Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Critical08
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Critical08 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:11 am

noanykey wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:47 pm
hockeyguy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:45 pm
Had my interview 12 days ago, they phone interviewed my boss yesterday and sent me for fingerprinting and medical to be set up within the next week. They're not messing around with me it would seem.
That's weird. You should be in CTP 1 by now. I'm working through CTP 1 and have yet to do Medical and Finger printing.. I do have my psych evaluation on Monday though. My references got packages too not phone calls. Curious to know if you're pacific? Maybe it's different from province to province??

Manuel, don't get discouraged.. This (like all) LEO processes takes time. There's one guy here, not sure if CSC but he injured himself during training and had to bail out of a program.. While you wait, go get some firearm practice.. you only get 3 attempts to pass before they fail you. Sign up to Police Judo to get some UofF training.. Plenty of stuff to get you prepared for CTP 3 so you're not constantly refreshing your email browser :)

To be honest, there is no need for any of this ... CTP will train you to their standards. Almost all my core never even held a firearm before and did fine. Those who had "prior experience" handling firearms whether it be from hunting or practice, struggled the most. Same goes for "UofF" training.

Don't be that recruit that thinks they know everything. If you have that mindset, you'll struggle in core and even more so, you will struggle at your institution.

Best piece of advice I can offer has already been said many times... Eyes open mouth shut. It doesn't matter what prior experience you bring in. Be a team player, form study groups and practice every chance you get. Also, get in shape.

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:13 pm

For sure. I apologize if it came out the wrong way. I definitely do not have the "I know everything" attitude. I am a fairly humble person to begin with and knowledge, especially from those who are already in the institution is something I cannot wait to hear, eyes open and mouth shut for sure! :)
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 pm

As a CSC firearms instructor I will say based on my many years experience..do not go get firearms training before you go to CTP.
All you will do is acquire training habits that may or may not be the same as we will train you to do.
So you will have to be retrained which takes up valuable time and increases the chances of you screwing up.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

seggy
Rookie Member

Postby seggy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 pm

good luck everyone
Last edited by seggy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corm95
Rookie Member

Postby corm95 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:06 am

Taliwonder wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:24 am
Hello,

Quick question regarding CTP 2, I received my invitation for training (CTP 3) beginning in early April and I accepted earlier this week. Will I be receiving some sort of package from CSC recruiting for CTP 2? Or can I log onto the site where I completed CTP 1 and begin working on CTP 2?

Thanks!
When do you start CTP3??

I start April 9th and still haven’t received any package or email after I accepted my conditional offer. Hoping to get it soon cause I want to be able to go through it at a steady pace and not cram it all in two weeks

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Postby TheSlav » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:51 pm

manuel4140 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:30 pm
Whatever they ask - just make sure you are familiar with the mandate, the mission statement and CSC principals. you can get a bit of info here: https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/pblct/sb-go/02-eng.shtml
@manuel4140, apologies. I forgot to say thank you for this link, it will help a lot!
alexpaq wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:43 pm
TheSlav wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 pm
Hi again guys and gals,

I had received my email stating I passed my written WCPT-351 and SJT testing on Feb.11th.

I was scrolling through some of people’s progression and noticed they were interviewed relatively quickly after receiving their test scores. Is it normal for me to not have been contacted yet for an interview?

Thank you for you input you can provide.

S.

Hello, I'm just wondering, have you heard back from them yet about an interview? I wrote the test on January 31 and also received an email on February 11 saying I passed both tests but haven't heard anything else yet.

One of my friends has been through the program (graduated 2 days ago actually), after he wrote his test he heard back within 2 weeks about his results and interview, it only took about a month for him to do all his testing, interviews, medicals, etc. before stating CTP 1. So I'm just curious if you have heard back yet? Thanks!
Hey there!

Yes I did receive an email last week actually, it took almost a month. I actually asked the same question on here as I saw some people on here received an interview invite before their test scores.

Applied: 12/10/218
Test: 01/31/18
Test Results: 02/11/19
Interview: 03/21/19
References: 04/03/19
Fingerprinting: 04/05/19
Screening: 04/08/19
Psych Test: 04/15/19
Health Assessment: 04/18/19
Psych Eval: 04/23/19 - failed

alexpaq
Rookie Member

Postby alexpaq » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Hey there!

Yes I did receive an email last week actually, it took almost a month. I actually asked the same question on here as I saw some people on here received an interview invite before their test scores.
[/quote]

Yeah I've heard of a few people who received their test scores on the same day as me and have heard about an interview already but I haven't heard anything good or bad so I guess now it's just a waiting game!

alexpaq
Rookie Member

Postby alexpaq » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:21 pm

TheSlav wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:51 pm
manuel4140 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:30 pm
Whatever they ask - just make sure you are familiar with the mandate, the mission statement and CSC principals. you can get a bit of info here: https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/pblct/sb-go/02-eng.shtml
@manuel4140, apologies. I forgot to say thank you for this link, it will help a lot!
alexpaq wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:43 pm
TheSlav wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 pm
Hi again guys and gals,

I had received my email stating I passed my written WCPT-351 and SJT testing on Feb.11th.

I was scrolling through some of people’s progression and noticed they were interviewed relatively quickly after receiving their test scores. Is it normal for me to not have been contacted yet for an interview?

Thank you for you input you can provide.

S.

Hello, I'm just wondering, have you heard back from them yet about an interview? I wrote the test on January 31 and also received an email on February 11 saying I passed both tests but haven't heard anything else yet.

One of my friends has been through the program (graduated 2 days ago actually), after he wrote his test he heard back within 2 weeks about his results and interview, it only took about a month for him to do all his testing, interviews, medicals, etc. before stating CTP 1. So I'm just curious if you have heard back yet? Thanks!
Hey there!

Yeah I've heard of a few people who received their test scores on the same day as me and have heard about an interview already but I haven't heard anything good or bad so I guess now it's just a waiting game

TheSlav
Rookie Member

Postby TheSlav » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm curious, I have an interview coming up and I have a beard which I maintain. Having facial hair helps with my skin condition I have.

My question is, would the interviewers judge me based on having a beard when I come into the interview?

Applied: 12/10/218
Test: 01/31/18
Test Results: 02/11/19
Interview: 03/21/19
References: 04/03/19
Fingerprinting: 04/05/19
Screening: 04/08/19
Psych Test: 04/15/19
Health Assessment: 04/18/19
Psych Eval: 04/23/19 - failed

Rookie Member

Postby AvatarPac » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Hey guys,

I had my interview for Pacific region in early February. The day after the interview, they had sent out emails to my references for a reference check. Now it is March and I have not heard anything back from them.

Do you think I should contact them and ask if I am still in the hiring process and what is taking so long? I don't see them sending out a reference check if I had failed the interview, so I am assuming I had passed the interview. After reading the other posts I noticed that this is a waiting game. Getting impatient waiting.

Critical08
Rookie Member

Postby Critical08 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:45 pm
Hey guys,

I had my interview for Pacific region in early February. The day after the interview, they had sent out emails to my references for a reference check. Now it is March and I have not heard anything back from them.

Do you think I should contact them and ask if I am still in the hiring process and what is taking so long? I don't see them sending out a reference check if I had failed the interview, so I am assuming I had passed the interview. After reading the other posts I noticed that this is a waiting game. Getting impatient waiting.
Just be patient and wait... Timelines can vary

hockeyguy

Postby hockeyguy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to download CTP 1? My internet being spotty is an understatement.

manuel4140

Postby manuel4140 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:45 pm
Hey guys,

Hang in there buddy. I'm Pacific too and been waiting for a while too.. I think my references took about 3 weeks before they mentioned one 1 of the 2 did not receive the reference package. The second package went out a month after they originally asked for references and literally it took a month after that. I've gone mental waiting for the last invite CTP3 lol

noanykey
Seasoned Member

Postby noanykey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 am

hockeyguy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:58 pm
Does anyone know if there is a way to download CTP 1? My internet being spotty is an understatement.
I don't think you can download it. Email them immediately and let them know. If you don't advise them, they just assume everything is ok.
CSC
Written Exam retry - 11/18 (Pass)
Interview - 1/19
References Package - 2/19
CTP 1 - 3/19
Psych - 3/19
CTP 1 Completion - 3/19
Medical - 4/19
Fingerprints - 4/19
Security - 5/19
Letter of Offer - 5/19
CTP 2 5/19
CTP 3 Kingston 6/11/19

Napa123
Rookie Member

Postby Napa123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Anyone recently have a follow up apt. with psych?