Exploring out of province/country law enforcement options

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Shovelhead89
Rookie Member

Exploring out of province/country law enforcement options

Postby Shovelhead89 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello all,

It has been a dream of mine to be in law enforcement for as long as I remember. I'm 28, have a bachelor's degree in geomatics and have been employed in the field for the last 6 year's. I have delayed applying to local (BC) PDs until now. I will be applying to the rcmp and all municipal departments in BC but due to a half brother currently incarcerated, a couple arrests when I was much younger and a less then perfect driving history I would like to expand my search for a job in law enforcement to increase my chances of finding a job. Can anyone recommend where I can expand my search to? I am open to anywhere, in Canada or abroad. I heard a few departments in the states in less desirable locations are hiring immigrants. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Re: Exploring out of province/country law enforcement option

Postby MasterPlanMan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm

"A couple of arrests" when you were younger will hurt you anywhere you apply. No service is hurting bad enough for that to not be a siginificant issue. A poor driving history alone is going to be a barrier for you. You are underestimating the competitiveness of the job.

I would see how your applications locally go, and apply to a few instead of all. Take their criticism and issues seriously, to see what is realistic for you going forward.

Shovelhead89
Rookie Member

Postby Shovelhead89 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:23 pm

MasterPlanMan wrote:"A couple of arrests" when you were younger will hurt you anywhere you apply. No service is hurting bad enough for that to not be a siginificant issue. A poor driving history alone is going to be a barrier for you. You are underestimating the competitiveness of the job.

I would see how your applications locally go, and apply to a few instead of all. Take their criticism and issues seriously, to see what is realistic for you going forward.

One was for skeet shooting in the wrong place and the other was the officers mistake regarding firearm transportation laws. I am fully aware of the competitiveness locally hence this thread asking where else I can apply.

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:49 pm

State law-enforcement officer here. I'm unaware of any agencies that have lowered hiring standards or would hire someone outside of state or federal citizenship requirements. Care to elaborate?

Shovelhead89
Rookie Member

Postby Shovelhead89 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:38 am

lndshark wrote:State law-enforcement officer here. I'm unaware of any agencies that have lowered hiring standards or would hire someone outside of state or federal citizenship requirements. Care to elaborate?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.usatoda ... /70236828/

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 am

Shovelhead89 wrote:the other was the officers mistake regarding firearm transportation laws.

Ah, so the charges were dropped when the mistake was discovered?

Shovelhead89
Rookie Member

Postby Shovelhead89 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:57 am

Dave Brown wrote:
Shovelhead89 wrote:the other was the officers mistake regarding firearm transportation laws.

Ah, so the charges were dropped when the mistake was discovered?

Ive never been charged. I guess one was technically detained and the other I had to give them my shotgun and they agreed not to charge.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:34 am

Probably not as serious as you perceive, but that is entirely up to the recruiters of course. Good luck with the process and the only way to truly find out is to apply. Go for it.

Your past will all have to be disclosed of course, whether there were charges or not. As others have said, it is a very competitive process and you have a tough road ahead. But focus on where you want to go and be prepared to take full responsibility for your actions when you were younger. Explain what you learned from them. No one hires angels.

Just be careful about not taking responsibility for your actions. That will get you bounced faster than almost anything else short of lying about it. Officers don't seize firearms because they made a mistake.

If you are truly prepared to go anywhere in Canada and do anything they tell you to do, then focus on agencies such as RCMP, CSC or CBSA.

exle0987
Rookie Member

Postby exle0987 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am

I am a former law enforcement officer from the US midwest (currently residing in Canada)

In my state, qualifications for law enforcement officers are stipulated by state statute. In most instances, one must be between the ages of 21 and 35, have a minimum of high school education, no criminal convictions, US citizenship, and pass requisite physical agility and other testing.

Municipalities qualified as "Home Rule" communities may set additional or other qualifications. For instance, in my state, a major municipality waived both the 21-35 rule ... and further stipulated either US citizenship or Permanent Resident status (green card), with preference given to veterans and US citizens in that order.

If applying from Canada, without citizenship, it is not likely you will be given consideration.

You could, however, enlist in the US Army ... there are opportunities for the role of MP.

-- cheers

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 pm

In addition to what was mentioned by exle0987, many departments set a minimum of basic disqualifications that would automatically prohibit you from applying. If these dis-qualifiers do not apply to you, or if you have questions, disclose everything on your application. Many agencies will look at the individual circumstances and determine what is a mistake, poor judgement (as a youth) and other patterns. You indicated a pattern of stable behavior as an adult so be sure to list those as well!

Best of luck to you. If your interest is with departments in the US, be sure to note the citizenship requirements (especially in light of the current political climate...) and my advice is to look at larger metropolitan police departments who tend to want diversity in the ranks.

Shovelhead89
Rookie Member

Postby Shovelhead89 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Can anyone recommend anywhere else besides the rcmp, cbsa and provincial munipalties I can apply? Europe, Africa (parents are from South Africa so may be able to get citizenship easier), Asia, Australia?

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:38 am

Join the French Foreign Legion. Then transfer to the Gendarmerie after you gain citizenship.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Whoa there. You need to focus more. It is beginning to sound like you are in love with the idea of being a police officer but not in love with what it takes to become one.

Focus on who you want to serve most. The citizens of your own country is a good place to start.

I am sure this is not your intention, but you are starting to come across as the character in the film "Bowfinger" who gets off the Greyhound in L.A. and asks the first person she sees, "Where do I go to become an actress?"

You will never get answers unless you apply, and you will never apply if you just make lists of continents around the world who hire police officers. ("Pretty much all of them" is really the only logical answer to your last question.)

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Whoa there. You need to focus more. It is beginning to sound like you are in love with the idea of being a police officer but not in love with what it takes to become one.

Focus on who you want to serve most. The citizens of your own country is a good place to start.

I am sure this is not your intention, but you are starting to come across as the character in the film "Bowfinger" who gets off the Greyhound in L.A. and asks the first person she sees, "Where do I go to become an actress?"

You will never get answers unless you apply, and you will never apply if you just make lists of continents around the world who hire police officers. ("Pretty much all of them" is really the only logical answer to your last question.)

Son, you just been DB'd.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

JakeWood
Rookie Member

Postby JakeWood » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:14 am

exle0987 wrote:I am a former law enforcement officer from the US midwest (currently residing in Canada)

In my state, qualifications for law enforcement officers are stipulated by state statute. In most instances, one must be between the ages of 21 and 35, have a minimum of high school education, no criminal convictions, US citizenship, and pass requisite physical agility and other testing.

Municipalities qualified as "Home Rule" communities may set additional or other qualifications. For instance, in my state, a major municipality waived both the 21-35 rule ... and further stipulated either US citizenship or Permanent Resident status (green card), with preference given to veterans and US citizens in that order.

If applying from Canada, without citizenship, it is not likely you will be given consideration.

You could, however, enlist in the US Army ... there are opportunities for the role of MP.

-- cheers

Good luck getting a green card unless you have relatives, marry someone with US citizenship, win the green card lottery or work in a certain field (medical, IT, science etc). The United States has one of the hardest immigration schemes in the world.