Potential police applicant? Good applicant?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
EsivarT
Rookie Member

Re: Potential police applicant? Good applicant?

Postby EsivarT » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Can't tell if that's a serious post or not.

If it is... there's not much more to say other than apply and find out.

People keep coming back here asking that same question and it's always the same answer given. Recruiters are different. Some might expect more than others. All depends on what you get. Just apply when you feel you're at your best. Not when us forum members do.

Being able to figure things out yourself or not speaks to your maturity. There are many resources out there that can help you extensively. Get out there and find 'em.

Good luck with your pursuit!
York Auxiliary

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:18 am

@ Milkraider88 and the OP.....read the endless posts on "am I good enough?" in this section. You'll see endless people asking the same question after posting their "resume" (I used quotes because no one actually knows if what is posted is true).

You'll see the same answers over and over and over.....

No one knows what is good enough. Apply. No one here knows if you'll be the sparkle in a recruiter's eye. Even if you are, you still have to pass the hiring board and the higher ups in recruiting.

Go to the ATS website, click on "book tests", and do that. Once done, submit an application and see where it takes you.

Make a step forward....take a chance.....throw some mud on the walls and see what sticks.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

island swami
Rookie Member

Postby island swami » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:46 pm

thank you:) I'm just gonna give it a go and my all. See where the process takes me.

devilwoman wrote:@ Milkraider88 and the OP.....read the endless posts on "am I good enough?" in this section. You'll see endless people asking the same question after posting their "resume" (I used quotes because no one actually knows if what is posted is true).

You'll see the same answers over and over and over.....

No one knows what is good enough. Apply. No one here knows if you'll be the sparkle in a recruiter's eye. Even if you are, you still have to pass the hiring board and the higher ups in recruiting.

Go to the ATS website, click on "book tests", and do that. Once done, submit an application and see where it takes you.

Make a step forward....take a chance.....throw some mud on the walls and see what sticks.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Take DW's advice, apply and see how you do.
If you don't get in the first time, improve and gain more skills. Never give up!

There are tons of great topics to read on BlueLine for new applicants. You can get advice on the various steps of the process, fitness, written testing, etc.
Good luck!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

TR
Sage Member

Postby TR » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:23 am

Guys,

Many of our new recruits are coming to us with PhDs, several masters degrees, extensive professional work history, management experience, military experience, volunteer experience, or a combination of all of the above. The easiest part of a recruiters job is finding the most qualified people on paper. Almost all applicants come in the door with endless qualifications.

What truly makes you competitive is your interview, your background check, and the appearance of proper organizational fit. That is why you see these seemingly well qualified applicants stuck in the application process for years and years and years. We just don't want to hire them!

Learn some interviewing and networking skills and that will get you much further in the process than any degree, previous military rank, or prior board-level private sector job you recently left to pursue your passion of policing.

Few applicants truly understand this. That is why so many are unsuccessful and post here on Blueline about how they can't understand how their buddy who is less qualified got hired so much more quickly than they did.

EsivarT
Rookie Member

Postby EsivarT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Noted. Thanks TR!
York Auxiliary

island swami
Rookie Member

Postby island swami » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:16 pm

TR wrote:Guys,

Many of our new recruits are coming to us with PhDs, several masters degrees, extensive professional work history, management experience, military experience, volunteer experience, or a combination of all of the above. The easiest part of a recruiters job is finding the most qualified people on paper. Almost all applicants come in the door with endless qualifications.

What truly makes you competitive is your interview, your background check, and the appearance of proper organizational fit. That is why you see these seemingly well qualified applicants stuck in the application process for years and years and years. We just don't want to hire them!

Learn some interviewing and networking skills and that will get you much further in the process than any degree, previous military rank, or prior board-level private sector job you recently left to pursue your passion of policing.

Few applicants truly understand this. That is why so many are unsuccessful and post here on Blueline about how they can't understand how their buddy who is less qualified got hired so much more quickly than they did.

Yes, I've always wondered about exactly what you've said regarding the importance of the interview. Thanks for clarifying this and making it an "official" and completely legitimate skill. I've been (and will continue to do so) sharpening my interviewing skills as much as I can. I'm gonna get my app in for the new year and see where this takes me!

Cheers!