Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CanadianQuackers

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby CanadianQuackers » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Suikoden wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 am
Sorry for replying above. Thought this was general chit chat for cbsa when replying
No worries! I’ve looked into the various degrees that are offered online, I almost applied to Laurier’s MPS program, however, my issue with a lot of those programs is that they have a clear purpose. This isn’t to degrade anyone who is interested in them, but these programs are a way to meet future standards or certain requirements for officers, especially in Ontario where officers will soon require at the bare minimum 2 years worth of post-secondary education. When I was attending the online seminars for Laurier, most of the questions/discussions were directed at their police studies/online BA in criminology programs which made that narrative of serving an occupational purpose very clear. I think the requirements for the BA in police studies is to be a peace officer, so if that isn't a "red" flag, I don't know what is. It works well for those with a very narrow purpose/goal, but in general, it doesn't provide the same sort of learning environment for people looking for a more academic/research based schooling. I would say more but those discussions are best served for being either in a PM or chat offline.

I transferred out of a major in criminology actually, because it doesn’t suit my interests. I’m looking into things that would compliment my BA (honours poli-sci), so either graduate schools with some sort of research component or a thesis. I may actually take a BSc (geography), part-time, to fill the void while I wait for a few job applications to process since they seem to be about 1.5-2 years, which is about the length of a second degree. It would be two-fold, giving me time to pursue something I enjoy while serving as an alternative pathway in the future if the CBSA doesn't work out.

affinity54
Rookie Member

Postby affinity54 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm
Back in the day, the CIT was an all day test. Portions of the morning testing consisted of providing information that you had a specific amount of time to study and would be tested on in the afternoon. It was common knowledge that a time management strategy was crucial in order to do well on the test. I'm surprised that 25 years later people are still challenged by this rather basic strategy for doing well in written testing. You are being tested on more than knowledge. You are being tested on time management, adaptability, assessing priorities, the ability to handle stressful situations.... the list goes on.

Learn from the experience and you will do better next time.
This will likely give away my vintage, but I remember writing the CIT myself. I realize it may be more efficient and allows you to test more applicants, but now that I’ve “written” the OTEE, I much prefer the “pencil to paper” or at least an “in person” approach for various logistical reasons.

I completely agree with you regarding what is being tested and how the test should be approached. It’s very easy to become overwhelmed and distracted and there appears to be plenty of advice here and elsewhere on how to combat that.
Last edited by affinity54 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lastsamurai
Rookie Member

Postby lastsamurai » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:08 pm

any suggestion on OTEE? or any material I can prepare for it?

sss2016
Veteran Member

Postby sss2016 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:45 am

Hi all,

Gosh I've been trying to look everywhere for the OTEE sample questions. I found one that has only 10 questions. Is there something online i can find that has more questions to practice on?

TIA

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:35 pm

sss2016 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:45 am
Hi all,

Gosh I've been trying to look everywhere for the OTEE sample questions. I found one that has only 10 questions. Is there something online i can find that has more questions to practice on?

TIA
Most police aptitude exams will all have the same questions. So do the R-PAB and APCAT practice exams. Those will give you an idea of what to expect on the OTEE.
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

sss2016
Veteran Member

Postby sss2016 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:16 am

Tornelco wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:35 pm
sss2016 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:45 am
Hi all,

TIA
Most police aptitude exams will all have the same questions. So do the R-PAB and APCAT practice exams. Those will give you an idea of what to expect on the OTEE.
Excellent!Thank you!

LargeFarva
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA! Practice Test Services

Postby LargeFarva » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 pm

With the OTEE test coming up shortly and I am wondering if anyone has used practice services like cognitive results or public service prep? Is the content worth the cost? Yes I know if I pass it is definitely worth it, I just don't want to spend that much and not feel like it helped.

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm

LargeFarva wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 pm
With the OTEE test coming up shortly and I am wondering if anyone has used practice services like cognitive results or public service prep? Is the content worth the cost? Yes I know if I pass it is definitely worth it, I just don't want to spend that much and not feel like it helped.
Police prep is definitely a good resource to use. Make sure you use multiple different agency's exams like the RCMP exam and the Alberta Police Exam. Most police agencies are all testing for similar stuff, so their questions won't vary as much. I've personally taken police aptitude exams and noticed all similar questions. Every exam does have its own uniqueness as well so don't think otherwise.

LargeFarva
Rookie Member

Postby LargeFarva » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:28 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm
LargeFarva wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 pm
Police prep is definitely a good resource to use. Make sure you use multiple different agency's exams like the RCMP exam and the Alberta Police Exam. Most police agencies are all testing for similar stuff, so their questions won't vary as much. I've personally taken police aptitude exams and noticed all similar questions. Every exam does have its own uniqueness as well so don't think otherwise.
I notice Police prep just recycles the same questions regardless of practice test. Has anyone used any other services? Thank you for your advice, anything is better than nothing lol.

RugerBlue26
Rookie Member

Postby RugerBlue26 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:35 am

Hello (:

I am applying to be an SBSO for Summer 2019. Got an email a week ago saying that I passed my interviews and such, and if I pass my security interview, and as vacancies arrive, I may be offered a position.

Does anyone have any idea if vacancies will arrive? Do I have a good shot at getting the position if I passed my medical and all I have left is to be security cleared? Thanks!
SBSO PRA
Applied: Nov 28, 2018
OTEE: Jan 8, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 1, 2019]
Interview: Jan 15, 2019 [PASSED, Feb 26, 2019]
Security: Feb 12, 2019
Medical: Mar 8, 2019

sbchnn
Rookie Member

Postby sbchnn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi All!

Does anyone possibly know the passing mark for OTEE? many people on this forum who passed said that they have 85% or just a "pass". I've been doing some test on the public service prep and getting around 70%. Please give me a scout if anyone knows!!
BC Applicant
Applied: April 12, 2018
GCT2 & WCPT: July 17, 2018 - Failed

Applied: February 03, 2019
OTEE: March 11-15, 2019

Tornelco
Veteran Member

Postby Tornelco » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:12 pm

EDIT NVM

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Is there often overtime available at ports?
Corrections Officer

kungfucious0_0
Rookie Member

Postby kungfucious0_0 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:49 am

delete post. please disregard
Last edited by kungfucious0_0 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pacific Region

PiknPanda
Rookie Member

Postby PiknPanda » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:54 am

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:30 pm

“You must complete your exam in one sitting.”

“Special Instructions:
· Candidates must complete the test within the time frame indicated above;”

“After receiving your confirmation, you will receive a separate e-mail from the EPSI group containing an access code and link to the OTEE. You must complete the test within the time frame indicated above. *Note: Once you start the test, you must complete it within the 2.5 hours (150 minutes) allotted.”
Back to the references above, did you find out if missing a few questions towards to end of the exam automatically disqualifies you? In other words, if you run out of time but have enough right answers to pass, do you still get screened out?