Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

PotatoSalad
Rookie Member

Re: Fisheries Officer (DFO)

Postby PotatoSalad » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:20 am

OfficerBritt wrote:Good Morning! :)

Anyone in the current Fishery Officer process and in the final stages? I am in the pre qualified pool. I have my physical on Monday! Super nervous, hope it goes well and then IM IN!!

Cheers!
I'm in the pre qualified pool as well. How did the physical go?

JonH_BC
Rookie Member

Postby JonH_BC » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:30 am

Hey everyone,

I am in the current troop going through depot, if you have any questions about how the process went for me, I'd be happy to answer them!

Jon

PotatoSalad
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoSalad » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:09 pm

JonH_BC wrote:Hey everyone,

I am in the current troop going through depot, if you have any questions about how the process went for me, I'd be happy to answer them!

Jon
Could you give a timeline on the order everything was completed for you? Rough dates and order for the stages in the selection process. Thanks!

JonH_BC
Rookie Member

Postby JonH_BC » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:53 pm

For me initially I applied in 2015, and the job poster went out sometime in April/March. By July I had written my exams and had my interview. I ran the PARE shortly after that and made it into the pool. A final determination was made in mid-November that I was not going to make the following troop in January as others were ahead of me in the queue from the previous pool. Fast forward to 2017, and I got a call in March asking if I was still interested, then things moved very fast, they booked my medical/psych evaluations, I ran the PARE again, and was confirmed to be attending July training in mid-June.

Hope this helps.

OfficerBritt
Rookie Member

Postby OfficerBritt » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm

PotatoSalad wrote:

Anyone in the current Fishery Officer process and in the final stages? I am in the pre qualified pool. I have my physical on Monday! Super nervous, hope it goes well and then IM IN!!

Cheers!

I passed the PARE! Got my email regarding getting appointments set up for medical, hearing/vision and psych! How about yourself?

PotatoSalad
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoSalad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:40 pm

OfficerBritt wrote:
PotatoSalad wrote:

Cheers!

I passed the PARE! Got my email regarding getting appointments set up for medical, hearing/vision and psych! How about yourself?
Congrats! Good luck on the medical, hearing/vision and psych! I did one of these psych's before for my current job and it can be stressful.

I have my PARE next week which shouldn't be an issue. I was told the medical and psych will be scheduled after I submit my PARE results.

Bubbles1993
Grand Poobah

Postby Bubbles1993 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:16 am

To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde

doward16
Rookie Member

Postby doward16 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Good luck
Last edited by doward16 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoHead » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:33 pm

doward16 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:46 pm
How was the medical? How did they conduct their hearing test? Did they give any vaccinations?
I'm PotatoSalad. I couldn't get into my old account so I had to make a new one.

The medical went well. I passed and was successful in the competition. I will be going to the next training class.

I honestly don't know if we are suppose to discuss the medical. I'm sure it would be alright but I'll just avoid doing so as I'm not certain.

juby14
Rookie Member

Postby juby14 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:41 am

Has anyone else been confirmed for the upcoming depot? I have been tabbed for the pacific region. I have had classmates go through the past two troops and both were different so I am interested and excited to see what this one will be like!

PotatoHead
Rookie Member

Postby PotatoHead » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:36 pm

I am confirmed for the upcoming depot. I am pacific region as well.

Enviro83
Rookie Member

Postby Enviro83 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:41 am

Confirmed out of Central & Arctic. See ya'll soon.

Hopeful-1
Sage Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 am

Hello all.
I’ve made it through initial screening in the latest DFO competition and have been invited to take the WCPT-351 exam in 2 weeks. I was told I could submit previous scores, which I did but admittedly they are not the best scores. I received confirmation back that they are a pass but was told a top down selection may occur to proceed. I’m wondering if other successful applicants can share what score they needed to move on in the competition so I can decide if I need to try to get time off work to rewrite the WCPT to try to achieve a higher mark or roll with what I have. Any info or advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during UoF training

JollyDFO
Rookie Member

Postby JollyDFO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Hey All,

I just received my testing date for the WCPT-351. Anybody taking the test in PEI, feel free to message me!

Jolly

Hopeful-1
Sage Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Hello all!!
Has anyone heard anything from the latest round of testing for Selection process number: 18-DFO-NCR-EA-EFM-249303? (Feb 28th for me). I know it’s only been a few weeks, I’m just curious.
Thanks
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during UoF training