Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
pennyjean75
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby pennyjean75 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am

NSMike wrote:
pennyjean75 wrote:
Latch527 wrote:Hi, I have recently done my security interview. I am curious as to how long I can expect to be waiting?


I think you should throw expectations out the window. I had my interview done October 31, 2017 and haven't heard anything. NSMike (I think that's the name - see a few postings back from yours) had an interview in May, 2018 and has already gotten to OITP.


Their process doesn't seem to make much sense. On the one hand, I'm glad that after two years I'm finally getting my chance, but feel somewhat guilty because I feel like I'm jumping the line a bit somehow. Who knows how they make these decisions.

Good luck!


No guilt for you! You applied March 2016? I think you've done your time and waited long enough. Congrats!
BC
Applied: Jun/16
Standardized tests: Sept/16
Interview: Oct/16
Psych test: Nov/16
Psych int: Nov/16
Med exam: Nov/16 and Nov/17
PARE: Jun 6/20
Integrity Interview: Oct 31/17
Security clearance: Jan 16/2020

BraCanCBSA
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby BraCanCBSA » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 pm

ashtronb wrote:
BraCanCBSA wrote:Getting a little confusing now... I did my security interview, I did the the OITP, I received the invitation for the 12C intake starting next week......but I have no email back from CBSA HR on regards of my clearance. Is it normal ? How long can it take... ???


I didn't get my security clearance before I went to Rigaud. I honestly didn't even know I had it until I signed my letter of offer at the end of week 18 and it said I had Secret Security Clearance. Don't worry about it. You have much more pressing issues you're gonna have to deal with!


Hi,
What you mean? You start the training at Rigaud without the clearance confirmation ? CBSA states in the OITP and the invitation to Rigaud that if I do not meet the requirements during the online phase, my application will remain active in the pool for the next intake.
Applied - Jan 16th, 2017
Interview - PASSED
Psychological Test/interview - PASSED
Medical Exams - July 2017 -- July 2018
PARE - Nov 2017 - PASSED
Security Interview - May 2018 OK
OITP - Nov 26th
Clearance - July 2018 - PASSED
Rigaud - January 14th 2019

NSMike
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby NSMike » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi folks,

here's a question for those of you who have one through Rigaud lately.

Is there anything you wish you'd planned ahead for? Like I'm (theoretically) leaving for the August 13th intake, and am struggling to figure out what I should do before I go. Is there anything I should get in order? My wonderful woman is going to be holding down the fort while I'm gone for the next few months.

Would you recommend I bring anything that isn't stated by the CBSA to bring to Rigaud?

Thanks!

Mike-
Mike
HFX, NS

CBSA
Applied 03 2016
Interview 07 2017
Psyc Assess 08 2017
Psyc Interview 09 2017
PARE 09 2017
Med 10 2017 & 18
Sec. Forms 11 2017
Sec. Int 05 2018
OITP 06 & 11 2018
Rigaud 01 2019

ashtronb
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby ashtronb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 pm

NSMike wrote:Hi folks,

here's a question for those of you who have one through Rigaud lately.

Is there anything you wish you'd planned ahead for? Like I'm (theoretically) leaving for the August 13th intake, and am struggling to figure out what I should do before I go. Is there anything I should get in order? My wonderful woman is going to be holding down the fort while I'm gone for the next few months.

Would you recommend I bring anything that isn't stated by the CBSA to bring to Rigaud?

Thanks!

Mike-


Bring a car.
RCMP Regular Member - H Division

ashtronb
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby ashtronb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:28 pm

BraCanCBSA wrote:
ashtronb wrote:
BraCanCBSA wrote:Getting a little confusing now... I did my security interview, I did the the OITP, I received the invitation for the 12C intake starting next week......but I have no email back from CBSA HR on regards of my clearance. Is it normal ? How long can it take... ???


I didn't get my security clearance before I went to Rigaud. I honestly didn't even know I had it until I signed my letter of offer at the end of week 18 and it said I had Secret Security Clearance. Don't worry about it. You have much more pressing issues you're gonna have to deal with!


Hi,
What you mean? You start the training at Rigaud without the clearance confirmation ? CBSA states in the OITP and the invitation to Rigaud that if I do not meet the requirements during the online phase, my application will remain active in the pool for the next intake.


Maybe. I did my Security Interview AFTER I got my OITP online invitation. I seem to recall receiving an email stating that I passed the security interview. Maybe that was my security clearance, but I don't think so. None of this process conforms to a standard. Nobody should be overly concerned about being granted security clearance. Unless you lied about something or deliberately withheld information, you'll be fine. And they'll invite you to Rigaud whenever they see fit to do so. Whether you know or whether you have clearance doesn't matter if you're sitting in your pod in the CM building learning primary questions. The CBSA obviously trusts you to be there and it's up to them to sort it all out so don't get too hung up on timelines or proactively seeking things. Do what they ask you to do: get this certificate, this license, attend this interview, run this obstacle course, be at this place. Everything else is out of your hands.
RCMP Regular Member - H Division

Stathakos
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 pm
Location: Prairie Region
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Stathakos » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:09 am

NSMike wrote:Hi folks,

here's a question for those of you who have one through Rigaud lately.

Is there anything you wish you'd planned ahead for? Like I'm (theoretically) leaving for the August 13th intake, and am struggling to figure out what I should do before I go. Is there anything I should get in order? My wonderful woman is going to be holding down the fort while I'm gone for the next few months.

Would you recommend I bring anything that isn't stated by the CBSA to bring to Rigaud?

Thanks!

Mike-


Save some money... If bringing a car isn't an option find someone who does have a vehicle. There will be weekends where you need to get out of the college and go to Vaudreil or Montreal... it can be a pressure cooker and you need to get away and de-stress.
The opinions expressed in the above post are the author's own and not of the Government of Canada or of the Canada Border Services Agency & the statements do not reflect any official government position.

Prairie Region - Southern Manitoba District

thekazjed
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby thekazjed » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Reading the thread. Or I guess more of other posters timelines. I’ve noticed that they are skipping the “exam” phase. Is this due to them having post secondary? Either it be College or University?

NSMike
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby NSMike » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm

thekazjed wrote:Reading the thread. Or I guess more of other posters timelines. I’ve noticed that they are skipping the “exam” phase. Is this due to them having post secondary? Either it be College or University?


That's correct.

They changed the process after I applied. I actually failed one of the entrance tests. After they changed it, they contacted me and told me if i could supply confirmation of my degree that they would throw out my test marks and continue on. Had they not done this, I wouldn't be in the process still.
Mike
HFX, NS

CBSA
Applied 03 2016
Interview 07 2017
Psyc Assess 08 2017
Psyc Interview 09 2017
PARE 09 2017
Med 10 2017 & 18
Sec. Forms 11 2017
Sec. Int 05 2018
OITP 06 & 11 2018
Rigaud 01 2019

User avatar
Tommy
Veteran Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Tommy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:56 am

Stathakos wrote:Save some money... If bringing a car isn't an option find someone who does have a vehicle. There will be weekends where you need to get out of the college and go to Vaudreil or Montreal... it can be a pressure cooker and you need to get away and de-stress.



This....


I think I had less stressful days driving convoys in Afghanistan, than I did in those damned 18 weeks at the college. It's not a terrible time, but it's not all fun either. Away from home, flat broke, and no sure thing guarantee of a job until you sign the contract.... It's an 18 week job interview.... You'll need to get away from it just to de-stress and be human a little bit once in a while.

Also, make a point of getting outside at least once a day or once every couple days. You can feel very institutionalized while you're there and getting outside even for 30-40 minutes for a walk can make a big difference.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

BraCanCBSA
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby BraCanCBSA » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Tommy wrote:
Stathakos wrote:Save some money... If bringing a car isn't an option find someone who does have a vehicle. There will be weekends where you need to get out of the college and go to Vaudreil or Montreal... it can be a pressure cooker and you need to get away and de-stress.



This....


I think I had less stressful days driving convoys in Afghanistan, than I did in those damned 18 weeks at the college. It's not a terrible time, but it's not all fun either. Away from home, flat broke, and no sure thing guarantee of a job until you sign the contract.... It's an 18 week job interview.... You'll need to get away from it just to de-stress and be human a little bit once in a while.

Also, make a point of getting outside at least once a day or once every couple days. You can feel very institutionalized while you're there and getting outside even for 30-40 minutes for a walk can make a big difference.



...." no sure thing guarantee of a job until you sign the contract" or "It's an 18 week job interview:" ..... - This can scare anyone, that's really intense !
Applied - Jan 16th, 2017
Interview - PASSED
Psychological Test/interview - PASSED
Medical Exams - July 2017 -- July 2018
PARE - Nov 2017 - PASSED
Security Interview - May 2018 OK
OITP - Nov 26th
Clearance - July 2018 - PASSED
Rigaud - January 14th 2019

User avatar
Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:34 pm

My refuge was the hills up behind the college. That was a long time ago so I hope things are the same. It was really beautiful back there in the woods and some really nice trails to walk or run. I tried to get back there often for some peace.

Another tip is to bring lots of books, fiction that takes you to another world or time. Great for unwinding before bed and clearing your mind. I found it helped me sleep well and dream of castles and far away worlds rather than nightmares about where I actually was.

And avoid the people that are in every class that are full of stress and self-doubt. It can be contagious.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

User avatar
Tommy
Veteran Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Tommy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:07 pm

BraCanCBSA wrote:

...." no sure thing guarantee of a job until you sign the contract" or "It's an 18 week job interview:" ..... - This can scare anyone, that's really intense !



Don't want to scare you dude..... It can be stressful, but keep in mind, if you're there, you're there for a reason. CBSA saw something in you and believed you were the right fit for the job. If you've made it that far, you can make it the 18 weeks.

Just work hard keep in the game and you'll do well.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

BraCanCBSA
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby BraCanCBSA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:24 am

Tommy wrote:
BraCanCBSA wrote:

...." no sure thing guarantee of a job until you sign the contract" or "It's an 18 week job interview:" ..... - This can scare anyone, that's really intense !



Don't want to scare you dude..... It can be stressful, but keep in mind, if you're there, you're there for a reason. CBSA saw something in you and believed you were the right fit for the job. If you've made it that far, you can make it the 18 weeks.

Just work hard keep in the game and you'll do well.



For sure.....there is no surrender !!! :alright: :alright: :alright:
Applied - Jan 16th, 2017
Interview - PASSED
Psychological Test/interview - PASSED
Medical Exams - July 2017 -- July 2018
PARE - Nov 2017 - PASSED
Security Interview - May 2018 OK
OITP - Nov 26th
Clearance - July 2018 - PASSED
Rigaud - January 14th 2019

User avatar
Leeworthy
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Petawawa, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Leeworthy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Tommy wrote:
Stathakos wrote:Save some money... If bringing a car isn't an option find someone who does have a vehicle. There will be weekends where you need to get out of the college and go to Vaudreil or Montreal... it can be a pressure cooker and you need to get away and de-stress.



This....


I think I had less stressful days driving convoys in Afghanistan, than I did in those damned 18 weeks at the college. It's not a terrible time, but it's not all fun either. Away from home, flat broke, and no sure thing guarantee of a job until you sign the contract.... It's an 18 week job interview.... You'll need to get away from it just to de-stress and be human a little bit once in a while.

Also, make a point of getting outside at least once a day or once every couple days. You can feel very institutionalized while you're there and getting outside even for 30-40 minutes for a walk can make a big difference.


Stressful driving convoys. Never lmao
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

User avatar
Nicholas1989
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby Nicholas1989 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:47 pm

why is everyone skipping written tests in 2018? has something changed of recent?
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], SemrushBot and 7 guests