GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CanadianQuackers

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby CanadianQuackers » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:18 pm
CanadianQuackers wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:47 pm
TaylorAlexandra wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 am

Apparantly 😂 (just noticed I typed hostile wrong. Whoops)

1. Honestly, I want to move out of Ontario and see the country. Id prefer somewhere fairly developed (while I am not a city girl, I'm not quite country either), where the housing is not ridiculously expensive. I'm still trying to pay off some school debt and really don't want to be stuck somewhere where food/housing are expensive, which would cause me longer to pay it off.

2. Honestly still looking into it. I love how many options there are!

3. I think that learning all the different conditions for entry (since each product may have different rules and regulations), will be an interesting first hurdle. As we learned during testing, the rules are different depending on what you're bringing in. Not my main concern really, but an interesting hurdle as a trainee

4.My schooling is all law enforcement focused. Unfortunately getting hired in Ontario is expensive and very competitive ( police college is 10k, and to apply is around 400, but the physical only lasts 6 months, at 75$ a go). I honestly looked into CBSA as an alternative, and quickly realized that it has a stronger resemblance to what I look for in a workplace, with a strong tie to my values and beliefs.
The one issue I have with CBSA is there is sparse amounts of info in regards to advancement and specializations. Unless you know somebody it’s really difficult to be aware of multiple avenues within the orgrinization I find. Not that I care for it, but at least the RCMP and similar organizations outline some of the other roles that exist beyond the frontline duties of being a BSO.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/menu-eng.html

Click each section

Ie Border Management

“Career possibilities:

Detector dog handling
Intelligence
Targeting
Investigations
Security and facilitation of travellers and migrants
Border risk assessment
Big data analysis
Trade/commercial facilitation and compliance
Revenue collection
Canadian industry assistance”

Granted, it doesn’t dive into each thing but it does give some branches
A lot of the positions are filled by non-uniformed members though, which is frustrating as an applicant because it’s hard to know which falls in which category. I know for a fact policy analysts aren’t generally filled by CBSA BSO’s. I have peers entering into temporary work in these jobs.

At least the RCMP has a brochure that outlines exactly what may exist down the road for constables. I think it mentions 150 specializations, whereas this list is comprehensive for anyone looking at a career within CBSA, as an institution. Obviously some of the positions are quite obvious, but it’s still problematic.

readytoserve

Postby readytoserve » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:47 am

hsinom wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Not sure if this has been asked but if you've been deferred by other police agencies recently would this hurt your chances in getting a security clearance?
I believe the security clearance, as was mentioned, is about whether you're a risk to border security. I believe it's similar to a military clearance. They want to know where you've lived, worked, etc. They need to be able to account for your whereabouts and actions for the past 5 or 10 years. If you were without addresses, references or employment for the last 5 years in Syria I don't think you're going to advance.

As for things like, did you ever steal a candy bar or smoke a joint before, just be honest about that stuff and maintain your integrity. People make mistakes, people aren't sure what's relevant to bring up or not, polygraphs are stressful, etc. I'd just be honest this time around and let the chips fall where they may.
CBSA
Applied Jan 2019
OTEE Mar 2019
PARE Apr 2019

CSC
Applied December 2018
SJT March 2019
Interview April 2019
References May 2019
CTP1 Invite May 2019

Tornelco

Postby Tornelco » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Got my invite for an interview today.

Amazing how much faster the CBSA has gotten with their process! The first time I applied, it took 9 months from my application to get my interview!

This time it took 3 or 4 months! 3rd times a charm folks! Wish me luck!
What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

markcomeback
Rookie Member

Postby markcomeback » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 pm

I just learned that I have been successful in both written SLE exams. Does anyone know how long it generally takes to receive an invitation for the oral test?

Thank you!
CBSA Application:
Applied: Aug, 2018
OTEE: Sept, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Psych Evaluation: Feb, 2019
Security documents: submitted on Feb, 2019
Medical: March, 2019
SLE (written tests): March, 2019
Security interview:
OITP:
Rigaud:

readytoserve

Postby readytoserve » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 pm

markcomeback wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 pm
I just learned that I have been successful in both written SLE exams. Does anyone know how long it generally takes to receive an invitation for the oral test?

Thank you!
I don't have an answer for you, sorry, but could I ask a ?
Did you ever take the self-assessment tests available on the Government of Canada bilingual testing website? If so, did you find them an accurate predictor of how well you did on the real test?

Also, without giving anything away, do you have any study tips?
CBSA
Applied Jan 2019
OTEE Mar 2019
PARE Apr 2019

CSC
Applied December 2018
SJT March 2019
Interview April 2019
References May 2019
CTP1 Invite May 2019

lifeline651
Rookie Member

Postby lifeline651 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:17 pm

readytoserve wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 pm
markcomeback wrote:

Thank you!
Did you ever take the self-assessment tests
available on the Government of Canada bilingual testing website? If so, did you find them an accurate predictor of how well you did on the real test?

Speak French as much as possible, if you have access to any kind of French study material concentrate on grammar, passé-composé, furtur simple and proche and discro indirect.

If you have any more questions pm me, I'll be talking the test soon for the final exam of my French course

markcomeback
Rookie Member

Postby markcomeback » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:35 pm

readytoserve wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 pm
markcomeback wrote:

Thank you!
Did you ever take the self-assessment tests available on the Government of Canada bilingual testing website? If so, did you find them an accurate predictor of how well you did on the real test?

Hi,

Yes I did take the self-assessment tests and I found them accurate predictors for the real tests! You can practice by analyzing random paragraphs, summarizing them and highlighting the important points in your head as fast as possible. My SLE was in English BTW, since I mainly speak French ;)
CBSA Application:
Applied: Aug, 2018
OTEE: Sept, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Psych Evaluation: Feb, 2019
Security documents: submitted on Feb, 2019
Medical: March, 2019
SLE (written tests): March, 2019
Security interview:
OITP:
Rigaud:

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 pm

it's great to see lots of happy threads!

:) :D :) :o

I am a uniform man all the way, no interest in performing duties out of uniform.
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: ?

TPS:
GIS: July 22th, 2019
PREP Practice: July 26th, 2019
WCT: Aug 17, 2019
PREP:
PATI: October 5th, 2019

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:02 pm
Got my invite for an interview today.

Amazing how much faster the CBSA has gotten with their process! The first time I applied, it took 9 months from my application to get my interview!

This time it took 3 or 4 months! 3rd times a charm folks! Wish me luck!
Congratulations! I feel like your going to do great this time!
CBSA:
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:

TPS:
PREP:

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:59 pm

hsinom wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:10 pm
Suikoden wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:33 pm
hsinom wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:21 pm
Not sure if this has been asked but if you've been deferred by other police agencies recently would this hurt your chances in getting a security clearance?
Depends on what you mean; were you deferred during security clearance in another agency or deferred during for interview or past things admitted?

If security clearance because say your father is a kingpin to a major drug mafia, then yes, it would hurt your chances as it would get brought up again.
This was recently for stuff I admitted just before the polygraph which I didnt put in my disclosure even though I passed it, not during a security clearance.
no polygraph with CBSA, You do have an integrity security interview though.

the CBSA security clearance process is different then police agencies; The cbsa security process is quite clear and is standard. All the forms are available on the CBSA's website for public viewing; no home visits or door knocks on your door. One of your reference has to be a neighbor I believe though;

address and employment history for xx amount of years, four references, criminal convictions, credit problems, their is no deception behind their security screening, you'll know what your going into and won't be caught off guard.

It's simple don't commit crimes or make especially large shitty life choices, don't hangout with losers, pay your bills and try to better yourself a little bit everyday and you'll pass.
CBSA:
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:

TPS:
PREP:

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:16 pm

What is your top pick for your port of entry (Or geographical area)?

New Brunswick; or Windsor. Windsor has the third largest middle-eastern population in Canada(20,000 out of 200,000 citizens) and is an up and coming city. Still very cheap for real estate.

What interesting career positions have you looked into, and aspire to one day be in the role of?

I enjoy front-line work; pay my duties if I am successful and make it up to SUPT, and possibly higher but I don't want to leave uniform.

What do you think the most difficult part of our future career will be?

Unsure at this time.

What drew you to joining the CBSA?

Good career, a very technical based job that is based heavily on regulation enforcement(my style), law enforcement career, ability to move around Canada if desired, I have a large dislike for drugs and I am supportive of law enforcement who's job it is to find illegal drugs. Get to experience different cultures by meeting lots of people from all over the world.
CBSA:
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:

TPS:
PREP:

readytoserve

Postby readytoserve » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 pm

markcomeback wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:35 pm
Hi,

Yes I did take the self-assessment tests and I found them accurate predictors for the real tests! You can practice by analyzing random paragraphs, summarizing them and highlighting the important points in your head as fast as possible. My SLE was in English BTW, since I mainly speak French ;)
lifeline651 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Speak French as much as possible, if you have access to any kind of French study material concentrate on grammar, passé-composé, furtur simple and proche and discro indirect.

If you have any more questions pm me, I'll be talking the test soon for the final exam of my French course
Thank you.

I will definitely be speaking as much as possible. I am currently reading the CBC in French and watching CBC in French on TV, sometimes I try to watch sit coms on ICI tou. My self assessment was C for reading, B to C for writing and oral I have no idea.

What is "proche and discro indirect" ?
CBSA
Applied Jan 2019
OTEE Mar 2019
PARE Apr 2019

CSC
Applied December 2018
SJT March 2019
Interview April 2019
References May 2019
CTP1 Invite May 2019

lifeline651
Rookie Member

Postby lifeline651 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 am

Furtur proche, or close future in English, is using the verb aller when talking about something in the future. Ex je vais aller à Montréal, demain - I'm going to Montreal tomorrow. The other is discours indirect, it is repeating back something said or heard to a third person. You use it during the second part of the test .

If want to send me your email I can send you a breakdown of the four parts of the test and a brief outline of what is needed to achieve each proficiency level for the oral interaction.

Don't worry in the info I would share is not trade secrets, the info can be found online with a little research.

ao2y
Rookie Member

Postby ao2y » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 am

cb681 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:52 pm
I notice alot of people fail to utilize the search option on this site, which would literally answer all of the repetitive questions that are asked ad nauseam. Come on guys, you are applying for a career where you will be required to use your investigative skills. Let's show some initiative and start here..... :D
I was having anxiety about when the next invites are and I know damn well I wasn't going to ask. So I searched and I saw your post from last year of all the possible invites and intake dates. Now I am at ease! The search function is really that simple y'all.

Imnewtothis
Rookie Member

Postby Imnewtothis » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Hey everyone. New applicant here.
Ive been lurking on this forum for a few months now and have a question for those who took the otee in feb.
Has anyone received an invite for the interview yet?
Im applying from the atlantic region.

Thanks and goodluck to everyone who has applied.