Winnipeg Bus driver killed

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Winnipeg Bus driver killed

Postby Boxer Dogs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Very sad. Does Winnipeg have their own Transit Security/Enforcement?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3981581

The fatal stabbing of a Winnipeg Transit driver is thought to be the first time a city bus operator has been slain on the job. Dave Wardrop, the city's chief transportation and utilities officer, said while drivers have died in collisions in the past, this is the first known case of a driver being killed in a violent altercation with a passenger.

Irvine J. Fraser, 58, was attacked at the University of Manitoba and died after being taken to hospital, Winnipeg police said Tuesday at a news conference.

"My fellow brother was murdered for doing his job last night, that's all I know," said Nelson Giesbrecht, who has been driving buses for Winnipeg Transit for 19 years.

"I'm pretty shaken up. It's supposed to be Valentine's Day, not a day of mourning. It's supposed to be about love, not death."

Officers with the major crimes unit, the forensics unit and the identification unit remained for hours at Dafoe Road West and Gillson Street, in front of Tache Hall, where police were called just before 2 a.m. Tuesday.

Witnesses helped direct police to a man who was arrested on the nearby frozen Red River — between Freedman Crescent and Marine Drive — which runs adjacent to the campus. The 22-year-old remains in police custody. No charges have been laid.

An officer with the canine unit fell through the ice when he went back to investigate the scene. He was pulled to shore by other officers and wasn't injured.

"I think the quick-thinking action of our members who were on the scene prevented this from becoming an even worse tragedy," Winnipeg police Chief Danny Smyth said.

Police said Fraser and the man who stabbed him were alone at the time of the attack. Investigators plan to review footage from cameras on the bus to determine whether the attack happened inside or outside the vehicle, Smyth added.

A large area of blood could be seen on the snow near a bus that was parked next to a curb.

"This is a rare occurrence," Smyth said. "It is a shocking story any time a public servant is killed while working.

"We don't think things like this are going to happen."

My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: Winnipeg Bus driver killed

Postby Tango5 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Friggen sick.

RIP
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

WAH

Postby WAH » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 am

Boxer Dogs wrote:Very sad. Does Winnipeg have their own Transit Security/Enforcement?

They don't. Transit Supervisors have Special Constable / Peace Officer status but that really just lets them turf people from buses and bus shelters. They call police for everything else.

cco
Rookie Member

Postby cco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:28 pm

There are so few transit supervisors and so many problems. We have a huge problem with budget in this province as well. The last govt ran us into the ground (almost 1 billion) so there are huge cuts coming down to attempt to catch up.

Transit police would make the most sense to me. However that costs $. We will see if this changes anything.
K div

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:09 pm

WAH wrote:
Boxer Dogs wrote:Very sad. Does Winnipeg have their own Transit Security/Enforcement?

They don't. Transit Supervisors have Special Constable / Peace Officer status but that really just lets them turf people from buses and bus shelters. They call police for everything else.

That doesn't sound like it would work very well. Calling the police is fine but they need a dedicated Transit Enforcement Unit with authority to issue fines and make arrests.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Boxer Dogs wrote:
WAH wrote:

That doesn't sound like it would work very well. Calling the police is fine but they need a dedicated Transit Enforcement Unit with authority to issue fines and make arrests.

Forget that Mickey Mouse shit. Transit police.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 am

There's not much that could be done to forsee or prevent an event such as this.
I mean it's not like the police can unstab you.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

WAH

Postby WAH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Need some Minority Report

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 am

WAH wrote:Need some Minority Report

Beat me to the punch
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:39 pm

I found it interesting this occurred the day after the other guy was released... sadly. Thought it might have been the same guy.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:37 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
WAH wrote:Need some Minority Report

Beat me to the punch

Obviously, he saw it coming.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

OCCOP
Veteran Member

Postby OCCOP » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:21 pm

WAH wrote:

Didn't know their supervisors have that authority. Last I heard Winnipeg Police Cadets provide the uniform presence and some undercover WPS officers do duties in that regard. They have considered special constable status last year...but didn't know that they had it.
"He who loses control loses!"

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 am

Hattie wrote:I found it interesting this occurred the day after the other guy was released... sadly. Thought it might have been the same guy.

Not the same guy but....well lets wait for the court case

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 am

Madeline236 wrote:
Hattie wrote:I found it interesting this occurred the day after the other guy was released... sadly. Thought it might have been the same guy.

Not the same guy but....well lets wait for the court case

It was my initial thought until I read the article that day. Just found it sadly ironic due to the proximity of the other guy's release.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.