Toronto Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Re: Toronto Police Service

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 pm

AB_890 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:40 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm
AB_890 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Yea that's what the constable who interviewed me told me too, was just a bummer as most of you guys who've gone through the process know. Thanks man, glad it gets easier after.
I passed it twice, i failed it twice. It's not consistent. Depends whom grades the interview. What day it is. Is it sunny? Etc.

Passed one in 2013, failed one each in 2014/2015 and then passed in 2016. I eventually got hired and not with the service i passed once and failed twice with. Best thing that ever happened to me. I much prefer to work here.
haha this is honestly too accurate based off what I was told by people I met at YRP when I applied there too. That their actual "marking rubric" that they use to decide who passes and who fails and kinda of a joke.
You failed at TPS? where did you end up applying that you like better? You don't have to share that if you're not comfortable releasing that info though.
Gonna take everyones advice and come up with even more examples for each competency.
I never applied to TPS. It was Hamilton that i was successful once and unsuccessful two times with. Now I work with Peel and have been here for 3 years. I love it here.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Slovak4188
Rookie Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm
AB_890 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Yea that's what the constable who interviewed me told me too, was just a bummer as most of you guys who've gone through the process know. Thanks man, glad it gets easier after.
I passed it twice, i failed it twice. It's not consistent. Depends whom grades the interview. What day it is. Is it sunny? Etc.

Passed one in 2013, failed one each in 2014/2015 and then passed in 2016. I eventually got hired and not with the service i passed once and failed twice with. Best thing that ever happened to me. I much prefer to work here.
Very persistent and shows resilience. Thanks for sharing that. I just failed my ATS (just the pati) on my first attempt and it stated that I failed to demonstrate the deductive and quantitative reasoning of the PATI which is like Syllogism/travel time tasks and math/problem.

I'm an economics major and I finished the math portion within 5 minutes. Frankly, I had a big grin on my face cause I was excited at how easy the test was and I was completely dumbfounded that I did not "meet standard". I'm probably gonna slow down next time, extremely embarrassing.

I asked one of the ATS fellas and they said its an overall mark which I find hard to believe.

oh well!
I never failed any of the ATS tests or the re-qualifications once they expired. I was in a similar position as you; graduated with a degree and thought it'd be a breeze. It definitely wasn't challenging; however, it was because I really slowed things down and read each question carefully, sometimes more than once. I find some of the most intelligent applicants either underestimate the test or do NOT read the questions carefully and that is why they fail.

My advice is when you go again, just slow it all down. There is plenty of time to read each question slowly, answer it and even go back over the test all over again at the end to ensure you picked the best answers.

Additionally, my understanding is that it is a cumulative score; however, you must pass each component as well.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

tpark93
Rookie Member

Postby tpark93 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Can anyone tell me how long they waited between the first phase and the second? I have seen people get called in at earliest 3 weeks and latest 2 months. I finished my first phase in the first week of October and am nearing the 2nd month. Just getting a little anxious. Thanks for any help!

TLalor
Rookie Member

Postby TLalor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey all, does anyone know if you get the results of your ECI/LFI interview on the spot? or by email? I’ve received mixed answers.

Highlander83
Rookie Member

Postby Highlander83 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:27 pm

TLalor wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:46 pm
Hey all, does anyone know if you get the results of your ECI/LFI interview on the spot? or by email? I’ve received mixed answers.
Speaking only for myself, I received my results on the spot. They deliberated for a good 15 minutes, before letting me know that I was successful. My background officer reached out to me the same day and started the process.

sinanulukanligil
Rookie Member

Postby sinanulukanligil » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a weird question but please be honest with me.

I applied for Toronto Police cadet in training on July 21 and I haven't got any response yet.
In the information session, they say it takes between 1 to 4 months to get back to your applicaiton. Its been more than 4 months for me and I did not get any response.
I went to the information session again and one of the recruiter recommended me to email and ask for an update. When I emailed and explained my stiuation, I did not get a respond to my email as well. :roll:
What would you do if you were in my position?
I am thinking I am going be one of those people whose application stays active for a year then you need to reapply again.
If you have things that you don't feel comfortable sharing here, please feel free to pm me.

Leo Mtl
Rookie Member

Postby Leo Mtl » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:19 pm

sinanulukanligil wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:44 pm
Hello everyone,

I applied for Toronto Police cadet in training on July 21 and I haven't got any response yet.
In the information session, they say it takes between 1 to 4 months to get back to your applicaiton. Its been more than 4 months for me and I did not get any response.
I went to the information session again and one of the recruiter recommended me to email and ask for an update. When I emailed and explained my stiuation, I did not get a respond to my email as well. :roll:
I am thinking I am going be one of those people whose application stays active for a year then you need to reapply again.
If you have things that you don't feel comfortable sharing here, please feel free to pm me.
You are not alone my friend. I applied on July 16 and did the LFI and PBQ as well. Been told it's a waiting game and it is. Be patient and don't compare yourself to people getting hired very quickly. Spend the time waiting on improving yourself to become more competitive. Your time is precious. I started another application at the same time than TPS and now I'm hired by another organization, not a police service but still a law enforcement position. I'm always seeking new challenges and opportunities so stay positive and try to do the same :)

Good luck and stay positive !

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:24 pm

sinanulukanligil wrote:
Hello everyone,

Make your subject line stand out. They get some many emails.

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:25 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:24 pm
sinanulukanligil wrote:
Hello everyone,

Make your subject line stand out. They get so many emails.

sinanulukanligil
Rookie Member

Postby sinanulukanligil » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:23 am

Leo Mtl wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:19 pm
sinanulukanligil wrote:
Hello everyone,

You are not alone my friend. I applied on July 16 and did the LFI and PBQ as well. Been told it's a waiting game and it is. Be patient and don't compare yourself to people getting hired very quickly. Spend the time waiting on improving yourself to become more competitive. Your time is precious. I started another application at the same time than TPS and now I'm hired by another organization, not a police service but still a law enforcement position. I'm always seeking new challenges and opportunities so stay positive and try to do the same :)

Good luck and stay positive !
Thank you so much for motivational words.

The difference between your application and mine is I haven't even done my PBQ. I just received email that says we received your application right after I submitted and that's it. I assume you probably have application number which means you are active in their system. I will keep emailing them until i get a response.
Good luck everyone

AB_890
Rookie Member

Postby AB_890 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:57 pm

TLalor wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:46 pm
Just as the other member mentioned, you will know right away, that's the beauty of TPS. I struggled in giving a good example for the ECI's first question and as a result after the break I was told on the spot I was unsuccessful in the ECI and would have to come back in 3 months.

While that sucked, it was better than my experience with YRP, they kinda had me keeping my hopes up for nearly 3 months after my interview before I finally contacted them and then being told I didn't make it to next phase.

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:49 am

Morning,

Can anyone share when in the process for TPS references are required?

Thank you

DaveyDavey
Rookie Member

Postby DaveyDavey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:52 pm

Happy new year every one!

Does anyone know about the ATS stop test for police constable application from Jan. 01, 2020?

I paid for PREP renew at Jan. 04, but no more news update and they don't reply from email and no one answer the phone even.

Anyone need to apply to TPS please stop pay to ATS test! Because there website didn't announce this yet! Weird!

The TPS already have new OACP certification requirements. Please check.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Usually when you go to background. So after you pass the meeting with the head shrinker.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

stribor45
Rookie Member

Postby stribor45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:48 pm

devilwoman wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm
Usually when you go to background. So after you pass the meeting with the head shrinker.
Thank you