Yay or Nay? Am I a good candidate?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Vegeta
Rookie Member

Yay or Nay? Am I a good candidate?

Postby Vegeta » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Just wondering what everyone thinks about my candidacy and if I would be an attractive hire, or if I am wasting my time.

I am a 32 year old fit male and have been working in an auto plant for the past year due to home ownership and my common law girlfriend working few hours as a part time nurse.

I am a Registered Massage Therapist and Personal Trainer(In school received my 2 year diploma with an 80% average). (worked 1.5 years self employed through a physiotherapy clinic but was unable to pay the bills while building my practise)

Personal Trainer for 2 years prior to that while putting myself through school and working part time at a home improvement store.

Before that I was In school for the previous 2 years taking a 2 year Business and Commerce Diploma (graduated with 60 something average... whoops) and worked part time as a parking lot attendant. In between schooling I have usually gotten a fork lift operating job due to previous experience to pay the bills.

After high school I was travelling around Canada and working various jobs in many provinces and territories until the age of 21 so from 21 to 26 my life has been varied work experience and from 26-30 was me trying to build a self employed business.

I know they like to see consistency but unfortunately that has not been my path.

All my previous encounters with police has been:

At age 12 a friend's family had the keys to a neighbour's house to check up on it while they were away on vacation. The friend took the keys and 3 of us went to the house one day to hang out. the cops were called by other people in the area and came to my house and talked with my parents.

At age 14 I was with another classmate at school in between classes and were caught with a joint. Police came, no charges I cant even remember if we were suspended from school this was 18 years ago.

(I haven't smoked marijuana since age 15 which was 17 years ago)

At age 15 I was not going to school and staying over at a girlfriend's house most of the time. My parents wouldn't let me live in the house anymore and I got in a fist fight with my father and was sent to a juvenile detention centre for a day. no charges.

(I moved out on my own at 16 and completed high school living on my own working part time)

At 16 I altered my driver's license so I could buy cigarettes. I got caught and went to court and pleaded guilty to fraud in altering a government document.

At age 21 I was stopped at a traffic checkpoint in the town I lived in and was charged with over .80. I didn't drive for the next handful of years not being able to afford insurance and received a pardon about 7 years ago. I currently drink maybe a case of beer/year.

At age 27 My apartment was broken into and my roommates xbox and games were stolen. I called the police and they found a cigarette butt that was not ours pressed into the coffee table. They DNA tested the cigarette butt and it matched someone in the database. We were supposed to go to court to testify but were called last minute to not bother to show up.

I was no angel as a child and hung out with the wrong crowd. I have turned my life around and feel I am mature enough to be a police officer. I Interview well and am educated and very intelligent. I am also hoping my past will not make me an unattractive hire. I want this career more than anything and am willing to put in the time it takes.

I am currently a big brother in the get fit program teaching kids age 11-14 how to exercise and eat properly. Mainly taking them to the gym and helping them build confidence.

Any critique is understandable and appreciated.
Last edited by Vegeta on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EsivarT
Rookie Member

Re: Yay or Nay? Am I a good candidate?

Postby EsivarT » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:35 pm

do you think you're at your competitive best?
York Auxiliary

Fonthill
Veteran Member

Postby Fonthill » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Vegeta wrote:Just wondering what everyone thinks about my candidacy and if I would be an attractive hire, or if I am wasting my time.

I am a 32 year old fit male and have been working in an auto plant for the past year due to home ownership and my common law girlfriend working few hours as a part time nurse.

I am a Registered Massage Therapist and Personal Trainer(In school received my 2 year diploma with an 80% average). (worked 1.5 years self employed through a physiotherapy clinic but was unable to pay the bills while building my practise)

Personal Trainer for 2 years prior to that while putting myself through school and working part time at a home improvement store.

Before that I was In school for the previous 2 years taking a 2 year Business and Commerce Diploma (graduated with 60 something average... whoops) and worked part time as a parking lot attendant. In between schooling I have usually gotten a fork lift operating job due to previous experience to pay the bills.

After high school I was travelling around Canada and working various jobs in many provinces and territories until the age of 21 so from 21 to 26 my life has been varied work experience and from 26-30 was me trying to build a self employed business.

I know they like to see consistency but unfortunately that has not been my path.

All my previous encounters with police has been:

At age 12 a friend's family had the keys to a neighbour's house to check up on it while they were away on vacation. The friend took the keys and 3 of us went to the house one day to hang out. the cops were called by other people in the area and came to my house and talked with my parents.

At age 14 I was with another classmate at school in between classes and were caught with a joint. Police came, no charges I cant even remember if we were suspended from school this was 18 years ago.

(I haven't smoked marijuana since age 15 which was 17 years ago)

At age 15 I was not going to school and staying over at a girlfriend's house most of the time. My parents wouldn't let me live in the house anymore and I got in a fist fight with my father and was sent to a juvenile detention centre for a day. no charges.

(I moved out on my own at 16 and completed high school living on my own working part time)

At age 21 I was stopped at a traffic checkpoint in the town I lived in and was charged with over .80. I didn't drive for the next handful of years not being able to afford insurance and received a pardon about 7 years ago. I currently drink maybe a case of beer/year.

At age 27 My apartment was broken into and my roommates xbox and games were stolen. I called the police and they found a cigarette butt that was not ours pressed into the coffee table. They DNA tested the cigarette butt and it matched someone in the database. We were supposed to go to court to testify but were called last minute to not bother to show up.

I was no angel as a child and hung out with the wrong crowd. I have turned my life around and feel I am mature enough to be a police officer. I Interview well and am educated and very intelligent. I am also hoping my past will not make me an unattractive hire. I want this career more than anything and am willing to put in the time it takes.

I am currently a big brother in the get fit program teaching kids age 11-14 how to exercise and eat properly. Mainly taking them to the gym and helping them build confidence.

Any critique is understandable and appreciated.

Apply!

Nobody in the world is perfect

Now, you must explain why they need to hire you as you have a .80 over on your file
Have you learned from your lesson?
As a police officer does it give you the right to drink and drive.
Just explain the positive from the negative you learned and use all "I" when speaking and you shall do fine.

Good luck !

Vegeta
Rookie Member

Postby Vegeta » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:11 pm

EsivarT wrote:do you think you're at your competitive best?

As in? I believe I have matured well beyond the child I was back then. I am 32 years old and extremely physically fit. I truly believe I would be an asset with my life experience I just hope a recruiter doesn't see my past as a hinderance.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Vegeta wrote:

As in? I believe I have matured well beyond the child I was back then. I am 32 years old and extremely physically fit. I truly believe I would be an asset with my life experience I just hope a recruiter doesn't see my past as a hinderance.

Then apply and find out.
What's the point of asking such questions on the forum?

You know yourself the best, who cares what others think.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Vegeta
Rookie Member

Postby Vegeta » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Tango5 wrote:
Vegeta wrote:

Then apply and find out.

To ease my mind. I was talking to another candidate who has had 1 runin with police and it wasn't anything he did wrong. My question is about my background being too dodgey or unattractive. I know myself best yes, If I didn't care what others thought how the hell would I get a job as a police officer?

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Tango5 wrote:Then apply and find out.

To ease my mind. I was talking to another candidate who has had 1 runin with police and it wasn't anything he did wrong. My question is about my background being too dodgey or unattractive. I know myself best yes, If I didn't care what others thought how the hell would I get a job as a police officer?

And how hell would any of us know if your past or background is unattractive?
Things change, recruiting views change.
That's why I said, apply and find out.

Only the recruiters will be able to make a judgment and decide if you are worth the shot. Not us.

Vegeta
Rookie Member

Postby Vegeta » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Tango5 wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Tango5 wrote:Then apply and find out.

And how hell would any of us know if your past or background is unattractive?
Things change, recruiting views change.
That's why I said, apply and find out.

Only the recruiters will be able to make a judgment and decide if you are worth the shot. Not us.

Well I am applying I have my BPAD this coming sunday. Possibly I am looking for applicants who possibly have a similar past maybe? maybe who have started or completed interviews with a similar experience. This is a forum right? Your response could be used for everyone asking a question.... apply and find out! haha. I appreciate the response though thanks. I probably should've worded the intention better.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Well I am applying I have my BPAD this coming sunday. Possibly I am looking for applicants who possibly have a similar past maybe? maybe who have started or completed interviews with a similar experience. This is a forum right? Your response could be used for everyone asking a question.... apply and find out! haha. I appreciate the response though thanks. I probably should've worded the intention better.

It's ok. :D (I think you misunderstood my point)

I understand the concerns you have about your past and why you asked the question.

You just need to understand that it really doesn't matter what people think of your past.
You and only you will face recruiting explaining your actions from the past, the experiences of other people having similar past to yours make no difference to you.

To ease your pain: > Way worst were hired.
To add more pain: > Better, cleaner people... Weren't.

Apply.
Good luck to you.

ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member

Postby ShadowBrooks » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:48 pm

Never applied and likely never will for a Police job.

I have a friend that applied for RCMP and was removed from the competition because he didn't have life experience, lived in the same town he grew up in, one job etc.. Never failed at anything.

Looks like you've been around the block and now helping other people learn from your mistakes I think that's something recruiters might be looking for.
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:46 pm

IF you are not a troll, since I think 99.999% of these types of posts are, there is nothing any anonymous person on an internet forum can do for you.

We do not know everything about you and never will.

Ask a recruiter. You can call them and talk without wasting the time of filling everything out. They are the only ones who can tell you what their specific outift wants at this time and what they are willing to overlook in your past.

If you ARE a troll then sadly you have not obtained the responses you wanted.. yet.. be persistent someone will bite when you bring out the "oh and yeah I also killed a dude/smoke crack regularly/prostitute myself, but who are you to judge" post.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:23 pm

The best thing you can do if you get into the poly stages.. don't lie!
If you do you, you'll probably not get in and that'll end the leo career prospects.

You should also ask yourself, are you ready to deal with the stuff PC's, CO's, Sheriff's, deal with? Constant threats, fights, death, attacks on police, potential PTSD, and other dangers that are seen daily?
I've talked to recruiters who (i use this term lightly) waste time and resources on finding people just so they can get to on the job training and quit because they've seen something that doesn't resonate with them.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

The3wood
Rookie Member

Postby The3wood » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:33 pm

The worst thing they can say is "no"

All you can really do is put yourself out there and be honest!

I was deferred the first time I applied back in 2008. 2nd time I withdrew from the process just before receiving my PEP results because the timing just ended up not working for my wife and I. But here I am now at 38 yrs old heading to Depot with Troop #19.

If you want it go after it.
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016
MED CLEARED - JULY 2016
SC - SEPT 2016
Troop #19, Oct. 17th

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:23 pm

To be blunt, each service, hell each recruiter, will view your life, work and educational experience differently.

Some may view your "run ins" in your youth with police as beneficial as, even though police had contact with you, you're still choosing to make it your career path. That you didn't let those experiences colour you against police. Additionally, there's 17 years between those interactions, you were a teenager at the time, that you've worked hard to achieve your goals and give back to the community. That you work to better yourself, etc..

Some may think you're not suited, that no matter what, you made bad life choices. They won't care there's 17 years time between it, etc.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's a matter of finding the service that is looking for what you offer, much like E-Harmony. With less crazy chicks. (Those come later at OPC and in the form of badge bunnies) You just have to find that "perfect match".

None of us can tell you one way or another. Nor do our opinions mean jack. We aren't recruiters and even if we are police, we can't tell you what made us stand out to get the offer. No one knows that, except the very people who won't tell you.

Additionally, there are a tonne of people who come on this site, BS about their police interactions (aka down play it to make it seem less than what it was - or lie completely). So when people do give responses, it's based on the info provided which means nothing because it's false.

My opinion, apply. Know yourself. Be able to articulate those experiences. Don't make excuses for the past, show what you've done to move past those hiccups. Be honest. Don't take it personal....getting a rejection from a police service doesn't mean you're not a good person or even a good candidate, it just means you weren't good for them (again back to the dating metaphor....just because you don't click with one person doesn't mean you're not suitable with another). Don't become obsessed with it. Live your life. Be prepared to know what you'll do if you don't get an offer.

Most importantly.....don't feel entitled to a job offer.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:02 pm

devilwoman wrote:To be blunt, each service, hell each recruiter, will view your life, work and educational experience differently.

Some may view your "run ins" in your youth with police as beneficial as, even though police had contact with you, you're still choosing to make it your career path. That you didn't let those experiences colour you against police. Additionally, there's 17 years between those interactions, you were a teenager at the time, that you've worked hard to achieve your goals and give back to the community. That you work to better yourself, etc..

Some may think you're not suited, that no matter what, you made bad life choices. They won't care there's 17 years time between it, etc.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's a matter of finding the service that is looking for what you offer, much like E-Harmony. With less crazy chicks. (Those come later at OPC and in the form of badge bunnies) You just have to find that "perfect match".

None of us can tell you one way or another. Nor do our opinions mean jack. We aren't recruiters and even if we are police, we can't tell you what made us stand out to get the offer. No one knows that, except the very people who won't tell you.

Additionally, there are a tonne of people who come on this site, BS about their police interactions (aka down play it to make it seem less than what it was - or lie completely). So when people do give responses, it's based on the info provided which means nothing because it's false.

My opinion, apply. Know yourself. Be able to articulate those experiences. Don't make excuses for the past, show what you've done to move past those hiccups. Be honest. Don't take it personal....getting a rejection from a police service doesn't mean you're not a good person or even a good candidate, it just means you weren't good for them (again back to the dating metaphor....just because you don't click with one person doesn't mean you're not suitable with another). Don't become obsessed with it. Live your life. Be prepared to know what you'll do if you don't get an offer.

Most importantly.....don't feel entitled to a job offer.

Well put. I am still waiting for my badge bunny attention though. No interest in it but just something to check off the list :(