Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby TheSlav » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:57 pm

manuel4140 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:33 am
TheSlav wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:15 am
Well, I was told by one of my references they got an email with a package. But my current supervisor didn’t get an email or call. Hmmmm.
Maybe say something along the lines that you were informed by one of your references they received the package but the second person you put as a referee did not receive anything. Just say that you would like to confirm his/her email address (and write it in the email).

My second reference package did not make it to the person I put down as a referee. As a cause, it slowed the whole process for almost a month. Sucks because if something doesn't go smooth, your application goes back to the pile.
I thought the applicants aren’t supposed to “know” of their references getting any emails or calls? Would we shot outselfs in the foot by sending an email?

Applied: 12/10/218
Test: 01/31/18
Test Results: 02/11/19
Interview: 03/21/19
References: 04/03/19
Fingerprinting: 04/05/19
Screening: 04/08/19
Psych Test: 04/15/19
Health Assessment: 04/18/19
Psych Eval: 04/23/19 - failed

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm

TheSlav wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:57 pm
manuel4140 wrote:
TheSlav wrote:
Well, I was told by one of my references they got an email with a package. But my current supervisor didn’t get an email or call. Hmmmm.
Maybe say something along the lines that you were informed by one of your references they received the package but the second person you put as a referee did not receive anything. Just say that you would like to confirm his/her email address (and write it in the email).

My second reference package did not make it to the person I put down as a referee. As a cause, it slowed the whole process for almost a month. Sucks because if something doesn't go smooth, your application goes back to the pile.
I thought the applicants aren’t supposed to “know” of their references getting any emails or calls? Would we shot outselfs in the foot by sending an email?
Everyone's situation is different... My own personal experience, my boss told me I wasn't supposed to know. I don't know what the email to him said and I don't care.... My references are done.

If you are concerned about sending an email.... Then let them contact you in 2-3 weeks to tell you they never received a package from one of your references as they did with me.. That's what happened to me and it slowed my process by about a month.

They are professionals and understanding people. I don't think it would be wrong to say that one of your references disclosed they received a reference package but your second didn't get it. That way, you can confirm the email address you put down during your interview.

All the best.

paccx

Postby paccx » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:15 pm

TheSlav wrote:
manuel4140 wrote:
TheSlav wrote:

There is no issue with contacting recruiting and confirming contact details regarding all of your references.
Correctional Service of Canada
CX2, Pacific Region

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:40 pm

I have medical for late April, I'm kinda hoping that there's more I could do while I wait for it.. to speed up the process. They said Kingston in 4-6 months, which lines up for June and August respectively. Everything else went by really fast so maybe it's just one of those things. I passed CTP1 a week before deadline so I am very happy with myself thus far. :thumbsup:
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

Countess
Rookie Member

Postby Countess » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Hello,

If you are attending CTP3 in Kingston from April 9 to July 10, would you like to share a taxi? Let me know!

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Postby TheSlav » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:10 pm

manuel4140 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm
TheSlav wrote:
manuel4140 wrote:

Everyone's situation is different... My own personal experience, my boss told me I wasn't supposed to know. I don't know what the email to him said and I don't care.... My references are done.

If you are concerned about sending an email.... Then let them contact you in 2-3 weeks to tell you they never received a package from one of your references as they did with me.. That's what happened to me and it slowed my process by about a month.

They are professionals and understanding people. I don't think it would be wrong to say that one of your references disclosed they received a reference package but your second didn't get it. That way, you can confirm the email address you put down during your interview.

All the best.
Sorry for the late reply. I was going to take your advice and call them this week, but the references got the emails/calls already!

EDIT: Hey guys, I just received my Pre-Employment health assessment and Fingerprinting request. I was searching the this thread but couldn't find anything. Is there a associated fee for the fingerprinting? I will be doing mine through Commissioners.

Applied: 12/10/218
Test: 01/31/18
Test Results: 02/11/19
Interview: 03/21/19
References: 04/03/19
Fingerprinting: 04/05/19
Screening: 04/08/19
Psych Test: 04/15/19
Health Assessment: 04/18/19
Psych Eval: 04/23/19 - failed

corm95
Rookie Member

Postby corm95 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:09 am

Countess wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 pm
Hello,

If you are attending CTP3 in Kingston from April 9 to July 10, would you like to share a taxi? Let me know!
I am, i’ll message you with my contact info!

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:19 am

TheSlav wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:10 pm
manuel4140 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm
TheSlav wrote:

All the best.
Sorry for the late reply. I was going to take your advice and call them this week, but the references got the emails/calls already!

EDIT: Hey guys, I just received my Pre-Employment health assessment and Fingerprinting request. I was searching the this thread but couldn't find anything. Is there a associated fee for the fingerprinting? I will be doing mine through Commissioners.
$50 - $60... Can't remember the exact amount.

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:24 am

AT LAST!!! After a year of waiting (5 months delayed due to traveling and other issues througout my application) I finally received an invitation to do CTP2/3 starting June 11. Hopefully I get to connect with a few of you that get invited for the same timeline. :D

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:29 pm

manuel4140 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:24 am
AT LAST!!! After a year of waiting (5 months delayed due to traveling and other issues througout my application) I finally received an invitation to do CTP2/3 starting June 11. Hopefully I get to connect with a few of you that get invited for the same timeline. :D
Congrats! I finished up the last of my requirements last week so hopefully I'm there with you!

paccx

Postby paccx » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 pm

“Working on the Edge.” It’s a an important video to watch.

https://youtu.be/LcWiF_fQwEw
Correctional Service of Canada
CX2, Pacific Region

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:54 pm

paccx wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Wow
Well that was extremely eye opening. I know someone in CSC and he's advised me about some of the difficult situations I could be potentially exposed to. He doesn't tell me them to deter me from the position as he's said a few times I would be good as a CX.. But if someone asked me "why do this?" I don't know if I could provide a decent answer. However, something in my heart and head is still telling me to push on, I still want to pursue this career and with everyone's posts, PM's, co-workers, other LEO's I've spoken to.. I would fully regret it if I didn't at least try... I totally know that you're also not trying to deter anyone, paccx.. PTSD is something not to be overlooked. In fact, I asked how the support system was on my interview with CSC.. Doing SAR, I could be exposed to situations during a training scenario where we may get called to an actual crisis.. You can't really say no when you're in the middle of the ocean... We also have an excellent CISM support system that some used last year when we dealt with a particularly trying situation.

Thank you very much for posting that paccx. Hat goes off to all CSC officers who keep us safe!

I'd highly suggest: Take the 30 minutes to watch this video...
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:28 am

manuel4140 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:24 am
Got the call too! Training in PEI June 13th.

PrismaticToon
Rookie Member

Postby PrismaticToon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:40 pm

I received an invite today for CTP 3 in PEI and a confirmation of interest from the Prairie Region. I was wondering if anyone with more experience in the application process would be able to offer some insight on the likelihood of receiving an offer from the Pacific Region if I were to decline the Prairies. Thanks!

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 pm

paccx wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Great work sharing this. Some folks have no idea. And as an OJT instructor, I cannot emphasize enough to the new recruits that think they're invincible, at 21 years old and a police foundations diploma; how much can happen in a split second. I know all too well how those officers in the video feel. The real kicker is the stuff that is showcased in that video has been tamed down substantially from what it really was like in those situations and what it really can be like. You couldnt show people what some of us have actually seen. Well you could, but it would be on the dark web.
Current CXII CSC - 2010

CBSA Application:
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10/16 - PASS 10/8/10/10
INTERVIEW 2018/11
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04/16 Pass
Medical: 2019/05/01
Security Checks: Started 2019/04/26
OITP:
Rigaud: