Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Nicholas1989

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Nicholas1989 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Following your application to the above-mentioned selection process, you are invited to participate in the Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE). This online test is designed to assess a number of competencies required for the position of a border services officer.

Time frame: The online exam must be completed between Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 08:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time) and Saturday, September 15, 2018 until 11:59 PM (Pacific Standard Time)

Test duration: Two hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes). You must complete your exam in one sitting.

Special Instructions:
· Candidates must complete the test within the time frame indicated above;
· Candidates are strongly recommended to complete the test in a quiet area without interruptions;
· Exams cannot be completed on an OPERA browser as it is not compatible with the platform;
· Candidates must use a Microsoft/Mac Desktop or Laptop. All other devices are not compatible (including tablets and iPads)

Language of Assessment: English

Official Language of Assessment:
You have the right to be assessed in the official language of your choice. If you wish to be assessed in the official language other than the “Language of Assessment” noted above, please notify the National Recruitment Team immediately at National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca. Please note that you may be invited to another testing session which may occur at a later date.

Confirmation of Participation:
Please confirm your participation by submitting the following webform:

Please confirm your attendance before September 6, 2018 11:59 PM (Pacific Standard Time).

After receiving your confirmation, you will receive a separate e-mail from the EPSI group containing an access code and link to the OTEE. You must complete the test within the time frame indicated above. *Note: Once you start the test, you must complete it within the 2.5 hours (150 minutes) allotted.

Request for Alternate Date:
Requests for an alternate date will only be considered for one of the following reasons:

Religious obligations;
Death in the immediate family;
Medical reason with a doctor’s certificate (proving illness for the entire week);

· Planned vacation with costs already incurred;

Paid military leave and/or training

Proof will be requested in these circumstances. If you require an alternate testing date for one of the above-mentioned reasons, you must notify us as soon as possible by email at: National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca. In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following: “OTEE – Alternate Date Request – Last Name, First Name.”

Accommodation Request:
If you have a functional limitation, disability or condition that could impede your performance for this testing, you must notify us by email at National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca immediately so that appropriate arrangements can be made. In the subject line of your email please indicate the following: “OTEE – Accommodation Request – Last Name, First Name”.

For more information on “Understanding the duty to accommodate during an assessment process in the federal public service”, please visit the following website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service ... rvice.html

Withdrawal from the Selection Process:
If you wish to withdraw from this process, you must notify us as soon as possible by email at: National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca. In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following: “OTEE – Withdrawal – Last name, First name”. In the message part of your email, kindly confirm that you wish to withdraw from this selection process.

Preparing for the OTEE:
The OTEE will assess the following competencies:

· Reasoning Skills: the ability of drawing conclusions or inferences from information to solve problems.
· Analytical Thinking: the ability to use a logical thought process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
· Client Service Orientation: the ability to provide the best service possible (quality, timeliness, completeness, knowledge / competence, courtesy, fairness, outcome, etc.) to both internal and external clients.
· Writing Skills: the ability to produce written documents, including correspondence, reports, documentation, etc., clearly and correctly, using plain language, and in a style and form likely to appeal to and influence the intended audience.

Final reminders for the OTEE:

Candidates must use either a MAC or Microsoft Desktop/Laptop. All other devices are not compatible (including tablets and iPads);
Exams cannot be completed on an OPERA browser as it is not compatible with the platform;
Candidates are strongly reminded to complete the test in a quiet area without interruptions;
Please note that you will not have access to any documentation during the test;
Please note that the use of other devices during the exam will be considered as cheating and you will be disqualified from the process;
Top-down or random selection may be used at any time during the selection process.

Re-writing the OTEE:
You must reapply after a period of one year (365 days) in order to be eligible to re-write the test.

For any questions related to the OTEE, please indicate in the subject line of your email the following:
“OTEE Question – Last Name, First Name.”

It is your responsibility to inform the CBSA Recruitment Team of any changes in your name, address, telephone number and/or e-mail by contacting the Officer Recruitment Program at National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.

Thank you for your interest in this selection process with the Canada Border Services Agency.

Yours sincerely,

Electronically signed by

Officer Recruitment Program / Human Resources Branch
Canada Border Services Agency / Government of Canada
National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

This is why im confused about what you said before, where did you read that... im sorry ive been glued on my screen for like 3 hours...?
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants

Hopeful-1
Sage Member

Postby Hopeful-1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Confirmation of Participation:
Please confirm your participation by submitting the following webform:

Please confirm your attendance before September 6, 2018 11:59 PM (Pacific Standard Time).

After receiving your confirmation, you will receive a separate e-mail from the EPSI group containing an access code and link to the OTEE. You must complete the test within the time frame indicated above. *Note: Once you start the test, you must complete it within the 2.5 hours (150 minutes) allotted.

This is why im confused about what you said before, where did you read that... im sorry ive been glued on my screen for like 3 hours...?
I see where where we’re getting our wires crossed. I’m referring to the email from the EPSI group with our exam codes. It says everything in that email.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during UoF training

Kevlar
Rookie Member

Postby Kevlar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:52 pm

vanessa11 wrote:
Nicholas1989 wrote:

huh????????????????????????

I mean if u got 105//132.. thats a def fail but if you missed like at most 5 questions maybe 10 thats fine If you answered like 85% of them u should be good

You should email them see what they say but for the most part I had no issues with the test

I found the questions annoying tho not relevant to customs

Hey Nicholas1989,

I get that you don't think that the OTEE was the perfect fit for what you think the entrance exam should be for custom officers, but it is clearly indicated that the test assesses the following four competencies (reasoning skills, writing skills, analytical thinking, client orientation). Whether the questions are related/relevant to customs or not, the results still indicate if the candidates demonstrate the four competencies, which are essential for customs officers.

Everybody on this forum has been through, or is going through the same/similar process, with no exception.

With that said, I find it unnecessary that all of your comments on this thread are negative, not forgetting your signature calling the OTEE "silly"...
Well said. I have noticed the same. Very arrogant and negative tone in the majority of the posts as well as lack of professionalism. Especially in that whole "cant believe no post secondary required" comment and Poor pay for having one.

I dont like to get involved in these types of posts but there has been a growing trend on this forum and its not welcome.

Ive spent 8 years inside a federal prison cutting down hanging bodies and saving the lives of people society wants to forget all while hoping to make it home alive to my family each day with as many hole in my body as i walked in with and clean from diseases.. Im not about to come on here and argue about the whole recruitment process or special privilage. We all start at the bottom. We all are new. We all have different backgrounds and noone is better or worse as a human. Its all in the approach and attitude.

Attitudes like the above poster mentioned get chewed up and spit out. CBSA is no different. Dont fight the system. Decide if this is for you and commit to it 100%. Silly or irrelevant or conveluded or time wasting or whatever, it separates the people looking for a job versus a career. Weeds out a lot of people not fully committed.

Hate to see what comments will be made if he gets screened out in the interviews or on personal suitability.

Nervous or anxious or whatever you want to call it, it speaks to your character and shows immaturity. This aint my first rodeo. Ive been through these processes before (successfully). Check your ego at the door and embrace all that this is with open mind and expectations. Thats the best advice I can give. The process is the way it is for a reason. Definitely no need to go back and fourth trying to disprove gravity here.

We all have the same goal.

Thats all I have to say about that.
Current CXII CSC - 2010

CBSA Application:
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10/16 - PASS 10/8/10/10
INTERVIEW 2018/11
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04/16 Pass
Medical: 2019/05/01
Security Checks: Started 2019/04/26
OITP:
Rigaud:

Jonny Utah
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Jonny Utah » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Well said. I’ve been on the job with CBSA for 12 years now. A lot of days are normal. Some are downright crazy. I’ve seen death, and overdosing, the results of physical and sexual violence that would make most people vomit on their shoes. Sometimes that’s all in one day. Sometimes nothing at all happens.

But I have definitely had newbies like the above come along thinking at 20 or however old they are that they have it all figured out. You don’t.

If all you can manage to do is complain about the process to get you in uniform you will probably complain and fail to listen to more senior officers when they are telling you things that will keep you from getting hurt or dead.

Displaying maturity at all stages is a must. Then being mature enough to listen and learn once you actually gear up will be the real test of your character.

Be safe all and good luck.

Ziggy Stardust
King Poobah

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Amen brothers, and/or sisters.

The process is nothing compared to the reality on the job. If the process is tripping you up, just give up now.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Latch527
Veteran Member

Postby Latch527 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Has anyone ever heard of an applicant completing all steps successfully and NOT getting an invite to OITP?

I was told invites are coming out in October and October is almost over.. getting nervous now.
Applied: 10/2016
PARE: 03/2017 & 03/2018
Interview: 06/2017
Exam: 02/2017
Security: 07/2018
Integrity Interview: 06/2018
Medical: 12/2017 08/2018
OITP: 12/2018
Riguard: 02/2019

bluenoser1
Rookie Member

Postby bluenoser1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Hopeful-1 wrote:
nesquik wrote:Hey everyone!

I took the OTEE online today and it went well, for the most part.
I actually got stuck on a section and lost some time there overthinking my answers. So in the end after 2 hours and 30 minutes of the allotted time I completed about 105 out of the 132 questions. Am I the only one here who didn't complete 132 out of 132 questions? Is it common to see someone not fully complete the exam? or in other words run out of time? I really hope I did well on the questions I did get to answer... but oh well! At this point I have to stop worrying about it and let go.

Let me know how you guys are all doing on your OTEE! and for those who are yet to take the exam, best of luck to you guys
I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but it states right in the email we received our directions and exam code in that if you fail to complete the test in the allotted 2.5hrs, the test will be considered incomplete exam and you will be eliminated from the process.

So sorry.

huh????????????????????????

I mean if u got 105//132.. thats a def fail but if you missed like at most 5 questions maybe 10 thats fine If you answered like 85% of them u should be good

You should email them see what they say but for the most part I had no issues with the test

I found the questions annoying tho not relevant to customs
A 105/132 is 80%. That's considered a fail? What's a pass? LoL

Edit: Upon retrospect I have gathered that you may have meant that if you have only answered 80% of the questions then it's unlikely that you would pass. In other words it's unlikely that all 105 out of 132 would be correct.
Last edited by bluenoser1 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulalynn71
Rookie Member

Postby paulalynn71 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Latch527 wrote:Has anyone ever heard of an applicant completing all steps successfully and NOT getting an invite to OITP?

I was told invites are coming out in October and October is almost over.. getting nervous now.
I have been following this forum for a long time. I have read almost all posts LOL... from everything I’ve been reading, invites come on Friday’s. I received an email 2 weeks ago (on Friday) that I needed to submit my pare results before the 24th. I’m crossing my fingers that tomorrow is the day!! Anyone else waiting on the Jan invites?

bluenoser1
Rookie Member

Postby bluenoser1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:17 pm

I haven't received exam results yet, but I was just wondering about the PARE. I've run the PARE with a local Police Department during their recruitment and scored a 3:30. Is that time going to be good enough to pass, or move into the next stage? I know 4:45 is the qualifying time, but I'm almost sure you have to do better than that to actually move on.

vanessa11

Postby vanessa11 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 pm

bluenoser1 wrote:I haven't received exam results yet, but I was just wondering about the PARE. I've run the PARE with a local Police Department during their recruitment and scored a 3:30. Is that time going to be good enough to pass, or move into the next stage? I know 4:45 is the qualifying time, but I'm almost sure you have to do better than that to actually move on.
Hey! The PARE is actually a pass or fail kind of test. If you score anything under the 4:45 time limit, it's a pass.
I hope this answers your question.
QC
Applied: 2017.2.15
Interview: 2017.11.2
Security: 2017.11.27
PARE: 2017.11.30
Written psych: 2017.12.11
Psych interview: 2017.12.13
Med: 2018.1.22
SLE: 2018.3.14 - 2018.4.11 results : C-C-C
Integrity int : 2018.7.10
OITP: 2018.11.26
Rigaud: 2019.1.14

Latch527
Veteran Member

Postby Latch527 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:36 pm

paulalynn71 wrote:
Latch527 wrote:Has anyone ever heard of an applicant completing all steps successfully and NOT getting an invite to OITP?

I have been following this forum for a long time. I have read almost all posts LOL... from everything I’ve been reading, invites come on Friday’s. I received an email 2 weeks ago (on Friday) that I needed to submit my pare results before the 24th. I’m crossing my fingers that tomorrow is the day!! Anyone else waiting on the Jan invites?
Well it is Friday and no invite. Guess I will just keep waiting. I haven't received a rejection letter so that is a plus I suppose.

When does online start for the February intake?
Applied: 10/2016
PARE: 03/2017 & 03/2018
Interview: 06/2017
Exam: 02/2017
Security: 07/2018
Integrity Interview: 06/2018
Medical: 12/2017 08/2018
OITP: 12/2018
Riguard: 02/2019

Jettagirl1
Rookie Member

Postby Jettagirl1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:12 pm

paulalynn71 wrote:

I am also still waiting for a January invite.... do not give up hope. Unless someone here has someone on the inside who is telling them all invites have been sent out already I do not think we should give up and jump to conclusions that were not getting into January intake. Some of the people who received invites this week may end up rejecting them for whatever reason.

So far I have not heard from anyone in Ontario using this forum getting an invite yet, unless someone here can contest to that?
ON
Applied- June 16/17
Interview- Feb. 1/18
Psych- Feb. 21/18
Security- Feb. 28/18- OBTAINED Aug 28, 2018
Medical Exams- March 20/18
PARE- April 18/18
Integrity Interview- Aug. 1/18
OITP- Dec. 20, 2018
Rigaud- Feb. 11, 2019 (13B)

BraCanCBSA
Rookie Member

Postby BraCanCBSA » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Jettagirl1 wrote:
paulalynn71 wrote:

I am also still waiting for a January invite.... do not give up hope. Unless someone here has someone on the inside who is telling them all invites have been sent out already I do not think we should give up and jump to conclusions that were not getting into January intake. Some of the people who received invites this week may end up rejecting them for whatever reason.

So far I have not heard from anyone in Ontario using this forum getting an invite yet, unless someone here can contest to that?

I agree, we still have time for the OITP, it doesn't mean that email needs to come exactly 1 month in advance. There is hope... :bow: :bow: :alright: :alright:
Applied - Jan 16th, 2017
Interview - PASSED
Psychological Test/interview - PASSED
Medical Exams - July 2017 -- July 2018
PARE - Nov 2017 - PASSED
Security Interview - May 2018 OK
OITP - Nov 26th
Clearance - July 2018 - PASSED
Rigaud - January 14th 2019

BoltUp

Postby BoltUp » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Has anyone who wrote the OTEE in September on October heard back re results yet?
CBSA Application:

Applied: Sept, 2018
OTEE: Oct, 2018
PARE: Nov, 2018
Interview: Nov, 2018

Pscych Evaluation: April, 2019
Security papers sent April 2019
Medical Evaluation: May 2019
Security Interview:
OITP:
Rigaud:

avee905
Rookie Member

Postby avee905 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:53 pm

CNYEG wrote:Has anyone who wrote the OTEE in September on October heard back re results yet?
Nothing yet - the results should be available within the next few weeks apparently.
Applied - Aug. 2018
OTEE - Sept. 2018
Interview - February 2019
CFSC/CRFSC - April 2019
Psych: Pending