actually got to go to Rigaud and visit the training center which was a really cool experience and as I know not many people get to visit. Im not sure if im going to pursue customs as a job as I joined the reserves and may go the military route as customs takes so long to get in and I want work right out of school but if anyone wants to kno about Rigaud I can answer best to my abilities.

new2this
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:20 pm
Contact:

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby new2this » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Is the medical request in a separate email? I have not seen anything and submitted my security paperwork a week ago.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby IronWolf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:54 pm

new2this wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:35 pm
Is the medical request in a separate email? I have not seen anything and submitted my security paperwork a week ago.
In some cases takes months, hang on there and wait for that email.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ummarhamid and 6 guests