Ask a Sheriff

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BSO20620
Rookie Member

Re: Ask a Sheriff

Postby BSO20620 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Class 4 not cheap. I know CPS/EPS have been covering any expenses that a successful applicant receives during the application process. I doubt the GOA would do this as well but you never know.
RCMP Constable
K Division

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:18 pm

BSO20620 wrote:Class 4 not cheap. I know CPS/EPS have been covering any expenses that a successful applicant receives during the application process. I doubt the GOA would do this as well but you never know.

Oh well ill claim it on my taxes as well as CPR...no biggie...when u want smth-u go get it right?)
CPPS

mdh602
Rookie Member

Postby mdh602 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:18 am

For anyone interested myself and 2 other sheriffs will be at Southcentre Mall tomorrow from 8-4 with a few vehicles and a booth.

If anyone has any questions (interview questions, academy questions) feel free to come by.

BSO20620
Rookie Member

Postby BSO20620 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:51 pm

What is the difference between an SST 2 and SST 3? A description states a SST3 has a diploma plus two years related experience. Would a new hire into the Sheriffs branch with education and two years or more related experience start out as an SST3 rather then an SST2.
RCMP Constable
K Division

fo5ter
Rookie Member

Postby fo5ter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Do we know when interview calls are likely to be yet?

BSO20620
Rookie Member

Postby BSO20620 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:55 pm

soon Government of Alberta internal applicants have been contacted and they interview at the end of June. I would guess external applicants will be the start of July.
RCMP Constable
K Division

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:25 pm

BSO20620 wrote:What is the difference between an SST 2 and SST 3? A description states a SST3 has a diploma plus two years related experience. Would a new hire into the Sheriffs branch with education and two years or more related experience start out as an SST3 rather then an SST2.

Everyone starts as an SST2. Once you are off field training/probation you become an SST3.

subbie
Rookie Member

Postby subbie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 pm

Costs associated with putting yourself through the process is on the applicant. I applied in the fall of 2014 and went head to toe in the process. I am from Ontario and it cost me about $1000 bucks to get my P.A.R.E, Class 4 (F class in Ontario) fly to Edmonton for the interview and hotel... and snacks.... mmmm. Anyway, I am excited to be back in the process. I have a phone interview Monday and going to Edmonton between July 11th and the 22nd. Just need to get that confirmed date. If your out of province do what I did back in 2014. When your in person interview is done walk across the street to the law courts and walk around. Talk to some of the sheriffs. I got a full tour when I asked. It was cool to see where I could be potentially working.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:22 am

good luck on the interviews next week guys and gals!!!
CPPS

ThePants
Rookie Member

Postby ThePants » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 pm

I'm currently an MB Sheriff, will be interviewing this week. My opinion is that costs are what they are - best way to think about it is an investment in opportunity. In MB we have unpaid training for both Sheriffs and Corrections, that hurts. A lot of recruits burn their savings to the ground to get through that period. If this cost me a flight and a hotel ($800) on short notice, plus PARE ($100), it would hurt to be out $1000, but take from it what you can. Maybe I don't get through (but I hope to, clearly), but at the very least I want to make a positive impression, ask some good questions, and get a better feel for Alberta Sheriffs. Plus you can always swing by the Law Courts in Calgary - the facility is amazing and the officers there are totally approachable and willing to discuss the job with prospective applicants, in my experience. Take away what you can from the experience, and use it to prepare for the next opportunity. Getting hung up on the costs will just cast a pall over the whole thing at best, and at worst distract you from preparing for the interview itself.

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:16 am

ThePants wrote:I'm currently an MB Sheriff, will be interviewing this week. My opinion is that costs are what they are - best way to think about it is an investment in opportunity. In MB we have unpaid training for both Sheriffs and Corrections, that hurts. A lot of recruits burn their savings to the ground to get through that period. If this cost me a flight and a hotel ($800) on short notice, plus PARE ($100), it would hurt to be out $1000, but take from it what you can. Maybe I don't get through (but I hope to, clearly), but at the very least I want to make a positive impression, ask some good questions, and get a better feel for Alberta Sheriffs. Plus you can always swing by the Law Courts in Calgary - the facility is amazing and the officers there are totally approachable and willing to discuss the job with prospective applicants, in my experience. Take away what you can from the experience, and use it to prepare for the next opportunity. Getting hung up on the costs will just cast a pall over the whole thing at best, and at worst distract you from preparing for the interview itself.

That's a great attitude. Good luck in the process. PM me if you have any questions.

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:56 pm

Had my interview this afternoon...overall amazing experience...definitely enjoyed it...most of the questions i was ready for, which made it easier to go through the interview...one advice i can give is learn as much as you can and dont limit yourself to just one source...the GOA website for sheriffs has somewhat limited information...therefore some extra searching is required.
The Sergeant and the HR personell were great and very personable also.
Good luck to all.
CPPS

subbie
Rookie Member

Postby subbie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Well that didn't take long. Interviewed Monday afternoon... sent confirmation this morning to come to Edmonton in 2 weeks for the in person. Process is quicker this time. Much quicker. In 2014 I think I interviewed beginning of September and did not have the in person until mid November. Psych was 3 weeks after that. Is there a class being held in October?
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:05 pm

subbie wrote:Well that didn't take long. Interviewed Monday afternoon... sent confirmation this morning to come to Edmonton in 2 weeks for the in person. Process is quicker this time. Much quicker. In 2014 I think I interviewed beginning of September and did not have the in person until mid November. Psych was 3 weeks after that. Is there a class being held in October?

Ya theres one mid october...they are definitely rushing the process...which is nice for us but probably sucks for HR :/
CPPS

subbie
Rookie Member

Postby subbie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm going out July 13th for the in person. Leaving on the 12th. Anyone in the GTA going out there on that day or is able to request being interviewed on the 13th shoot me a PM. Maybe we can save on some cost. Taxi, hotel.
SPECIAL CONSTABLE
OPP Auxiliary Member