Ask A BC Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

RarisandRovas

Re: Ask A BC Sheriff

Postby RarisandRovas » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 am

Anyone hear anything back for the June class yet? Interview wise?

Did my interview last week..was a rough one haha. Not too sure how it went.
BC Applicant
App: 04/19
SP: 04/19

HWDPELO
Rookie Member

Postby HWDPELO » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:56 pm

You can always call their office and ask about your progress. I would call about once after every step I took when 2 weeks passed since hearing anything. A week isnt long, unless you were one of the last interviews. Give them a ring on monday.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:14 am

HWDPELO wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:56 pm
You can always call their office and ask about your progress. I would call about once after every step I took when 2 weeks passed since hearing anything. A week isnt long, unless you were one of the last interviews. Give them a ring on monday.
I'll be straight up. The longer you wait, the less likely you'll be. They made me wait 5 months before giving me the no. I was on them quite a lot as well, every 3 weeks, I'd send an email or call.
But I also completely failed on my STAR, I went in with confidence but did not practice that method of interview responses.
Practiced it well and good for CSC and now I am on CTP1 so it works!
(Also not a SAR member when I applied to BCSS, so may have something to do with it too :P)
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

Rookie Member

Postby 198747 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:20 pm

RarisandRovas wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 am
Anyone hear anything back for the June class yet? Interview wise?

Did my interview last week..was a rough one haha. Not too sure how it went.
Be patient. My interview for the June class isn't until April 3rd.
:thumbsup:

ctrl
Rookie Member

Postby ctrl » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Any current BC Sheriff able to share information or updates on 40 hours work week?
I've heard rumours months ago that it was being discussed but now it seems sheriff and BC COs will be staying at 35 hours?

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Still waiting on more info for the 40 hours

trd604
Rookie Member

Postby trd604 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:24 am

https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com ... view/58909

Job Details

DEP SH 18R - Deputy Sheriff - (58909)

Posting Title

DEP SH 18R - Deputy Sheriff

Position Classification

Deputy Sheriff R18

Union

GEU

Abbotsford, BC V5T 5E3 CA
Campbell River, BC V9W 6Y7 CA
Chilliwack, BC V4Z 1A7 CA
Colwood, BC V9B 1H8 CA
Courtenay, BC V9N1H3 CA
Cranbrook, BC V9C 7B1 CA
Dawson Creek, BC V1G2E2 CA
Duncan, BC V9Z 6L3 CA
Fort St John, BC V1J6M7 CA
Kamloops, BC V2H 1B7 CA
Kelowna, BC V1Z 2S9 CA
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Nanaimo, BC V9T6L8 CA
Nelson, BC V1L5S4 CA
New Westminster, BC V3M6G2 CA
North Vancouver, BC V7P 3M7 CA
Oliver, BC V0H 1T0 CA
Penticton, BC V2V5A6 CA
Port Alberni, BC V9Y 8Y9 CA
Port Coquitlam, BC V3C 4W6 CA
Powell River, BC V8A 5G7 CA
Prince George, BC V3L4J8 CA
Prince Rupert, BC V8J 4M8 CA
Quesnel, BC V2J5Z1 CA
Richmond, BC V7E 5T2 CA
Salmon Arm, BC V2E4S4 CA
Sechelt, BC V0N3A0 CA
Smithers, BC V0J2N0 CA
Surrey, BC V5V 3K4 CA
Terrace, BC V8J4E1 CA
Vancouver, BC V8W 2S8 CA
Vernon, BC V1T9G9 CA
Victoria, BC V9B6X2 CA
Williams Lake, BC V2G1R8 CA

Salary Range

Salary Effective April 14, 2019: $53,856.66 - $61,096.97annually, plus a Temporary Market Adjustment ($42,059.60 annually for new recruits attending the fourteen-week Sheriff Recruit Training Program)

Close Date

4/28/2019

Job Type

Regular Full Time

Ministry/Organization

BC Public Service -> Attorney General

Ministry Branch / Division

BC Sheriff Services

Job Summary

Deputy Sheriff
Deputy Sheriff R18

This posting will be used to fill FULL-TIME positions as they arise in provincial court locations across the province. An eligibility list may be established.

Applications are now being accepted for the October 2019 Sheriff Recruit Training (SRT) class

Applicants interested in the Deputy Sheriff position go through an intense assessment process requiring a commitment to gathering documentation and submitting copies within specific timeframes. You may want to prepare in advance, by registering early for tests, courses, and/or permits to avoid disappointment and missing deadlines. We regret we cannot accommodate extensions to our deadlines.

Overview : What is a Deputy Sheriff

Deputy Sheriffs provide security services to the Provincial, Supreme and Appeal Courts of British Columbia (43 court locations). As a Deputy Sheriff, you are a provincial peace officer and will work closely with different partners in the Justice System to ensure all levels of courts in the province are operating smoothly and safely. You will coordinate appearances, enforce court orders, execute arrest warrants, are involved in jury selection and sequestering, as well as provide for various document services. Deputy Sheriffs also provide intelligence and risk assessment services; train, plan, prepare and execute high security appearances and transports; as well as provide protective services for the judiciary, crown, defence, public, court staff, and all participants in the system so they may work in a safe and unencumbered environment while participating in or delivering justice related services for the province. For more information, please visit the Courthouse Services website. Please be aware not all the locations listed will have vacancies.

This role requires a highly effective decision maker, able to remain calm in tense and fast-paced work environment. Independent and able to work collaboratively on a dedicated team of professionals, able to train staff and provide technical and procedural advice and guidance. If you are a positive, motivated law enforcement professional seeking an exciting, career building opportunity, we look forward to your application.

In order to progress to the rank of Deputy Sheriff, recruits must successfully complete the Sheriff Recruit Training program (SRT). Graduates will continue with field-based training at their assigned court facility.

The Deputy Sheriff position has a peace officer and court officer designation, so is held to a high standard of conduct, both on and off duty, by the employer, the public and the courts.

The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace!

The BC Public Service is an inclusive and accessible employer. Please advise the hiring manager if any accommodations are required to assist you to ensure equitable participation.

We offer extensive training, growth and development opportunities, a competitive salary and benefits package, a pension plan that ranks among the best and a balance between work and other life commitments. We are committed to continuing to be an employer of choice, providing a professional environment where ideas work. For more information, please visit What We Offer.

For more information about BC Sheriff Service and the hiring process, please visit our Deputy Sheriff Career Opportunities page. For complete details on this opportunity, please review the attached job profile. For more information about this posting please contact: BCSheriffs@gov.bc.ca or phone: 1.877.372.3456.

NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.

SELECTION CRITERIA

In order to be considered for this position, you must clearly demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria outlined below

•19 years or older

•Legally entitled to work in Canada (B.C. Sheriff Service requires that you be a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada at the time you apply for this position)

•Grade 12 graduation or equivalent*, as defined:

o High school diploma (e.g. Dogwood Diploma B.C.); or
o Adult graduation diploma (e.g. Adult Dogwood B.C.); or
o GED certificate obtained between 1973 and 2014; or
o Graduation with a university degree or post-secondary diploma

•English language proficiency as supported by either Language Proficiency Index test (minimum score of Level 5) OR completion of 2 post-secondary English or written communications courses with a minimum of 6 credits.

•Valid Class 4 unrestricted B.C. Driver’s License or equivalent from another province (with no prohibitions/suspensions, and a maximum of 9 demerit points on a 5 year driver’s abstract)

•Standard First Aid with CPR-C or Occupational First Aid Level 1 or a WorkSafe BC approved equivalent.

•Typing Speed minimum 25 NET wpm

•Previous law enforcement experience and/or education/training may be given preference

Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.

IMPORTANT NEXT STEPS AND TIMELINES (TENTATIVE DATES)

Please refer to the table below for anticipated timeframes (Application deadline: April 28, 2019). Dates are tentative and are subject to change.

•Application review (stage 1): March - April

•Application review (stage 2): April-May

•Physical Tests and Interviews (stage 3): May-July

•Enhanced background security check: August-September

•Medical exam: September

•Sheriff Recruit Training (14 weeks): October 28, 2019 -February 11, 2020

NOTE: Applications will be reviewed on a weekly basis. Applicants who meet the minimum criteria and submit the required documentation as outlined below in Stage One, may be contacted to begin the assessment process prior to the competition closing date.

STAGE ONE - HOW TO APPLY

1. Submit your Resume and complete an online questionnaire by clicking on the “Apply to this Job” link at the bottom of this job posting.

Your resume should include your full and complete employment and educational history for a minimum of the previous five years. You will be required to upload your resume to your on-line profile when you apply to the job posting. It may not be reviewed as part of the initial screening process, but at a later stage of the competition. PLEASE DO NOT submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.

As part of the online application process you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job qualifications. You need approximately 15 minutes to complete it.

2. Submit Required Documentation: after submitting your resume, you must email copies of the documentation listed below for stage one of the hiring process as one scanned PDF file to: BCSheriffs@gov.bc.ca by the closing date of the competition.

•Birth Certificate and/or Proof of legal entitlement to work in Canada (this can be in the form of your Canadian Provincial Birth Certificate, Canadian passport, Permanent Resident Card, or other citizenship papers etc.) - photocopy of front + back

•Class 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Driver’s Licence – photocopy of front + back

•Grade 12 diploma, GED, Adult Dogwood Diploma, University degree or Post-Secondary diploma – If the equivalent high school graduation, degree or diploma is from an institution outside of North America, New Zealand, Australia, UK or Ireland you will be required to have this credential verified by a designated organization. Please refer to the IRCC website for a list of designated organizations.

NOTE: The file size should not exceed 10MB or you will need to submit via more than one email. You must enter your first and last name in the subject line of the email and the word “documentation”. Example: Firstname Lastname DOCUMENTATION

Applicants who do not pass the online questionnaire and/or do not submit the required documentation above by the closing date of the competition will not move forward in the hiring process.

STAGE TWO - ASSESSMENT PROCESS

Applicants who meet the Stage One requirements will be invited to stage two and must submit the following documents, via email, to: BCSheriffs@gov.bc.ca (please do not submit this documentation until you are requested to do so):

•Proof of typing speed of 25 WPM (you will be invited to complete a designated online test of your keyboarding skills – alternative tests will not be accepted)

•Safe driving record (driver’s abstract) - Get Your Driving Record

•Language Proficiency Index (LPI) test score (minimum Level 5); OR 2 post-secondary English or written communication courses with a minimum of six credits. NOTE: The last LPI sitting for this competition is May 11, 2019. Please note that alternative tests will not be accepted. Proof of registration for an LPI sitting no later than May 11, 2019 will be accepted.

•A Class 1, 2 or 4 unrestricted driver’s license (you may have your learners when applying).

•Valid First Aid Certification (Standard First aid with CPR – C, or Occupational First Aid Level One, or equivalent). Please refer to Work Safe BC website for a list of equivalencies to OFA level 1.

•Your completed BC Public Service Security Screening Questionnaire (SSQ)

STAGE THREE - ASSESSMENT PROCESS

If your application and supporting documentation are determined to meet the selection criteria as outlined in Stages One and Two, you will be contacted to move to the next stage of the selection process which includes:

•Completion of the Sheriff Officer Physical Assessment Test (SOPAT), which must be completed in 4 minutes 15 seconds. There is a $53 - $63 fee associated with this test which is the responsibility of the applicant. Your result is valid for up to 6 months before the class start date.

•A competency-based interview

•An employment and reference check

•An enhanced background security check including a Criminal Records Check, Fingerprint Check and a Computer Voice Stress Analysis Test.

•A comprehensive medical examination by our Occupational Health Programs physician which will include visual and hearing tests

Any costs associated with obtaining any required documentation are the sole responsibility of the applicant.

NOTE: Successful applicants will be required to sign a Return of Service Agreement.

Correspondence about this competition will be sent to you from @gov.bc.ca email addresses. Please add @gov.bc.ca to your safe senders list to avoid missing out on these emails.

Job Category

Compliance and Enforcement, Court and Judicial Services

Additional Information

JobProfie_DEP SH18R_Deputy Sheriff
MLEO/ACO

E Division AAP 2009
RPAT - March 7
PARE - March 8
RMSI - March 15
POLY - April 22
END - May 26

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby John014 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:53 am

Question:
Do you guys have the authority to lay charges (write crowns)?
Do you have a way of submitting those crowns?

Thanks,

JP
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer

BS1991

Postby BS1991 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:40 pm

As a former Sheriff, I can answer this for you. The answer is no for both of your questions. If there is an offence that is committed (in the courthouse, cells ect) they call the Police of jurisdiction who come and do an investigation, seize evidence ect and then lay the charges. Sheriffs don't write any crowns or lay any charges at all.
Police Officer

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:58 pm

we are an arresting agency, not a charging agency.

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby John014 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Ok thanks. That is the answer I get from the current working Sheriffs, however my co-workers who used to be Sheriffs are telling me that is incorrect and he has wrote many RTCC's prior to becoming a Police Officer.

I was told it may have something to do with the Managers just not wanting Sheriffs to spend the time. If that was the case I was going to be doing some serious push back, as it is not then I will continue with business as usual.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer

Dorydory
Rookie Member

Postby Dorydory » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm

only the police recommend charges in BC. As Sheriffs are supposed to be "neutral" we do not investigate/write RTCCs.

perhaps they are thinking of a different Sheriff service in Canada?

While I am still rather new to the service, I would feel comfortable betting $ saying that the Dept has never wrote a RTCC since its inception in the early 1970s.

Highland2012

Postby Highland2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 pm

While I am still rather new to the service, I would feel comfortable betting $ saying that the Dept has never wrote a RTCC since its inception in the early 1970s.
`

I can confirm the BCSS does not do RTCC`s. If anything happens we contact the local PD and they come in and investigate. The most a sheriff will do is take the stand to give evidence.
APPLICANT-
July 15th 2019: Application Re-Submitted

Newtotheblueline
Rookie Member

Postby Newtotheblueline » Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Dorydory wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm
only the police recommend charges in BC. As Sheriffs are supposed to be "neutral" we do not investigate/write RTCCs.

perhaps they are thinking of a different Sheriff service in Canada?

I would love to take your money, it's true we are not a charging agency but we can go directly to crown for charge approval. We've done in my office before without involving the local PD. They don't want us doing any RTCCs because it undermines the idea that we are unbiased.

Danjay21
Rookie Member

Postby Danjay21 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am

Is there anyone here currently in the hiring process for the October class?

1st and 2nd stage went really quick, questionnaire completed, got invited to 3rd stage, I did my SOPAT with LEPAT like 3 days after I was asked to book a test through JIBC for future dates. Got an email pretty quick saying interviews will be scheduled after June 5th.

I will say the process has been going well, definetly starting to feel a little nervous for the interview, not sure why I'm nervous now I am still waiting to schedule an interview Haha!

Any advice current sheriffs could give me for the interview and voice stress?

Thanks all!