Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
vanessa11
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby vanessa11 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:24 pm

whitetiger wrote:
vanessa11 wrote:
whitetiger wrote:Hey guys and gals,

So I've been hearing about the integrity interview what exactly is it? Polygraph? If so what kind of questions will I be expected to hear?


Thanks,
Alex


Hey! The integrity interview doesn’t consist of a polygraph. You are a simple google search away of the questions you will be asked.


Guess I was on the right PDF, so I assume you just fill that PDF out and they "double check" your answers during that interview?


The interviewer will ask the questions verbally and fill in the document. At the end, you will have the chance to double-check what you answered and change or justify your answers if needed. The whole interview is recorded. :) I hope this helps!
Applied: 2017.2.15
Interview: 2017.11.2
Security: 2017.11.27
PARE: 2017.11.30
Written psych: 2017.12.11
Psych interview: 2017.12.13
Med: 2018.1.22
SLE: 2018.3.14 - 2018.4.11 results : C-C-C
Integrity int : 2018.7.10
OITP: 2018.11.26
Rigaud: 2019.1.14

BSO

bluenoser1
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:16 am
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby bluenoser1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 pm

There is no polygraph, but they will likely ask questions about your history, ie. alcohol and drug use. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just be honest. That's what they're looking for. No one is a saint, but if you can show that you are honest and learned from your past then you will be in a better position to pass the interview.

whitetiger
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby whitetiger » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 pm

vanessa11 wrote:
whitetiger wrote:
vanessa11 wrote:
Hey! The integrity interview doesn’t consist of a polygraph. You are a simple google search away of the questions you will be asked.


Guess I was on the right PDF, so I assume you just fill that PDF out and they "double check" your answers during that interview?


The interviewer will ask the questions verbally and fill in the document. At the end, you will have the chance to double-check what you answered and change or justify your answers if needed. The whole interview is recorded. :) I hope this helps!


bluenoser1 wrote:There is no polygraph, but they will likely ask questions about your history, ie. alcohol and drug use. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just be honest. That's what they're looking for. No one is a saint, but if you can show that you are honest and learned from your past then you will be in a better position to pass the interview.


Awesome, thanks for your help! :D

nesquik
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby nesquik » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Hey everyone!

I took the OTEE online today and it went well, for the most part.
I actually got stuck on a section and lost some time there overthinking my answers. So in the end after 2 hours and 30 minutes of the allotted time I completed about 105 out of the 132 questions. Am I the only one here who didn't complete 132 out of 132 questions? Is it common to see someone not fully complete the exam? or in other words run out of time? I really hope I did well on the questions I did get to answer... but oh well! At this point I have to stop worrying about it and let go.

Let me know how you guys are all doing on your OTEE! and for those who are yet to take the exam, best of luck to you guys

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Hopeful-1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:15 am

nesquik wrote:Hey everyone!

I took the OTEE online today and it went well, for the most part.
I actually got stuck on a section and lost some time there overthinking my answers. So in the end after 2 hours and 30 minutes of the allotted time I completed about 105 out of the 132 questions. Am I the only one here who didn't complete 132 out of 132 questions? Is it common to see someone not fully complete the exam? or in other words run out of time? I really hope I did well on the questions I did get to answer... but oh well! At this point I have to stop worrying about it and let go.

Let me know how you guys are all doing on your OTEE! and for those who are yet to take the exam, best of luck to you guys


I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but it states right in the email we received our directions and exam code in that if you fail to complete the test in the allotted 2.5hrs, the test will be considered incomplete exam and you will be eliminated from the process.

So sorry.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Nicholas1989 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Hopeful-1 wrote:
nesquik wrote:Hey everyone!

I took the OTEE online today and it went well, for the most part.
I actually got stuck on a section and lost some time there overthinking my answers. So in the end after 2 hours and 30 minutes of the allotted time I completed about 105 out of the 132 questions. Am I the only one here who didn't complete 132 out of 132 questions? Is it common to see someone not fully complete the exam? or in other words run out of time? I really hope I did well on the questions I did get to answer... but oh well! At this point I have to stop worrying about it and let go.

Let me know how you guys are all doing on your OTEE! and for those who are yet to take the exam, best of luck to you guys


I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but it states right in the email we received our directions and exam code in that if you fail to complete the test in the allotted 2.5hrs, the test will be considered incomplete exam and you will be eliminated from the process.

So sorry.



huh????????????????????????

I mean if u got 105//132.. thats a def fail but if you missed like at most 5 questions maybe 10 thats fine If you answered like 85% of them u should be good

You should email them see what they say but for the most part I had no issues with the test

I found the questions annoying tho not relevant to customs
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Hopeful-1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:
Hopeful-1 wrote:
nesquik wrote:Hey everyone!

I took the OTEE online today and it went well, for the most part.
I actually got stuck on a section and lost some time there overthinking my answers. So in the end after 2 hours and 30 minutes of the allotted time I completed about 105 out of the 132 questions. Am I the only one here who didn't complete 132 out of 132 questions? Is it common to see someone not fully complete the exam? or in other words run out of time? I really hope I did well on the questions I did get to answer... but oh well! At this point I have to stop worrying about it and let go.

Let me know how you guys are all doing on your OTEE! and for those who are yet to take the exam, best of luck to you guys


I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but it states right in the email we received our directions and exam code in that if you fail to complete the test in the allotted 2.5hrs, the test will be considered incomplete exam and you will be eliminated from the process.

So sorry.



huh????????????????????????

I mean if u got 105//132.. thats a def fail but if you missed like at most 5 questions maybe 10 thats fine If you answered like 85% of them u should be good

You should email them see what they say but for the most part I had no issues with the test

I found the questions annoying tho not relevant to customs


It clearly states that failure to complete the exam gets you eliminated from the process.
This is a direct copy/paste from the exam email.

Exam Format

2.) You will have a total of two (2) hours and thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam once you begin. You cannot pause the exam for any reason and return at a later time. Once the exam is started, you must complete it. Should you not complete the exam within the specified period of time, it will be considered - 'incomplete'- and you will be eliminated from the process.

Don’t take it the wrong way. I’m not trying to argue. It just sucks to have a false hope and wait around for nothing. It’s only a year wait. It goes by fast. 90% of us posters on this forum have had some sort of deferral at one point
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

User avatar
Kevlar
Rookie Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:08 am
Location: PRA
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Kevlar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Ouch thats rough. Really sorry to hear you struggled. Is this your first time applying for law enforcement?

I had half an hour to burn so I went back through my marked for review questions and was happy with my answers on those and hit finish. I dont consider myself a genious, just knew that if I spent more than 1 minute on a question I had to skip it and come back later with a fresh look or make my best guess.

Everyone SHOULD finish that test. 2.5 hours is plenty. Time management and reading skills. Two basic and fundamental skills in law enforcement. It was right in the instructions :(
CBSA Ap
Applied: 2018/09/28
OTEE: 2018/10 - PASS 95%
INTERVIEW 2018/11 - PASS
Psych Eval / Interview: 2019/04 - PASS
Medical: 2019/05 - PASS
PARE: 2019/11 - PASS
Security Checks: Started 2019/04 - Granted 2019/10
OITP:?
Rigaud:?

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Nicholas1989 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:52 pm

2.) You will have a total of two (2) hours and thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam once you begin. You cannot pause the exam for any reason and return at a later time. Once the exam is started, you must complete it. Should you not complete the exam within the specified period of time, it will be considered - 'incomplete'- and you will be eliminated from the process.

didnt say that for mine


Test duration: Two hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes). You must complete your exam in one sitting.

Special Instructions:
· Candidates must complete the test within the time frame indicated above;
· Candidates are strongly recommended to complete the test in a quiet area without interruptions;
· Exams cannot be completed on an OPERA browser as it is not compatible with the platform;
· Candidates must use a Microsoft/Mac Desktop or Laptop. All other devices are not compatible (including tablets and iPads)
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad

vanessa11
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby vanessa11 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:

huh????????????????????????

I mean if u got 105//132.. thats a def fail but if you missed like at most 5 questions maybe 10 thats fine If you answered like 85% of them u should be good

You should email them see what they say but for the most part I had no issues with the test

I found the questions annoying tho not relevant to customs



Hey Nicholas1989,

I get that you don't think that the OTEE was the perfect fit for what you think the entrance exam should be for custom officers, but it is clearly indicated that the test assesses the following four competencies (reasoning skills, writing skills, analytical thinking, client orientation). Whether the questions are related/relevant to customs or not, the results still indicate if the candidates demonstrate the four competencies, which are essential for customs officers.

Everybody on this forum has been through, or is going through the same/similar process, with no exception.

With that said, I find it unnecessary that all of your comments on this thread are negative, not forgetting your signature calling the OTEE "silly"...
Last edited by vanessa11 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Applied: 2017.2.15
Interview: 2017.11.2
Security: 2017.11.27
PARE: 2017.11.30
Written psych: 2017.12.11
Psych interview: 2017.12.13
Med: 2018.1.22
SLE: 2018.3.14 - 2018.4.11 results : C-C-C
Integrity int : 2018.7.10
OITP: 2018.11.26
Rigaud: 2019.1.14

BSO

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Nicholas1989 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:59 pm

sorry vanessa11

Im just worried and anxious
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad

vanessa11
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby vanessa11 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:sorry vanessa11

Im just worried and anxious


No problem, I can relate! Just a friendly reminder that this forum is made to help and support eachother in this process :D Thanks for your comprehension!
Applied: 2017.2.15
Interview: 2017.11.2
Security: 2017.11.27
PARE: 2017.11.30
Written psych: 2017.12.11
Psych interview: 2017.12.13
Med: 2018.1.22
SLE: 2018.3.14 - 2018.4.11 results : C-C-C
Integrity int : 2018.7.10
OITP: 2018.11.26
Rigaud: 2019.1.14

BSO

Hopeful-1
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Hopeful-1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Nicholas1989 wrote:2.) You will have a total of two (2) hours and thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam once you begin. You cannot pause the exam for any reason and return at a later time. Once the exam is started, you must complete it. Should you not complete the exam within the specified period of time, it will be considered - 'incomplete'- and you will be eliminated from the process.

didnt say that for mine


Test duration: Two hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes). You must complete your exam in one sitting.

Special Instructions:
· Candidates must complete the test within the time frame indicated above;
· Candidates are strongly recommended to complete the test in a quiet area without interruptions;
· Exams cannot be completed on an OPERA browser as it is not compatible with the platform;
· Candidates must use a Microsoft/Mac Desktop or Laptop. All other devices are not compatible (including tablets and iPads)


Well your not wrong there. That’s exactly what it says in your original email. Now go back and actually read your follow up email that had your activation code for the OTEE test and when you get close to the bottom you ll see exactly what I was talking about. Now I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt because you did your exam a month before me and it may have changed but if not, I’d suggest being a little more thorough in your reading of documents.
Rigaud - Aug 2017 - withdrawl injured during CDT

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Nicholas1989 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 pm

Hopeful-1 wrote:
Nicholas1989 wrote:2.) You will have a total of two (2) hours and thirty (30) minutes to complete the exam once you begin. You cannot pause the exam for any reason and return at a later time. Once the exam is started, you must complete it. Should you not complete the exam within the specified period of time, it will be considered - 'incomplete'- and you will be eliminated from the process.

didnt say that for mine


Test duration: Two hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes). You must complete your exam in one sitting.

Special Instructions:
· Candidates must complete the test within the time frame indicated above;
· Candidates are strongly recommended to complete the test in a quiet area without interruptions;
· Exams cannot be completed on an OPERA browser as it is not compatible with the platform;
· Candidates must use a Microsoft/Mac Desktop or Laptop. All other devices are not compatible (including tablets and iPads)


Well your not wrong there. That’s exactly what it says in your original email. Now go back and actually read your follow up email that had your activation code for the OTEE test and when you get close to the bottom you ll see exactly what I was talking about. Now I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt because you did your exam a month before me and it may have changed but if not, I’d suggest being a little more thorough in your reading of documents.


ok Im going to link you my full email for the OTEE if its allowed hopefully I wont get banned from here cus this is the only thing I got... and Im confused and im curious about what yours said


First I got this one


Hi

The new selection process 18-BSF-EA-NBSO-FB-007 includes changes to our assessment process and now includes the new Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE). Every applicant must write this exam. As a result, you have received an invitation to write the exam and must confirm by following the instructions on the invitation.

For more information on the officer trainee selection process and becoming a CBSA officer, please visit our web page at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/bso-asf/ ... e-eng.html

We thank you for your continued interest in the Canada Border Services Agency.

Sincerely,

Officer Recruitment Program / Human Resources Branch
Canada Border Services Agency / Government of Canada
National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Nicholas1989 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Following your application to the above-mentioned selection process, you are invited to participate in the Officer Trainee Entrance Exam (OTEE). This online test is designed to assess a number of competencies required for the position of a border services officer.


Time frame: The online exam must be completed between Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 08:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time) and Saturday, September 15, 2018 until 11:59 PM (Pacific Standard Time)

Test duration: Two hours and 30 minutes (150 minutes). You must complete your exam in one sitting.

Special Instructions:
· Candidates must complete the test within the time frame indicated above;
· Candidates are strongly recommended to complete the test in a quiet area without interruptions;
· Exams cannot be completed on an OPERA browser as it is not compatible with the platform;
· Candidates must use a Microsoft/Mac Desktop or Laptop. All other devices are not compatible (including tablets and iPads)

Language of Assessment: English


Official Language of Assessment:
You have the right to be assessed in the official language of your choice. If you wish to be assessed in the official language other than the “Language of Assessment” noted above, please notify the National Recruitment Team immediately at National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca. Please note that you may be invited to another testing session which may occur at a later date.




Confirmation of Participation:
Please confirm your participation by submitting the following webform:


Please confirm your attendance before September 6, 2018 11:59 PM (Pacific Standard Time).

After receiving your confirmation, you will receive a separate e-mail from the EPSI group containing an access code and link to the OTEE. You must complete the test within the time frame indicated above. *Note: Once you start the test, you must complete it within the 2.5 hours (150 minutes) allotted.


Request for Alternate Date:
Requests for an alternate date will only be considered for one of the following reasons:


Religious obligations;
Death in the immediate family;
Medical reason with a doctor’s certificate (proving illness for the entire week);

· Planned vacation with costs already incurred;

Paid military leave and/or training


Proof will be requested in these circumstances. If you require an alternate testing date for one of the above-mentioned reasons, you must notify us as soon as possible by email at: National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca. In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following: “OTEE – Alternate Date Request – Last Name, First Name.”


Accommodation Request:
If you have a functional limitation, disability or condition that could impede your performance for this testing, you must notify us by email at National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca immediately so that appropriate arrangements can be made. In the subject line of your email please indicate the following: “OTEE – Accommodation Request – Last Name, First Name”.

For more information on “Understanding the duty to accommodate during an assessment process in the federal public service”, please visit the following website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service ... rvice.html


Withdrawal from the Selection Process:
If you wish to withdraw from this process, you must notify us as soon as possible by email at: National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca. In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following: “OTEE – Withdrawal – Last name, First name”. In the message part of your email, kindly confirm that you wish to withdraw from this selection process.




Preparing for the OTEE:
The OTEE will assess the following competencies:

· Reasoning Skills: the ability of drawing conclusions or inferences from information to solve problems.
· Analytical Thinking: the ability to use a logical thought process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
· Client Service Orientation: the ability to provide the best service possible (quality, timeliness, completeness, knowledge / competence, courtesy, fairness, outcome, etc.) to both internal and external clients.
· Writing Skills: the ability to produce written documents, including correspondence, reports, documentation, etc., clearly and correctly, using plain language, and in a style and form likely to appeal to and influence the intended audience.


Final reminders for the OTEE:

Candidates must use either a MAC or Microsoft Desktop/Laptop. All other devices are not compatible (including tablets and iPads);
Exams cannot be completed on an OPERA browser as it is not compatible with the platform;
Candidates are strongly reminded to complete the test in a quiet area without interruptions;
Please note that you will not have access to any documentation during the test;
Please note that the use of other devices during the exam will be considered as cheating and you will be disqualified from the process;
Top-down or random selection may be used at any time during the selection process.



Re-writing the OTEE:
You must reapply after a period of one year (365 days) in order to be eligible to re-write the test.

For any questions related to the OTEE, please indicate in the subject line of your email the following:
“OTEE Question – Last Name, First Name.”

It is your responsibility to inform the CBSA Recruitment Team of any changes in your name, address, telephone number and/or e-mail by contacting the Officer Recruitment Program at National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca.

Thank you for your interest in this selection process with the Canada Border Services Agency.

Yours sincerely,

Electronically signed by

Officer Recruitment Program / Human Resources Branch
Canada Border Services Agency / Government of Canada
National-Recruitment_recrutement-nation ... asfc.gc.ca


This is why im confused about what you said before, where did you read that... im sorry ive been glued on my screen for like 3 hours...?
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], SemrushBot and 3 guests