2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Naxi
Rookie Member

Re: 2018 FSWEP - Student Border Services Officer

Postby Naxi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:23 pm

StudentAnon wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:49 am
Naxi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:22 am
officervf wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:10 am
Just received an email stating I have met medical requirements and to keep up to date with inbox.

Did anyone get an email like this before the offer?

What a waiting game 88)
Yes, you should get an email stating you passed medical.
Congrats on the formal offer! Did they send the Letter of Offer by post or email?
RugerBlue26 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 pm
StudentAnon wrote:
Naxi wrote:

Congrats on the formal offer! Did they send the Letter of Offer by post or email?
Yeah did you get a letter or email? I got a letter from the clinic that I went to to get the medical done, and all it was was a copy of the paper saying I passed. I still haven't gotten an email from CBSA
You get an email along with 5 attachments including Tax Forms, Direct Deposit form as well as a package stating you are formally invited with your pay grade, hours you work in a week, contract length and the position/sector you work at.
GTA SBSO
Applied: Aug. 19/18
OTEE: Oct. 14/18 - [PASS] Dec. 14/18
Interview: Nov. 23/18 - [PASS] Nov. 26/18
Medical: Dec. 5/18 - [PASS] Dec. 13/18
Security: Dec. 20/18 - [PASS] Jan. 31/19
Training Invite: Mar. 20/19 - [Accepted]
Formal Offer: Apr. 3/19 - [Accepted]

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:40 pm

Naxi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:23 pm
StudentAnon wrote:
Naxi wrote:

RugerBlue26 wrote:
StudentAnon wrote:

Yeah did you get a letter or email? I got a letter from the clinic that I went to to get the medical done, and all it was was a copy of the paper saying I passed. I still haven't gotten an email from CBSA
You get an email along with 5 attachments including Tax Forms, Direct Deposit form as well as a package stating you are formally invited with your pay grade, hours you work in a week, contract length and the position/sector you work at.
Oh nice! I got all those minus anything stating what the pay grade and hours of work are. They've congratulated on my "success in the selection process" and welcomed me to my port in a few emails but until they send an actual LoO I can only take everything with a grain of salt. Last year I got burned after a verbal offer so this year I'm not letting my hopes up until I'm actually in a uniform lol.

officervf
Rookie Member

Postby officervf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:46 pm

StudentAnon wrote:
Naxi wrote:
officervf wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:10 am
Just received an email stating I have met medical requirements and to keep up to date with inbox.

Did anyone get an email like this before the offer?

What a waiting game 88)
I haven’t gotten an offer. The email just stated I passed the medical and to keep an eye on email. I’m hoping to get a formal offer soon
SBSO Candidate GTA
OTEE (Passed): December 13th, 2018
Interview (Passed): January 15th, 2019
Security Clearance Interview (Granted on March 8th, 2019): March 1st, 2019
Medical (Granted on April 2nd, 2019): March 27, 2019

officervf
Rookie Member

Postby officervf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm

StudentAnon wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:40 pm
Naxi wrote:
StudentAnon wrote:

RugerBlue26 wrote:

Oh nice! I got all those minus anything stating what the pay grade and hours of work are. They've congratulated on my "success in the selection process" and welcomed me to my port in a few emails but until they send an actual LoO I can only take everything with a grain of salt. Last year I got burned after a verbal offer so this year I'm not letting my hopes up until I'm actually in a uniform lol.
Wow so you got a verbal offer and you weren’t selected? That’s my fear is that the have to filter everyone after the medical and security clearance. I’m all clear. Just need an offer :(
SBSO Candidate GTA

mitt1989
Rookie Member

Postby mitt1989 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:43 pm

Has anyone from the GTA region received a letter of offer or training invite? I am still waiting to hear back, the last time I heard from them was in regards to clarifying when I could start training and that I should keep up to date with my inbox since I met both the medical and security requirements. Because of my exam schedule, I can't start training until late April, could this effect my chances of receiving an offer?

namsy
Rookie Member

Postby namsy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 pm

I had my Security Clearance on January 12 (almost 13 weeks ago) and I haven't heard back from them regarding it. But I did get an email saying I passed my medical. Anyone know when I'll hear back from them and why it's taking this long?
SBSO:
Applied: Sept 11, 2018
OTEE: Oct 17, 2018 [PASSED, Nov 22, 2018]
Interview: Dec 11, 2018 [PASSED, Dec 12, 2018]
Security: Jan 12, 2019 [PASSED, April 10, 2019]
Medical: Feb 14, 2019 [PASSED, Apr 2, 2019]

Naxi
Rookie Member

Postby Naxi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 pm

mitt1989 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:43 pm
Has anyone from the GTA region received a letter of offer or training invite? I am still waiting to hear back, the last time I heard from them was in regards to clarifying when I could start training and that I should keep up to date with my inbox since I met both the medical and security requirements. Because of my exam schedule, I can't start training until late April, could this effect my chances of receiving an offer?
I have gotten both. You should receive a training invite first and then the letter of offer.
My exams end very late in April too but I still start on the 29th of April, so I don't think it affects the chances of receiving an offer.
GTA SBSO
Applied: Aug. 19/18
OTEE: Oct. 14/18 - [PASS] Dec. 14/18
Interview: Nov. 23/18 - [PASS] Nov. 26/18
Medical: Dec. 5/18 - [PASS] Dec. 13/18
Security: Dec. 20/18 - [PASS] Jan. 31/19
Training Invite: Mar. 20/19 - [Accepted]
Formal Offer: Apr. 3/19 - [Accepted]

officervf
Rookie Member

Postby officervf » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:31 pm

Naxi wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 pm
mitt1989 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:43 pm
I have gotten both. You should receive a training invite first and then the letter of offer.
My exams end very late in April too but I still start on the 29th of April, so I don't think it affects the chances of receiving an offer.
I wonder how many people they’re given offers to. I would’ve assumed I was getting hired since I was cleared.

Can’t assume until I hear back though.
SBSO Candidate GTA

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 am

officervf wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm
StudentAnon wrote:
Naxi wrote:

Wow so you got a verbal offer and you weren’t selected? That’s my fear is that the have to filter everyone after the medical and security clearance. I’m all clear. Just need an offer :(
Yeah it really sucked at the time because I had to scramble to lineup another summer job last minute but luckily I was able to find something good. It sucks for students because the large majority have no experience with the government hiring process and think that it's straight forward like the private sector where you pass an interview and you get the job. The reality is that until the letter of offer is signed there is no guarantee you have a job. Security clearance, medical exams, etc are only "conditions of employment" meaning that you can only be offered an employment if you meet them. Best thing to do is always keep applying for other summer jobs until you get that LoO in your hands. I believe the end of next week is the deadline for fswep offers to go out, not sure if it applies to the CBSA tho.

officervf
Rookie Member

Postby officervf » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:59 am

StudentAnon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 am
officervf wrote:
StudentAnon wrote:

Yeah it really sucked at the time because I had to scramble to lineup another summer job last minute but luckily I was able to find something good. It sucks for students because the large majority have no experience with the government hiring process and think that it's straight forward like the private sector where you pass an interview and you get the job. The reality is that until the letter of offer is signed there is no guarantee you have a job. Security clearance, medical exams, etc are only "conditions of employment" meaning that you can only be offered an employment if you meet them. Best thing to do is always keep applying for other summer jobs until you get that LoO in your hands. I believe the end of next week is the deadline for fswep offers to go out, not sure if it applies to the CBSA tho.
Yeah that does suck. I was hoping to get it. Hopefully I get an offer next week. They must have a lot of successful applicants they have to deny. Do they let you know if you aren’t selected?
SBSO Candidate GTA

bluestripes93
Rookie Member

Postby bluestripes93 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:24 am

In the pacific region, they said they hire right up till April 28th. They also said if they are missing something in your application they will keep it open for next year, but will notify you one way or the other if you are or are not selected. However, they said the feedback may be generic.

StudentAnon
Rookie Member

Postby StudentAnon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:18 am

officervf wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:59 am
StudentAnon wrote:
officervf wrote:

Yeah that does suck. I was hoping to get it. Hopefully I get an offer next week. They must have a lot of successful applicants they have to deny. Do they let you know if you aren’t selected?
Yeah they sent out a generic email before May saying all positions were filled. Fingers crossed to get some good news by next week 88)

thomasr15
Rookie Member

Postby thomasr15 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:27 am

StudentAnon wrote:
officervf wrote:
StudentAnon wrote:

Reading all of this, my process went a bit differently. I got an email stating to contact them and then talked on the phone, accepted a conditional offer, then got an email congratulating on accepting a position at the office I applied to. I was told some papers will be sent my way in 2 to 3 weeks since they're still figuring out the training dates in May. I went in, got measurements for my uniform, and already got boots from them. I also had my picture taken for my ID. Is this pretty official that I got the job or not until I got those papers like you said? Thanks.

namsy
Rookie Member

Postby namsy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 am

thomasr15 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:27 am
[quote=StudentAnon post_id=836429 time=<a href="tel:1554437853">1554437853</a> user_id=45303]
[quote=officervf post_id=836420 time=<a href="tel:1554421663">1554421663</a> user_id=44977]
[quote=StudentAnon post_id=836411 time=<a href="tel:1554403255">1554403255</a> user_id=45303]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Reading all of this, my process went a bit differently. I got an email stating to contact them and then talked on the phone, accepted a conditional offer, then got an email congratulating on accepting a position at the office I applied to. I was told some papers will be sent my way in 2 to 3 weeks since they're still figuring out the training dates in May. I went in, got measurements for my uniform, and already got boots from them. I also had my picture taken for my ID. Is this pretty official that I got the job or not until I got those papers like you said? Thanks.
[/quote]

Hey, that’s great! But I had it a bit weird too, when I went for my first interview right after the OTEE, they Had me and another candidate get our measurements taken right after the interview, I was confused because I still had my security interview to do and also my medical. But I still have not heard back regarding my security clearance and the last time I heard back was about passing my medical. I told them during my interview I had a speeding ticket pending my court date in April 3, do u guys think they were waiting to see the results for that?
SBSO:
Applied: Sept 11, 2018
OTEE: Oct 17, 2018 [PASSED, Nov 22, 2018]
Interview: Dec 11, 2018 [PASSED, Dec 12, 2018]
Security: Jan 12, 2019 [PASSED, April 10, 2019]
Medical: Feb 14, 2019 [PASSED, Apr 2, 2019]

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:36 am

thomasr15 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:27 am
StudentAnon wrote:
officervf wrote:

Sounds promising. But I haven't received my medical (although I know I passed it, I'm just waiting for the official email) or my security clearance, however last week I went in and got measurements and my photo ID done, but no offer of employment or anything like that. It's so different for everyone lol
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019