BC Corrections

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

supaDean
Rookie Member

Re: BC Corrections

Postby supaDean » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Thought I'd strike up this conversation again as this forum has been quiet for a few months. I've applied to OCC (Oliver) and am just starting the recruitment process. I'm also from out of province. Are there any BC CO's online or new applicants? Cheers.

lagoon
Rookie Member

Postby lagoon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am

supaDean wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:44 pm
Thought I'd strike up this conversation again as this forum has been quiet for a few months. I've applied to OCC (Oliver) and am just starting the recruitment process. I'm also from out of province. Are there any BC CO's online or new applicants? Cheers.
I'm a CO in BC! Feel free to PM me. I was also an out of province applicant when I applied.

Sierra1993
Rookie Member

Postby Sierra1993 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:58 pm

I'm a BC Correctional Officer and I work at OCC. If you have any generalized questions I can answer them.
BC Corrections
Correctional Officer

19CrimeBuster68
Rookie Member

Postby 19CrimeBuster68 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 pm

Sierra1993 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:58 pm
I'm a BC Correctional Officer and I work at OCC. If you have any generalized questions I can answer them.
Hello,
I applied about 4 mos ago and failed the REACT
I was wondering if you could give me any advise on how to pass the exam. Thanks

Sierra1993
Rookie Member

Postby Sierra1993 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:55 pm

19CrimeBuster68 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 pm
Sierra1993 wrote:
Hello,
I applied about 4 mos ago and failed the REACT
I was wondering if you could give me any advise on how to pass the exam. Thanks
I've heard a lot of people are having trouble with the REACT. I've done it twice, never had an issue with it in my applications. If I were to take a guess, they are looking for honesty and consistency on it (the big word being consistency) Just keep trying - if you can't pass it after a couple of times the job might not be for you since it's an aptitude test more so than one you can study for.
BC Corrections
Correctional Officer

19CrimeBuster68
Rookie Member

Postby 19CrimeBuster68 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 am

I appreciate the reply. What have you done in preparation of REACT exam?, Is there any book or reading material you could share to prep for the test?

pzez
Rookie Member

Postby pzez » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 am

Sierra1993 wrote:
Hello, I have my computer voice stress analysis test soon, I was wondering is it suggested to wear formal clothing to this like the interview? I'm not sure because it isn't specified in my emails unlike for the interview where it was specified. Also are the people in the room conducting the test different than the PSSO recruiters, in other words have I met them before?

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Always go formal. Suit and Tie is a must for all interviews relating to law enforcement. =] :thumbsup:
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Inserted
July 29th 2019: Psych Test - Written
Aug 20th: Medical Exam - Pass
Oct 22 Psych Interview -

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 pm

They make you take a Voice Stress Test? How much weight do they give to that, or how do they incorporate it into the process considering in general its been shown to detect lies with no better odds than a flip of a coin. Use it to plan questions for a background interview?

Sierra1993
Rookie Member

Postby Sierra1993 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 pm

I wore business-casual during my application process with BC Corrections - honestly for any interview, even if it's a job at Mcdonald's you should be dressed looking professional. You really don't have to worry about the voice stress either - just don't lie and you will be fine. The toughest part of the entire process is the panel, get past that and you are gold. I've done a few of them myself at this point, when you learn how to do the interview properly with the STAR technique and really study the competencies then even the panel is easy.

Good luck in your processes. This can be a challenging career, but it's only getting better as time goes on (grid increases, possible 40 hour work week coming up in the future etc) now is the time to get in.
BC Corrections
Correctional Officer

pzez
Rookie Member

Postby pzez » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Sierra1993 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 pm
I wore business-casual during my application process with BC Corrections - honestly for any interview, even if it's a job at Mcdonald's you should be dressed looking professional. You really don't have to worry about the voice stress either - just don't lie and you will be fine. The toughest part of the entire process is the panel, get past that and you are gold. I've done a few of them myself at this point, when you learn how to do the interview properly with the STAR technique and really study the competencies then even the panel is easy.

Good luck in your processes. This can be a challenging career, but it's only getting better as time goes on (grid increases, possible 40 hour work week coming up in the future etc) now is the time to get in.
I was just wondering because I did my panel interview (the BEI) 4 weeks ago and I thought this might be different. I did the CVSA test 2 weeks ago, it was just one person who owns the software and was contracted out to do the test. For anyone looking at this in the future, I did wear formal interview-attire and I think he might have noted it down.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm excited for the future! I have my medical assessment in 2 weeks, and I gotta get a tuberculosis test done on my own time before that, not too sure what to think about that lol.

Raf13
Rookie Member

Postby Raf13 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Are there options for doing overtime, and how long do you have to wait until you can start taking advantage of that.

Sierra1993
Rookie Member

Postby Sierra1993 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Raf13 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 pm
Are there options for doing overtime, and how long do you have to wait until you can start taking advantage of that.
Depends purely on the centre you are working at. Some offer OT everyday and have 10+ Staff on OT consistently - others are well staffed and rarely offer OT. You can take advantage of OT right after you graduate and if you are offered it. It goes based off of hours - staff with the lowest amount of hours OT worked are the ones who get offered it first.
BC Corrections
Correctional Officer

Raf13
Rookie Member

Postby Raf13 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Ok yea that's kinda what I gathered. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: