GO / Metrolinx Transit Safety Officers (Special Constable)

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

DonutMan

Re: GO / Metrolinx Transit Safety Officers (Special Constabl

Postby DonutMan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:22 am

Can anyone comment on the exam for future reference?

Is it related to the role or is it more like a numerical & abstract reasoning exam combined with English language testing?

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Without giving away any particulars, I would say that the exam would be job knowledge related. IE Criminal Code, POA, etc.

Put yourself in the role and think about what sort of offences the officers would deal with regularly......assault, indecent act, theft, mischief, trespassing, etc.. Know 494 and 495. Most special constable services hire people with education in the field or with experience, unlike police services that hire from a variety of career paths, so they need to ensure that, before going in, the candidate has the ability to understand laws and apply them. OPC is 3 months of 8 hours a day, immersed in C.C., POA, U of F, etc, where special constable services have to smoosh those core studies into a shorter time period, alongside agency specific knowledge (IE Fare systems/enforcement - transit, geographical orientation/residence code/student code/etc - campus).
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

DonutMan

Postby DonutMan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:09 pm

devilwoman wrote:Without giving away any particulars, I would say that the exam would be job knowledge related. IE Criminal Code, POA, etc.

Put yourself in the role and think about what sort of offences the officers would deal with regularly......assault, indecent act, theft, mischief, trespassing, etc.. Know 494 and 495. Most special constable services hire people with education in the field or with experience, unlike police services that hire from a variety of career paths, so they need to ensure that, before going in, the candidate has the ability to understand laws and apply them. OPC is 3 months of 8 hours a day, immersed in C.C., POA, U of F, etc, where special constable services have to smoosh those core studies into a shorter time period, alongside agency specific knowledge (IE Fare systems/enforcement - transit, geographical orientation/residence code/student code/etc - campus).
Thanks a lot, you're very helpful. Have jotted down everything you have said for future reference in general, not specifically for this role.
Last edited by DonutMan on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Good luck. Fingers crossed.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

J.M.C.
Rookie Member

Postby J.M.C. » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently in the last few stages with references being called.

I'm just wondering what the next stages will be in the process??

Also, the training, how long is it? Where abouts? Is it like OPC and corrections where you pay for accommodations or commute every day?

Thanks in advance!

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:29 am

GO has a new HQ in downtown, most likely where you did your interviews and testing, where much of the training will be cantered. Previously, it would be varied amongst its Mississauga, Oshawa and Union facilities. You will probably still have to go out to a train yard for rail safety, which is in the west end.

If hired on, your first day you will receive your "B" pass, which will allow you to ride on the trains and buses for free. So commuting won't cost you anything. If you travel elsewhere for training, mileage is reimbursed.

Training is approximately 3 months, which includes; CC, TPA, LLA, SSA, CDSA, YCJA and Metrolinx Bylaw No. 2. Training in Presto, internal P and P, U of F (which includes scenario training on buses and trains) and your time with a coach officer.

The hiring process was: Written testing, 3 interviews, psych at OPP in Orillia, background, then conditional job offer. I can't remember if the 3rd interview (with the Director and a senior mgr) took place after background or not, but if they didn't feel you were a good fit, you were punted.

alexgue89

Re: GO / Metrolinx Transit Safety Officers (Special Constable)

Postby alexgue89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:30 am

Gonna revive this thread...

Anyone on here gotten an offer from their last recruitment drive? I have my final board interview next week and I am excited yet nervous at the same time, especially since the recruiters said that I can't really prepare for this one and that I just gotta go in and sell myself. It feels weird not preparing because this whole time at every stage I have prepared something and now I am told at the end that you can't. It's a strange feeling because you're so close yet so far away. It feels like the first time I swore a Part III in front of the JP. I was confident in my abilities but was still intimidated.

P.S. anyone know all the ranks with the service, I have tried searching on the interwebs but with no luck. I know it might not be useful info but you just never know when something you think is useless actually becomes useful.

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 am

I have my final board interview next week and I am excited yet nervous at the same time, especially since the recruiters said that I can't really prepare for this one and that I just gotta go in and sell myself.
It's a meeting between you, the director and inspectors. There may be a staff sgt now, but it's a meet and greet. It's all about the upper management, including Bill Grodzinski (the director - former chief supt of OPP HSD) getting to know the people who've made it to the final stage. When I did mine in 2012, we talked about my efforts to get dress uniforms implemented at my current work place, my interests, and how I felt about the job overall. I'm sure it's probably changed some since I resigned, but that's the jist of it.

Dress professionally, be personable (don't be a fricken robot), and calm your tits. Seriously, relax.

As for ranks....Sgt, Ssgt, Inspector, Director. Some in the investigative division call themselves detectives, which I'm not a fan of as legit detectives have training and experiences far exceeding what these peeps do, but I digress.

alexgue89

Postby alexgue89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 am

devilwoman wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 am
I have my final board interview next week and I am excited yet nervous at the same time, especially since the recruiters said that I can't really prepare for this one and that I just gotta go in and sell myself.
It's a meeting between you, the director and inspectors. There may be a staff sgt now, but it's a meet and greet. It's all about the upper management, including Bill Grodzinski (the director - former chief supt of OPP HSD) getting to know the people who've made it to the final stage. When I did mine in 2012, we talked about my efforts to get dress uniforms implemented at my current work place, my interests, and how I felt about the job overall. I'm sure it's probably changed some since I resigned, but that's the jist of it.

Dress professionally, be personable (don't be a fricken robot), and calm your tits. Seriously, relax.

As for ranks....Sgt, Ssgt, Inspector, Director. Some in the investigative division call themselves detectives, which I'm not a fan of as legit detectives have training and experiences far exceeding what these peeps do, but I digress.
Thanks for the info DW, appreciate the wisdom/guidance.

CrimeDoesntPay
Veteran Member

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17 am

How are you getting replies for anything? My application process closed in December and the application status is "accepting job submissions" hahaha
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

alexgue89

Postby alexgue89 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:03 pm

CrimeDoesntPay wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17 am
How are you getting replies for anything? My application process closed in December and the application status is "accepting job submissions" hahaha
I went back and looked at my job application on their website and saw this
Job Number: TRA001F
Job Status: Accepting Job Submissions
Submission Status: Completed – Updated: 28-Jan-2019

When you say "replies" do you mean email communications between myself and GO? I didn't really have a way to communicate with anyone until they contacted me first back in Sept and since then I have been communicating with my recruiting Sergeant.

Mr wolfdale
Rookie Member

Postby Mr wolfdale » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:24 am

We just hired 15 In February. I do believe we will have a second class this year sometime, unless budget/plans have changed.

Our ranks are Cst/Sgt/SSgt/Insp/Director

We have both an operations and operational support units along with our compliance services which includes our prosecution team, admin staff and Revenue Protection Officers.

We do have some special units such as, Investigations, Bike patrol, K9

allbrancereal
Seasoned Member

Postby allbrancereal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:34 am

Can you guys lay criminal charges or enforce MHA etc?

kingmodified
Rookie Member

Postby kingmodified » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:18 am

allbrancereal wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:34 am
Can you guys lay criminal charges or enforce MHA etc?
Yes, GO Transit Special Constables can lay criminal charges and enforce a variety of Provincial Offences including the MHA. Take a look at there website.....it has lots of useful information on it!